Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22612 22613 22614 ... 22705 22706 22707
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-05 21:12:25  
Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
My problem isn't that people point at bad movies/tv shows/games and say they're bad. My problem is that people ONLY point at those things that they think are bad AND say they're bad because a minority was hired to do XYZ role; this comes, of course, with the presumption that the person who was hired was unqualified (because of course they were, they're just a quota hire because they're not a white guy).
This only happens because the requirement for diversity hires is all over the place. The pride of having such a diverse staff is front and center.
And if you criticize the product that so happens to be sub-par, they fail to accept the criticism and retort with "you're just a racist and/or sexist bigot".
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-05 21:46:05  
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
requirement for diversity hires is all over the place

Citation needed.

Big difference between being proud of having a diverse workforce and having a requirement to hire diversely. At my workplace we have DEI groups, you know what that means? People have meetings where they meet with people similar to them and do some networking. They have events once a month or so where they celebrate their culture, and they have a distribution list. They aren't changing hiring practices because our website has a DEI link on it...
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2024-06-05 21:58:26  
I shot my dominion invasion bullet doing sortie... I hate sortie even more...

Also -

This brings me pain
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-05 22:04:36  
https://research.ubc.ca/sites/research.ubc.ca/files/vpri/CRC-Tier1-Oral_Cancer_Research.pdf
Quote:
In accordance with UBC’s CRC Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Action Plan
[https://research.ubc.ca/federal-research-chair-programs/canada-research-chairs/ubcs-commitmentequity-diversity-and] and pursuant to Section 42 of the BC Human Rights Code, the selection will be
restricted to members of the following federally designated groups: people with disabilities, Indigenous
people, racialized people, women, and people from minoritized gender identity groups

https://resources.workable.com/stories-and-insights/no-white-men-policy-what-you-can-cant-do-in-diversity-hiring
Quote:
In short: one in five respondents say they have received explicit instruction for a ‘no white men’ policy. Another one in five say they’ve been implicitly instructed to follow this kind of a policy.

I dont exactly bookmark and save every thing I find, but here are two citations.

Heres one more from the University of Washington
https://www.nas.org/blogs/article/university-of-washington-violated-non-discrimination-policy-internal-report-finds

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/05/1180213128/firefighting-is-mostly-white-and-male-a-california-program-aims-to-change-that
Our firefighters arent diverse enough, unacceptable.

Slightly unrelated, but I've been dealing with checkbox hires before you even had your first job. I grew up in Quebec, the hockey team I'm a fan of is the Canadiens. The coach, the GM, the captain...they must all fill the checkbox of "speaks french". There was a *** protest in 2012 because the coach was fired mid-season and the english assistant coach was promoted to interim head coach to finish off the season. How dare nos glorieux have a coach who cant speak french! There was massive outrage when Saku Koivu, from Finland, the teams far and away best player of the late 90's, was named captain.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-05 22:05:02  
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
I shot my dominion invasion bullet doing sortie... I hate sortie even more...

Also -

This brings me pain
Shouldnt be doing Sortie.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-05 22:26:52  
So hey, how do people feel about that new Adobe change that dropped today?
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-06 00:15:05  
https://research.ubc.ca/sites/research.ubc.ca/files/vpri/CRC-Tier1-Oral_Cancer_Research.pdf
Quote:
In accordance with UBC’s CRC Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Action Plan
[https://research.ubc.ca/federal-research-chair-programs/canada-research-chairs/ubcs-commitmentequity-diversity-and] and pursuant to Section 42 of the BC Human Rights Code, the selection will be
restricted to members of the following federally designated groups: people with disabilities, Indigenous
people, racialized people, women, and people from minoritized gender identity groups

So...a single job at a single university...

https://resources.workable.com/stories-and-insights/no-white-men-policy-what-you-can-cant-do-in-diversity-hiring
Quote:
In short: one in five respondents say they have received explicit instruction for a ‘no white men’ policy. Another one in five say they’ve been implicitly instructed to follow this kind of a policy.

Not sure I personally put too much credence in the opinions of 1000 people on LinkedIn, but I guess it could be considered "research" by a loose definition.

A report about a single job posting, which was for a position teaching Diversity in Development, and which also says:

Quote:
First, with three above threshold candidates (Black, Asian, White), it just seemed optically-speaking to look bad that offer #1 goes to the White candidate whom is the most junior and whose research content is less directly and explicitly connected to matters of race/ethnicity, compared to [name redacted] and [name redacted].

I mean, the white person was, according to this person, also less qualified...I guess it's not a good look that they pointed out their race, but it's a hyper-specific situation, they're a diversity committee, giving a recommendation (which can be ignored) to hire for a diversity position...

This is a training program for minorities, nothing to do with hiring anyone.

IDK, not exactly what I would consider very solid proof of systemic racism against white men, but I guess good try.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-06 00:17:39  
Boeing in 2020:
"We need more diversity hires"

Boeing planes less than four years later:
https://apnews.com/article/aviation-safety-boeing-airlines-faa-068547c51c1b477a4d4972af95c7e8ff
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/12/investing/boeing-is-in-big-trouble/index.html

Correlation != causation
but it looks *** bad when the company that decided to prioritize checkbox hiring instead of merit hiring has their planes falling apart at unprecedented rates in the first world.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-06 00:30:41  
It mentioned in your article that it had just finished crashing 2 737s before that memo was written.

Is it OK for white people to cause planes to crash, but then once you write a memo about hiring more black people, suddenly it's their fault that you have quality issues on planes manufactured before they were hired? Not following the correlation here, help me out.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-06-06 02:15:05  
Good morning you who like classic movies. Also good morning you who like woke movies.

And also good morning you who dont like either but is here only for the blood

Because sometimes violence is the answer
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-06-06 03:02:11  
As a person who has the concept of home as the most important one, my home is my sanctuary, the concept of Airbnb is so disturbing to me.

I simply cant even begin imagine me allowing a complete strange in my house only for the sake of money.

I suppose this is a valid business. But for someone who evaluate home above everything else, Airbnb isnt any different than prostitution
By Pantafernando 2024-06-06 03:04:08  
I actually would prefer first selling my body than selling my home!

Here, take my body, I will lick your hand and give you my pawn if you ask for it
By Afania 2024-06-06 03:47:42  
This only happens because the requirement for diversity hires is all over the place. The pride of having such a diverse staff is front and center.

The thing is, in creative industry diversity does have positive effect on the final product. At least I believe so. I think the critism about diversity isn't fair to begin with.

For writers it is easy to have "blind spot" in their writing. Every writer has their own life experience and identity. And those are likely limit their view on how the story goes.

If you hire multiple writers with different background, they can provide pov from different angles because they have different life experience.

Case to the point, some time ago I was working on a story, I got another writer friend to edit it. He is male and I am female, he pinpointed many bad decisions that I made because I failed to see things from male perspective as female.

Overall I would say getting someone with a different background to work on a story together is good thing.

The reverse also applies. If your entire team is 5 middle class straight white man grow up from the same country, they'll have the exact same blind spot because they all have similar life experience. In this case it is better to add more diversity to the team for different perspectives.

As far as "diversity makes story suck" argument, no one has give me a concrete example on exactly how do they suck. So I don't find such argument convincing. Keep in mind that if you've consumed lots of entertainment products in life as a 40 yr old, you are far more likely to get bored at a story than a 13 yr old boy. Because you've seen the same thing multiple times in life.

This is not writer's problem, this is viewer's problem lol.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-06-06 03:57:38  
Afania said: »
life as a 40 yr old, you are far more likely to get bored at a story than a 13 yr old boy
I noticed 40 yr old and read this part because I got bored.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-06-06 04:23:32  
So you are n your 40s
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-06-06 04:24:56  
Drayco said: »
14 is actually a really good game if you treat it like a single player game. Shadowbringers and Endwalker are incredible. I'm really looking forward to Dawntrail and all the FFXI content in it. I do love me some Memberberries.

I've tried to play it 3 times, I find it aggressively mediocre in every way. I know a lot of people like it, this is just how I see it.

I would go play some other mmorpgs or some proper single player game over ff14, I would play WoW classic any day over ff14 honestly cause I think it's so bad.

It just does not gel with me at all, on any level. Having said that of course, I really love ff11 and many people hate 11, and them hating it has no impact on me. So me not liking 14 should not matter to someone who really loves it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-06-06 04:30:28  
Pantafernando said: »
So you are n your 40s
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-06-06 04:37:07  
The thing is, in creative industry diversity does have positive effect on the final product.

Nobody sensible cares about the group identity of the person who made a thing, it's not positive or negative and is irrelevant to the consumer. All that matters is if the people are good at whatever it is they were hired to do, the problem a lot of people fail to understand is this diversity fetish does not just apply to the actors but behind the scenes at every level too and they are not hiring because the people are good but purely to tick a box.

Lucasfilm is super progressive and it's saturated in this ideology from head to toe, at every level and everything they make is trash and you know it. Not only do they hire actors based on group identity and show off about it like they saved the universe, but all the creative jobs behind the camera too (that people admit are terrible). This is why these shows are all garbage, because they are not hiring people who are good but instead people who tick a box to show off to their peers and pander to rich coastal white progressives.

This stuff really does not impact me anymore and I don't really care, it's impacting some of you guys cause you watch this crap and keep wondering why it's crap. Well I'm telling you, have fun and go watch Acolyte and Star Trek Discovery. Please do.

Japan is dominating the video game industry, these games are 99% Japanese people working on them. Stellar Blade is 99% korean made. They hire based on skill, and nothing else. This is why the all western entertainment media is death spiraling.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-06-06 04:37:49  
We grinding for lev 99 irl.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-06-06 05:50:40  
Bahamut.Negan said: »
So you are n your 40s

Im nearing 40, and despite my body recovering slower to injuries/exercises, i feel exagerated people who think 40 as being old.

I only would call old someone past 60s.

And ive seen some really good bodies at that age
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-06-06 05:59:58  
Ah, yes.

Im also getting fatter way easier.

Nowadays, to keep my weight, i can only do one moderate meal and 2 light ones per day.

And thats with a moderate/high load of physical exercises
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-06-06 06:10:58  
Ah, yes.

Nowadays, to keep my weight, i can only do one moderate meal and 2 light ones per day.

Getting um.. "flabbier" happens too, staying on top of it takes more and more :( The ONE thing thats bothered me about aging is eyesight. Like, I literally went to bed one night looking at my phone just fine, woke up and gd it I had to hold it arms length to see it xD
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-06-06 07:04:56  
Well, thats what you get for reading every Radialarcana&Afania's posts.
[+]
By Afania 2024-06-06 07:26:55  
RadialArcana said: »
Nobody sensible cares about the group identity of the person who made a thing, it's not positive or negative and is irrelevant to the consumer.

Did you not read any of what I wrote? You need people with diverse background in a creative team for different perspectives. Which leads to better writing from more interesting ideas.

Japan is dominating the video game industry, these games are 99% Japanese people working on them. Stellar Blade is 99% korean made. They hire based on skill, and nothing else. This is why the all western entertainment media is death spiraling.

As someone who primarily consumes Japanese entertainment products (I watch at least 1-3 anime per season and 75% of games that I played are made by Japanese). I find most Japanese entertainment products extremely repetitive with same tropes over and over, after seeing them for 30 years.

At least I recognize I find Japanese entertainment products boring because I consumed too many of them, not because they suck.

Some of my favorite anime from past a few years are made by a more diversified team. Such as cyberpunk edge runner, which is made by Japanese and Polish, not just Japanese.

You keep saying diversity in creative teams will destroy a product. This just doesn't align with my personal experience. From my experience diversity in creativity often leads to more interesting ideas.

Japan is dominating the video game industry

They didn't. Nintendo and FromSoftware are the only Japanese studio that is dominating the market atm.

Current mobile gacha game market is dominated by Chinese, younger generation market is dominated by Fortnite and Roblox. Japanese also did not dominate indie game market.

Japanese didn't "dominate" gaming industry, they just have a few successful companies like the rest of the competitors. Stop citing Japanese dev like that automatically leads to best games ever.

I played a lot of Japanese games, I dropped about 50%-60% of them before I can beat them. Japanese don't magically make good games, come on.

Not only do they hire actors based on group identity and show off about it

I explained why in the last post. Lee Jung Jae is an extremely good actor that won multiple award. Using him as an actor has a positive effect on breaking Star Wars IP into Korean market.

It is not just using people with different identity for the sake of doing it. His acting skill doesn't suck. He is not a random nobody. You just can't see different perspectives from different people.

Your whole opinion on this matter is very very biased.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-06 07:27:14  
Ah, yes.

Getting um.. "flabbier" happens too, staying on top of it takes more and more :( The ONE thing thats bothered me about aging is eyesight. Like, I literally went to bed one night looking at my phone just fine, woke up and gd it I had to hold it arms length to see it xD
Work twice as hard for half the results.

If I could go back in time, I would tell younger me to take better care of myself.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-06-06 07:42:38  
I find most Japanese entertainment products extremely repetitive with same tropes over and over
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS JRPG
 Asura.Iamaman
サーバ: Asura
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-06-06 07:45:44  
Ah, yes.

Yea it sucks. I can't eat what i want or drink what I want anymore. If I drink liquor, even one scotch, I'm hungover for a day at least. If I eat anything with a large amount of sugar, which I do try to avoid, I sleep like ***for at least one night and feel like crap after. Most vices, green leaf aside, are the same way.

I guess it's one way of forcing me into healthy habits but it's kinda frustrating at times especially how difficult exercise can be at times with neuropathy in various places. The one form of exercise I enjoy doing and moved to where I live for, is incredibly painful due to long running compression in both my arms, so there's not much hope of ever being competitive. It's gotten worse as I get older. At this point I still exercise and goto the gym regularly but it's more about avoiding a heart attack at 50 like the previous 3 generations of men in my family, not doing something I actually want to do.

Though the worst part of aging for me isn't me personally, it's everyone else. Watching your grandparents get old and die, then your parents and other members of your family, and knowing life will never be the way it was before again is really mentally straining. Until this past year, I told people I don't feel old until I look at everyone around me, this past year I've really felt it physically though on top of everything else.
[+]
By Afania 2024-06-06 07:48:45  
Stellar Blade is 99% korean made.

It sold about 1m copies afaik. MAYBE it's around 2-3m now.

Meanwhile Spider-Man 2 easily sold over 11m units.

You keep saying western games suck because of diversity but they objectively sold more. While games made by 99% Korean or Japanese are nothing to write home about in terms of sales.

Maybe your subjective gaming preference has nothing to do with other people's preference.
 Bahamut.Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-06-06 07:50:32  
Asura.Iamaman said: »
but it's more about avoiding a heart attack at 50 like the previous 3 generations of men in my family
Ouch man :(
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-06 07:52:56  
Another instance of things that arent happening, happening.

https://www.thefa.com/bootroom/about/ways-we-can-help/club-placement-programme

Quote:
APPLICATION CRITERIA
If you’d like to be considered for one of the placements, here are the criteria you’ll need to match as part of your application:

Personal Specification

FA Level 3 (UEFA B) in Coaching Football
FA Youth Modules 1-2-3 or equivalent Block 1 and 2 of the new Level 2
Current DBS clearance
FA Safeguarding and Emergency Aid/ BFAS Qualifications
Computer literate
FA licensed coach
Essential Requirements

A desire to pursue a career in the football industry and be committed, enthusiastic and highly motivated, showing a passion for developing players
Ability to work as part of a team and buy-in to the academy philosophy
A positive and professional attitude and the ability to work with a range of individuals
Enhanced DBS clearance prior to taking the job role
Have a flexible attitude to work and be able to work independently and proactively
Clubs would welcome applications from:

Male applicants of Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic origin who:
Aged 18 years or older
Hold the FA Level 3 (UEFA B) in Coaching Football qualification
Female applicants (of any ethnic origin) who are:
Aged 18 years or older
Hold the FA Level 3 (UEFA B) in Coaching Football qualification
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 22612 22613 22614 ... 22705 22706 22707