users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Taipan Fangs question
Taipan Fangs question
First Page 2
 Shiva.Cybermario
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Cybermario 2011-05-31 07:28:00  
Well im working my trial for Taipan Fangs +2 STR +9 Attack +20. But been wondering if i should work another pair of Taipan Fangs with AGI +9 Eva + 20, this last one for tanking, worth?
 Sylph.Krsone
サーバ: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-05-31 07:32:03  
No, get woe rev fists+2 or vereth if youre done with attk/str trial path h2h and want to make another pair. In katana form the agi/eva path is much more useful to nin imo than it is for mnk.
 Shiva.Cybermario
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Cybermario 2011-05-31 09:53:09  
Sylph.Krsone said:
No, get woe rev fists+2 or vereth if youre done with attk/str trial path h2h and want to make another pair. In katana form the agi/eva path is much more useful to nin imo than it is for mnk.
Thanks for the input, yeah i wasnt really sure to go for that trial, already working trials for rev fists+2
 Fenrir.Terminus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-05-31 14:17:48  
Like a lot of things, I'd say it all depends. It depends on how you like to play, the people you play with, and the things you do. You're already working on a higher tier weapon, and that is of course great, but it also depends on when you will complete that.

Back before everyone figured out how attainable Empyreans were, I finished 3 sets of H2H. I like and use them all. (STR/Attack, AGI/Evasion and VIT/-pdt.) Then again, you might not have the time to put into another weapon - so again, it depends.

In other words, do what you like. And good luck!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [30 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-30 08:08:24  
You guys weren't using this anymore so I'm going to take it.

Are the double attack katars any good or is the best bet to do taipan str?
By AsuraVanzan 2011-06-30 08:33:28  
The OA2-4 were mainly for footwork builds and STR path pulled ahead when the 80 cap came out I think. Then people went for Vere @ 85 and the rest is history. I'm still using STR <Tapians edit for clarification> until I can finish Vere. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is solid.
 Bismarck.Arcos
サーバ: Bismarck
user: afranko22
By Bismarck.Arcos 2011-06-30 08:36:02  
These are easy if you need STR.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-30 08:46:22  
AsuraVanzan said:
The OA2-4 were mainly for footwork builds and STR path pulled ahead when the 80 cap came out I think. Then people went for Vere @ 85 and the rest is history. I'm still using STR <Tapians edit for clarification> until I can finish Vere. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is solid.

I meant the "double attack" path not the OA2-4.

I planned to get some taurine cesti, but I'm worried that I'll just have to make a trial one later anyhow.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-06-30 09:04:00  
STR path is best choice, Taurine edge slightly out I think, but after next trial updates the STR path should be ahead considerably. Basically STR path unless you own relic/emp/WoE.
 Siren.Inuyushi
サーバ: Siren
user: Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-30 09:13:00  
I know these wouldn't win but I want to play with a pair of Metasoma Katars one day. They just look interesting. Could be awesome solo since one guy reports the prob to be 1/3. If only the delay was in the 60's instead of +84. Personally I got the Taurine Cesti and just havn't looked back. They may be a little behind STR Trial Claws but I enjoy the Subtle Blow and Boost add. I'm curious to see what the next update will add in terms off Rare/Ex non-trial weapons.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-30 09:17:03  
Thanks! I had figured that would probably be the case.

That being said, is there really a use for the PDT claws or is it a waste of time to make those. I mean obviously they have a place, but would I use them once a blue moon, or everytime I solo, etc.
By AsuraVanzan 2011-06-30 09:18:23  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
AsuraVanzan said:

I meant the "double attack" path not the OA2-4.

I planned to get some taurine cesti, but I'm worried that I'll just have to make a trial one later anyhow.

Oh ok. Sorry I misunderstood. Me personally, I would still go with STR path tapians. Yeah they are 1 less damage and no double attack but I would believe that a constant +9 STR +20 attack would beat out +10 double attack. Considering the deminishing benefits of stacking double attack. A math person could map it out for ya but that ain't me lol.
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-30 09:26:08  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Thanks! I had figured that would probably be the case.

That being said, is there really a use for the PDT claws or is it a waste of time to make those. I mean obviously they have a place, but would I use them once a blue moon, or everytime I solo, etc.

Gonna go with no use for those. With proper gear you can get close enough to the -PDT Cap. Twilight Torque/Dark Ringx2 = ~15%, If you care to Augment Genbu's Helm that is more, the Arhat's Gi is 9% iirc, etc etc. But if you ask me you'll have Counterstance up anyway so you're taking alot of DMG anyway. It'd be more useful to stack Counter+ until you hit the +20 Cap on counter (+60 from Counterstance, +20 from gear = 80%, after a 95% Accuracy calculation the true cap is 76%). What you truly want to have is a -PDT Build for w/& w/o Shell. Only need 25% -MDT with shell and 50% w/o (once again iirc).

Most Monks will tell you bring a whm, sub war, use zerk with counterstand and stack on as much DD gear as you can and you'll kill it faster than it can kill you.
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-30 09:28:29  
AsuraVanzan said:
Oh ok. Sorry I misunderstood. Me personally, I would still go with STR path tapians. Yeah they are 1 less damage and no double attack but I would believe that a constant +9 STR +20 attack would beat out +10 double attack. Considering the deminishing benefits of stacking double attack. A math person could map it out for ya but that ain't me lol.

The effect aren't diminishing, they're just linear. You see an increase of X with +Y Double Attack. Haste on the other hand is non-linear returns (think Quadratic or Exponential curves - The more you have until the cap the greater the return). I would say that is why people say "Taipan fangs pull ahead." Beacause they simply just win by an amount over the Dbl Atk.

Best of luck with your MNK
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-06-30 09:31:20  
By "diminishing" people are pretty much referring tot he % dmg increase, rather than the number of attacks. The number of attacks itself really means nothing it's all about what it does to your damage.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-30 09:37:31  
We already have a couple well-geared mnks for our empy set. Me leveling mnk will be solely for my soloing or low manning IF i can't find someone else to be on mnk (but mostly just to get another job 90 so i stop wasting merits). If that factors into anything I will be solo more often than not or just myself and a whm (with maybe thf).
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-30 11:04:23  
Hmmm, well then if you really have the time and want to build an evasion set I would go for that over -PDT. MNK has a decent evasion skill (compared to rdm!). When I take MNK out solo it's on things that are Easy Prey or maybe Decent Challenge. If it's Even Match to Very Tough I go on DRG/BLU. If it's above that and I wanna go solo I kite it RDM/NIN if possible. So that's just my suggestion to you from someone who plays this way.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-30 11:08:35  
Siren.Inuyushi said:
Hmmm, well then if you really have the time and want to build an evasion set I would go for that over -PDT. MNK has a decent evasion skill (compared to rdm!). When I take MNK out solo it's on things that are Easy Prey or maybe Decent Challenge. If it's Even Match to Very Tough I go on DRG/BLU. If it's above that and I wanna go solo I kite it RDM/NIN if possible. So that's just my suggestion to you from someone who plays this way.

If that's the case i'll just go thf :|

I was thinking of using this if i made the PDT claws:

y/n?

By AsuraVanzan 2011-06-30 11:17:37  
There's augmented earrings with -PDT for those "oh ***lol" moments. I don't have Usakane but I got a nice pair of Gules boots from a chest that have +2 counter on them. There's probably better but that's what I have for now.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-30 11:21:10  
AsuraVanzan said:
There's augmented earrings with -PDT for those "oh ***lol" moments. I don't have Usakane but I got a nice pair of Gules boots from a chest that have +2 counter on them. There's probably better but that's what I have for now.

This is news to me. Someone drop me a link or a name of those?
By AsuraVanzan 2011-06-30 12:03:30  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
AsuraVanzan said:

Looking. Gimme a min.
 Fenrir.Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-06-30 12:14:21  
Are you thinking about the VIT claws and that -pdt set as a full time kind of thing? If so, I don't think it's necessary. I mean, totally awesome for an as needed type thing, but, as far as physical damage goes, you can counter so much, and, in my experience, the rest is pretty easily handled by a whm. Of course, outside it's a little different, too.

Of my three sets of claws, I think my VIT ones are used the least.

But... it is fun to bust out those extra high chakra numbers from time to time! :D
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-30 12:29:21  
Fenrir.Terminus said:
Are you thinking about the VIT claws and that -pdt set as a full time kind of thing? If so, I don't think it's necessary. I mean, totally awesome for an as needed type thing, but, as far as physical damage goes, you can counter so much, and, in my experience, the rest is pretty easily handled by a whm. Of course, outside it's a little different, too.

Of my three sets of claws, I think my VIT ones are used the least.

But... it is fun to bust out those extra high chakra numbers from time to time! :D

I believe he wants situations where there is no WHM and playing solo. Im leaning more towards stacking counter than -PDT, but hey....FFXI is situational.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-30 12:34:08  
Fenrir.Terminus said:
Are you thinking about the VIT claws and that -pdt set as a full time kind of thing? If so, I don't think it's necessary. I mean, totally awesome for an as needed type thing, but, as far as physical damage goes, you can counter so much, and, in my experience, the rest is pretty easily handled by a whm. Of course, outside it's a little different, too. Of my three sets of claws, I think my VIT ones are used the least. But... it is fun to bust out those extra high chakra numbers from time to time! :D

Nah this would be as a "im mnk/dnc and soloing something i probably should have a healer for" build.

Siren.Inuyushi said:
I believe he wants situations where there is no WHM and playing solo. Im leaning more towards stacking counter than -PDT, but hey....FFXI is situational.

Yeah pretty much, this is the kind of feetback i need though.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2011-06-30 12:35:31  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
AsuraVanzan said:

If you are serious its the earrings from this quest. Link. If not lol. I cant tell ><
 Ifrit.Eikechi
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-30 12:37:50  
what about the WS dmg + 10% barracuda+1 or the +3 dmg + 10WS dmg barracuda+2? Are they worth a damn anymore? I use um on pup and my pummels are still pretty good
 Fenrir.Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-06-30 12:39:37  

Oh, solo! I was thinking just small group kind of thing... then I learned to read.
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-30 12:44:22  
Fenrir.Terminus said:

Oh, solo! I was thinking just small group kind of thing... then I learned to read.

Reading ftw. I lol'd. Glad I could provide some feedback. My MNK is still fresh off the press in terms of other MNKs like Tiger. Im really an old school RDM but the less I play that job the worse I get at it ><
By AsuraVanzan 2011-06-30 12:44:22  
Quetzalcoatl.Dova said:
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
AsuraVanzan said:

If you are serious its the earrings from this quest. Link. If not lol. I cant tell ><

Ty Dova. I was beginning to think I was losing my mind when I couldn't find them lol. Yes, those are the ones I was referring to.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-30 12:51:06  
Siren.Inuyushi said:
Fenrir.Terminus said:
Reading ftw. I lol'd. Glad I could provide some feedback. My MNK is still fresh off the press in terms of other MNKs like Tiger. Im really an old school RDM but the less I play that job the worse I get at it ><

The hardest thing about counter is that I will want to get a pair of melee feet and that means dynamis :<

Anyone know if the counterstance buff stays on after the armor comes off?
First Page 2