フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Borealis on DRK
Borealis on DRK
 Quetzalcoatl.Generic
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Generic 2012-01-25 15:35:42  
Cerberus.Taint said: »
Phoenix.Deboro said: »
its best weapon for drk for pure damage bar Ragnarok / OAT Gsword. beats apoc sounds in pure damage

Thats a joke right?

Its a excellent GS, but its not touching either Relic. Apoc is DRKs most damaging weapon if you know what your doing. Rag is a close second.
 Cerberus.Taint
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-01-25 19:09:28  
Quetzalcoatl.Generic said: »
its best weapon for drk for pure damage bar Ragnarok / OAT Gsword. beats apoc sounds in pure damage
Thats a joke right? Its a excellent GS, but its not touching either Relic. Apoc is DRKs most damaging weapon if you know what your doing. Rag is a close second.

Actually I mathed it out, Rag is a slight winner, but its not ROFL. Esp on harder fights like Ig Apoc has huge advantages when it comes to hit rate and only needing 6% in gear haste to cap.
 Quetzalcoatl.Generic
By Quetzalcoatl.Generic 2012-01-25 19:30:45  
Thats a joke right? Its a excellent GS, but its not touching either Relic. Apoc is DRKs most damaging weapon if you know what your doing. Rag is a close second.

Actually I mathed it out, Rag is a slight winner, but its not ROFL. Esp on harder fights like Ig Apoc has huge advantages when it comes to hit rate and only needing 6% in gear haste to cap.
How . . What . . Where are you getting 6% in gear haste from ?
With what buffs ? because like uh. I usually have double march from Gjall and a haste which with LR and that caps delay with 13% gear haste. If you were to have Apoc and Cata's AM up that would allow you to only need 3% from gear. Idk where you got 6%. maybe you forgot a 1 >.>;
But yea, Rag is a bit more than a slight winner when it comes to DDing. A difference of Apoc: 102.6 capped delay and Rag: 86.2 capped delay, 20% crit rate from Rag alone w/ AM up and Resolution make it a bit over the top when it comes to DDing. Apoc is great for it's utility but I believe we've been over this
 Odin.Eikechi
サーバ: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-01-25 20:26:29  
Since y'all are talkin about Apoc, isn't the Liberator still the hands down best weapon for drk?
 Phoenix.Fredjan
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2012-01-25 20:40:29  
volkom said: »
whats the difference in dex between mithra and everyone else at 99?
Somehow people missed this, but, regardless of the difference, extra stats from races shouldn't do much.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-01-25 20:43:59  
Phoenix.Fredjan said: »
Somehow people missed this, but, regardless of the difference, extra stats from races shouldn't do much.

Not true at all. if 10 dex can be a 3-4% dmg increase for that sword than my 15+ more dex on my mithra over an elvaan should do a bit. (idk how much my 99drks base dex is)
[+]
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-01-25 20:56:07  
Odin.Eikechi said: »
Since y'all are talkin about Apoc, isn't the Liberator still the hands down best weapon for drk?

Yes.
 Ragnarok.Returner
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2012-01-26 08:15:28  
Leviathan.Phenomena said: »
Not true at all. if 10 dex can be a 3-4% dmg increase for that sword than my 15+ more dex on my mithra over an elvaan should do a bit. (idk how much my 99drks base dex is)

Then your elvaan should WS harder with the extra STR no?
[+]
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-01-26 13:06:08  
How . . What . . Where are you getting 6% in gear haste from ? With what buffs ? because like uh. I usually have double march from Gjall and a haste which with LR and that caps delay with 13% gear haste. If you were to have Apoc and Cata's AM up that would allow you to only need 3% from gear. Idk where you got 6%. maybe you forgot a 1 >.>; But yea, Rag is a bit more than a slight winner when it comes to DDing. A difference of Apoc: 102.6 capped delay and Rag: 86.2 capped delay, 20% crit rate from Rag alone w/ AM up and Resolution make it a bit over the top when it comes to DDing. Apoc is great for it's utility but I believe we've been over this

Its slight, very slight and sometimes behind esp when Rag DRKs use stupid gear sets on T6 VW. (AF3+2 x5 for example)
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-01-26 13:09:10  
Ragnarok.Returner said: »

yes. but he would miss hits with his lower dex on resolution because its a multihit :P might even out. lol
 Ragnarok.Returner
By Ragnarok.Returner 2012-01-26 13:12:21  
true xD
By volkom 2012-01-26 13:37:02  

just don't miss.

btw
How good is the OAT greatsword? I'm making one right now and i want to make sure i'm not wasting my time
 Phoenix.Twiste
By Phoenix.Twiste 2012-01-26 13:38:55  
Quote:
btw
How good is the OAT greatsword? I'm making one right now and i want to make sure i'm not wasting my time

And how good is the OA2-4 GS comparatively?
 Quetzalcoatl.Generic
By Quetzalcoatl.Generic 2012-01-26 14:21:18  
How . . What . . Where are you getting 6% in gear haste from ? With what buffs ? because like uh. I usually have double march from Gjall and a haste which with LR and that caps delay with 13% gear haste. If you were to have Apoc and Cata's AM up that would allow you to only need 3% from gear. Idk where you got 6%. maybe you forgot a 1 >.>; But yea, Rag is a bit more than a slight winner when it comes to DDing. A difference of Apoc: 102.6 capped delay and Rag: 86.2 capped delay, 20% crit rate from Rag alone w/ AM up and Resolution make it a bit over the top when it comes to DDing. Apoc is great for it's utility but I believe we've been over this

Its slight, very slight and sometimes behind esp when Rag DRKs use stupid gear sets on T6 VW. (AF3+2 x5 for example)
So I'm confused on how you think the AF3+2 set is bad when you have capped delay reduction from x2 march/haste/LR with the 14% gear haste that you would have on the set. Rag makes up for any accuracy issues along with Aggressor and Diabolic Eye. Give me a reason why I shouldn't use the AF3+2 set in capped delay reduction situations
 Ragnarok.Returner
By Ragnarok.Returner 2012-01-26 14:44:03  
cuz under that situation you should really gear for STP for hit build and DA/TA/QA.

I understand your point that since you are swinging so fast, you WS non-stop, but you will WS that much faster with more tp per swing and DA/TA/QA. If you are unable to press WS key fast enough whenever you hit 100%, you can set your spellcast up to do that for you. In the end, if you can WS 0.5 sec faster, you are still going to end up WSing more.

And if you are experiencing TP overflow from STP and DA/TA/QA cuz you can't press the key fast enough, you are still WSing harder cuz you have extra TP, and thankfully TP is a modifier.

So in the end, yes, you should never use AF3+2 set even in capped haste situation.
[+]
By volkom 2012-01-26 14:47:37  
Wat. Gimme gearset plz? I wanna see a build with no af3+2
By GraddHelian 2012-01-26 14:47:44  
For the same reason Apoc DRK's don't use it. 5/5 is a waste of time and shitty overall.

jingang greaves for example are MUCH better than Af3 feet if you are capping delay reduction.

I'm not up to date with all the newer gear, but I can still say 5/5 has never been a good option.
 Quetzalcoatl.Generic
By Quetzalcoatl.Generic 2012-01-26 14:49:25  
cuz under that situation you should really gear for STP for hit build and DA/TA/QA.

I understand your point that since you are swinging so fast, you WS non-stop, but you will WS that much faster with more tp per swing and DA/TA/QA. If you are unable to press WS key fast enough whenever you hit 100%, you can set your spellcast up to do that for you. In the end, if you can WS 0.5 sec faster, you are still going to end up WSing more.

And if you are experiencing TP overflow from STP and DA/TA/QA cuz you can't press the key fast enough, you are still WSing harder cuz you have extra TP, and thankfully TP is a modifier.

So in the end, yes, you should never use AF3+2 set even in capped haste situation.
My set has DA/TA/QA

May not be as much but AF3 proc also helps a bit for dmg D:
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-01-26 14:50:03  

They mean 5/5 af3+2
[+]
By GraddHelian 2012-01-26 14:50:29  
That Claymore Grip makes my eyes bleed.
[+]
By volkom 2012-01-26 14:50:55  
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »

They mean 5/5 af3+2
gotcha
 Ragnarok.Jajabiondina
By Ragnarok.Jajabiondina 2012-01-27 22:17:00  
Speaking of which, i got scythe from ig the other day, any use for it?
 Ragnarok.Matriarch
user: Taisaijin
By Ragnarok.Matriarch 2012-01-27 23:43:51  
This has probably been addressed in the past, but I've been wondering...

The icon for Borealis has an aura. Does this mean that it glows while drawn?
 Pandemonium.Anookulchandra
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2012-01-28 00:34:10  

Apoc was about dmg? WTF? Since when? Do you mean before they nerfed the 100 scythe haste cap?
 Lakshmi.Galith
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2012-01-28 00:36:50  
Ragnarok.Jajabiondina said: »
Speaking of which, i got scythe from ig the other day, any use for it?

You can use it to kill things or harvest crops.
 Phoenix.Bomber
user: Bomber
By Phoenix.Bomber 2012-01-28 00:55:14  

My set has DA/TA/QA

May not be as much but AF3 proc also helps a bit for dmg D:
How do you put gear in the "item set" squares to show on your char?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-01-28 00:58:51  
Ragnarok.Matriarch said: »
This has probably been addressed in the past, but I've been wondering...

The icon for Borealis has an aura. Does this mean that it glows while drawn?

Yes.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-01-28 09:05:53  
Does anybody really know exactly what the add effect on Borealis does anyways?
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-01-28 09:28:56  
cuz under that situation you should really gear for STP for hit build and DA/TA/QA. I understand your point that since you are swinging so fast, you WS non-stop, but you will WS that much faster with more tp per swing and DA/TA/QA. If you are unable to press WS key fast enough whenever you hit 100%, you can set your spellcast up to do that for you. In the end, if you can WS 0.5 sec faster, you are still going to end up WSing more. And if you are experiencing TP overflow from STP and DA/TA/QA cuz you can't press the key fast enough, you are still WSing harder cuz you have extra TP, and thankfully TP is a modifier. So in the end, yes, you should never use AF3+2 set even in capped haste situation.
My set has DA/TA/QA May not be as much but AF3 proc also helps a bit for dmg D:

Using your set:

Capped Delay, t6 VW mob 40 savetp 8 regain

Great Sword
Resolution
20%

Set 2

Add souleater

Great Sword
Resolution
20%

Set 2

You are leaving over 100 DPS on the table with that gear set up. *** noobs and their shiney boxes.
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
サーバ: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2012-01-28 10:03:10  
Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Does anybody really know exactly what the add effect on Borealis does anyways?

Last I checked from DRKs who got it, it enhances the "Feels good man!" effect.
[+]