Will We Regret Video Games On Our Death Bed?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Arcade » Will We Regret Video Games on our Death Bed?
Will We Regret Video Games on our Death Bed?
First Page 2 3 4 5
By daemun 2012-06-21 07:51:18  
Jane McGonigal Presentation

Interesting short video from a VG figurehead. I certainly won't regret the time I've immersed myself into gaming. MMOs and FPS online has brought me great joy with wonderful friends and family. With people who live 2+ hrs away, this is the best way to spend time together.

After seeing the five things people most regret on their death beds, I think VGs have a strong case for not being an area of regret because of the meaningful positives they instil in our lives.

Thoughts?
 Bahamut.Savannahlynn
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Savannah
By Bahamut.Savannahlynn 2012-06-21 07:58:40  
I won't regret it....I don't ignore my kid....we actually play games together when we've grown bored of our board games or can't go out, and I met a lot of awesome people....people who will forever be in my life and I'm grateful for them...well, grateful for the few of them that matter anyway <3
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-21 08:03:32  
Is this kind of hobby a huge waste of time? Certainly, cause it entraps you a lot more than most different ones. But the things I'll regret are others, not this.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kalyna
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2012-06-21 08:07:11  
I'll probably regret certain games.

like FFXI
[+]
 Bahamut.Josseppi
user: Josseppi
By Bahamut.Josseppi 2012-06-21 08:08:10  
I don't plan on dying in a bed, so no death-bed regrets. If anything I'll regret that I let my fear of having regrets keep me from enjoying it more. Party on, Wayne!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ecaroh
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ecaroh
By Ragnarok.Ecaroh 2012-06-21 08:08:46  
VGs are better then drinking and drugs and gambling and lots of other bad habbits. Heck of a lot cheaper then golf too. :P

And I agree. I play VGs with both my sons. Its a point of coversation. AND I have meet and appreciate several game friends in real life from Canada, NH, CA and local in NC.

BUT my wife would like me to do some RL Woodworking rather then VR. :P

Eca
[+]
 Cerberus.Valmur
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Valmur
By Cerberus.Valmur 2012-06-21 08:15:48  
Regret meeting some people and drama but other than that been a pleasant experience.
[+]
 Bahamut.Enkidou
user: jamisont
By Bahamut.Enkidou 2012-06-21 08:20:30  
Ragnarok.Ecaroh said: »
VGs are better then drinking

Lets not get crazy here.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
サーバ: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2012-06-21 08:24:36  
I regret nothing.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2012-06-21 08:25:12  
Not as long as they don't interfere with opportunnities to experience some of the other great things life has to offer.
[+]
By OrowinAsura 2012-06-21 08:25:32  
Videogames or MMOs?

Generally, I don't think so. Games are great.

However, what you will regret is if you've ever taken advantage of other players kindness or whatever lies or cheats you've taken part in (i.e. stealing or putting digital items ahead of real people).
 Bahamut.Seiunhiro
user: superhiro
By Bahamut.Seiunhiro 2012-06-21 08:30:25  
Time You Enjoy Wasting is Not Wasted Time
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-06-21 08:30:53  
Nobody is holding a gun to our heads forcing us to play video games, it's a conscious decision we make every day or however often you play video games so it should not be a regret. No doubt this was influenced by the older generation that are still stuck under this illusion that video games are the source of all evil.

Personally, I feel that as long as there is not an addiction where you keep on playing without any enjoyment there is no reason to regret time spent gaming. I have learned alot from video games, particularly deep story driven content that indirectly questions the world we live in through philosophical themes and symbolisms. Also, I am going to enjoy music from past video games for the rest of my life.
[+]
By Drjones 2012-06-21 08:51:47  
When I'm on my deathbed I'll be regretting not getting around to finishing more games.
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-06-21 08:55:02  
Or, how many of us will be playing video games on our death bed?

Edit: Actually kind of makes some sense. I wouldn't ignore my friends and family, but, if I was in a hospital dying, I think I'd appreciate playing a video game a lot more than watching "As the World Turns" at 11 AM. Games, to me, are a lot more engaging and distracting than TV. I wonder if, as people who have spent their lives more with video games age, will they be a part of hospice care?
 Odin.Liela
サーバ: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2012-06-21 08:56:22  
Most likely when I am near death, I will regret not being closer with certain people. That is not the fault of gaming, it's the fault of me being shy and unwilling to meet new people as well as holding grudges for far too long against people I do know who have hurt me.

Gaming is a hobby just like any other hobby. I don't think people who spend years collecting rare coins, stamps, or bottle caps are going to regret it-- it was just a hobby that they enjoyed, much like gaming is a hobby I enjoy.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-06-21 09:13:16  
When you begin to put RL b4 video games then sure. I still go out, go to the gym, work and have a normal daily routine. Video games are a hobby when I have nothing to do. So absolutely not. I've met some great friends on Xbox Live and FFXI.

However, I have met gamers who just sit on the couch all day and play video games all day and they actually put serious risks to their health (e.g. weight gain, eatting a lot, low physical activity etc).
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-21 09:16:52  
Bahamut.Seiunhiro said: »
Time You Enjoy Wasting is Not Wasted Time
Oh I liked this one! *saves*
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 09:17:32  
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
When you begin to put RL b4 video games then sure. I still go out, go to the gym, work and have a normal daily routine. Video games are a hobby when I have nothing to do. So absolutely not. I've met some great friends on Xbox Live and FFXI. However, I have met gamers who just sit on the couch all day and play video games all day and they actually put serious risks to their health (e.g. weight gain, eatting a lot, low physical activity etc).
Who's to say they'd go to the gym if they didn't have VGs? People spend too much time worying about what other people do lol... there's more than one way to live your life and if that's what they want to do I say go for it...
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-06-21 09:20:25  
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Who's to say they'd go to the gym if they didn't have VGs? People spend too much time worying about what other people do lol... there's more than one way to live your life and if that's what they want to do I say go for it...

There's a difference between vanity and health risks. Also I said I have met gamers, as in a few, I didn't say "ALL GAMERS" now did I? Regardless how you live your life. You should take into consideration your overall health. That includes a semi-proper diet and/or some degree of physical activity.

EDIT: I'll give an example. A best-friend of mine in RL. Had gained quite a few pounds over the years and had high cholesterol. His own physician told him he needed to watch what he ate and increase physical activity. He started to put SSF4/MvC3/FFXI before everything else. He's better now but a few years back was hard as a best friend.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 09:33:36  
If I want to eat a whole pizza everyday and sit on my couch and play video games... Then that's what I'm going to do... I guess I give people too much credit for knowing what their options are and choosing to do so anyways... If people want help sure... But if someone makes a conscious choice to do so who cares...

Besides all that VG's aren't the cause of any of it... my point is that even without gaming the people who are in those positions are just as likely to find something else to occupy all that time... Hell there are many people who face the same issues that think gaming is stupid lol...
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-06-21 09:33:39  
Fenrir.Terminus said: »
Or, how many of us will be playing video games on our death bed?

This.

Conversely if they're trying to shuffle me off this mortal coil they can simply show me the Mass Effect 3 ending.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-06-21 09:36:11  
If I want to eat a whole pizza everyday and sit on my couch and play video games...

That's your choice. And by all means it's not a healthy choice, and it has ramifications on your friends and loved ones.

You shouldn't care what other people think. You should give a damn what those close to you think.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 09:38:20  
If I want to eat a whole pizza everyday and sit on my couch and play video games...
That's your choice. And by all means it's not a healthy choice, and it has ramifications on your friends and loved ones. You shouldn't care what other people think. You should give a damn what those close to you think.
So what then... seeing that your friend is now fat and has high cholesterol is a burden for you?
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2012-06-21 09:54:43  
It always makes me think when people say life is short, really,
it's the longest *** thing you can ever do. idk.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Syagin
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2012-06-21 10:15:07  
I won't regret a damn thing! I will die doing what I love!! That's the way I think everyone should live life no matter what you what it is.
[+]
 Siren.Piccollo
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Piccollo 2012-06-21 10:29:55  
Oh you mean the 8 years so far i spent playing a game online with people who would rob all my hard work if they could just to laugh about it, provided by a company whos customer service is the only one ive ever experienced that id literally rate 1/10 (if i could score it somewhere) and a development team so racist and confused they have no idea what people want let alone what will get people to play the game or enjoy playing the game.

i started regretting it about 2 years ago, it slowly dawns on me that i was 22 when i started my ffxi life and between then and now ive wasted lots of time playing with people that either didnt understand me, were trying to take advantage of me, hated me (for just playing the game it seems), or were so .... how do i put this nicely .... so slow at picking up the game mechanics they made everything a long long chore instead of a 20 min tele kill something leave scenario its a wonder im not insane at this point.

but seriously when i ask myself why did you just add more crysta carl! i seriously sometimes dont know, stand around in port jeuno waiting for someone to convince me to do something for nothing ? chat to some people about the game ? in reality its the hope ill win a relic from the new mogNOTbonanza they are doing soon and honestly i still hope i do^^ but aswell a part of me wishes they would just stop ffxi soon so i can get over my addiction to it and get on with my life, sadly ill likely be here in a year having played for about 100 hours and having paid for 12 months worth of mediocre updates and gameplay with the people mentioned above and still be hoping i can somehow get that shiny thing i wanted waay back when it was usefull to me when i used to play ffxi more.

Lets be honest if everyone that played ffxi did something constructive with our time and money spent playing ffxi the world and our lives would be a better richer place!.

But

it

could

be

so

much

worse

we could have all gotten ourselves one of these.

i feel bad for the guy/girl who plays MMo's and has an ear like this :P
[+]
 Caitsith.Sai
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Saiii
By Caitsith.Sai 2012-06-21 10:36:01  
My wife is from Maine, Im from Texas.

Only way we ever meet is through video games (specifically ffxi)

Married going on four years & still happy.

Will not regret the time Ive spent gaming or anything else.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-06-21 10:38:31  
That's your choice. And by all means it's not a healthy choice, and it has ramifications on your friends and loved ones. You shouldn't care what other people think. You should give a damn what those close to you think.
So what then... seeing that your friend is now fat and has high cholesterol is a burden for you?

If you have to ask that question I suggest you speak with a licensed physician. High cholesterol and medical over-weight are not things to jest with or to be taken lightly. Numerous of individuals die from cardio-vascular related diseases annually. Heart Disease Facts - CDC
First Page 2 3 4 5