Will We Regret Video Games On Our Death Bed?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Arcade » Will We Regret Video Games on our Death Bed?
Will We Regret Video Games on our Death Bed?
 Siren.Piccollo
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Piccollo 2012-06-21 10:41:04  
Caitsith.Sai said: »
My wife is from Maine, Im from Texas.

Only way we ever meet is through video games (specifically ffxi)

Married going on four years & still happy.

Will not regret the time Ive spent gaming or anything else.

I love hearing about people who met through ffxi and are married/having kids ect, what i will say though is my fiancee is a bloody saint for staying with me while i played ffxi and for the people who do still play regularly and dont get something rewarding like a love or a relationship from ffxi or gaming its likely going to be a huge regret of time spent wasting away in thier prime instead of living their lives in a more conventional manner.
 Phoenix.Elspetta
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Elspetta
By Phoenix.Elspetta 2012-06-21 10:44:58  
I don't nor will I ever regret any of my gaming experience. I met my BF on EQOA almost 9 years ago, we have a beautiful 6 year old son, and now we play FFXI together. We still spend time doing other things (work, t-ball, swim, martial arts, swimming, etc) and spend most of our time with our son.
[+]
By Ultrarichard 2012-06-21 10:48:00  
Siren.Mosin said: »
It always makes me think when people say life is short, really,
it's the longest *** thing you can ever do. idk.

Unfortunately I think it's actually the third, first is actually being dead, which lasts longer than you're alive (zombie apocolypse depending) and apparently the second one is grow hair.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2012-06-21 10:51:39  
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 11:17:11  
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
If I want to eat a whole pizza everyday and sit on my couch and play video games...
That's your choice. And by all means it's not a healthy choice, and it has ramifications on your friends and loved ones. You shouldn't care what other people think. You should give a damn what those close to you think.
So what then... seeing that your friend is now fat and has high cholesterol is a burden for you?
If you have to ask that question I suggest you speak with a licensed physician. High cholesterol and medical over-weight are not things to jest with or to be taken lightly. Numerous of individuals die from cardio-vascular related diseases annually. Heart Disease Facts - CDC
I still don't understand how that's a burden on you... maybe a burden on him but that depends how he looks at it... sounds like you're pretty self centered to take others problems and then make it about you...
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-06-21 11:25:10  
I still don't understand how that's a burden on you... maybe a burden on him but that depends how he looks at it... sounds like you're pretty self centered to take others problems and then make it about you...

lol ok. so i suppose physicians and rn's are all self-centered. last time i checked no medical practioner condones medical obesity/over-weight or high cholesterol.
 Cerberus.Saithorx
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Saithorx
By Cerberus.Saithorx 2012-06-21 11:28:19  
All I thought of...
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2012-06-21 11:34:02  
Might regret the sheer amount of time spent on them all... but then again, id regret not finishing them to so'
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2012-06-21 11:40:02  

You seem to be ignoring the huge amount of money (often taxpayers money), that is spent on making things accessible, and healthcare (less so in America) for the obese. By choosing that lifestyle, you are imposing a cost on almost all of those around you; at this point, it becomes a burden. Especially if family/loved ones end up footing your medical bills.

And to say that someone engaging in a destructive lifestyle, be it alcohol, drugs, or over-eating, doesn't affect those around him is pretty ignorant.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 11:44:28  
lol ok. so i suppose physicians and rn's are all self-centered. last time i checked no medical practioner condones medical obesity/over-weight or high cholesterol.
I'm not arguing that it's a health concern... I'm saying you're selfish because you're making his issues (if they even are issues to him) about you... Pretty much telling him that he should live his life a certain way or it puts a burden on you because you claim to care about him...

Whether its a health concern or not... it's not your burden and to make it yours or ask someone to change because it makes you feel a certain way is self-centered...
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-06-21 11:45:43  
Quetzalcoatl.Natlow said: »

You seem to be ignoring the huge amount of money (often taxpayers money), that is spent on making things accessible, and healthcare (less so in America) for the obese. By choosing that lifestyle, you are imposing a cost on almost all of those around you; at this point, it becomes a burden. Especially if family/loved ones end up footing your medical bills.

And to say that someone engaging in a destructive lifestyle, be it alcohol, drugs, or over-eating, doesn't affect those around him is pretty ignorant.

Funny, I thought you'd want to devise a public healthcare system that meets the needs of people's lives, rather than forcing people to lead lives that meet the needs of the public healthcare system.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-06-21 11:47:53  
I'm not arguing that it's a health concern... I'm saying you're selfish because you're making his issues (if they even are issues to him) about you... Pretty much telling him that he should live his life a certain way or it puts a burden on you because you claim to care about him...

Whether its a health concern or not... it's not your burden and to make it yours or ask someone to change because it makes you feel a certain way is self-centered...

Question for you Flavin. Is a wife selfish/self-centered for asking her husband to adjust his diet/lifestyle when they have 3 kids? And their primary care physician has given warnings regarding weight and cholesterol?

Fenrir.Terminus said: »
Funny, I thought you'd want to devise a public healthcare system that meets the needs of people's lives, rather than forcing people to lead lives that meet the needs of the public healthcare system.
Healthcare meets the needs of people's lives and wellbeing. It doesn't condone activities that destroy it. Physicians don't condone, illicit narcotics or poor diet and exercise.
 Fenrir.Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-06-21 11:52:48  
Wife not the same as random guy on the internet, nor the same as my local government body.

inb4 I'm not Flavin
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-06-21 11:53:50  
Wife not the same as random guy on the internet, nor the same as my local government body.

inb4 I'm not Flavin

Never did we say random guy. Best friend for over 15 years. I hardly consider that a random guy on the internet.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 11:53:56  
You seem to be ignoring the huge amount of money (often taxpayers money), that is spent on making things accessible, and healthcare (less so in America) for the obese. By choosing that lifestyle, you are imposing a cost on almost all of those around you; at this point, it becomes a burden. Especially if family/loved ones end up footing your medical bills. And to say that someone engaging in a destructive lifestyle, be it alcohol, drugs, or over-eating, doesn't affect those around him is pretty ignorant.
First off I don't see how public monetary burdens affects personal individual relationships...

Second... are you arguing that no one should be allowed to be fat? or that only fat people are a financial burden on America? Should we force them to be a certain way? Should we kick out all the people in America that are a burden in some way?

You make it sound like just by being a fat person you are a burden on society in general lol... what a joke...

It's funny to me because when you look at stuff like marriage and having kids and such and people putting pressure on you to do stuff like that... its a crime against humanity... but then you take a situation like this and all of a sudden those people trying to force you to be another way are right...
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-06-21 11:55:37  
its a crime against humanity... .

LOL GOD PLEASE DONT EVER GO TO MEDICAL SCHOOL! lol. what do you think doctors do for a living. they tell you what to do to live a healthy lifestyle lol.

People have a right to care about the health/well-being of their loved ones whether it be their sibling, child, spouse, best friend. And it doesn't make you selfish.

EDIT: Anyways I'm done derailing. Back on point. So long as it doesn't interfere with RL activites video games are great.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2012-06-21 11:55:37  

So a wife asking her husband to try and change his lifestyle because she can't bear to see him destroying himself, and shortening their time together, is selfish? A father trying get his son/daughter to change their diet because he cares about their health is selfish? That's the point I'm making. Asides from the financial costs, it makes very little difference to me how someone I don't know lives their life, but those who're very close to them will be affected.

So everyone else should pay for an unnecessary lifestyle choice of theirs? Yeah, that's fair. The health system should be based around curing those who are ill through misfortune or faults not on their behalf, not those who have consciously made themselves ill.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2012-06-21 11:56:52  
Question for you Flavin. Is a wife selfish/self-centered for asking her husband to adjust his diet/lifestyle when they have 3 kids? And their primary care physician has given warnings regarding weight and cholesterol?

Holy crap, hivemind.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 11:58:19  
LOL GOD PLEASE DONT EVER GO TO MEDICAL SCHOOL! lol. what do you think doctors do for a living. they tell you what to do to live a healthy lifestyle lol.
I love how you took one thing, completely out of context mind you, and then use it to make a silly comment lol...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 12:01:32  
You compare a spoue asking another spouse to a friend claiming emotional distress? For one you can argue that a spouse may rely on the other for financial reasons or needs to help in rearing the children... a friend has no such attachements or obligations to them...
 Fenrir.Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-06-21 12:03:38  

So everyone else should pay for an unnecessary lifestyle choice of theirs? Yeah, that's fair. The health system should be based around curing those who are ill through misfortune or faults not on their behalf, not those who have consciously made themselves ill.

Remember that when I'm raging at paying for the leg some guy breaks mountain biking.

And it's pretty silly to talk about fairness when talking about health issues. Do some people get cancer? Yep. Do all of them? Nope. Already not fair.

Hey speaking of cancer, there has been cancer in both sides of my family. Am I an unnecessary burden on the state as a result of my parents' conscious decision to reproduce, knowing that I have a higher chance of developing cancer?

Or, if I am not, how can we tell if my tumor is a result of lineage and not a result of spending more than my alloted time outside in the Sun?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 12:04:27  
Remember that when I'm raging at paying for the leg some guy breaks mountain biking.
But terminus! Only fat people are a burden on the medical community!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 12:06:48  
LOL GOD PLEASE DONT EVER GO TO MEDICAL SCHOOL! lol. what do you think doctors do for a living. they tell you what to do to live a healthy lifestyle lol. People have a right to care about the health/well-being of their loved ones whether it be their sibling, child, spouse, best friend. And it doesn't make you selfish. EDIT: Anyways I'm done derailing. Back on point. So long as it doesn't interfere with RL activites video games are great.
People do have a right to care about their loved ones... they however are selfish *** when they impose their own way of life on to the other... Or when they make the other feel like they are a burden on them for that way of life...

If your concerned say something make it known and if they want your help provide it... When you start to carry their problems around like a burden and make it known then you're just making it about you...
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2012-06-21 12:10:56  
I already regret a lot of things I've done in my life, I'll regret more by the time I'm dying I'm sure.. Games won't be one of them.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2012-06-21 12:12:08  
I'm not even sure where to begin here. Although first off, I should probably specify that I'm talking more about obese people, rather than those who are just a bit overweight.

First off I don't see how public monetary burdens affects personal individual relationships...

If an obese person needs healthcare, their family will end up paying for it through the medical bills, or by increased health/life insurance premiums.

Second... are you arguing that no one should be allowed to be fat? or that only fat people are a financial burden on America? Should we force them to be a certain way? Should we kick out all the people in America that are a burden in some way?

Obese people are a financial burden on society. It's a fact. Should we kick them out? No, that would be ridiculous. Should we encourage them to change to a healthier lifestyle? Absolutely. Should we begin to refuse healthcare and other accommodations etc if they refuse to change? Probably (to an extent, and disregarding certain extenuating circumstances).

You make it sound like just by being a fat person you are a burden on society in general lol... what a joke...

You are a financial burden, yes. Socially, not really.

It's funny to me because when you look at stuff like marriage and having kids and such and people putting pressure on you to do stuff like that... its a crime against humanity... but then you take a situation like this and all of a sudden those people trying to force you to be another way are right...

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.... Marriage (depending on who you ask), is not a disease/health condition. Are you pressured into doing it? Not as far as I'm aware. Perhaps by some extreme social conservatives, but most rational people couldn't give a damn if you decide not to marry or have kids, that is entirely our prerogative. Likewise, you can be fat if you want, but you shouldn't then expect everyone else to make an expensive effort to accommodate you.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2012-06-21 12:15:52  

And it's pretty silly to talk about fairness when talking about health issues. Do some people get cancer? Yep. Do all of them? Nope. Already not fair.

Hey speaking of cancer, there has been cancer in both sides of my family. Am I an unnecessary burden on the state as a result of my parents' conscious decision to reproduce, knowing that I have a higher chance of developing cancer?

Or, if I am not, how can we tell if my tumor is a result of lineage and not a result of spending more than my alloted time outside in the Sun?

Your argument is completely out of context. Last time I checked, cancer was not a lifestyle choice. How much you eat, is.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 12:20:56  
I'm not even sure where to begin here. Although first off, I should probably specify that I'm talking more about obese people, rather than those who are just a bit overweight.
If an obese person needs healthcare, their family will end up paying for it through the medical bills, or by increased health/life insurance premiums.
Obese people are a financial burden on society. It's a fact. Should we kick them out? No, that would be ridiculous. Should we encourage them to change to a healthier lifestyle? Absolutely. Should we begin to refuse healthcare and other accommodations etc if they refuse to change? Probably (to an extent, and disregarding certain extenuating circumstances).
You are a financial burden, yes. Socially, not really.
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.... Marriage (depending on who you ask), is not a disease/health condition. Are you pressured into doing it? Not as far as I'm aware. Perhaps by some extreme social conservatives, but most rational people couldn't give a damn if you decide not to marry or have kids, that is entirely our prerogative. Likewise, you can be fat if you want, but you shouldn't then expect everyone else to make an expensive effort to accommodate you.
This all started because the guys friend got a little fatter... he claimed it is a burden on him... I called him selfish...

I have friends and family that are over weight... I've never had to pay for their medical bills... Your assumption is that people that are fat are also poor? or have no medical insurance so they can not afford anythign on their own? Even if... the comment had nothing to do with financial burden lol...

People get told all the time to "not be fat anymore" so they're already encouraged enough... overweight/obesity is by far not the only nor the leading contributor to increased insurance premiums or costs... in most cases it a contributing factor in other ailments they already have...

Are you calling me fat sir?!?! /outraged lol....

the point is on a personal level someone sits there and decides well this is ok to be butthurt about and this isn't... I can bug you to do this or that and its a crime against humanity... but if I bug you about this its all good...

Like I said earlier... on a personal level you can be concerned about someone... but when you sit there and tell me that he has a problem and then you make it all about yourself... well then you're pretty self-centered in my book...

Edit: pressured into eating? Say you over eat due to another condition you suffer from... Would that make it ok to you then? lol...
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-06-21 12:21:13  

Your argument is completely out of context. Last time I checked, cancer was not a lifestyle choice. How much you eat, is.
Some lifestyle choices increase the risk of cancer, so I would say it is your choice in taking that risk.
[+]
 Odin.Tsuneo
サーバ: Odin
user: Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-06-21 12:22:07  
I'm probably going to regret drinking all the time more than the gaming.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-06-21 12:22:55  
Where do you guys get off thinking you're thoughts and feelings should override someone's choice of lifestyle? We're all in the process of dying, some people live the way they live because it really makes them happy, and others do so because they perceive it to be making the best of a shitty situation. Either way, it's really none of your business if your best friend or a complete stranger chooses to eat pizza and play video games everyday.

Voicing your concerns? That's fine. Insist they change their lives because how they live offends/upsets you? Then you're even more selfish than they are.
[+]