フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Another Gear advice Thread
Another Gear advice Thread
First Page 2
 Carbuncle.Shadowreapper
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: MrReapper
By Carbuncle.Shadowreapper 2012-11-11 15:22:31  
Hey, sorry for posting another gear advise thread.

I just got Phorcys Head and Ogier hands today. Those were two items that i wanted for one of my "ideal" tp set as drg/sam, 5hit. (Should need 52stp)
I'm short 15k on alex on ryu, still using a lolrhongo atm (so same delay).

Or this one :

Idealy, I'd go with the second tp set and use Enif Corazza over phorthos.

Some ppl told me using porthos was a bad idea. Tho, losing some attack from af3 body, for some TA, isn't a bad dealn and I don't see the flame in this setup.

Any thought on this? Or any advise?

Thanx in advance :D
By Ophannus 2012-11-11 15:53:08  
Ghillie Earring+1
 Asura.Escorian
サーバ: Asura
user: Escorian
By Asura.Escorian 2012-11-11 15:55:50  
Question why are you using Ogier's to tp with?
 Carbuncle.Shadowreapper
By Carbuncle.Shadowreapper 2012-11-11 15:56:44  
Yeah, I'm using ghillie+1 on both set, tho forgot to put it in the second set.
Any thoughts on ogier/porthos?

Edit : Using ogier hand to cover up the lose of the 10 stp from af3 body.
 Asura.Escorian
サーバ: Asura
user: Escorian
By Asura.Escorian 2012-11-11 16:01:15  
err sorry I had a brain fart there... The set looks nice to me. I was honestly thinking about going after bismark for the polearm + the body your using.
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2012-11-11 16:05:36  
Once you actually have Ryunohige, use claymore grip on the second TP set.

Oh, and Rancorous mantle when AM3 is up(and it won't get you killed).
 Carbuncle.Shadowreapper
By Carbuncle.Shadowreapper 2012-11-11 16:12:18  
Yeah, once I'll get it, I'll also use rancorous mantle.
Edit : Beats me.
By Ophannus 2012-11-11 16:21:56  
Ace's Feet+AF3 hands(or phorcys hands) and Rose Strap til you get Ryu
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2012-11-12 07:56:21  
If you have a Ryuno, then Porthos + Ogiers is only slightly good when AM is down, otherwise AF3+2 + Brego is better. Enif + Ogiers will slightly push ahead though regardless of AM. I can't say I really have a clue though when it comes to Rhongo, all stuff I've looked at has been OAT or Ryuno.
By Ophannus 2012-11-12 11:21:44  
For Herja /SAM how's:

Herja
Pole Grip
Phorcys Head
Ganesha Mala
Brutal
New STP+1 Meebles Earing
Enif Corazza
AF3 Hands
Rajas/Tyrants
Atheling
Goading
Phorcys Legs
Ace's Leggings

Trying to maximize 5hit with DA/TA/QA. People say Rancorous>Atheling but the way I see it, the 3% DA adds to WS frequency, would the 5% crit on white damage really > increased ws freq?
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2012-11-12 11:35:49  
Siren.Ihm said: »
If you have a Ryuno, then Porthos + Ogiers is only slightly good when AM is down, otherwise AF3+2 + Brego is better. Enif + Ogiers will slightly push ahead though regardless of AM. I can't say I really have a clue though when it comes to Rhongo, all stuff I've looked at has been OAT or Ryuno.
Truth.

Thats a fine set for when AM is down. When AM is up, all DA is virtually useless, TA and Quad have reduced power. Multi hit gear doesnt play very nice with OA2-3x AM so you have to throw out all the 'usual' gear sets and focus more on STP/Acc/Atk/str.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
By Siren.Ihm 2012-11-12 11:55:14  
Lakshmi.Aanalaty said: »
Truth.

Thats a fine set for when AM is down. When AM is up, all DA is virtually useless, TA and Quad have reduced power. Multi hit gear doesnt play very nice with OA2-3x AM so you have to throw out all the 'usual' gear sets and focus more on STP/Acc/Atk/str.

I noticed even stuff like Brutal Earring become quite ineffective as well under AM on WS.

Was playing around with the calculator a bit, for TP sets this is what I found as best. This was assuming 0 regain though.

AM Down AM Up

Apparently this is the best set for your dps, but it's weird, because the sTP requirements mean you have to land 4 hits on your WS for it to 5hit... so I'm a bit skeptical, but the math doesn't lie I guess. Depending on accuracy and your mob, then Houyi's gorget will beat Mala in AM up.

Can argue about the use of Rancorous mantle over atheling based on situation but meh.
 Sylph.Wardeniii
サーバ: Sylph
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniii 2012-11-13 15:22:30  
Augmented Huginn Gambieras for TP and WS.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
By Siren.Ihm 2012-11-13 19:37:51  
Sylph.Wardeniii said: »

Hmmm, depending on the mob, yeah. If you need the accuracy then AF3 win, otherwise Huginn win, based on the calculator showing Ig-Alima as the high accuracy requirement NM and Qilin as the low accuracy requirement NM.
 Carbuncle.Shadowreapper
By Carbuncle.Shadowreapper 2012-11-18 05:25:45  
Ophannus said: »
For Herja /SAM how's:

Herja
Pole Grip
Phorcys Head
Ganesha Mala
Brutal
New STP+1 Meebles Earing
Enif Corazza
AF3 Hands
Rajas/Tyrants
Atheling
Goading
Phorcys Legs
Ace's Leggings

Trying to maximize 5hit with DA/TA/QA. People say Rancorous>Atheling but the way I see it, the 3% DA adds to WS frequency, would the 5% crit on white damage really > increased ws freq?
I'm actually using this exact same tp set since i got herja 3 dayz ago. I'm just using af3+2 feet instead of ace's.
According to the dps calculator, it pulls a bit ahead. (tested on qilin)
 Sylph.Wardeniii
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniii 2012-11-19 09:04:28  

Hmmm, depending on the mob, yeah. If you need the accuracy then AF3 win, otherwise Huginn win, based on the calculator showing Ig-Alima as the high accuracy requirement NM and Qilin as the low accuracy requirement NM.

If you are having accuracy issues they should be resolved by altering food/other slots, not by removing Huginn Gambieras. They are one of the most absurd items in the game atm.

Also, a question -- for ryunohige, are crit hit damage augmented hecatomb hands+1 the best hand slot for jumps? I have a tough time seeing anything else coming close to that with the force crits.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2012-11-19 14:36:01  
Also, a question -- for ryunohige, are crit hit damage augmented hecatomb hands+1 the best hand slot for jumps? I have a tough time seeing anything else coming close to that with the force crits.
Based on spreadsheet results, Ogier's hands seem to be the best DPS gain for Ryunohige jumps. Increased TP gain > per hit jump dmg.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-11-19 14:44:03  
First priority in jump sets should be maintaining your xhit. Given the current preference for 5-hits, this heavily favors use of Ogier's Gauntlets since they're such an efficient way to gain STP.

Well, you could set up alternate damage-oriented sets for situations where you have enough TP that you'll still hit 100 even if you miss a hit (AM3 rebuild phase notwithstanding), but aside from that it's definitely a priority.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Tanama
user: JDvasquez
By Lakshmi.Tanama 2012-11-19 15:19:04  
I am not sure how Ig-Alima, no atmacites compares to higher tier Legion mobs but I used it for this example and this is what gave me the highest DPS for when AM3 is up:

Race: Elvaan
SJ: WAR
Food: Pizza+1
Target: Ig-Alima
Def Down: 35%
COR Rolls: Fighter's / Samurai [Ninja Edit: Rogue's / Samurai roll is giving me the highest numbers atm]
Haste: on
Embrava: on
Songs: Min V + IV, Mad II

AM3 Up Drakesbane
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-11-19 15:22:24  
Duplus probably beats Claymore in Mul due to crit evasion traits. I think I came up with a Legion variant set a while back but I'm headed out the door at the moment so I'll have to look later.
 Lakshmi.Tatts
user: GenTatts
By Lakshmi.Tatts 2012-11-20 00:36:49  
Since I don't feel like making a new thread about a gear set, whats the best set to use for all 4 jumps?
I know for spirit/soul you should be using Lancer legs +2 and huginn feet but what about the rest of the pieces?
Also, if you dont have huginn, whats the second best, lancer feet +2?
 Carbuncle.Shadowreapper
By Carbuncle.Shadowreapper 2012-11-21 05:51:12  
What I'm using for both spirit and soul :

I used to put porthos over lancer body (for the ta), but i have better result with lancer.
You can also swap potestas with hagneia.

And as far as I'm concerned, I don't have Hugins yet, so,I'm sticking with lancers.

Edit @ Tanama
I don't like putting random dex for drakes where I could put some STR instead. Unless you know how much dex you need to cap dDEX, i find it useless.
My 2 cents would be to switch to phorcys body and maybe pyrosoul ring, and that STR/att neck (Can't find the name, justiciar torque?)
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
By Siren.Ihm 2012-11-21 07:44:07  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
First priority in jump sets should be maintaining your xhit. Given the current preference for 5-hits, this heavily favors use of Ogier's Gauntlets since they're such an efficient way to gain STP.

Well, you could set up alternate damage-oriented sets for situations where you have enough TP that you'll still hit 100 even if you miss a hit (AM3 rebuild phase notwithstanding), but aside from that it's definitely a priority.

Don't forget though, on Jumps you can wear Conte Legs for the 2.5 TP bonus, ok, they're not uber strong, but that TP bonus will free up so many slots.

Lakshmi.Tanama said: »
I am not sure how Ig-Alima, no atmacites compares to higher tier Legion mobs but I used it for this example and this is what gave me the highest DPS for when AM3 is up:

COR Rolls: Fighter's / Samurai [Ninja Edit: Rogue's / Samurai roll is giving me the highest numbers atm]

AM3 Up Drakesbane

I ran all of what you just said, then compaired it against /SAM, and /SAM was far better...
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2012-11-21 07:58:06  
Barone/Conte Jump TP bonus only works on normal jump/high jump though. I wouldn't wanna carry them just for when my wyvern happens to be dead.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
By Siren.Ihm 2012-11-21 08:01:34  
Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Barone/Conte Jump TP bonus only works on normal jump/high jump though. I wouldn't wanna carry them just for when my wyvern happens to be dead.

Sorry, when you said jump I thought you meant jump, not soul/spirit.
 Lakshmi.Tanama
By Lakshmi.Tanama 2012-11-21 12:14:30  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »

Don't forget though, on Jumps you can wear Conte Legs for the 2.5 TP bonus, ok, they're not uber strong, but that TP bonus will free up so many slots.

Lakshmi.Tanama said: »

AM3 Up Drakesbane

I ran all of what you just said, then compaired it against /SAM, and /SAM was far better...

My spreadsheet must be broken, some values wrong or I'm using an older version? When ever I change the SJ to /SAM, DPS lowers by 15.581.

I'm going to try this again with a fresh download.
 Sylph.Decimus
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2012-11-21 12:18:25  
Did you add the obligatory hasso that should be on 100%?
 Lakshmi.Tanama
By Lakshmi.Tanama 2012-11-21 12:21:05  
Affirmative.
 Lakshmi.Tanama
By Lakshmi.Tanama 2012-11-21 12:43:43  

I ran it again with an upgraded spreadsheet and /SAM came out on top. I guess the old spreadsheet I was using had some archaic values that weren't updated.

This time, Chaos / Rogue's rolls gave the highest DPS.

Thanks for fact-checking that, Ihm.

EDIT:

With the updated spreadsheet, these sets are giving me the highest DPS:
AM3 Up Drakesbane

Setup:

SJ: SAM
COR Rolls: Chaos Att% +35 / Rogue's Crit% +15
Wyvern: on
AM3: on
Hasso / Meditate: on
Day for fTP Bonus: on

Abyssea & Voidwatch buffs: off
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
By Siren.Ihm 2012-11-22 16:55:20  

I never really put much consideration into the use of that belt and the OPness off those feet. I wonder whats the best AM down then. Not quite convinced on the WS set though tbh.

AF3+2 hands pushed ahead for me slightly on WS, and Hagneia Stone on TP.

Whats a good way to work out best AM down set though?
[+]
First Page 2