フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » iiPunch - Monk Guide
iiPunch - Monk Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 305 306 307 ... 363 364 365
 Phoenix.Oyama
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: oyama
By Phoenix.Oyama 2019-12-19 14:17:53  
I enjoy it too :). I'm not trying to debate in perpetuity either, I just thought it warranted another round lol. My only issues at this point are pretty nitpicky and not worth beating the horse. I admit I have never tried /BLU on MNK, really only do that on RUN and for RUN it's a pretty big loss in damage potential compared to their usual DD subs, so that's probably skewing my perspective.

Quote:
the whole "Counterstance is never worth using" notion is not as true as it used to be back when we didn't have so many DT and insanely strong gear options, higher HP, and the interesting /blu sub

This I do agree with 100%. I think at this point we can say that you can make a good Counter setup on Monk using either approach, and you won't be disappointed. So it's just going to be a matter of personal preference/availability of time and resources.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-12-19 14:36:24  
I agree. I use vere for everything now, and it’s such a monster I can afford to make quirky sets because you can abuse impetus smite. Gear progression is so strong now, we have things like full meva sets that dwarf any resist set possible. so many misc sets that whatever advantage you were subbing a job for might not be as necessary if you can use gear to power through it. Not always practical but it’s a small example of the power of optimization.
By SimonSes 2019-12-19 15:59:18  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Not as massive as you might think. WAR sub amounts to 10% DA, 25% attack Berserk, 10 attack and 22 defense from traits.

More like 0 attack, 15 def and also /BLU has ~6more dex and ~5 more VIT.
 Siren.Robthunder
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Robthunder 2019-12-19 17:23:31  
After Anchorite+3 feet and Hesychast's Legs+3, what do you guys consider the most important AF / Relic upgrade for monk? Hesychast's Head+3 ?

Sorry if that is too vague, I just mean in general. I assumed Hesychast Head due to the WSDmg+ which would be good for Howling Fist especially, and maybe Tornado Kick to an extent.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-12-19 17:36:20  
After the recent changes to monk ws, none of the WSD pieces are as valuable for sets as multi attack like kendatsuba set, except final heaven. Not like they used to be at least.

The relic body is a neat DT piece if you don't have Ashera or malignance. The artifact body and relic hands are for chakra macro, as the body no longer holds that much of a valuable spot for victory smite. It's a useable option if you don't have Su3. Hesychast head and artifact hands for final heaven I guess if you use Spharai. Artifact legs and relic feet are counter swaps, again not crazy necessary.

There really isn't much value in any of the artifact/relic pieces outside of the feet and legs, you just make them as swaps for the appropriate bonuses to abilities imo. You could even skip it if you don't care for the small increases. Monk artifact and Relic is arguably two of the most useless sets of JSE now
 Siren.Robthunder
By Siren.Robthunder 2019-12-19 17:41:41  
So basically I would be better off putting any money that I was considering putting into upgrading Relic / AF into pieces like Adhemar+1, Kendatsuba+1, etc.? And I don't have Ashera or Malignance, however, if I was going to go through the trouble of building the Relic body I could also just use that same time to farm for Malignance instead, right? lol.
By SimonSes 2019-12-19 18:07:06  
After the recent changes to monk ws, none of the WSD pieces are as valuable for sets as multi attack like kendatsuba set, except final heaven.

This is not really true. Relic head is VERY marginally behind Kendatsuba +1 for both Raging and Howling when attack is capped, which means it wins significantly when attack is uncapped.
 Siren.Robthunder
By Siren.Robthunder 2019-12-19 18:23:32  
Interesting. My gear is really far behind so I'm nowhere near attack cap. I'll have to just weigh my options and decide for myself what would be the best time and gil investment. Thanks for the advice guys.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-12-19 18:57:47  
SimonSes said: »
After the recent changes to monk ws, none of the WSD pieces are as valuable for sets as multi attack like kendatsuba set, except final heaven.

This is not really true. Relic head is VERY marginally behind Kendatsuba +1 for both Raging and Howling when attack is capped, which means it wins significantly when attack is uncapped.

Well you're the numbers and godhands guy so I'll go with your insight on it.

Your best time and investment is in Adhemar hands body head/+1 if you can initially. Moonbow belt/+1. Various omen items like Niqmaddu/Sherida, and you can wear kendatsuba/+1 if/when you reach 500 job points. From there it's all about making your gear progression. I wouldn't worry about things like Ashera and malignance yet, but the relic body is an easy to make piece if have the clears, and it's not expensive either outside of the mats. Of course if you're able to farm it reliably and it doesn't take away any money from other things, by all means farm away, great pieces to have

But no, I would not encourage you to dump millions into artifact and Relic upgrades that are minor when your money can go much further elsewhere. Get them along the way if you're a completionist, or skip them if you're just having fun punching stuff and don't care about optimizing every action.
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
サーバ: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2019-12-19 20:42:10  
Mildly curious what a BIS Chakra set would heal for? Right now mine is missing AF+2/3 Body and Hes. Hands are only +1 and it’s still clearing 2200~ iirc? What would an Optimal set do? Close to 3000?

No desire to actually make this because to properly utilize it you’d need to allow yourself to be 3k HP in the hole and that’s suicidal; just curious.
 Asura.Biglovin
サーバ: Asura
user: Monko
By Asura.Biglovin 2019-12-19 20:47:31  
On one page farther back I think I remember someone posting a set and he said he gets around 3200ish
 Valefor.Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2019-12-19 20:53:57  
Asura.Biglovin said: »
On one page farther back I think I remember someone posting a set and he said he gets around 3200ish
Ahh my fault, should’ve checked. That’s nuts though lol pocket-benediction lol
 Asura.Biglovin
サーバ: Asura
user: Monko
By Asura.Biglovin 2019-12-19 21:10:04  
I didn't bother making a "BIS" chakra set because most ilvl gear is pretty high for VIT. You really only need the hands and body to remove those status ailments, as one Chakra will usually give you a full cure regardless of your VIT set (except for Inner Strength HP, but that will cure you full anyways). Carrying extra gear that you are only using for Chakra is kind of a waste. The cape being the exception, if you are using it for VIT mod ws

Here's what I use. I left the other slots blank because they don't matter. Genmei Kabuto, however, does have unusually high VIT so why not. The neck and earrings I use in my enmity/High HP sets, and the rings I always carry. Beyond that, wont make much of a difference.

ItemSet 369147

As far as a BIS DT set, I don't really think there is one as it will vary based on your needs. There are great pieces that offer some valuable stats, but you should play around with sets and make your own. For instance, ashera harness has less DT, STP, and meva than malignance tabard, but has insane hp and great attack. Genmei Kabuto is in the same boat, so if something you're fighting is physical, you may opt for those over malignance to really push your hp higher. Malignance set has really low hp in comparison, so that might be something you care about (I like hitting 4000+ in mantra but it's not that important). In general, you can probably just be lazy about it and go 5/5, moon belt, cape, defending and fill the rest in.

Something like this
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2019-12-19 21:14:19  
Siren.Robthunder said: »
So basically I would be better off putting any money that I was considering putting into upgrading Relic / AF into pieces like Adhemar+1, Kendatsuba+1, etc.?

That's not an unreasonable approach, along with trying to get Malignance as you can. IDK how up to date your FFXIAH info is, but I see you also have NIN COR RUN. In which case Adhemar +1 head/body/hands are good for all three of those jobs too, and Ken+1 is fantastic for both MNK and NIN. So you'll get more overall mileage out of those pieces (and Malignance) than focusing on relatively marginal gains for MNK-specific AF/relic gear, if you're interested in maintaining multiple jobs.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-12-19 21:20:27  
The amount of health you can heal with chakra will almost always be wasted unless you're using inner strength+mantra levels of HP. I don't recall what my highest chakra was because it's usually going to heal you to full, but I'm pretty sure I've gone from critical triple digits to back up to 4500 or so with both HP buffs on. Kind if silly the amount of HP it can potentially heal but you're unlikely to get the full use of it, given that inner strength is only 30 seconds.
By geigei 2019-12-20 12:47:45  
Best multi step for solo Kei?
 Sylph.Darkside
サーバ: Sylph
user: Kensai98
By Sylph.Darkside 2019-12-20 14:40:37  
https://youtu.be/WFOflloz3XE
 Ragnarok.Inx
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2019-12-21 10:07:14  
Init test on Ask Sash. 1k TP per boost. (Vere with 0 buffs).
1200 with Godhands.
3k with Relic Knuckles :D Shame you lose TP and boost on swapping weapons... still good for comedy value.

Sash needs to be worn DURING boost, so need to adjust GS rules to lock it during buff period.

Done a few more tests, zero magic and gear haste can push it out a bit, Vere goes to 1400tp for example, Malig pole to 1600tp, but essentially 15secs of boost should get you to 1K. Which truthfully is pretty decent.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-12-21 10:57:02  
Sweet. I was debating that or the earring for first spoil
By SimonSes 2019-12-21 11:47:10  
If boost is only several second duration with full haste buffs then how much TP it gives?
 Ragnarok.Inx
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2019-12-21 11:52:30  
Basically its 200tp/3secs.
So worst case, 600tp even under max haste from gear/magic.

Best practice appears to be using a custom idle set with minimal gear haste. Pre-boost as needed so as to be able to get AM3 up instantly, from accrued boost TP and enhanced return from first hit.

Its a niche-use admittedly, but I can definitely see possibilities.
By SimonSes 2019-12-21 11:54:38  
Ragnarok.Inx said: »
Basically its 200tp/3secs.

I think it will be useful for starting the fight with shell crusher :)
[+]
 Siren.Robthunder
By Siren.Robthunder 2019-12-21 14:36:01  
I was holding out buying anything with Domain Points to see how much the Wyrm Ash went for / the items from it, but after reviewing them, am I missing something or are they kind of meh? Will any of them actually have a use? lol. (Not specific to mnk, just in general).

Because I went 0/7 last night on Yilan for Adhemar head again, I'm getting sick of him not dropping and that Jovian from Domain Points is begging me to just go ahead and buy it lol.
By Ruaumoko 2019-12-21 14:53:58  
Did you see if the Weapon Skill Damage also builds per tick? 20% Weapon Skill Damage on the waist would be very powerful.
By huttburt<3 2019-12-21 14:57:45  
Ruaumoko said: »
Did you see if the Weapon Skill Damage also builds per tick? 20% Weapon Skill Damage on the waist would be very powerful.
That would be ridiculous, so it's probably likely. SE does ***without thinking, like how bead farming is a huge pita now.
 Shiva.Thorny
サーバ: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2019-12-21 15:10:38  

It's a conditional. Boost(buff active) grants 5% WSD and 200 regain. There's absolutely no reason it would build per tick. Regain occurs per tick because that's exactly what regain is, see any other gear.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-12-21 18:11:11  
backtracking to the chakra question earlier, hit 4802 chakra in Lilith fight just now. Had Mantra + Inner Strength on.
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2019-12-22 01:36:14  
backtracking to the chakra question earlier, hit 4802 chakra in Lilith fight just now. Had Mantra + Inner Strength on.
Good lord O_o; Why on earth is it so strong? Lolol.
Obviously it’s recast is far too long to be even remotely abusable but 4,800!? That’s hilarious to me.
By SimonSes 2019-12-22 06:58:50  
also builds per tick?

Boost doesnt have any ticks. You are asking about WSD building per tick of regain, which has no sense, since Boost is what trigger the WSD, not regain.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-12-22 10:18:48  
Stupid question, but did you test if the WSD applies to all hits of the Boosted WS? I know general WSD does not apply, but I'm wondering why they would give a waist which appears to be inferior to even nq moonbow, if I'm not mistaken. So while Rua's question seems kind of silly, a good testing of that belt's WSD trait under boost should be tested to see if it is actually entranced somehow towards to WS used. It's clearly a waist for Boost and WS, it wouldn't make sense if it was ONLY a regain swap. 5 WSD is kind of weak, but would be very cool if it was during all hits.

Just curious.
First Page 2 3 ... 305 306 307 ... 363 364 365