users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Gear Discussion ? For Mnks
Gear Discussion ? For Mnks
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-08-12 23:09:35  
Demonknight said:
Pure DOT hollow wins. You can't possibly argue that fact.

I'm not saying pure DoT, I'm saying usefulness. I don't recall ever stating Ethereal was a better DoT earring.

Again non-elitsts repsonses not those who should be using a 2h weapon job instead since all they care about are bragging rights are what I'm looking for.
 Pandemonium.Nerevar
サーバ: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Nerevar 2009-08-12 23:26:53
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Here's your 5 evasion.

Is Ethereal the end-all be-all solo/evasion earring? Yes.

Worth it compared to end-all be-all DD earring (for MNK)? Sure, if all you do is solo.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-08-12 23:50:20  
Nerevar said:
Here's your 5 evasion.

Is Ethereal the end-all be-all solo/evasion earring? Yes.

Worth it compared to end-all be-all DD earring (for MNK)? Sure, if all you do is solo.

It's dual purpose, it's not only doing 1 thing. You keep stating the same thing in a different way and still haven't said how 1 single stat increase by 1 point outweighs a dual purpose item.

I'm not looking for End-All-Be-All which is what your sole concern seems to be. I'll ask once again, not requesting parser dependant repsonders to waste more time: How does 1 ACC serve more use over all than ATK and EVA?

If I wanted to play a job where gear is just done for DMG output only I'd play WAR or DRK instead.

I'd use Hollow over Ethereal anytime I was doing any event too if I had both. If I was doing anything else, such as helping someone farm a test or af quests or farming I'd take Ethereal.

I'll never toss my Ethereal even if I just did events and not solo since I have PLD but that's not why I prefer it.

I really don't understand how you can suggest someone getting Hollow over Ethereal when Hollow's end-all-be-all is by only 1 ACC.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-08-13 00:13:41  
This is pretty much pointless now, I don't think it's possible for you to convince me 1 ACC for DoT (which it's not going to always be the best in all situations anyways) is better than dual stats. Both are good earrings anyways and have their uses.

If you want to do the most DoT you can in events then go hollow.

If you want to go rounded stats go ethereal, or if you ever plan on leveling PLD too.

It's pretty obvious we have different play styles. Personally I could care less about stats normally, as long as something does what I need I never care about being better than anyone. I never understood the elitist perspective I guess and I don't think that makes me any less of a player either.

As for the elusive earring that thing is trash. I'd rather use an evasion earring for the skill or a musical earring. At least a musical earring will benefit BRD if the person ever levels it.

Edit: If you can actually convince me that Hollow is more useful for MNK, in all situations, I will re-do Apoc Nigh and retire my Ethereal even though it did save my *** on PLD on many occasions.
 Pandemonium.Nerevar
サーバ: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Nerevar 2009-08-13 01:13:14
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Hollow vs Ethereal (for MNK)= 3 accuracy + 2 DEX vs 5 attack + 5 evasion + 15 HP.

What is this 1 accuracy ***? Thought we were comparing Hollow to Ethereal?

One is slightly better for DD, one is slightly better for solo/evasion. (If you want to compare to alternatives)

Yakutatazu said:
As for the elusive earring that thing is trash. I'd rather use an evasion earring for the skill or a musical earring. At least a musical earring will benefit BRD if the person ever levels it.

Doubt anyone would spend the ABCs on Musical earring purely for the evasion+.

Yakutatazu said:
Edit: If you can actually convince me that Hollow is more useful for MNK, in all situations, I will re-do Apoc Nigh and retire my Ethereal even though it did save my *** on PLD on many occasions.

Probably not worth it with PLD leveled.
 Lakshmi.Bshizzle
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Brucio
By Lakshmi.Bshizzle 2009-08-13 01:22:01  
One earring has acc and dex, the other has evasion and att.

Oranges are orange, apples are red.

Ethereal is not a MNK earring. Mnks are DD not tanks, therefore evasion is not crucial.

Of course every job gets hit while soloing, but that's irrelevant.
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-13 01:24:13  
There are earrings that give just as much eva as Ethereal. I don't see any point where you need 5 attack and 5 eva at the same time. When it comes to DD'ing, I would rather use use Merman's than ethereal.
 Gilgamesh.Funsam
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: funsam
By Gilgamesh.Funsam 2009-08-13 02:21:13  
Bshizzle said:

Ethereal is not a MNK earring. Mnks are DD not tanks, therefore evasion is not crucial.

Even tho eva not a critical stat for mnk, saying that a mnk never tanks is laughable. any half decent monk will pull hate very easy so eva is not a bad stat as a additional bonus.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-13 02:25:52  
Funsam said:
Bshizzle said:

Even tho eva not a critical stat for mnk, saying that a mnk never tanks is laughable. any half decent monk will pull hate very easy so eva is not a bad stat as a additional bonus.

While that's true, its a bonus simply that. It should never be the deciding factor on which piece of gear to get.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-13 02:31:03  
Actually no, in terms of DD, hollow at uncapped acc is more than double as effective as ethereal. The diff between diabolos and hollow is obviously less though.
 Cerberus.Geldric
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Geldricv2
By Cerberus.Geldric 2009-08-13 02:36:10  
Bshizzle said:

Yea, no. And for saying Evasion is not crucial, look up Oblit on this site and skim through his pictures real quick.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-13 02:42:36  
Yes but when you are on a mnk thread, asking which earring is best for mnk, I have 0 concern for your other jobs. I will tell you the best earring, and list the alternatives to that earring if you can't get.

For example, you can't afford toreador's ring? I'm still going to list that at the top and then list nq sniper as one of the alternatives.

Edit:
And as far as mnk goes
Hollow ≥ Minuet > Diabolos > Fenrir's (Day time) > Merman's > Ethereal
For DD'ing.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-08-13 10:17:31  
Nerevar said:
What is this 1 accuracy ***? Thought we were comparing Hollow to Ethereal?

This 1 acc ***is the boost Hollow does compared to other acc earrings, Ethereal compared to other atk earrings adds eva. That's the comparison, not the 4 acc and .1% crit rate of Hollow vs 5 atk/eva of Ethereal.

Nerevar said:
Yakutatazu said:

Doubt anyone would spend the ABCs on Musical earring purely for the evasion+.

You fail to notice I said it would be worth getting over elusive, evasion earring for the skill should be used first anyways. Elusive is trash, the only time I'd use an eva earring w/o skill from Evasion earring is with Ethereal since it has dual stats.

Bshizzle said:

You obviously know little about MNK. While MNK doesn't tank everything, it can tank quite a bit. Unless your char sucks you should end up tanking things like ISNM, Salvage, NMs.. hell I've even tanked Jailers while the PLDs were dead or if doing low man Faith. You may not tank in your lvl 55 EXP pt but you will tank at 75 unless you suck.

Nerevar said:
Probably not worth it with PLD leveled.

Honestly I could care less about PLD, I gear MNK for what helps me most then I worry about other jobs. While a great earring for PLD I don't need it.

It's already apparent that this new MNK is just another 'hit as hard as I can and not worry about the consequences' type. He might as well get Hollow since he just cares about how much dmg he can do. He can macro in his Hollow for Jin or something too since he's probably not going to be a full time MNK anyways.

I'd still like anyone to say why 1 acc boost is better (to say you're going to be in uncapped acc your whole MNK career is just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE) than a dual purpose earring. All I've seen is 'it's the best DD earring.. etc.. etc..' which I never realized was ever stated to be false by anyone.

This is in a MNK only thread b/c to me Ethereal serves more purpose overall. Not every MNK survives on how much more DoT they did than someone else in the pt.

Vegetto said:
Funsam said:
Bshizzle said:

While that's true, its a bonus simply that. It should never be the deciding factor on which piece of gear to get.

The only real bonus(for MNK) Hollow has is 2 DEX. It could be argued just the same that 1 ACC and .1% or w/e minuscle crit rate it gives is just a 'bonus simply that'. Ethereal gives 5 eva (9 net vs Mermans) if used for atk and 5 atk if used for eva, additionally it has 15 HP(while not a lot, I'm sure I'm not the only one that has ever been under 15 hp for w/e reason).

While I wouldn't merit as melee in Ethereal I would use if for the other half of the game. I suppose too many ppl forget there is life after endgame events.
 Fairy.Basilo
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-08-13 10:27:34  
Bshizzle said:

....wut
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-08-13 10:42:53  
Get a Mirke Basilo! ;D
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-08-13 15:10:47  
Yakutatazu said:
Get a Mirke Basilo! ;D

I do ok w/o it lol, vegetto parsed us jade sploocher camp him : ws avg 840 ttl dmg 217k acc 91% me : ws avg 820 ttl dmg 197k 89% acc. I bought minuet earring again over using mermans as it also brings my str to 68+12 in tp, should of bought it before the parse.

Hat off to vegetto full usu is beastly, thats partly why I avoided mirke, infact no acp body was that appealing compared to the kupo head options.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-08-13 15:17:31  
I am betting the next add-on is going to be legs, and your Shura+1 legs will no longer be supreme. :D

Edit: You consider augmenting your Cerb+1? lol
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-08-13 15:30:01  
Yakutatazu said:
I am betting the next add-on is going to be legs, and your Shura+1 legs will no longer be supreme. :D

Edit: You consider augmenting your Cerb+1? lol

5acc cerb+1 would be nice, Ill never take the risk despite caring less and playing less but Id give millions for some of the better augs ppl have gotten 1dex on toreadors, 5 acc on cerb+1, that warwolf belt further up or mab on ele staves.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-13 15:42:14  
You know if you haven't used your one time restore, you can augment and toss it if its bad, and restore your item, comes back w/o augment
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-08-13 15:45:36  
Vegetto said:
You know if you haven't used your one time restore, you can augment and toss it if its bad, and restore your item, comes back w/o augment

Someone did that already? Pretty funny if so. Basi go augment it >O!
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-13 15:46:37  
Yea someone who got -2 str -2 dex on their dusk gloves+1 did it
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-08-13 16:28:26  
I used it for lolsmart grenade.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-13 17:20:59  
What >.> You wasted your restore on smart grenade? They never even fixed that dude lol they're still Dboxable. I had someone else quest it when i tossed mine and paid them 10k for it.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-08-14 11:45:30  
Yeah... but 1 restore chance or none personally I wouldnt feel any more secure with one chance than none. And I have never made an ah mistake, dropped,thrown or have been unable to obtain any item since the grenade. But yea I noticed you could d box it after gm sent me 2 accidently and I posted one to someone. When I never expected to get a black tathlum and wanted a 4 attk piece for focus asuran fists, and never knew it was d box able...seemed good idea to use my chance then. Sits in storage now, oh well.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-08-14 13:05:17  
Should still augment it man, what's the worst that could happen? Probably just get additional elemental resistances lol. Unless you plan on selling it one day I'd do it. :D
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-08-14 13:18:04  
Yakutatazu said:
...what's the worst that could happen?...
Famous last words.