users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » ~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 54 55 56 ... 136 137 138
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Kyte 2019-03-12 12:27:58  
It can certainly be a stand-in until you upgrade. The difference isn't massive and you need to get the AF+3 body for the fast cast anyways.
[+]
 Asura.Byrne
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Byrne 2019-03-12 13:25:36  
Yeah, the value of fast cast on Tank jobs is criminally overlooked... To a tank, fast cast is just as critical to you, if not more-so than to mages, as you're gonna be getting whacked while in that midcast gear, best to minimize that time as much as possible (and have hybrid midcasts in some cases of course).

Sorry for going on a tangent about it, it's just one of the tanking oversights that I see the most.
[+]
By soralin 2019-03-22 19:53:41  

So, Shining One on Paladin is pretty fun for soloing Job Points pretty fast :3

Using Ayame I can pretty consistently Darkness Skillchain every single WS, and do easily 35~50K dmg a pop.

Absolutely insane clear speed.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Watusa
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Watusa
By Lakshmi.Watusa 2019-04-04 01:43:08  
Is there any point in taking a Burtgang to afterglow other than the +5 enmity, or is this just for aesthetics/e-peen?
By Taint 2019-04-04 06:12:41  
Lakshmi.Watusa said: »
Is there any point in taking a Burtgang to afterglow other than the +5 enmity, or is this just for aesthetics/e-peen?

Enmity is the best part of Burt.

The PDT is mostly useless.
AM3 is a *** to maintain.
Spirits sucks.
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2019-04-04 08:45:47  
soralin said: »

So, Shining One on Paladin is pretty fun for soloing Job Points pretty fast :3

Using Ayame I can pretty consistently Darkness Skillchain every single WS, and do easily 35~50K dmg a pop.

Absolutely insane clear speed.

Is this faster than cleaving with Ochain + Aeolian Edge?
By soralin 2019-04-04 11:26:21  
Asura.Reichleiu said: »

Is this faster than cleaving with Ochain + Aeolian Edge?

On Asura? Without a doubt.

I started doing this because the AE Cleaving spots are dominated by dozens of farm bots.

Apex bats however are moderately open enough I can farm non stop.

So, yes. Also even aside from that, I'd say when I was at max cleaving speed I was still going slightly slower than with that polearm. But not by much.
By soralin 2019-04-04 11:29:16  

If you want to be able to solo T1 and T2 escah NMs, yes. Cause 119 III Burtgang can get there.

I can also solo pretty well with 119 III Excalibur.

AM3 isn't hard to maintain if you instruct your supports to keep you haste capped just like the DDs.

They should be doing that though (but often don't because lazy), since you know... spell recasts help a lot.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2019-04-04 12:19:05  
Taint said: »

Enmity is the best part of Burt.

AM3 is a *** to maintain.
Spirits sucks.

Ok.
[+]
By Boshi 2019-04-05 15:02:16  

Pick who to listen to on these forums carefully folks.
[+]
By soralin 2019-04-05 15:24:10  
I would argue Moralltach in some situations us the superior sword to idle in, over burtgang.

A master paladin should certainly have both.
By eliroo 2019-04-05 15:28:30  
soralin said: »
I would argue Moralltach in some situations us the superior sword to idle in, over burtgang.

A master paladin should certainly have both.

Don't most master Paladins Idle in Epeolatry these days?

/s
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin 2019-04-05 15:29:31  
Boshi said: »

Pick who to listen to on these forums carefully folks.

Normally agree with Taint on things, but the DTII(not PDT, which I can see as being less worthy but not worthless) on Burt is what makes it so OP. I AG'ed because of the knock to skill.. not to mention that if you tank for real DDs, you need all of the enmity you can get. A good PLD will still have trouble in longer zerg-type fights with feisty DDs.. we need all the help we can get.

Burtgang can do very good damage, but usually you're not buffed to do damage. Atonement is garbage, but in a solid hybrid set the AM3 will actually be useful unlike with other jobs. I could probably solo Sinister Reign content on PLD with trusts onry. Stuff that's a little harder might require real support to actually put out damage.
By Taint 2019-04-05 16:07:44  
I don’t mind being wrong.

Please name a single instance that requires Burt? Or even one where the extra PDT makes a difference?

I can’t find one or I’d have a Burt tomorrow.
By Boshi 2019-04-05 16:40:43  
every instance where taking 36% less damage per swing or melee move is beneficial.
By Taint 2019-04-05 16:59:17  
every instance where taking 36% less damage per swing or melee move is beneficial.

Exactly my point...there are none. Or I'm open to you suggesting one that I haven't found.

PLD is -PDT (yes i know not -PDTII) heavy with cure pot+ and easy to stack HP. Shield plus reprisal devalues PDTII as well.
By Boshi 2019-04-05 17:06:29  
If you're using ochain on everything you're probably dead anyways.
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2019-04-05 17:18:17  
He’s right though, you’re reading one line as if he’s completely writing off Burt.

Enmity is the best part and PDTII is mostly useless. When it wasn’t useless, we were swapping shields mid fight or for certain moves like MR’s Cloudsplitter.
[+]
By soralin 2019-04-05 17:23:35  

Exactly my point...there are none. Or I'm open to you suggesting one that I haven't found.

PLD is -PDT (yes i know not -PDTII) heavy with cure pot+ and easy to stack HP. Shield plus reprisal devalues PDTII as well.

When you already take 0 per swing.

With capped phalanx and excalibur, VD ambu mobs pretty much always hit me for 0 in my hibrud set. Excaliburs 30 tic regen vastly outpaces the dps I recieve.

Moralltach shines in low phys situations where grey damage pretty much already sits at 0. VD ambuscade, stuff like that.

In those cases the huge HP boost for soaking up non-phys tank busters makes Moralltach shine.

Last months tonberry ambu was a good example. There was very little phys dmg threats. Dark damage from everyone vengeance was basically the only threat, so burtgang's pdt offered little.

I would say burthang applies in like 90% of situations, moralltach 10%

Definitely make burtgang first. Moralltach should however be the final item a paladin obtains to 'finish' their job.
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-04-05 17:25:21  
Imma be a troll and say make an Epeolatry and call it a day.
By soralin 2019-04-05 17:25:34  
Also, for super tanking as I mentioned before, moralltach lets you rock capped fast cast and SIRd and Cure Pot without ping ponging hp. Its pretty dope.
By Taint 2019-04-05 17:46:36  

Ochain?

Still waiting for the a good Burt pdtIi use...I’m honestly asking.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2019-04-05 17:56:22  

Ochain?

Still waiting for the a good Burt pdtIi use...I’m honestly asking.
Halphas
[+]
By soralin 2019-04-05 18:18:17  
Any boss that has heavy hitting physical dmg moves.

So basically all of Omen.

All of Dynamis, as even the wave 3 trash mobs deal enough phys dmg to easily hurt a lot even with ochain up and phalanx capped. Burtgang is very important there.

Basically any content where monsters hit for >600 dmg with their normal melee attacks. Even with blocks and phalanx they'll hit hard.
By Taint 2019-04-05 18:51:58  
Halphas is a good one esp when he first came out.

Omen is a big hell no.
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-04-05 19:09:09  
Honestly nothing in this game requires Epeo or Burt. Literally everything can and has been done without. No one saying it doesn't help, but it's not needed at all.
[+]
By eliroo 2019-04-05 20:32:26  
It is just a matter of how AFK your healer can be.
By soralin 2019-04-09 11:45:44  
Ok so on the Ambuscade page for this month people were discussing how to put out proper DPS as a Paladin.

This is my 'Hybrid' paladin set I use for most content. It works exceptionally well.

ItemSet 359870
(Augmented cape with Dex+30, Acc/Att+20, DA+10%, PDT-10%)

And my Savage Blade set:
ItemSet 360396
(Augmented cape with Str+30, Acc/Att+20, WSD+10%, PDT-10%)

If you swap to Ochain, the set does lack a bit on MDT, its about I think 6~8% short? But if you are using Ochain on a fight I presume its because you don't need the MDT.

With Aegis however you will have capped MDT easily, as with Shell V + 99 Aegis you only need like 12% MDT in gear and this has much more than that.

Finally, a key thing to note, with /war Fencer trat and Moonshade Earring, you will want to pop Savage blade at around 1400 TP, not 1000! This is pretty critical to min/maxxing your DPS. Basically you want your TP Bonus to edge you up into ~2000 TP total with Savage blade!

Theoretically Sequence would be better in this build, but I like to start fights off with AM3 on Excalibur for that sweet delicious 30 tic regen and 3 tic refresh. There have been way too many fights to count (specifically anything that inflicts max hp down, curse, etc) where that 30 tic regen is super clutch in not dying. This months ambuscade is a great example.

But honestly any of the DREAM weapons for paladin are totally acceptable, including Naegling and Moralltach. They will all perform not that big of a difference from each other, though if you want to max out your DPS, Sequence is technically the best, then Naegling second, then Burtgang, then Excalibur, and Almace last.

For Savage Blade spam at least.
By Taint 2019-04-09 12:04:18  
Arke set is pretty damn fun for PLD DPS. Zero Meva but its typically not an issue on PLD since you'll have a WHM focused on you.

A full +1 set is +50 damage to TP. So a 1000 damage hit is 500 tp. With multiple mobs on you the TP gain can be crazy. Add MA gear in all your other slots.
By soralin 2019-04-09 12:10:17  
Arke set is pretty damn fun for PLD DPS. Zero Meva but its typically not an issue on PLD since you'll have a WHM focused on you.

A full +1 set is +50 damage to TP. So a 1000 damage hit is 500 tp. With multiple mobs on you the TP gain can be crazy. Add MA gear in all your other slots.

The MEVA is pretty clutch for Paladin DPS.

The reason this actually loses a lot of its value, is with a pimp Phalanx set Ambuscade V1VD mobs generally hit me for 0 dmg, and crit for like 20~40.

The TP Moves hit a bit harder, but its meh.

If you are taking tonnes of grey damage, you're enmitty will very rapidly evaporate and holding hate against DDs blowing out 50~90k WSes will be nigh impossible.

Arke is fun for sure but, not viable in end game :(
First Page 2 3 ... 54 55 56 ... 136 137 138