フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » News » New Forum Mod
New Forum Mod
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-26 16:16:11  
I don't think having a user-made title system, where the user gives him/herself a title instead of it being user generated, is a bad idea tbh.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-26 16:17:21  
Custom title is harmless, Scragg actually suggested it 20 years ago and we're still waiting.

But a ranking system just no.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-26 16:18:47  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Custom title is harmless, Scragg actually suggested it 20 years ago and we're still waiting.
It's on his "to-do" list.

Like poking Kojo with a stick.
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-05-26 16:19:17  
Prior to XIVpro, a user's current FFXI in-game title was their forum title.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-26 16:19:56  
I kindof remember that.
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-05-26 16:21:03  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I kindof remember that.
I think the "Game:" under your avatar used to show your job instead of which game the character was from.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-05-26 16:21:40  
Bismarck.Alyora said: »
I don't think it would be a bad thing. It could be something like this. For example, if contributor was a guide maker for blue mage, if the thread reached like from 5k users, the contributor could get a rank maybe called "Blue Mage Expert"

I don't see harm in it. I would see it as that person is knowledgeable about blue.
What Nightfyre said.

Once again, you will not reinvent the wheel, there is a reason why it's not used on other "normal" forums and why they don't have their mods losing credibility either. That's harsh, but it basically means open your eyes to what a forum actually needs since you're clearly having troubles handling things here. I say you, but I don't mean you specifically, so don't take it personally.

If you want more ideas for custom titles, it's simple: as said before, based on post count (most forums will use medieval ranks, where you start as a peasant and your ultimate rank is Alpha & Omega), or like BG does, based on FFXI related monsters/things.
I even saw a French forum who made very bad puns with FFXI monsters/NMs/items and gave them as titles.

If you really want to give people special titles to make things a bit funny, or just new, there are countless possibilities that have nothing to do with "hey guys, please upboat my guide for BLU :^)" and what not. You should already know that in a lot of situation, posters get +'d for the sake of having a vagina. If your forum members can be this pathetic, you can very well expect them to play the "upvote friends, downvote competition" game.

Going this way willingly would only show the lack of experience and understanding as a team of moderators, because abuse WILL happen, and there is nothing you can do about it. So back to my first paragraph and my blunt comment.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2015-05-26 16:27:37  
Josiahkf said: »
This is a forum for a video game guys remember, I don't think something fun and light hearted like that is as detrimental as you convey;
Having watched some subreddits get put to the test by large increases in population recently, I can attest that it is. The mods of said subreddits had to up their numbers well beyond what you'd expect from a simple population increase, tighten restrictions on content (both what could be posted and how it was posted, in order to curb karma farming), and work substantially harder to maintain any sort of content quality within their subs. Encouraging people to abuse upvote systems, which will happen if you attach the tiniest bit of value to them, might bring in a very small amount of beneficial content but I can guarantee it will double the mods' workload.

Quote:
we already have a large amount of low effort posting as the majority of our traffic regardless.
That doesn't mean we should encourage more of the same.

Custom user-editable titles is fine, though it's obviously something else the mods will have to police.
By Bloodrose 2015-05-26 16:27:48  
Neko Sentai, when I was an active member, used to have a setting that allowed people to make their own custom titles that appeared above their names.

No ranking *** either.

And as far as I remember from my time there, none of the mods ever lost credibility.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-05-26 16:29:02  
I wonder if removing post counts and a rating system completely would actually encourage people to join in more. Because if so even that might be worth considering; could call it ffxiah grown up or something corny. Might make for some inviting atmosphere for discussion.

We'd probably have to remove "date joined" as well. Hmmm
Yeah, that will encourage people for sure.

I mean, someone like Pchan would have a negative rating and according to your point of view, we'd never give him any kind of attention.

10/10 system.

Never use a rating system on a forum, Pchan is a good example of why you shouldn't.
I can't read.

The key is to give people an equal ground where each of your post will determine your impact. Anything that would tell people your impact before seeing your post's content is bad. So a rating is bad, and post count is misleading.

When I see your 40k posts, I just think that you must shitpost 90% of the time, and your posts have less credibility in my eyes. Then I read them, and they're not so bad. Numbers have a terrible power on people.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-26 16:29:06  
SaintJosiahkf said: »
This is a forum for a video game guys remember, I don't think something fun and light hearted like that is as detrimental as you convey; we already have a large amount of low effort posting as the majority of our traffic regardless.

It's not like I'm suggesting Apple or Google create a forum system like this, completely undermining their business model etc. I'd just like to find ways to encourage people to join in that don't rely on my trying to reprimand people or change their behavior. This site and game have had dwindling populations unrelated to our drama and behavior so it's not like we can blame ourselves for everything.
Just cause it isn't a big business it doesn't mean it's okay to be bad. People have already explained why it's not a good system so I don't feel the need to add further.

Also you "reprimanding" people is quite often unwarranted and condescending, so yeah.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-05-26 16:31:12  
I wonder if removing post counts and a rating system completely would actually encourage people to join in more. Because if so even that might be worth considering; could call it ffxiah grown up or something corny. Might make for some inviting atmosphere for discussion.

We'd probably have to remove "date joined" as well. Hmmm
It would defer people from posting, actually. It's been done before on other sites, numerous times, all with the same result: Serious lack of members and eventual shutdown.

Basically, the rating system idea is horrible, because then users would rely on an easily abused rating system instead of actual community rapport, reputation, and post content.

It wouldn't be "ffixah grown up", but give all power to the trolls who rate themselves up based on being in cliques, so they can lord their status over others. There's not enough mods on hand as it is to handle what already goes on, so there will definitely be a huge shortage if that is ever implemented.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-05-26 16:32:19  
Bismarck.Alyora said: »
I don't think it would be a bad thing. It could be something like this. For example, if contributor was a guide maker for blue mage, if the thread reached like from 5k users, the contributor could get a rank maybe called "Blue Mage Expert"

I don't see harm in it. I would see it as that person is knowledgeable about blue.

As someone who would have a title like that, even the one you use as an example specifically, I can tell you it is meaningless and would only serve to sow discord.

I already have people day by day who send me PMs, I've even had dozens of people approach me in FFXIV, a game unrelated entirely to XI or BLU, and thank me for my work on the BLU guide and how much I've helped them over the years. People who put in to the community get recognition automatically, whether they want it or not. Don't need a title that plasters it everywhere or a number that goes higher every time someone clicks a [+] to validate your want or ability to help people... it will happen on its own.

"Are you the Prothescar from AH?"
"Did you make the BLU guide?"
"Thank you you helped me become a better blu :)"

It's gratifying, but also isn't, and shouldn't be, the sole means by which someone is contributing meaningful information to the community. I didn't make and don't continue to maintain my guide on the basis of popularity and wanting to be showered in compliments. I made my guide because I love Blue Mage and wanted to help others become better at it, improving the individual and the job as a whole as a result.

Adding a system like this would serve only to encourage people to make useless bait posts in hopes of receiving more [+] marks for their "Slayer of Forumimity II" title. And besides that, Scragg has enough on his plate and there are a lot of actual features to the site that can be addressed instead of popularity contests.
[+]
 Bismarck.Alyora
VIP
サーバ: Bismarck
user: alyria
By Bismarck.Alyora 2015-05-26 16:35:37  
Someone sounds maaaad
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-26 16:36:52  
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
When I see your 40k posts, I just think that you must shitpost 90% of the time, and your posts have less credibility in my eyes. Then I read them, and they're not so bad. Numbers have a terrible power on people.
Wait, people care about the number of posts they have here?
VIP
By Terraka 2015-05-26 16:37:48  

I didn't think people actually cared about the amount of posts.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2015-05-26 16:38:37  
Oh believe me, some do... Any little thing to hold over someone else, whether it's having more posts or pointing out that someone "clearly has no life" because they have whatever number of posts.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-26 16:38:54  
Terraka said: »

Me neither.

It's just a number. Doesn't mean that you have more/less authority to post than me.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-05-26 16:39:18  
For some incredibly silly reason or another, yeah.
[+]
 Ramuh.Urial
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2015-05-26 16:39:24  
Terraka said: »

I mean there was a time when people were like, "Omg I got 1k"....7 years ago...
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-05-26 16:39:32  
Some do. Because numbers have a huge impact on humans. Some people will care because it's literally their *** measurements, and some other will care because it will make them feel like the person is credible, or not.

Some people may also not care at all and most people will only care slightly.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-26 16:40:06  
Wait, if people care about post count, does that mean Josiahfk is no longer the bus flipper but instead King of the Nerds?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-26 16:42:21  
Some do. Because numbers have a huge impact on humans. Some people will care because it's literally their *** measurements, and some other will care because it will make them feel like the person is credible, or not.

Some people may also not care at all and most people will only care slightly.
Now, to figure out a way to exploit this power.....so I can....

TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-05-26 16:43:02  
You lack the vagina and the cute avatars. Work on those points and you're almost there.

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-26 16:43:28  
I mean postcount is literally one of the most common "cards" pulled out during arguments(by forum scrubs that is).
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-26 16:44:41  
Don't worry, I consider all you shitheads equal!

Some more equal than others!
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12