フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 116 117 118 ... 141 142 143
 Odin.Lawii
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Lawiii
By Odin.Lawii 2020-08-20 07:43:05  
The 600 skill set has 29 MND more than the 611 skill set. If you are not capped dMND this would end up being more beneficial than the skill.
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-08-20 08:20:21  
Can anyone think of a situation, while single wielding, where tier2 enspell could perform better than tier1?

I can't think of anything.
By SimonSes 2020-08-20 09:11:00  
Asura.Sechs said: »
Can anyone think of a situation, while single wielding, where tier2 enspell could perform better than tier1?

I can't think of anything.

I think someone described Omega and Ultima master trial using RDM with Crocea en-spell II specifically. You will need to dig it up.
By Heck 2020-08-20 10:26:13  
For NM that are slightly resistant like Wave 3 Fetter bosses and HELMs you loose a lot of just base magic accuracy. So to meet some stats in the middle and to ignore some of those augments on reisen gear that can be hard to roll would a good substitute be something like this:

ItemSet 375007

Cape: MND+20, Magic Accuracy +30, Fast Cast +10
Lappas: Path B

MND +301
Enfeebling Magic: 601
user: Hiraishin
By Asura.Hiraishinsenna 2020-08-20 11:15:27  
why staff+grip? you're losing a lot of macc not using maxentius/daybreak and ammurapi shield
[+]
By Heck 2020-08-20 11:37:09  
it's to reach the 600 enfeebling magic threshold for Distract/Frazzle, more to balance magic accuracy and enfeebling magic to retain potency and get less resists. This is for highly resistant NMs to be exact
 Asura.Crowned
user: Crowned
By Asura.Crowned 2020-08-20 11:39:50  
Why specifically the ambu staff though? You could swap to a grioavolr and gain 16 enfeebling skill and tons of macc from a good augment.

Edit: I just saw "ignore reisen augs" my fault. It still seems silly to use the ambu staff though. As hira mentioned, maxentius/daybreak + ammurapi would be a huge gain in macc. The ambu staff only provides 20 mnd and macc for distract/frazzle, and its not even a gain when you take a look at the alternatives' stats.
By Heck 2020-08-20 11:52:28  
I was looking at the Ambu staff just for the magic accuracy, Grio with good aguments will beat it maybe if you roll the highest but was trying to look past that part.

Ambu Staff: 20 MND, Magic Acc +40, Mag Acc Skill +250

Grio: 19 MND, Magic Acc +14, Mag Acc Skill +228
(+20 MND), (+30 Mag Acc), (+16 Enf Skill) --with god rolls

I'm also assuming your dMND is pretty much capped with +300 on most to all endgame NMs
 Asura.Crowned
By Asura.Crowned 2020-08-20 11:59:25  
Afaik, magic acc skill is a 1:1 ratio with macc. If your goal with the ambu staff is just macc, daybreak + ammurapi shield will easily be better than ambu staff + grip.

Daybreak + ammurapi = 242 macc skill, 78 macc total, 43 mnd.

Ambu staff + grip = 250 macc skill, 45 macc total, 20 mnd, 5 enfeebling skill.
By Heck 2020-08-20 12:04:39  
You would loose the 5 enfeebling magic, which will make your distract/frazzle less potent. The gearset is more of a road in the middle to maintain potency with magic accuracy for resistant fights. If we were to use that club/shield combo, you wouldn't benefit from the MND (since we are assuming that your dMND is capped) and the gain would only be magic accuracy.
 Asura.Crowned
By Asura.Crowned 2020-08-20 12:12:43  
Losing 5 enfeebling skill would equate to a loss of 1 evasion down on distract 3, which is completely irrelevant. I highly doubt your dMND would be capped on anything you'd want to use a high(er) macc distract/frazzle set on.
 Odin.Lawii
サーバ: Odin
user: Lawiii
By Odin.Lawii 2020-08-20 12:39:07  
I tend to agree with Crowned.
From my testing if you need more Macc, I first swapped out staff and grip for Murgleis and Ammurapi Sheild which put me at Skill 580 / MND +282 For (-186 evasion). Daybreak here is perfectly valid for the +30 MND, my testing for numbers was conducted in capped dMND.

If more Macc was needed still I would then swap in the AF body for the Empy Body, which put the set at Skill 601 / MND +290 For (-177 evasion)

Finally I would Ullr for the Gem which would put the set at Skill 601 / MND +283 For (-165 evasion)

This is based off my initial Skill 600 / MND +308 set.

I am glad to see this type of discussion happening finally.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2020-08-20 12:44:56  
anything that won't resist distract, also shouldn't need the extra acc. While anything that can resist distract, you'll lose more in the time it takes to recast than just getting a cast w/ -2 acc off the first time around.
ItemSet 374997
enfeebling: 602
weapons depend on availability. i have neither so ... daybreak/ammurapi/maxentius
Sylph.Theodren said: »
Based on the formula on bg-wiki.
so, 3 acc lost for a far greater chance to land the spell + inv+1 thanks to one grio hitting the floor.
 Sylph.Theodren
サーバ: Sylph
user: theodren
By Sylph.Theodren 2020-08-20 14:21:10  
The difference is closer to 4 once Enfeeble Magic Effect+ comes into play, but it's a fair point. 4 acc is unlikely to make or break anyones game. If anything I'd be more concerned over losing Sayon+1 since that has a fairly significant impact.

I really enjoy being capped but I can see the other side. If I ever get so frustrated with my inventory that I can't take it anymore, I may consider nixing the grio. Swapping to a staff has its own annoyances anyway - blinking and losing TP.

By the way, I just updated my post you quoted there, as the skill tiers really should have been floored.
[+]
By Heck 2020-08-20 14:24:51  
Sweet, ty guy for the sets and info, I'll add a potency toggle in my lua too so I can include the empy body depending on resists rates
 Caitsith.Kalyna
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Kalyna
By Caitsith.Kalyna 2020-08-22 03:47:50  
Heck said: »
you wouldn't benefit from the MND (since we are assuming that your dMND is capped) and the gain would only be magic accuracy.

Stats also have an effect on magic accuracy, no?
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-08-22 08:27:32  
Not on a black magic spell.
 Caitsith.Kalyna
By Caitsith.Kalyna 2020-08-23 03:05:26  
Thought that was one of those things that was still unconfirmed for Frazzle/Distract since it's one of those weird rare spells that's black magic but uses mnd for potency instead of int.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2020-08-23 03:14:37  
Asura.Crowned said: »
Afaik, magic acc skill is a 1:1 ratio with macc. If your goal with the ambu staff is just macc, daybreak + ammurapi shield will easily be better than ambu staff + grip.

Daybreak + ammurapi = 242 macc skill, 78 macc total, 43 mnd.

Ambu staff + grip = 250 macc skill, 45 macc total, 20 mnd, 5 enfeebling skill.

The magic accuracy skill on weapons is actually roughly half a magic accuracy: https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/112776-Dev-Tracker-Findings-Posts-(NO-DISCUSSION)?p=6713767&viewfull=1#post6713767

Quote:
Furthermore, the property “Weapon Skill+” and “Magic Accuracy Skill+” translates out as follows.

Weapon Skill +242: Attack +195, Accuracy +195
Weapon Skill +269: Attack +216, Accuracy +216

Magic Accuracy Skill +228: Magic Accuracy +115
Magic Accuracy Skill +242: Magic Accuracy +122
Magic Accuracy Skill +255: Magic Accuracy +128
Magic Accuracy Skill +269: Magic Accuracy +135
[+]
 Caitsith.Kalyna
By Caitsith.Kalyna 2020-08-23 03:44:09  
But then you have people who actually did some testing and found out that magic accuracy skill is roughly 1:1 with magic accuracy.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/luteff11/archives/50782425.html

2/3 down the page.

Quote:
It's split into 3 sections, 384 elemental skill, 156 elemental skill + 228 magic acc, and 156 elemental skill + 228 magic acc skill. The columns are full damage, half resist, quarter resist, full resist, total respectively.
By sefalon 2020-08-23 05:07:58  
Is there any other notable High end NMs that can be soloed with the Enspell/odin method?

I can clear all zitah besides pixies and most 1 and 2 RU'AUN Zones.

I am wanting to do 135 behemoth unity and carousing celine as well.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-08-23 07:55:29  
Caitsith.Kalyna said: »
Thought that was one of those things that was still unconfirmed for Frazzle/Distract since it's one of those weird rare spells that's black magic but uses mnd for potency instead of int.
Why would the potency mod being MND cast any doubt on the MACC mod being INT? They're completely separate aspects.
 Caitsith.Kalyna
By Caitsith.Kalyna 2020-08-27 01:37:35  
Because if potency can be an exception (usually black magic uses int not mnd), it's entirely possible that accuracy could be an exception as well.

I'm not saying it is, just saying it's possible and unconfirmed.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2020-08-27 08:53:00  
Potency has never been a rule, because it's determined for each spell individually. Sometimes INT is potency, sometimes dark magic skill is potency, sometimes enfeebling skill is potency, sometimes MND is potency, and sometimes there's no potency at all. Even for those that do have INT > Potency, the relationship differs based on the spell. Potency and magic accuracy have always been independent, and as such, Frazzle and Distract aren't exceptions at all.

In comparison, INT giving MACC for black magic is a rule, and applies across the board to every such spell, not individually determined for each spell. It's not COMPLETELY impossible for Distract/Frazzle to have MND-based MACC, but Frazzle having MND as a potency mod isn't a reason to think it might, and it would be like having SE program one particular sword to use archery skill instead of sword skill.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-08-27 09:33:12  
I was about to say that while in general I agree with you, I couldn't remember any exception for Enfeebling Black Magic.
How wrong I was, and actually there are less enfeebling spells that I remembered lol.

In general it makes more sense to assume that MND affects potency only for Frazzle and Distract.
Still wonder why SE made this quite peculiar decision though.

If their reasoning was "to make it easier for players to gear up for these spells" then it would stand to reason they could make an exception for the macc check as well.
But if they wanted to do that, wouldn't it have been even easier to simply make them White Magic instead of Black?

So... yeah, I think Geriond is right but I'm still wondering why they *** they made MND & enf skill the potency stat insteasd of INT & enf skill.
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2020-08-27 10:45:40  
got 15 acc/att and 7 wsd on chironic feet, should be enough to make it bis for savage, etc? has such low str I was curious.

Got legs with 17 acc/att 27 macc 20 mab and 6 wsd.... also interesting... such low str too

By Argisto 2020-08-29 13:01:14  
For anyone wondering, I'm working on a new guide in between work/LS events/real life. Let me know if there's anything you would like to see included.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-08-29 16:18:13  
Asura.Sechs said: »
I was about to say that while in general I agree with you, I couldn't remember any exception for Enfeebling Black Magic.
How wrong I was, and actually there are less enfeebling spells that I remembered lol.

In general it makes more sense to assume that MND affects potency only for Frazzle and Distract.
Still wonder why SE made this quite peculiar decision though.

If their reasoning was "to make it easier for players to gear up for these spells" then it would stand to reason they could make an exception for the macc check as well.
But if they wanted to do that, wouldn't it have been even easier to simply make them White Magic instead of Black?

So... yeah, I think Geriond is right but I'm still wondering why they *** they made MND & enf skill the potency stat insteasd of INT & enf skill.

Distract and Frazzle use MND for accuracy along with Addle, this is just something SE did back when they introduced those spells. People like to read too much into things. Also player INT does not effect potency on Blind.

BG Dev Posts

Blind use's players MND vs enemies INT

Quote:
Blind (Amount physical accuracy is decreased)
Lowest value at -40 player MND compared to enemy INT: 5
Highest value at +60 player MND compared to enemy INT: 30

Blind II (Amount physical accuracy is decreased)
Lowest value at -40 player MND compared to enemy INT: 15
Highest value at +60 player MND compared to enemy INT: 40

For the most part MND is the super stat for enfeebling with a few of the old spells still using INT since SE never updated them.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2020-08-29 16:36:40  
That post in no way says that Distract/Frazzle uses MND for magic accuracy, and black magic of all kinds has very consistently used INT for magic accuracy.

Also, that post is wrong in the case of Blind's mod AND its maximum unmodified potency; Blind uses player's INT vs mob's INT. I even just double checked it now to make sure SE didn't ninja change it since the last time it was thoroughly checked.

Target: Vetehinen
101 MND, 107 INT
Blind reduced accuracy by 30.

156 MND, 107 INT
Blind reduced accuracy by 30.

101 MND, 162 INT
Blind reduced accuracy by 44.

101 MND, 107 INT, Burn applied to NM
Blind reduced accuracy by 33.
First Page 2 3 ... 116 117 118 ... 141 142 143