PLD lvl 1
kthnxbi
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-10-28 15:05:19  
Because you have to level a job to understand how to play it in this incredibly complex game.

Your Paladin is only 60, which is when most Paladins are falling prey to wearing full AF and Knightly Mantles... and most 75 Paladins suck! Level means precious little besides experience points earned.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-28 15:07:59  
Alexander.Zayo said:
@Argettio
PLD lvl 1
kthnxbi

lol@ad hominem

750 damage in an Enmity +40 set against a level 85 HNM is 1090 CE and 3272 VE, for a total of 4362 TE. I defy you to find me any other tool PLD has at its disposal that generates that much enmity, even with Sentinel active (caps you at +100 Enmity)

Hint: There isn't one.
[+]
 Alexander.Zayo
サーバ: Alexander
user: Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-10-28 15:10:52  
please flame on, lol
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-10-28 15:11:44  
INVINCIBLE

though not really practical and almost purely VE so meh
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-10-28 15:12:25  
*slaps Zayo with newspaper* No flaming.
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
サーバ: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-10-28 15:12:50  
Alexander.Zayo said:
@Argettio
PLD lvl 1
kthnxbi

Interesting world you live in where some one can't understand a job they haven't played

I don't have a 75 sam, i still know about sTP and STR WS builds
I don't have an apoc DRK but i still know what makes a good aftermath build.

Just because you have or haven't played a job has no bearing on your knowledge of it.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-28 15:12:53  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
INVINCIBLE

though not really practical and almost purely VE so meh

Dammit >_> 7000 VE, totally forgot. You're right though, not exactly practical.

Zayo: So are you done trolling then? Out you go, kthxbai
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-10-28 15:15:41  
Srsly, no messing with that British cat :(
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
サーバ: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-10-28 15:18:11  
im amused that the op spurred such a comprehensive discussion on eg pld, specifically because of a topic he started a short while back.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=5529#264462

think you should all check the original posters background, consider where/how the original question was derived from, and save the debate for a more deserving thread. (its a good debate imo)
[+]
 Seraph.Looscannon
サーバ: Seraph
By Seraph.Looscannon 2009-10-28 15:20:03  
Unicorn.Excesspain said:
Alexander.Zayo said:
PLD is not DD, stop trying to be one.
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-10-28 15:22:18  
Caitsith.Blurr said:
im amused that the op spurred such a comprehensive discussion on eg pld, specifically because of a topic he started a short while back.

At the OP, yes its pretty god for its level.
* Solid amount of defence (if you care about these things)
* Improves your damage
* and basically there is little else worth wearing (inb4 Knightly Mantle lol)

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Srsly, no messing with that British cat :(

Now to I just make my DRK as good as yours :D
[+]
 Alexander.Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-10-28 15:24:15  
@Nightfyre You dont even have a job high enough to wear an Amemet +1, let alone a PLD over 50, wtf you doin in here callin me a troll?

@Blurr lol funny you bring that up, I thought the OP's Q was a bit overly noobish, esp with the "I see a lot od PLDs with em"
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-10-28 15:27:41  
Kujata.Argettio said:

You're real cat, I'm fake cat :( auto-loss to me! Good choice on DRK though, wonderful job!

Nightfyre has BLU75 which can wear Amemet +1 though I believe he has a Forager's... though I'm pretty sure you're trolling at this stage.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-28 15:29:27  
Alexander.Zayo said:
@Nightfyre You dont even have a job high enough to wear an Amemet 1, let alone a PLD over 50, wtf you doin in here callin me a troll?

Oh hey, somebody finally noticed my job levels. CAT'S OUT OF THE BAG LOL.

I had access to a friend's account with BLM BLU DRK 75 for quite some time before I created my own account. Never played it in HNM situations given that he didn't do endgame and I obviously wasn't going to play his account in anything remotely approaching a serious situation, but I spent a lot of time exploring game mechanics.

Sorry to pull a fast one on the more logical readers here, but some people think job levels correlate to knowledge of game mechanics and I didn't feel like explaining myself every other day.

Also, I can do math. Atonement is PLD's best way to generate CE, which they otherwise lack. Also, logic. DDing generates enmity, what else is a PLD going to do while idle? Might as well generate more TE. Create a logical argument or hush, you're not contributing anything but misinformation to this thread.
[+]
 Alexander.Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-10-28 15:33:17  
So, you're saying that he should wear the Amemet +1 at 75 as a PLD? Cause thats what it sounds like you're saying.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-10-28 15:36:47  
Where has anyone implied that?

Quote:
just to make sure... Amemet +1 is a good back piece for Pld right? i see a lot of plds with em

Original OP post; note no level range given.

Quote:
At first I was going to tell you that its ok to use one in exp parties as you level,

Which is the point most of us are making, that it is fine to use it while levelling but it is obsolete at 75.

Quote:
Amemet+1 is very nice during the levelling period for PLD

My first post, clearly stating that it was only good before the others are available.

The other posts are more about the general idea of PLD DD vs PLD turtle.

Nowhere did I or anyone else argue that Amemet Mantle +1 is awesome at 75.
[+]
 Alexander.Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-10-28 15:45:34  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Create a logical argument or hush, you're not contributing anything but misinformation to this thread.

Is what I was referring to. I admit sometimes it is hard to read between the lines, so let me help you.

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Zayo, all you have said is that the Amemet +1 is bad for lvl 75 PLD, stop lying to people in this thread Q.Q

Better?

p.s. why do you keep posting for Nightfyre? Cross server bromance?

lol ok ok, I'm done before I get another swat from that news paper.
[+]
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-10-28 15:47:05  
I wont deny the effectiveness of an accuracy set in certain situations. As many of you have said, it's the same as making any melee job more effective.

However, having tanked the vast majority of HNMs and endgame mobs on numerous occasions, I've found very few times where a TP build set was absolutely necessary. A couple pieces of Homam (which you'll probably have anyway if you're doing this kind of stuff) is usually sufficient in terms of accuracy and TP gain. Career PLD's usually have 8/8 Sword merits as well, which definitely helps. *No, you wont build TP as fast as you would with a properly built set, but the tradeoff in defensive measures is normally not worth it, from my experience* The idea behind this is that it simply isn't your job to deal damage... that's why you do HNM fights and endgame content with alliances... that's why there are SAMs and DRKs and DRGs and RNGs and BLMs and SMNs and a bunch of other jobs that deal damage better and faster than PLD in every situation. It's more about solid teamwork than anything else.

I havent been in an exp or merit party on PLD in maybe three years. I wouldnt doubt that bringing out TP gear for these instances would prove itself overly beneficial when compared to a defensive setup, simply due to the fact that these mobs aren't overly powerful themselves. You dont need a lot of defensive measures in this situation.

I'd probably think this entire debate would be situational based on your party setup, and the task at hand. Certain groups might find that Atonement spam is overly critical to thier success, whereas other groups may not require the same strategy.
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-10-28 15:49:51  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Kujata.Argettio said:

You're real cat, I'm fake cat :( auto-loss to me! Good choice on DRK though, wonderful job!

Easy and lazy choice; I had abyssal earring, perdu sickle and various other pieces from my travels as RDM and BLM.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-10-28 15:53:08  
Quote:
p.s. why do you keep posting for Nightfyre? Cross server bromance?

Nah, Mithra or => :(

Quote:
but the tradeoff in defensive measures is normally not worth it, from my experience

What tradeoffs? You can still macro in all of your defensive sets.

Quote:
he idea behind this is that it simply isn't your job to deal damage... that's why you do HNM fights and endgame content with alliances... that's why there are SAMs and DRKs and DRGs and RNGs and BLMs and SMNs and a bunch of other jobs that deal damage better and faster than PLD in every situation.

Supposing you're lowman, which is often the case with HNMs like Faf/Nid? Even outside of that, it may not be your job to deal damage, but you sure as hell can deal good damage (especially since you're going to be on the mob 100% of the time, unlike melees which may be asked to Meditate and WS onry etc).

It's not a COR's job to deal damage, but COR parses on mobs like Tiamat have been very impressive. Expanding your job's role beyond its "box" is a good thing; progressive thinking!

Sure, it's rarely -necessary- to Atonement build anything... but it's also rarely necessary to have anything in this game honestly. It's so easy that complete idiots can beat most of the content (anyone who's camped HNM vs a stereotypical "NASA shell" (ie incredibly badly skilled) can attest to this). Pushing ourselves forward may not be strictly necessary in most situations, but it does make you a better Paladin.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-28 15:53:22  
Alexander.Zayo said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Zayo, all you have said is that the Amemet 1 is bad for lvl 75 PLD, stop lying to people in this thread Q.Q

Better?

I never said that and noted that there are better options at 75. Thanks for playing though!

Quote:
p.s. why do you keep posting for Nightfyre? Cross server bromance

Uh, what? lol

Surely we're allowed to respond independently? Seriously, less misdirection and more logic or getting out of the thread, either works. The only points you've made have been either wrong or irrelevant.
[+]
 Alexander.Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-10-28 16:05:08  
@Nightfyre
You obviously don't read so well. People that do read well, will see what I'm talking about. They will also see your "more logic or getting out of thread" to mean you don't write so well either.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-10-28 16:06:54  
Will someone just list the best backpiece for PLD :/

I'd rather ppl agree on a list than back and forth arguing of the same pieces.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-10-28 16:11:42  
Levelling: Breath Mantle => High Breath Mantle => Amemet +1 (95% of the time).

Endgame:

Enmity: Cerb +1 > Toreador's > Valor etc
Atonement TPing: Cuchulain's > Cerberus +1 > Cerberus etc.
Physical Damage Mitigation: Shadow Mantle > Boxer's Mantle > Valor Cape
Magical Damage Mitigation: Resentment Cape > Lamia Mantle +1 (unless -MDT is capped, then Lamia Mantle +1 > all)
HP: Gigant Mantle

Err, anything else a Paladin might need? I might have forgotten a couple there, and I'm ignoring augmented options.
[+]
 Bahamut.Rumaha
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-10-28 16:11:46  
Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Will someone just list the best backpiece for PLD :/

I'd rather ppl agree on a list than back and forth arguing of the same pieces.

No such thing, PLD switches gear far to much.

If you want, http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=15481 Has a lot from a lot of pieces making it well rounded, but everything for PLD is so situational there is no overall best.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Cipher
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Cipher
By Pandemonium.Cipher 2009-10-28 16:12:12  
As an Enmity piece Cerberus mantle is a very good piece also gives +STR which in turn allows to do more damage which allows for you to hold hate. Best back piece over all is going to be Boxers for + shield. And as Veg said Cuchulain's Mantle is going the be the best acc piece for PLD. Its all situational pieces. I do not have access to Boxer or Cuchulain's yet but i full time Cerberus.
[+]
 Asura.Zekky
サーバ: Asura
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-10-28 16:22:52  
Just thought I'd throw in my two cents since I'm PLD and all...

But srsly. No PLD should be in a meripo. If a PLD wants to be in a meripo and be a DD, then lvl an actual DD job and stop wasting people's time. While this is 2009 and there is a lot of gear and PLDs do have Atonement, a bird/mamool/puk nowadays dies roughly anywhere between 15-45 seconds pending on WS usage and if it is spamming Feather Tickle. And within that time frame, a PLD will not in any means accumulate enough +enmity to do an awesome Atonement. Vorpal Blade with DD gear setup is going to be a hell of a lot more useful. So PLD/NIN is going to be a BLU/NIN. Yaaaay. So yeah. No more referring to atonement anymore in meripos or DD PLD. Yeah. If the fight is long and the PLD is going to be able to get enough enmity to do those awesome 500-750 atonements, by all means. Get on in the action. I find Amemet+1 is cool for PLDs if you don't feel like throwing down millions of gil for Cerberus Mantle or don't have sea and want to get a defensive cape like Boxer's Mantle.

/rantend
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-28 16:26:48  
Alexander.Zayo said:
@Nightfyre
You obviously don't read so well. People that do read well, will see what I'm talking about. They will also see your "more logic or getting out of thread" to mean you don't write so well either.

Strawman arguments and personal attacks do not a valid argument make. I built and presented a case. You've presented nothing to support your position except "PLD is not a DD", which is not what we're arguing and should not be construed as such.

Zekky: We're not saying PLD is a DD, we're saying PLD can and should DD for hate (ie not talking about meripo situations). There's a difference.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-10-28 16:29:54  
Why do people keep thinking we mean merits? :( I haven't once mentioned merits.

Paladin's niche is endgame, not merits... and, well, everyone has to go through exp.
[+]