users online
フォーラム » Windower » Support » Possible Blackscreen fix when using Config plugin
Possible Blackscreen fix when using Config plugin
 Shiva.Thorny
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-10-25 07:59:14  
If you're having trouble with the patcher or don't trust it, you can also use this guide(though you need visual studio and editbin), just replace python with pol:
https://gisgeek.blogspot.com/2012/01/set-32bit-executable-largeaddressaware.html

Other things to check:
-Make sure POL and FFXI aren't running, you can't edit the file while it's in use.
-Make sure you run as admin(pol.exe is likely in program files and newer windows are super picky about anything in there).
-Not sure what in there would trigger virus detection, windows defender didn't give me any trouble, but if your virus software doesn't like it then whitelist it.

If a ffxi update replaces pol.exe or an ashita/windower/server update replaces your bootloader, you'll have to patch it again.
[+]
By Tathamet 2021-11-15 17:33:11  
Chiming in to say no black screens since I started using the patcher last month. Everyone get in here!
[+]
 Asura.Sagaxi
サーバ: Asura
user: xXSagaXx
By Asura.Sagaxi 2021-11-15 18:31:08  
That was missing in my life, thanks Thorny!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [54 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Tilaa
user: Mazata
By Asura.Tilaa 2022-01-08 08:18:41  
with the patcher does it cap to 4gb instead of 2gb and can it increase further than 4gb?
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-01-08 08:24:24  
The patcher changes the cap to 4GB, and no you cannot increase it any further. 32 bit software uses 4 bytes for memory addressing.
Because a signed value can be negative or positive, signed 4 byte values represent a range from -2147483648 to 2147483647. Thus, by default, a 32 bit application will limit the application to 2GB so that all values can be represented by a 4 byte signed value.

The /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag is basically a way of saying 'this application does not use signed values to store pointers'. A 4 byte unsigned value does not need to represent negatives, so it can represent values from 0 to 4294967295. As a result, when you set the flag, a 32 bit application is allowed to address 4GB.

Maybe this is unnecessary background, but the tldr; is that you cannot increase it further than 4GB in any way without having it built for an entirely different architecture.
By RadialArcana 2022-01-08 12:48:07  
Has anyone noticed this fixing random crashes that happen in certain areas with glow effects and some mods? Such as zoning into heavens tower sometimes for example with certain mods.
 Fairy.Trig
サーバ: Fairy
user: Trig
By Fairy.Trig 2022-01-21 09:07:12  
Possibly an overstatment - but please take my body Thorny!

Thanks for the fix. This problem had persisted for me even with no dat mods and I had only narrowed it down to a native windower mod. So far so good with the fix in place.
 Bahamut.Sirtaru
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Sirtaru 2022-01-21 13:22:00  
Another +1 for Thorny's fix.

I had the zones fail to load in every few hours per character (triple-boxing on 1 pc, restarting POL would temporarily fix it for another few hours). Used the patcher a little over a week ago and have not had a single instance of zones failing to load even after leaving characters logged in for days. This is also with the HD zone dats. At least for me, it's been completely resolved with this.

You are a hero!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [72 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-04-03 11:55:35  
This is kinda late but question, do we need to rerun the LAA patcher after every update? I'm assuming that if pol.exe gets replaced it'll need to be repatched again.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-04-03 14:22:33  
Asura.Saevel said: »
This is kinda late but question, do we need to rerun the LAA patcher after every update? I'm assuming that if pol.exe gets replaced it'll need to be repatched again.

correct, you will need to run it anytime pol.exe gets replaced (not positive if that is every update or not, i don't pay that much attention)
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [276 days between previous and next post]
By Rinuko 2023-01-04 17:46:10  
Is this doing same thing as using NTCore patch?

https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-01-04 17:50:37  
Rinuko said: »
Is this doing same thing as using NTCore patch?

https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Yes, it's just setting a flag in the executable header called LargeAddressAware (LAA).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/reference/largeaddressaware-handle-large-addresses?view=msvc-170

https://codekabinett.com/rdumps.php?Lang=2&targetDoc=largeaddressaware-msaccess-exe