First Page 2 3 ... 126 127 128 ... 154 155 156
 Valefor.Yandaime
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2023-07-15 16:55:01  
Siren.Kruel said: »
Killing it from behind doesn't matter.

Maintaining enmity from the front whilst dealing at least 50% of the Botulus HP from behind works every time for me.

The only time I didn't get the KI was like 100 kills ago, when he charmed me early in the fight and I lost my trust tank, so I couldn't keep enmity in front whilst damaging from behind.

He's also charmed me and made me lose my trust tank later in the fight, but after i've dealt at least 50% HP in dmg, KI still dropped with a WS from the front.

Ahaaaaa thanks for that information. I'm a returning player and haven't gotten a group yet so I'm learning everything the slow way lol.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-07-15 17:27:29  
Valefor.Yandaime said: »
I have a question about Esurian Botulus (the E metal sub-boss)
According to BG Wiki we must kill it with a WS from behind while all party members are on its hate list and while all party members are also within 10’ of it.

I did all that, no box. Reset with the device, no box again.
I have now done this 4 times in a row and still got no box.

Am I doing something wrong? It’s really hard to solo farm Dhartok without that metal lol. Is it bugged or is the information still kinda spotty on it?

According to BG Wiki we must kill it with a WS from behind while all party members are on its hate list and while all party members are also within 10’ of it.

Am I doing something wrong? It’s really hard to solo farm Dhartok without that metal lol. Is it bugged or is the information still kinda spotty on it?

From experience of someone who went from never getting any of those chest to not losing any of them, i can say with some confidence that:

- You dont need to have all party member in hate list nor at 10' of it. I get my metal with only 3 active char, while three mules are just chilling in a safe place.

- Im not sure if the finishing blow is the one who counts, but indeed, its the WSs dmg from behind. I already got charmed and still got the metal.

- Suposition: dont do skillchains. Do only WS from behind while tank hold it.

What I do: RUN holding it, COR leaden salute-ing non-stop. Haste and malaise to speed up. No skillchain at all.
 Siren.Kruel
サーバ: Siren
user: Kruel666
By Siren.Kruel 2023-07-15 18:16:24  
Skillchains work fine, I do them every kill from behind, get metal every time.

Just gotta be careful not to pull hate from skillchains is all.

I have a SCH with me, so I just caper emissarius all that skillchain enmity onto the trust tank.
By zixxer 2023-07-15 18:21:40  
Killing it from behind doesn't matter.

Maintaining enmity from the front whilst dealing at least 50% of the Botulus HP from behind works every time for me.

The only time I didn't get the KI was like 100 kills ago, when he charmed me early in the fight and I lost my trust tank, so I couldn't keep enmity in front whilst damaging from behind.

He's also charmed me and made me lose my trust tank later in the fight, but after i've dealt at least 50% HP in dmg, KI still dropped with a WS kill from the front.

I can comment that a party member killed facing head on and still got the metal.
 Fenrir.Jinxs
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-07-15 18:31:50  
Was able to get B sheet in party but being the sole player to walk to the blitzer.
 Bahamut.Wizardstick
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Sieve
By Bahamut.Wizardstick 2023-07-15 19:59:25  
Pantafernando said: »
- Suposition: dont do skillchains. Do only WS from behind while tank hold it.

Our cor ws and creates 99k skillchains left and right and we always get the box. We are free to magic bursts a few of the skillchains but it seems that when a proportion of the dmg is too much magic, we will lose the chest. We also make sure those ws's are from behind as well.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-07-15 20:26:41  
Whenever I do SCs the chest does not drop. All from behind.

Whenever I avoid SCs and do most WS dmg from behind, chest drops.

/shrug

There are indeed conflicting reports and unknowns on that chest.
 Siren.Kruel
By Siren.Kruel 2023-07-15 21:02:11  
Are you using a tank to hold enmity from the front the entire time?

Or are you positioning more than one player either side and weaponskilling from behind when he turns?

Holding enmity for the duration seems to play a part.

Have a possible theory that along with doing at least 50% of his HP in damage from behind, you also have to have frontal enmity for 50% of his hp.

My test pool is pretty large, and works every time.
By Dodik 2023-07-15 21:15:10  
Tank holds hate, everyone else behind. I high jump/super jump every so often to take off enmity. I have also had tank lose hate often, it would turn around a lot, super jump at 10% and still got metal.

I read it's supposed to be >50% dmg from behind not including SCs. You can do SC dmg as long as it's not over 50% of dmg done from behind.
 Siren.Kruel
By Siren.Kruel 2023-07-15 21:16:56  
I do combinations of savage blade on my cor and Knight's of round on my rdm for double light skillchains everytime on him from behind, so most of my dmg is always skillchain dmg, never fail to get the drop.
By Pantafernando 2023-07-16 02:41:02  
Well, I mentioned what work 100% of time, now gonna mention what DONT work 100% of time:

Back then, i was doing burst strategy on botulus, and never got a chest. SCH + BLM

Thus my supposition to avoid when possible skillchain and/or nuke.

One thing i can say 100%: neither (skillchain or nukes) are related to objective.
By Pantafernando 2023-07-16 02:47:57  
Dodik said: »
Tank holds hate, everyone else behind. I high jump/super jump every so often to take off enmity. I have also had tank lose hate often, it would turn around a lot, super jump at 10% and still got metal.

I read it's supposed to be >50% dmg from behind not including SCs. You can do SC dmg as long as it's not over 50% of dmg done from behind.

Maybe its something as simple as simply doing the finishing blow with WS from behind.

That hypothesis would fit in all my cirscunstation (work dont work), while agreeing in some degree with "can do skillchain and/or burst".
 Asura.Saevel
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2023-07-16 05:46:57  
Well, I mentioned what work 100% of time, now gonna mention what DONT work 100% of time:

Back then, i was doing burst strategy on botulus, and never got a chest. SCH + BLM

Thus my supposition to avoid when possible skillchain and/or nuke.

One thing i can say 100%: neither (skillchain or nukes) are related to objective.

We've always gotten it with a burst, but never by killing with a burst or having a ton of bursts. It's normally Leaden -> True Flight+ Thunder VI, then the COR or RNG finish's it off.
By Dodik 2023-07-16 06:29:56  
Have also let auto-attacks kill it so can save TP for boss, still got chest.

It is for sure not killing shot alone.

The reports on more SC dmg than WS dmg confuses me as that has not been my experience.
 Phoenix.Iocus
サーバ: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-07-16 06:39:21  
We do 3 people on the back and trust tank on the front. Sanguine and Leaden spam with maybe a shattersoul. We get it every time.

We had issues when we would make SC with Immanence or Seraph and pull hate with Leaden. Idk if it's the hate or the SC damage, but it's not magical damage because we do 80%+ magical WS damage
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-07-16 06:58:50  
Phoenix.Iocus said: »
We do 3 people on the back and trust tank on the front. Sanguine and Leaden spam with maybe a shattersoul. We get it every time.

We had issues when we would make SC with Immanence or Seraph and pull hate with Leaden. Idk if it's the hate or the SC damage, but it's not magical damage because we do 80%+ magical WS damage

I think the game differentiates between WS and spell damage, whenever we have done a ton of spell damage the coffer has failed to appear.
[+]
 Siren.Kruel
By Siren.Kruel 2023-07-16 09:00:20  
Maybe its something as simple as simply doing the finishing blow with WS from behind.

That hypothesis would fit in all my cirscunstation (work dont work), while agreeing in some degree with "can do skillchain and/or burst".
As myself and others have confirmed, we've gotten the finishing blow from the front and still gotten the chest before.

In my case, only when I've dealt at least 50% of the Botulus HP from behind first whilst maintaining enmity from the front with my trust tank.

From the variation of peoples experiences, it very well could be enmity based, or at least partially.
 Asura.Cthaeh
By Asura.Cthaeh 2023-07-16 14:06:37  
We thought it was WS damage from behind as well. At this point, It seems to be something like 1 person has to be at the top of the hate list for 10ish Seconds and they can't do the killing blow.

Also, unrelated but here is some basement boss info, we confirmed last night that Dhartok puts up his fart bubbles when using TP movies while the target is poisoned. If you remove poison instantly you can avoid all fart bubbles.

I suspect Gartell has something similar. His fetters go up with his first attack round after using a WS. If you are at a distance, he will wait until he's close enough to attack to put up a fetter. This also changes depending on his mode as his attack range is different.) He always changes hands following Und. Shock (on thunder) and Shrieking Gale (wind). I suspect it's something such as Gartell uses Chokehold (Applies 3 debuffs). if you still have these on during next WS he is charged and next melee swing will drop a fetter.

On thunder, Zap seems to be a precursor for this.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-07-16 15:29:26  
Asura.Cthaeh said: »
It seems to be something like 1 person has to be at the top of the hate list for 10ish Seconds and they can't do the killing blow.

Nevermind, misread.
 Asura.Disclai
user: Disclai
By Asura.Disclai 2023-07-16 16:01:53  
Asura.Cthaeh said: »
It seems to be something like 1 person has to be at the top of the hate list for 10ish Seconds and they can't do the killing blow.

If that were all it is, mage comps wouldn't have any difficulty getting it with magic damage though.
 Shiva.Flowen
サーバ: Shiva
user: Flowen255
By Shiva.Flowen 2023-07-16 16:07:39  

Finishing blow does not matter. Hate list does not matter. It is most of the damage from behind it and keep in mind that SC damage does not count as damage from behind it, so if you arent careful you can do too much damage from SC alone to get it.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-07-16 16:20:20  
Shiva.Flowen said: »
Finishing blow does not matter. Hate list does not matter. It is most of the damage from behind it and keep in mind that SC damage does not count as damage from behind it, so if you arent careful you can do too much damage from SC alone to get it.

This has been my experience as well. Another person here saying they do mostly SC dmg and get chest. Never seen that myself.
 Siren.Kruel
By Siren.Kruel 2023-07-16 16:22:12  
Yes, it was me.

I get the KI drop every time with double light skillchain spamming cor+rdm, savage blade and knight's of round.
 Shiva.Flowen
By Shiva.Flowen 2023-07-16 16:25:22  
Dodik said: »

This has been my experience as well. Another person here saying they do mostly SC dmg and get chest. Never seen that myself.

Yeah.. I get this chest without fail every day with this approach. Sam has dealt finishing blow from front and still got it, players not on hate list and still got it etc. I usually do a SC or two to speed up the kill but anymore and it doesnt drop. I suppose it could be that if the mob doesnt turn even for a split second the SC damage still counts as from the back, so it might work for groups with a tank that can hold enough hate.
 Shiva.Flowen
By Shiva.Flowen 2023-07-16 16:27:56  
I get the KI drop every time with double light skillchain spamming cor+rdm, savage blade and knight's of round.

I wouldnt be suprised if the sum of your WS are still adding up enough doing that. Mordant rime > 1k leaden salute spam for example is very SC damage heavy.
 Siren.Kruel
By Siren.Kruel 2023-07-16 16:28:26  
Yeah, hate control is important.

I open with KoTR // Savage // Light // KoTR // Light

Usually pulls hate, SCH uses Caper Emmisarius onto trust tank.

Continue spamming double lights, tank never loses hate again before it's dead.
 Siren.Kruel
By Siren.Kruel 2023-07-16 16:30:09  
I wouldnt be suprised if the sum of your WS are still adding up enough doing that. Mordant rime > 1k leaden salute spam for example is very SC damage heavy.
I doubt it, KoTR is a pretty weak WS, it's abused mostly for SC dmg from Lights.

But you could still be right, I'll have to check the log next time and add it all up and see.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-07-16 18:12:01  
2 KoR should still be doing more dmg than 1 resultant light, especially on a job like RDM which has so little SC dmg+.

(unrelated but KoR isn't really a weak ws; what people often fail to consider is that while it does less dmg than savage it also requires less than half as much tp to reach its full potential which is great when you can't use a tp bonus offhand)
[+]
By SimonSes 2023-07-16 18:30:46  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
2 KoR should still be doing more dmg than 1 resultant light, especially on a job like RDM which has so little SC dmg+.

(unrelated but KoR isn't really a weak ws; what people often fail to consider is that while it does less dmg than savage it also requires less than half as much tp to reach its full potential which is great when you can't use a tp bonus offhand)

You can use TP bonus offhand on almost anything with RDM though and that small SC damage is kinda controversial. You should be subbing DNC and use 4/5 nyame for KoR, so around 35% skillchain bonus.
[+]
 Siren.Kruel
By Siren.Kruel 2023-07-16 19:07:22  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »

Yeah my bad, I meant it's weak for my rdm, as SimonSes said, rdm can utilise 1k tp bonus offhand really easily with the gigantic amount of acc it gets.

Even Empyreal Arrow outdoes it when you have the 1k tp bonus offhand, but the double light for that finishes with CdC, which I don't like the inconsistent dmg from it, but is my go to in my 5 step.

(Also means you can seriously pump up your savage blades with naegling being able to drop excalibur too, although in this case, the cor is using savage blade so less applicable).
First Page 2 3 ... 126 127 128 ... 154 155 156