<3hawt
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-11 12:20:37  
Lakshmi.Aaroca said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Thyroids are also easily removable partially or fully...
Yes but doctors aren't going to remove a thyroid just for a gland issue, thyroid surgery is extremely risky and is only reccomended if you have thyroid cancer.

True but think about it they can treat people with no thyroid at all. So really helping someone who just has a thyroid that doesn't produce enough hormones is easy peasy.

I have a friend has the opposite problem. Something crazy rare where his body needs 20k calories a day or it starts consuming itself pretty much. Super high metabolism in pretty much everyway. You think he just QQs and says sorry I'm 80lbs and going to the hospital cause my body sucks? No he spends a fortune in food and eats 20k cals a day
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-11-11 12:21:42  
Asura.Ludoggy said:

He generally looks scared, like he is trying to defend himself.
 Lakshmi.Aaroca
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Damii
By Lakshmi.Aaroca 2009-11-11 12:21:59  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Lakshmi.Aaroca said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Thyroids are also easily removable partially or fully...
Yes but doctors aren't going to remove a thyroid just for a gland issue, thyroid surgery is extremely risky and is only reccomended if you have thyroid cancer.
True but think about it they can treat people with no thyroid at all. So really helping someone who just has a thyroid that doesn't produce enough hormones is easy peasy.

Yeah like I said, I'm no expert about it. But gods knows I would be scared shitless with someone over my neck with a sharp object. XD
 Gilgamesh.Aaralynn
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Aaralyn
By Gilgamesh.Aaralynn 2009-11-11 12:27:34  
I struggle between being a healthy weight and being over weight because of my thyroid. Yes, I do know where the thyroid is. Some days I work really hard at maintaining a healthy weight. But honestly it's exhausting. I have to work at it 10x harder than some people. It can get highly discouraging. But I do still try.

I do agree that something needs to be done for certain people. But making it illegal to be over a certain weight is just silly. Unless the punishment is to attend a gym every day, one way or another. But if you mean being arrested or, well, anything else other than having to go to a gym, I think you're full of BS.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-11 12:36:04  
Gilgamesh.Aaralynn said:
I struggle between being a healthy weight and being over weight because of my thyroid. Yes, I do know where the thyroid is. Some days I work really hard at maintaining a healthy weight. But honestly it's exhausting. I have to work at it 10x harder than some people. It can get highly discouraging. But I do still try. I do agree that something needs to be done for certain people. But making it illegal to be over a certain weight is just silly. Unless the punishment is to attend a gym every day, one way or another. But if you mean being arrested or, well, anything else other than having to go to a gym, I think you're full of BS.

Read the OP it's not really illegal you wont get arrested. But yes there is punishment. Like companies will have to pay higher for health coverage people will have to undergo counseling on it. Over here there is legistlation for reduced health care cost for those who are healthier and therefore less likely to dip into it as much
 Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-11-11 13:05:51  
Gilgamesh.Aaralynn said:
I struggle between being a healthy weight and being over weight because of my thyroid. Yes, I do know where the thyroid is. Some days I work really hard at maintaining a healthy weight. But honestly it's exhausting. I have to work at it 10x harder than some people. It can get highly discouraging. But I do still try. I do agree that something needs to be done for certain people. But making it illegal to be over a certain weight is just silly. Unless the punishment is to attend a gym every day, one way or another. But if you mean being arrested or, well, anything else other than having to go to a gym, I think you're full of BS.

Make it illegal unless you have a medical certificate.

Problem solved.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-11 13:08:20  
Gilgamesh.Aaralynn said:
I struggle between being a healthy weight and being over weight because of my thyroid. Yes, I do know where the thyroid is. Some days I work really hard at maintaining a healthy weight. But honestly it's exhausting. I have to work at it 10x harder than some people. It can get highly discouraging. But I do still try.

I do agree that something needs to be done for certain people. But making it illegal to be over a certain weight is just silly. Unless the punishment is to attend a gym every day, one way or another. But if you mean being arrested or, well, anything else other than having to go to a gym, I think you're full of BS.

LOL FATTY PRISON.

Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-11-11 13:12:35  
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Gilgamesh.Aaralynn said:
LOL FATTY PRISON.

LMAO

Should chain the inmates to treadmills, then sit in a directors chair with a fishing rod in front of the treadmill and dangle cream cakes JUST out of reach of there mouths. AHAHAHAHaaaaa
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-11 13:15:13  
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Gilgamesh.Aaralynn said:
LOL FATTY PRISON.
LMAO Should chain the inmates to treadmills, then sit in a directors chair with a fishing rod in front of the treadmill and dangle cream cakes JUST out of reach of there mouths. AHAHAHAHaaaaa

Doubt that would work. Simple fines or higher health care or taxation would easily work. If nothing else they wont have as much money for food and they will end up paying for the higher health care cost they are causing so in the end not really a problem
 Asura.Korpg
サーバ: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-11 13:55:55  
I love how people see a fat person and automatically think they are unhealthy.

I'm fat, but my doctor states over and over again that he has never seen a big person like me without all these medicial problems that people automatically assume that I have (diabeties and heart problems to name a few).

Never assume that a fat person can't do the same things a "non-fat" person can do.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-11 13:59:17  
Asura.Korpg said:
I love how people see a fat person and automatically think they are unhealthy.

I'm fat, but my doctor states over and over again that he has never seen a big person like me without all these medicial problems that people automatically assume that I have (diabeties and heart problems to name a few).

Never assume that a fat person can't do the same things a "non-fat" person can do.

But seeing as your doctor is stating over and over again that he has never seen a big person like you without those medical problems obviously mean that it's an exception to the rule.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-11-11 14:05:54  
Korpg

netdoctor does not count.

and how old are you?
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-11-11 14:11:03  
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Asura.Korpg said:
I love how people see a fat person and automatically think they are unhealthy. I'm fat, but my doctor states over and over again that he has never seen a big person like me without all these medicial problems that people automatically assume that I have (diabeties and heart problems to name a few). Never assume that a fat person can't do the same things a "non-fat" person can do.
But seeing as your doctor is stating over and over again that he has never seen a big person like you without those medical problems obviously mean that it's an exception to the rule.

Korpg's also a college student, so therefore, quite young. I'm sure that it's very possible for a person to be both obese and technically healthy at that age. In 10 to 15 years though, I bet the assessment will be different. The human body isn't designed to bear the stresses of obesity and inactivity for long periods of time.

Interestingly enough, I've run across articles recently that claim that people can be overweight and healthy. By walking roughly 30 minutes a day 5 times per week, a person can reap most of the health benefits enjoyed by athletes. And college students at traditional brick-and-mortar colleges tend to do a fair amount of walking during their days. God knows I did when I was in college.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-11 14:17:18  
not having tons of medical problems is far from being considered healthy.
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-11-11 14:57:43  
Actually, a healthy person is, by definition, a person who is free of disease. Assuming that Korpg is telling the truth about his doctor's assessment, he is by definition considered healthy.

You seem to be confusing "health" with "health risk factors." Whereas a healthy person is a person who is free of disease, a health risk factor is something that increases a person's chance of developing a disease in the future. I believe you attempted to make the point that overweight people like Korpg are more likely than the average person to develop health problems over time, and if that actually was your point, then you'd be correct.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-11 15:06:14  
Depends on what consider a disease too. Since I beleive obesity is considered one... also if by healthy you mean free of disease sure that works. But I'm sure you can think of plently of people you wouldn't call healthy that are free of disease. For example someone who can't run more then 50 ft without gasping for air...
 Bahamut.Rumaha
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-11-11 15:12:04  
Instead of a waist requirement, they should do a BMI maximum, because that's what really says you're fat, not the measurement of your waist lol. Some peoples hip/waist w/e bones are actually more then that max allowed, but granted Japanese people are generally smaller then other people.

Basically, they're doing it wrong.

Edit**

Oh, Korpg is outliving us all.(And he dares you to do something about it)And yes I am just joking, I read the article.
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-11-11 15:22:24  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Depends on what consider a disease too. Since I beleive obesity is considered one... also if by healthy you mean free of disease sure that works. But I'm sure you can think of plently of people you wouldn't call healthy that are free of disease. For example someone who can't run more then 50 ft without gasping for air...

First, Obesity is not classified as a disease. Secondly, I'd ask you to re-read the simple definition of disease that I posted not long ago, as you must have missed it. Finally, what you describe in your final sentence is someone who's not in good physical shape. That's not a disease. That's a health risk factor that can, and probably will, have negative effects both physically and psychologically over the long term. This very point was the topic of the article I linked earlier.

Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-11 15:23:45  
I love you guys too >.>
 Carbuncle.Kyri
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Kyri
By Carbuncle.Kyri 2009-11-11 15:32:14  
<hugs korpg>
 Fairy.Tbest
サーバ: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-11-11 15:34:18  
Carbuncle.Kyri said:
<hugs korpg>
O.o
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-11 15:40:12  
I remember this dog named Lily that had a thyroid problem and I had to give her a pill everyday. Totally didn't work, she was as faaaaaat as the day is long.

lol. Anyway, yes, being fat isn't necessarily indicative of bad health, it's just a strong, overly typical indicator. I remember reading a study that tested methods of fat loss between diets, exercise of various types of intensity and length involved in the exercises and some of the more typical things people associate with "healthy activity" actually did very little to promote fat loss. In that I think a large problem is the attitude that you can consume whatever you like and exercise it off later which isn't necessarily true given the distinctions between carbs, fat and protein as energy sources for the body.

Edit: Oh right, the point of that was to show that the test subjects had actually become significantly healthier over the span of the study, yet many hadn't lost much weight if any and no, not a case of "muscle weighs more, broskie."
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-11-11 15:42:37  
Seraph.Caiyuo said:
I remember this dog named Lily that had a thyroid problem and I had to give her a pill everyday. Totally didn't work, she was as faaaaaat as the day is long.

Did you bring it back to the vet and say "pill aint working"?
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-11 15:47:56  
It was more of a joke on the "THYROID PRABLEM? PILL YOU GO" thing. That dog's probably still fat, though, mostly because her evil soul likely causes her to feed on children when the sun has set each night.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-11 15:54:54  
Asura.Eeek said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
First, Obesity is not classified as a disease. Secondly, I'd ask you to re-read the simple definition of disease that I posted not long ago, as you must have missed it. Finally, what you describe in your final sentence is someone who's not in good physical shape. That's not a disease. That's a health risk factor that can, and probably will, have negative effects both physically and psychologically over the long term. This very point was the topic of the article I linked earlier.
Actually I saw your definition.

Woot for simple definitions doesn't change the fact there are others. Too bad simple things are well simple and don't really cover things so well. So here I will throw one out. The World Health Organization (WHO) describes a widely accepted definition of health, which states that "health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity".

As far as being unphysically fit I will also refer to Who...
"•Each year at least 1.9 million people die as a result of physical inactivity"
 Caitsith.Blurr
サーバ: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-11 15:56:08  
Fairy.Tbest said:
It's pretty common knowledge that obese people require additional services and "special care" that healthy people do not. It's also true that being overweight can and often does lead to other health problems down the road, which other citizens often get to foot the bill for.

just as many "skinny" people can require "additional services and special care" as obese people. you make it sound like every single overweight person has special needs, which is hardly the case. of the 35% of americans being over weight, maybe .5 percent of that are people that fall into this category your trying to make.. even thats a generous estimation imo. if you wanna talk about people sucking other peoples tax dollars, talk about the prison/justice system -_-
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-11-11 15:56:22  
Seraph.Caiyuo said:
It was more of a joke on the "THYROID PRABLEM? PILL YOU GO" thing. That dog's probably still fat, though, mostly because her evil soul likely causes her to feed on children when the sun has set each night.

This comment plus "Totally didn't work, she was as faaaaaat as the day is long" made me lol...right as the boss was walking into my office. Ruh roh!
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-11-11 15:58:56  
The quote function just broke or something.

What Blurr said was what I was trying to get at when I said I was obese and functional.

Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-11 16:04:32  
lolol, If only I had a picture of her to go along with it. I love Lily and all, but her "lets play!" death flop is dangerous.