users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Twilight Intervention
Twilight Intervention
 Bahamut.Branwen
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Branwen
By Bahamut.Branwen 2009-11-30 13:27:24  
I really like the accents in True Blood. How close they are to the real thing I cannot say, but I find it helps me to get into the show.
Correct me if Im wrong here, but I think setting it further up north in america wouldnt have resulted in such an interesting show. The fact the south is deeply religious makes for a better dynamic. (nearly wrote dynamis....tragic)
[+]
 Garuda.Feifongwong
サーバ: Garuda
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2009-11-30 13:41:15  
Bahamut.Branwen said:
I really like the accents in True Blood. How close they are to the real thing I cannot say, but I find it helps me to get into the show.
Correct me if Im wrong here, but I think setting it further up north in america wouldnt have resulted in such an interesting show. The fact the south is deeply religious makes for a better dynamic. (nearly wrote dynamis....tragic)

No thanks we, don't want those sparkling vamps crossing the border into Canada... lol
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-30 19:35:10  
Oh man, the True Blood accents remind me of the video Halciform linked me awhile back of a collection of all Bill's pronunciations of "Sookie." The accents never really bothered me until they were pointed it; they are kind of terrible. I have to go hunt it down now. lol

Also, luckily for this thread the Movie in 15 Minutes for New Moon was just finished! Thank me later.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-11-30 19:37:56  
Twilight is gayer than the million gay parade through San Francisco.
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-30 19:38:50  
FOUND! http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=4489&page=2#189511

NOT HUMAN, I AM HICKPIRE. Pretty sure he sneaks in a "Socky" at some point in there.
[+]
By semimmortal 2009-11-30 20:41:09  
The solution:
[+]
 Bahamut.Branwen
user: Branwen
By Bahamut.Branwen 2009-12-04 15:11:53  
Sucky Sucky 5 dollar?
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-12-04 16:05:41  
Aw, I forgot about this thread. This little gem should revive it! Twilight heckling is a job that never ends, fortunately.

How Twilight Works

FTA:
Quote:
So after a few chapters of listening to Pants whine about high school, sucking at volleyball, and being the center of attention, the second major character is introduced. Imagine everything women want in a man, then exaggerate it by ten thousand - and you've got Edward Cullen. The level of detail that the author goes into while describing Edward's appearance is remarkable. At one point while reading I started counting the number of times the author used the expression "Edward's perfect face," and it was far into the double digits. The author excruciatingly details his muscular pecs, clothing, hair, eye color - even his goddamn breath (I'm not joking).

<3
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-12-04 17:19:23  
NEW MOON AS INTERPRETED BY LOLCATS

NO SERIOUSLY. You must. I know what you're thinking, "Cai, these aren't that funny, what the hell is wrong with you?" but really ..REALLY, this one is pretty great. Especially the wolf through a shirt scene.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-12-04 17:25:56  
That pretty much sums up the movies right there.
 Siren.Jingles
サーバ: Siren
user: Jingles
By Siren.Jingles 2009-12-04 17:43:29  
The most comprehensive explanation as to why Twilight is a bad series, in any way it can possibly be bad.

Twilightsucksk?
[+]
 Asura.Hit
サーバ: Asura
user: FFXIHit
By Asura.Hit 2009-12-04 17:46:33  
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Ok, /rant on. Here are the reasons why I despise Twilight and all these Twitards:

1) Literary works of garbage, as I said. Nothing in the books were thought provoking. Every single "plot twist" can be easily predicted if you haven't been living under a rock. Everything was dumbed down to the lowest form of intellect. There wasn't a single word in that entire series that made it sound remotely intelligent. It just wasn't.

2) The movies, both Twilight and New Moon, are theatrical disasters. The acting was piss poor. The actions scenes weren't even filled with action. The love scenes were incredibly drab. There was no chemistry between the characters, at all. And Kristen Stewart looks like she's having an orgasm everytime she's supposed to be invoking pain. It's such a sad thing to watch.

3) The Twilight series completely and utterly destroyed the genre of vampires. Vampires don't sparkle. Vampires don't come out in the daylight...at all. I don't care if it's a cloudy day. They sleep during the day. Stephanie Meyer managed to destroy a genre in one fell swoop with this cutesy, pre tween ***.

4) Twilight fans are possibly the most obnoxious, self centered, maniacal retards on the face of the planet. Take this Twitard for example, in a video entitled "*** you Stephen King!"

If you don't feel like listening to this drivel, cliff notes version is that she's pissed because Stephen King called Stephanie Meyer a shitty writer, then turns around and says his books never generated enough attention like Twilight has. HAHAHAHHAA! Yea right....

In reference to the girl in the video.. His short stories and general ideas have sparked films and comics and have influenced art in all genres. Twilight is the Hanson of literature. 'nuff said.

Ninja Edit: Stone's Intervention was genius. As the older brother to a 14 year old sister whose entire personality has changed because she was foolish enough to allow herself to be influenced by these character archetypes I give the man a thumbs up.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-12-04 20:02:59  
Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
Gilgamesh.Mairah said:
I picked up the book in Walmart, opened it, read the first paragraph and couldn't read anymore. The story may be ok, whatever, but that woman's writing style sucked, and the acting in the movies sucked.
You can't judge a book by the first paragraph...you just can't. lol

Infact you can and it's taught in any decent english class from high school to creative writing to advance journalism. The first paragraph, wait i'm sorry, the first line, must be the best line in the entire book save for the last. As a writer your goal is to do the following in your first line and first paragraph: Set the tone, structure, and pace for the entire book. Novels give much more freedom then say a biography given you are actually allowed to make up a great deal including grammer and words themselves. Novels are held to a different standard though that which makes a good one happens to be the first paragraph. The writer can increase and decrease this pace at any given chapter, but the first one needs to draw the reader in. Read the first line and paragraph of J.R.R. Tolkien's works (The Fellowship of the ring and The Hobbit), Anne Rice (The vampire Lestat), and Pride and Prejudice.

From The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole, and that means comfort."

Pay attention to this and why I've transcribed it. Your first paragraph is your first impression as an author, and you only get one. The reader doesn't know what a Hobbit is, and their imagination from the title alone has lead them to such ideas that it's a troll or boogeyman or alien. In this first paragraph our author has givin us the following information to go off of.

Our Hobbit lives in a hole.
This hobbit keeps a well to do place that isn't at all the kind of hole we'd imagine.
He enjoy's comfort, and thus, we as humans can instantly relate. So now our seemling completely unfamiliar subject of the title isn't so foreign to us.

In review I noticed this will come off preachy and that's not what I'm intending here. I just happen to be an author and book lover and pretty much enjoyed my A+ in english courses all through highschool and college. That being said about me, just understand that I felt the need to clarify that if one person isn't impressed with the first paragraph (the authors first impression to the reader, remember that) then thats quite fine, the rest of the book may be fantastic but if the reader is put off on the first paragraph and isn't willing to muscle through to the good part wherever it may appear, thats thier choice and to ask them to do so would turn a fun read into a school required reading and honestly, how many of those did we enjoy in school that otherwise would have been great reads had we chosen to read it.
[+]
 Asura.Hit
By Asura.Hit 2009-12-04 20:11:05  
The Hobbit was my favorite :P
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-12-04 20:16:28  
Asura.Hit said:
The Hobbit was my favorite :P

See ^^. Good old writing at its best.
 Asura.Obsydian
user: Obsydian
By Asura.Obsydian 2009-12-04 21:08:54  
Meyer's writing is a slap in the face to any author worth their salt. It's equivalent to a 12-year old girl's LJ entries thrown into a novel format. She's even stated herself that before her book series, she had never written anything... EVER! Her success as an author is a fluke simply because the YA (young adult) publishing industry knew she'd be a cashcow for its target audience.

[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-12-04 21:51:57  
Updated the link above of the "How Twilight Works" post to reflect Obsydian's words. lol

"Edward's Perfect Face" could so easily be an indie band that goes platinum if they were to get on their ***like yesterday.
 Asura.Obsydian
By Asura.Obsydian 2009-12-04 22:30:57  
Seraph.Caiyuo said:
"Edward's Perfect Face" could so easily be an indie band that goes platinum if they were to get on their ***like yesterday.

Indie band? Based on Twilight? <You can have this>
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-12-04 23:17:28  
Wow, I was really not expecting that to be at all possible or true. Parents, hold your children close, take them down to the bunker, talk to them about Edward Cullen and hopefully in a few decades this will have subsided when the Rebel Alliance makes a stand and is able to overtake the Golden Twihard faction from securing power in the Motherland. D:

*gets to work on fanfic*
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-12-05 01:43:06  
Asura.Obsydian said:
Seraph.Caiyuo said:
Indie band? Based on Twilight? <You can have this>

Wow....

WTF... 3 fat ***, 3 chords progression and the worst lyrics practically snatched directly from the book.

Stephanie Meyer would be proud ;)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Obsydian
By Asura.Obsydian 2009-12-05 10:21:55  
Pandemonium.Bartimaeus said:
Easy read > dull (words cannot describe how bad that series was) read. :b

Huh, I've heard from a lot of people that The Dark Tower series was one of King's best works. Hm.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-05 10:30:27  
I personally couldn't stand The Dark Tower series either. I gave it some time, finishing the first and second books but I just found it so dull... thought it was trying to be -too- grimy and "realistic" with the references to sex and drugs and things as well, which put me off.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-12-05 10:45:07  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Phoenix.Slytribal said:
Phoenix.Amael said:
Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
I've never read a Stephen King book (just never picked one up), but I know he's pretty big. I can totally understand your side, and agree with a few parts of it. :P
Lots of his books has been adapted to movies. Carrie
Salem's lot
Children of the Corn
The Running man
Pet Cementary
It (Remember that scary clown?)
The Shawshank redemption
Rose Red
Dream Catcher
The Mist
just to name a few. At some point you must have at least saw some of his work.
All of them made it big, but all you had to do was put that he wrote The Shining, and then it's clear how amazing he is.
Yeah and notice just how different they all are lol. Also the Green mile was amazing. Tommy Knockers Storm Century etc... um The Stand is about the only movie from his books that I can think of that wasn't awesome

This one Really sucked though
 Asura.Hit
By Asura.Hit 2009-12-05 12:09:02  
I'm sorry but the Dark tower series was amazing. Post apocalyptic gunslinger action in alternate dimensions? *** yes.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-12-05 12:22:45  
Asura.Hit said:
I'm sorry but the Dark tower series was amazing. Post apocalyptic gunslinger action in alternate dimensions? *** yes.

Seriously.

The funny thing is, King gave real constructive criticism. Nothing more or less. He explained everything perfectly.

That clip was so amazing.
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-12-09 18:19:30  
Bizzump. My friend who showed me the earlier roflrazzi picture just found this one and sent it to me:

*snerk*
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-12-10 12:22:11  
New Moon in a minute Parody

waaaaaah, there's so much of this. I love the interweebs.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-12-10 12:31:09  
It will be disturbing to note that I know AT LEAST 5 girls who have had their boyfriends stand in front of the fridge so that they can have sad, cold imitation vampire-y sex with their boyfriends while thinking about Edward Cullen. Poor guys.