フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » SAM AF+1
SAM AF+1
 Asura.Korpg
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-12-02 10:34:50  
Thank you for your advice Dawnn.

I was told that AF+1 body was better, but you, plus Disc, Dirtyfinger, and Rae have all agreed that Arhat+1 is a better tanking gear, I shall take your advice next time I'm asked to tank as SAM for something.

As for certain others, I question his knowledge, even though he has said the same thing, I won't believe it unless others show otherwise.
 Fairy.Vegetto
サーバ: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 10:37:24  
Quote:
When you're going for mobs like chariots, they're not going to miss you in any plausible tanking set. Damage mitigation is what you'll want for when seigan drops (arhat's+1).
Quote:
When you're going for mobs like chariots, they're not going to miss you in any plausible tanking set. Damage mitigation is what you'll want for when seigan drops (arhat's+1).
Quote:

Sup dawg.

You should be questioning your own knowledge, if you ever thought AF+1 was good for tanking (or solo)
Asura.Korpg said:

Stick with MNK questions please though,
Wut?
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2009-12-02 10:37:59  
Asura.Korpg said:

I was told that AF 1 body was better, but you, plus Disc, Dirtyfinger, and Rae have all agreed that Arhat 1 is a better tanking gear, I shall take your advice next time I'm asked to tank as SAM for something.

As for certain others, I question his knowledge, even though he has said the same thing, I won't believe it unless others show otherwise.

thanks

but hey if you can tank something big, like genbu or another sky god, in a myochin domaru +1, and do it effectively. I'm not gonna question it lol

let sleeping dogs lie
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-02 10:44:14  
Asura.Korpg said:

I was told that AF 1 body was better, but you, plus Disc, Dirtyfinger, and Rae have all agreed that Arhat +1 is a better tanking gear, I shall take your advice next time I'm asked to tank as SAM for something.

lol... You fail, Korpg. Stick to... whatever it is you have knowledge in like Mage topics. :P
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-02 10:45:51  
Ok boys cut it out.

Just stick to the topic.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2009-12-02 10:49:11  
@ OP

not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but another good thing about af+1 pants for sam, they can be used for Y/G/K ws and you wouldnt have to get shura haidate since they have 5str on them as well (might save you the gil for buying cursed haidate - around 200k on my server.)
Asura.Korpg said:
I would personally go with Item Not Found! if I were you.

For those times you would have to tank (hi2u Salvage) 20 Evasion > - 10 Attack, and you get the same STR/Acc as Hauber 1.

And its cheaper than Hauber 1.

waste of a body, if you want eva and acc wear SH+1, even nq SH would benefit you more if your only wearing it for the eva and acc.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-02 10:49:43  
*Points at Korpg.* He went off-topic first, Alyria!! lol
Fairy.Ghaleon said:
@ OP

not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but another good thing about af 1 pants for sam, they can be used for Y/G/K ws and you wouldnt have to get shura haidate since they have 5str on them as well (might save you the gil for buying cursed haidate - around 200k on my server.)
Asura.Korpg said:
I would personally go with Item Not Found! if I were you.

For those times you would have to tank (hi2u Salvage) 20 Evasion > - 10 Attack, and you get the same STR/Acc as Hauber 1.

And its cheaper than Hauber 1.

waste of a body, if you want eva and acc wear SH 1, even nq SH would benefit you more if your only wearing it for the eva and acc.
Yeah, but you would still want Shura for Penta Thrust. That acc is nice if you're not already capped for acc on Polearm. (Which is generally easily taken care of with some sushi. >.>)
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 10:50:02  
already covered it on first page :)
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-12-02 11:00:30  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
You should be questioning your own knowledge, if you ever thought AF 1 was good for tanking (or solo)
I don't have AF+1 body, I am planning on getting that though, and see for myself if its a better substitute for something like Hauby, and I don't plan on getting a +1 anytime soon.

Since AF+1 body is much cheaper than Haubys (ABCs are given out in my shell in exchange of points, and LS pays for limbus, so all I'm out is the synth mats) I can afford to test it for myself and see if I like what better.

And if you didn't pick it up, I was giving an opinion (much like what you do, except you imply that its your opinion or gtfo) on the matter, and was told otherwise, which I have accepted by others, not by you. I doubt your knowledge on this subject because personally, I doubt anything you say anymore.

I don't profess knowledge on anything outside of RDM/BLM/SMN, and you won't see me profess knowledge on it either. I can only go by my experiences here, which, when asked, will share to anyone who wants to know. I can also share common knowledge from anything though, like what STR does to a SAM or what VIT does to a PLD. But then again, you can too.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2009-12-02 11:04:37  
Fairy.Tbest said:
*Points at Korpg.* He went off-topic first, Alyria!! lol
Yeah, but you would still want Shura for Penta Thrust. That acc is nice if you're not already capped for acc on Polearm. (Which is generally easily taken care of with some sushi. >.>)

umm what? use byakko's for penta >o penta thrust is 20str/dex wsmod.

shura = 5str 7 accc
Byakko = 15dex (11 or 12 accuracy depending on user's dex)

also, on birds with sushi, i have around 92~93% acc, pretty sure thats not cap >o

point being, shura isnt needed at all for penta, it is a nice rana piece tho :)
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-02 11:07:04  
Yes, Byakko's would be better. Shura is a lot easier to get than Byakko's though. >.>

lol, Quote's not working in your favor, Ghal? :P
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2009-12-02 11:09:37  
Fairy.Tbest said:
Yes, Byakko's would be better. Shura is a lot easier to get than Byakko's though. >.>

they drop off the same mob!, most of the people that do byakkos are generally for kitty pants these days lol.

and yea quotes not working with me today X_x
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 11:09:39  
Uhh no sorry. You're the one who told me I should stick to the mnk threads. I explaining why the eva wouldn't matter on something like a chariot, since you mentioned them and I also explained that a PDT build would be best, which was backed up by every other poster in this thread.

Tanking third eye up: DD gear
Tanking third eye down: PDT
Solo: Something with evasion

My advice to OP

Legs+1 first too, imo.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 11:11:23  
Fairy.Ghaleon said:
Fairy.Tbest said:

they drop off the same mob!, most of the people that do byakkos are generally for kitty pants these days lol.

Shura still easier to get. >.>
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-12-02 11:16:18  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
I explaining why the eva wouldn't matter on something like a chariot, since you mentioned them
I didn't mention chariots.

And for those I wouldn't be tanking them, I would be /range and WS only...

And Shura isn't easier to get. Last 10 Byakko's my shell did, we got 7 tiger pants and 3 Shuras...

And since Dryadic: Legs only drop from Byakko.....

Hell, even wiki states that Byakko Haidate has a higher drop rate than Dryadic Abj: Legs.

Edit: Correction on the number of pants dropped from Byakko.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-02 11:17:20  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
Fairy.Ghaleon said:
Fairy.Tbest said:

Shura still easier to get. >.>
*Nods.* Drop rate seems to be higher on D legs in my experience. Plus, as Ghal said, most people go for Byakko's Haidate when they kill Byakko... Sooo... It's pretty easy to get the D legs since not as many people want them. I got mine free lot years ago before my Mnk or Sam could even use them. >.>
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 11:18:13  
Quote:
hi2u Salvage

Pretty much implies chariots, as they're the main and one of the only things that even need to be tanked in salvage.

As for easier, unless your shell is highly abnormal, there are going to be way more people after byakko's than shura.
 Ragnarok.Inga
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Inga
By Ragnarok.Inga 2009-12-02 11:20:26  
:/ I've only been playing this game for a little under a year, and I still don't have my byakkos ***is frustrating, my NIN and SAM could be so much better with that added acc and haste.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-12-02 11:24:04  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
Quote:
hi2u Salvage
Pretty much implies chariots, as they're the main and one of the only things that even need to be tanked in salvage. As for easier, unless your shell is highly abnormal, there are going to be way more people after byakko's than shura.
Did I say I tanked Chariots as SAM/WAR?

I gave Salvage as an example because grabbing first hate and keeping it from mobs equals tanking. Even if they are too weak, its still considered tanking.

However, as stated above, I do not tank Chariots. Reason being that I would give too much TP to the Chariots, which would cause extra TP moves from the Chariots. Doing it lowman (I'm sure you would understand this, if you did salvage and didn't buy your gear from shouting in whitegate) usually means only 1 healer, and in that case, less people needing cures = better for the healer.

As for pants, Byakko's pants drop at a higher rate than Shura pants. I have seen it personally, and can give you the numbers if you so wish. My shell keeps a record on drops, so I can give you a more accurate number than what you can come up with.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2009-12-02 11:29:42  
Asura.Korpg said:
Fairy.Vegetto said:
Quote:
hi2u Salvage
Pretty much implies chariots, as they're the main and one of the only things that even need to be tanked in salvage. As for easier, unless your shell is highly abnormal, there are going to be way more people after byakko's than shura.
Did I say I tanked Chariots as SAM/WAR?

I gave Salvage as an example because grabbing first hate and keeping it from mobs equals tanking. Even if they are too weak, its still considered tanking.

However, as stated above, I do not tank Chariots. Reason being that I would give too much TP to the Chariots, which would cause extra TP moves from the Chariots. Doing it lowman (I'm sure you would understand this, if you did salvage and didn't buy your gear from shouting in whitegate) usually means only 1 healer, and in that case, less people needing cures = better for the healer.

As for pants, Byakko's pants drop at a higher rate than Shura pants. I have seen it personally, and can give you the numbers if you so wish. My shell keeps a record on drops, so I can give you a more accurate number than what you can come up with.

i have never seen byakkos drop more than shura, i was just merely implying if your going to lot on byakko's then shura isnt a must-have item for anything really.

and that comment about buying salvage gear was pretty douchie, even for you porkg >o
 Bahamut.Nightcrew
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Nightcrew
By Bahamut.Nightcrew 2009-12-02 11:30:50  
you guys mentioned Bkote/Okote/AF+1 for Penta. what do you think about Hachiman Hands if it allows for a 5hit for Polearm?
 Ragnarok.Inga
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Inga
By Ragnarok.Inga 2009-12-02 11:32:05  
Asura.Korpg said:

***all comes down to luck in the end, when you have to self farm your own triggers cause your LS is no longer interested in sky, and my record right now is 0/5 ..yeah I haven't exactly had it easy when it comes to obtaining gear in this game nor will I ever but I guess that's what makes it fun. altho how much fun can it be to solo farm diorite with no TH support? :/
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 11:32:08  
I do salvage with a shell and made pick up runs, which I lead, some runs including people who have never done salvage before. I understand salvage quite a bit and still do it, even after completing full usu. Also, unless you're going so low man that you need ppl to force DC so you can get in, you should have more than 1 healer, as every zone can be cleared with DD/nin x2 thf brd whm rdm and again, w/o having someone force d/c you're not going to get any more lowman than 6.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 11:33:26  
Bahamut.Nightcrew said:
you guys mentioned Bkote/Okote/AF 1 for Penta. what do you think about Hachiman Hands if it allows for a 5hit for Polearm?
Hmm never gave it thought tbh. I have a 5hit before WS, so I have never paid attention to having the same amount of stp in WS.

Using WS for tp though, would probably be risky, as you'd have to land enough hits consistently to be able to have the extra stp to make up for what you don't have in your TP build.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2009-12-02 11:36:27  
Asura.Korpg said:
Fairy.Vegetto said:
You should be questioning your own knowledge, if you ever thought AF 1 was good for tanking (or solo)

Since AF 1 body is much cheaper than Haubys (ABCs are given out in my shell in exchange of points, and LS pays for limbus, so all I'm out is the synth mats) I can afford to test it for myself and see if I like what better.

I dont think its much cheaper than hauby, buy what you want but as of today hauby's on asura are 150k

for the myochin domaru +1 you need 25 ancient beastcoins whichhh

if sold at 7k a piece, 7k x 25 = 175k

not including the Iyo Scale which is going for 18k~ on asura

when it comes down to it

Hauby: 150k and multiple uses (generally accepted)
or
Myochin Domaru +1: 193k~200k depending on ABC price + time, and limited usage

buy what you want lol, im just looking at this from an "impact on your wallet" perspective
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2009-12-02 11:37:41  
and i know you said your shell gives them out for free, but instead of using them you could sell them and make profit or save them for a different piece
 Bahamut.Nightcrew
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Nightcrew
By Bahamut.Nightcrew 2009-12-02 11:41:37  
Vegetto, how up-to-date is your Sam stuff. cuz i see you have Smilod. Mantle +1 for WS. ive never been able to get a straight answer on it, Smilod. Mantle +1 vs Amemet Mantel +1 for WS?
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 11:41:44  
Also, you can sell haub back whenever. AF+1 isn't refundable.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-12-02 11:44:41  
Ragnarok.Inga said:
Asura.Korpg said:
***all comes down to luck in the end, when you have to self farm your own triggers cause your LS is no longer interested in sky, and my record right now is 0/5 ..yeah I haven't exactly had it easy when it comes to obtaining gear in this game nor will I ever but I guess that's what makes it fun. altho how much fun can it be to solo farm diorite with no TH support? :/
I'm sorry about your situation.

Maybe you should join a sky only linkshell. Thats how I got my pants (this was before I joined my current linkshell). Even if you have to be on a waiting list, at least you get to spam the hell out of sky gods and get the gear you want within 2-3 months, instead of waiting year(s) for it.

About farming dios though, I do it all the time. I know how bad it is, but think of what you get in return (all those nice BS/KSs, knowledge about aggroing, and some alone time if you need it). Sure you may be up there for hours on end getting just that one dio, but still. I personally find it enjoying to solo dios and help my shell at the same time, since we don't do sky THAT often.
Quote:
and that comment about buying salvage gear was pretty douchie
Did I say he bought his gear? Quote me saying that, without altering the quote.

As for the way my salvage group does it, we do SAM/WAR (usually me) with MNK/NIN x2, RDM, BRD, WHM, and THF (if they ever show). About half the time the THF shows, the other half he doesn't. All well, what can you do? I'm only there to tank up to the Chariots anyway.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-12-02 11:49:18  
Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn said:
and i know you said your shell gives them out for free, but instead of using them you could sell them and make profit or save them for a different piece
My shell has a policy against buying things for points and reselling them for personal profit (meaning that K.Osode I got from this shell, I can't sell it unless I leave, same goes with my novio and anything else I "bought" with my points).

So, I get my ABCs for free, but I can't make a profit from it, which is ok because they are my points, and I got too many of them.

I think 18k > 150k in price, and its not like my WAR gets used anymore anyway.

Plus, what I would really be buying is INV+1 cause I can't store my AF set if I have to have SAM gear on me with easy access. I'll just resell my Hauby and there ya go.