Fairy.Vegetto said:
I missed all the fun :(

I am in your Forums; posting while you sleep :P
 Fairy.Vegetto
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-27 06:51:15  
xD, at least you weren't in here advocating sam af+1 body in my absence.
 Titan.Guenhwyvar
サーバ: Titan
By Titan.Guenhwyvar 2010-01-27 10:09:07  
Bleh @ sam AF+1 body, why waste the coins?

Oh Ghaleon, I never said I dont use gear swaps, I just said for a MERIT party (which usually goes at least a few hours for me) theres no need to complicate things because lets face it, killing t-VT birds isnt exactly rocket surgery now is it? Plus its with a weapon that isnt 1st priority for sam so why bother waste a ton of gil on something situational? On my server Id probably get laughed at, ridiculed, or reprimanded if I decided to bust out my polearm in Dynamis, that doesnt even make sense. Salvage its still better (and saves the use of cells) if you just go with Soboro until later into it. in order to make polearm a viable option there you need to pretty much free up your entire inventory for use when there are other jobs that 'should' have higher priority.

Evan though crab sushi is uber cheap on most servers, I still dont believe eating it to make up for a "meh" weapon setup against mobs that will no doubt eat it within the 1st 3 minutes makes it a viable meriting option. Ill say it again, killing birds does in no way dictate how skilled a player you are on ANY job, yet every test I see and argument revolves around it. Its an easy as hell grind, Id rather go all out on an event that actually matters more. I couldnt care less if you claim to not want to merit with me, youre not even on my server. You wouldnt merit with me? fine. But I certainly wouldnt attend any kind of endgame event with you if you kept your polearm out.

Going back to topic, he wasnt asking what epeen gear sets you all have listed, he just wanted to know what was optimal for the things he had. I can see a mentioning a few cheap suggestions. I didnt see saotome helm (seriously Helder?) onimusha kote, shadow gorget, or a Black tathlum.

Hurnturn hit the nail right on the head. Dawnn, you merit any way you want to :)
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-27 10:23:32  
"Bleh @ sam AF+1 body, why waste the coins?"

You misread my post. The point was that it was a good thing he wasn't saying af+1, as someone did in another thread. I just happened to be referencing it that's all. Inside joke, ect

As for the rest of your post, Polearm is better more times than Gkt. Gkt is basically for HNM. Merits (birds), Limbus, Salvage, most dyna zones, Einherjar, ect, when properly buffed, polearm easily wins.
 Titan.Guenhwyvar
By Titan.Guenhwyvar 2010-01-27 10:34:15  
Are you talking all limbus, or just those specific floors in apollyon where piercing dmg is crazy? In most cases My job as sam was to open or close darkness/light sc for mages extra damage etc.

Veg, i know youre an avid parser, any chance you could post some basic info for birds on gkt vs. pole? Now im not talking merits, uber endgame gear, or even food. Take the approach like you just hit 75 sam and its your only job, going in to a merit party for the first time. Any SAM worth its salt will spend merits optimizing its GKT 1st and this more or less evens the playing field purely for arguments sake.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-27 10:40:47  
All of limbus, barring any floors or mob that may have piercing resistance. I main polearm, bringing gkt for back up on things that may have higher defense values or that I can't get enough buffs for.

SC in limbus? maybe for things that are absolutely melee resistant, otherwise it's basically a larger scale TP burn. (or if you have enough send the blms to one zone and the DDs to another and get 2 chips instead of 1, ect)

"Now im not talking merits," can do
"uber endgame gear," can do
"or even food." can't do. If you aren't using food, that party won't be containing both of us for a very long time. Either you go or I go, I wouldn't stay in a party like that.

As for prioritizing merits, unmerited pole beats merited gkt on birds, sot hat won't even be a concern.

You don't need any spectacular endgame gear either, except for haidate (which would hinder gkt just as much as it would polearm by not having, so yea). Turban (basic), hachiman hands (basic), okote (ws, basic), fuma (basic), swift belt (basic) ect. You don't need anything spectacular to make a polearm build that will beat a gkt build of the same quality.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-27 10:41:52  
To put it this way, a polearm sam will beat an equally geared/merited gkt sam on birds.
 Bahamut.Zorander
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-01-27 10:42:20  
Don't do it Polearm for sam is gay+1!
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-27 10:43:23  
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Don't do it Polearm for sam is gay 1!
Good thing you're not a SAM then. That's like a RDM saying Enfeebles are for noobs.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-01-27 10:44:34  
But I am a Sam...
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-27 10:45:00  
Siren.Enternius said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Don't do it Polearm for sam is gay 1!
Good thing you're not a SAM then. That's like a RDM saying Enfeebles are for noobs.
Sad thing is that he is a sam, just not a good one.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-27 10:45:28  
I've lost all hope for humanity.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-27 10:48:30  
Siren.Enternius said:
I've lost all hope for humanity.
Me too

Ulth > Rajas for tp'ing it seems. No wonder he doesn't like polearm for sam.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-01-27 10:50:55  
Fine I apologize..

I sit here at work completely bored off my *** so I come into this forum to see what would happened if I post something bad about polearm...I expected some shouting some QQ maybe even some cursing..but nothing, nothing at all..you have ruined my fun for at least the next 30 min. I figured ppl would jump at the chance to prove me wrong and tell me how HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE I am and how I fail (well you kinda did this but still..)

For the record sam Polearm is killer wicked fun in merits as well as in Limbus, Did it last night in fact. My gear isn't great for sam so I typically merit as War but sam with Tomoe makes for a wicked good time.

But for most ppl that want me in merits they don't look past my war Voke *** [you can have this] /cry!
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-01-27 10:55:17  
Whoa..I was just poking fun with sam and you bring up my war Gears..wow. And I don't know when the last time I mess around with gear sets here, but again for the record I TP in Raja not Ulth

Seems this has backfired for me..
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-27 10:57:28  
Play again sometime, it was fun :)
 Titan.Guenhwyvar
By Titan.Guenhwyvar 2010-01-27 11:05:01  
lol almost eternius

well veg, I just dont believe in using food against a mob that eats it within a minute. if a sam isnt careful (especially with polearm) they are more than likely to get hate over other jobs. sam cant shed hate like drg can easily either. My point is since I like to keep things cheaper and easy for merits it doesnt make me a bad sam. I go all out for larger scaled events. I just prefer to use a GKT over polearm. The fact that sam is so versitile is why there is so much talk about how its geared.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-01-27 11:05:25  
Might have been fun but I got owned like twice...

Vegetto sucks...wait lets not play that game I take it back, I feel like I might loose again.
 Bahamut.Satanas
user: Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2010-01-27 11:05:55  
my WS gear for polearm its not the best but it works for me, 4/8 polearm merits

Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-27 11:07:21  
Titan.Guenhwyvar said:
lol almost eternius

well veg, I just dont believe in using food against a mob that eats it within a minute.
I stopped reading here. Not that I actually read the post and just said I stopped here. I actually stopped here.

If you're not going to eat, then don't merit colibri. Mamools w/ food will give more exp than colibri w/o food. Colibri w/o food is the worst possible exp you can get and if you're not willing to eat, there are better camps for you.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2010-01-27 11:07:50  
Bahamut.Satanas said:
my WS gear for polearm its not the best but it works for me, 4/8 polearm merits

You should come to the ZNM we might do tmrw, I have gears pop want Aurum Feet, and I have Tomoe so its free lot if it drops, etc Bird will probably ask you tmrw anyway.

Edit**

And I think a few other Gears pops as well.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-01-27 11:13:50  
Titan.Guenhwyvar said:
lol almost eternius well veg, I just dont believe in using food against a mob that eats it within a minute. if a sam isnt careful (especially with polearm) they are more than likely to get hate over other jobs. sam cant shed hate like drg can easily either. My point is since I like to keep things cheaper and easy for merits it doesnt make me a bad sam. I go all out for larger scaled events. I just prefer to use a GKT over polearm. The fact that sam is so versitile is why there is so much talk about how its geared.

To anyone out there I don't care how broke you are if you are DD in a decent merit party you need to be eating food. Even if it's Mithkabobs they are what 4k a stack get 3~4 stacks and go have some fun. Imo there is no reason not to eat food in merits..its just cheap and lazy.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-27 11:19:22  
Pandemonium.Bartimaeus said:
So do you liekkkk, rage, liek.. when someone isn't eating in a meripo?
Nah, I just replace them if I'm leader or get a new party if I'm not leader.
 Ramuh.Urial
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-01-27 11:20:35  
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Titan.Guenhwyvar said:
lol almost eternius well veg, I just dont believe in using food against a mob that eats it within a minute. if a sam isnt careful (especially with polearm) they are more than likely to get hate over other jobs. sam cant shed hate like drg can easily either. My point is since I like to keep things cheaper and easy for merits it doesnt make me a bad sam. I go all out for larger scaled events. I just prefer to use a GKT over polearm. The fact that sam is so versitile is why there is so much talk about how its geared.

To anyone out there I don't care how broke you are if you are DD in a decent merit party you need to be eating food. Even if it's Mithkabobs they are what 4k a stack get 3~4 stacks and go have some fun. Imo there is no reason not to eat food in merits..its just cheap and lazy.

Walmart foods ftw
Crab sushi or meat miths can be your best friend.
 Bahamut.Satanas
user: Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2010-01-27 11:22:30  
oh hell yea i will, lets hope double aurum drop so i can lot the other one :3,
on the subject, polearm build is truely great in colibri meripo, i'm sure every SAM who meripos regularly will find that out when they see examples of better dmg on other players, for example: my average ygk on colibri is from 600-1500, my penta is from 700-2k+, also a noticible diff in melee dmg.