フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD Gear 45-68
PLD Gear 45-68
First Page 2
 Ramuh.Krizz
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-28 12:35:46  
I know there's another thread for someone else, but I didn't want to jack it or clutter it more.

Alright, my PLD is currently 43. At 45 is my next planned 'major' upgrade. That's to the first Iron Ram set. Right now I'm sporting the Kampfplatte Armor Set.

Note: Looking at the Iron Ram vs Kampfplatte, not all the pieces are better. Because of this I'm thinking Iron Ram when soloing (for the att/acc boost for full set, and only because I already bought the whole damn set.) and only certain pieces the rest of the time. The Kampf hands/feet look like they win hands down.

My level 30 set:

This is mostly what I have now. I've solo'd / duo'd most of my way from 1-43. I've already started switching out pieces (i.e. back/ring/earring) for the upgrade to the level 45 set. This set is just for reference so you can skip the lolPLDevasion comments. It worked out just fine for me solo/duo with capped shield(up to level 38)/evasion already (200 evasion / ~107 shield from my WHM).

My level 45 set(s):
Party:

Solo:

(the solo set may go away if PT invites increase or I find it's not a big enough boost to be worth the hassle)

Notes: The only gear I do not have for level 45 is the Buckler Earring. It's rough at 200k. With some other expenses recently I can't grab it just yet.

In PT I use macros to swap out my ether ring for bomb ring when my MP isn't full. Since I'm not full MP often in a PT going at the rate it should, it's pointless to keep in.

I will have CoP ring soon. I'm going to go with Sattva. If I find that the Rajas will benefit me better at 75, I will switch.

My level 68 set:

This is my next major step that I have planned. I think I'm going in the right direction, but th
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-28 12:37:51  
If you're gonna full on turtle tank, use High Breath Mantle over Knightly Mantle.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-28 12:41:55  
It cut my first post off.

Earrings: I have no idea what to go with at this point. I don't want to spend a shitload of gil on an earring that will only last 7 (or less) levels. That being said I'm edging towards Buckler Earring / Mercenary's Earring / Insomnia Earring.

For armour, is there anything I should upgrade between 45-68 besides AF pieces?

For swords, I have a separate itemset that lists what I see as options. The only real question I have here is Macuahuitl +1 vs Espadon +1.

For shields, next planned upgrade is Sentinel Shield at 50. Then the Iron Ram Shield at 60. I may grab a Master Shield for skilling up. Due to the lower defense, is it really a viable option otherwise?

I think that about covers it. I know the post is long. Sorry.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-28 12:43:29  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
If you're gonna full on turtle tank, use High Breath Mantle over Knightly Mantle.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the high breath mantle is a part of my lvl 68 set if I have a problem with hate.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-01-28 12:48:30  
You really shouldn't be using any HP->MP gear on PLD
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-28 12:49:42  
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
You really shouldn't be using any HP->MP gear on PLD
It's one piece that I macro out after I use the MP.

Anything more constructive to add?

Edit: Forgot about the astral rope. It's in the set purely if the enm+ is needed.
 Ramuh.Urial
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-01-28 12:50:17  
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the high breath mantle is a part of my lvl 68 set if I have a problem with hate.
LVL 68 are imps, oh you will have trouble holding hate lmao.
 Ramuh.Zidan
By Ramuh.Zidan 2010-01-28 13:31:27  
What Hypnotizd didn't explain is that you do not want -hp because it causes you to lose hate faster, but this is of course up to you. You wont always have the great mage that u can rely on all the time for cures, sometimes at least for exp pt's it is essential to have somewhat of a mp build.

As far as earring go i would use Buckler earring and insomnia, possible Cassie earring if you don't mind the -mp

As far as taking PLD to endgame, i eliminate any kind of an MP set, I focus basically all on HP and shield skill cause there are lots of moves that can do 1500+ and having 1900 hp really helps. Also emnity is pretty much not needed at all endgame most mobs have a lot of defense and rarely require you to have any more than 15~20 at any one given time.

Sorry to ramble on but that is how i generally look at PLD.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-28 13:35:10  
I agree that an MP set isn't worth keeping around at endgame, but how many moves are there which do 1500+? O_O
Quote:
Also emnity is pretty much not needed at all endgame

Macros! It is incredibly necessary against DDs worth a damn.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-28 13:41:53  
Ramuh.Zidan said:
As far as earring go i would use Buckler earring and insomnia, possible Cassie earring if you don't mind the -mp

As far as taking PLD to endgame, i eliminate any kind of an MP set, I focus basically all on HP and shield skill cause there are lots of moves that can do 1500 and having 1900 hp really helps. Also emnity is pretty much not needed at all endgame most mobs have a lot of defense and rarely require you to have any more than 15~20 at any one given time.
I've replaced the merc's with insomnia in the set. I do not like cassie earring because of the -mp. That 50MP is more likely to save me than 50HP. Not to mention, it's expensive.

I'm trying to keep endgame out of this particular thread due to all the variables. I know I'll need multiple sets and certain gear will be more viable than others depending on the event.

Unrelated:
Holy ***I just realized who you are, lol. I have a bad habit of not recognizing people on the forum as their in game counterparts.
 Ramuh.Zidan
By Ramuh.Zidan 2010-01-28 13:44:44  
lol 1500 maybe somewhat exaggerated but 1200 razor fang from byakko could out right kill a tank and i have seen some a little higher than that. Also i have seen some really high Mijin Gakure in places like Dynamis, even seen one as high as 3800 in Jeuno, 1900 wont save you there but i typically think of it as a good investment to have a nice hp set.

By saying Emnity is not at all important for end game, i mean it should not be your main focus. I always have somewhat of an enmity build 15~20, but when ever i am pld/nin haste usually takes priority atleast for me.
 Ramuh.Zidan
By Ramuh.Zidan 2010-01-28 13:46:17  
:o ok i will leave endgame out but will say one last thing, Hp set for spirits within is a great thing.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-28 13:46:57  
Yeah, tanking Byakko is a bit like playing Russian Roulette. He'll get you at some point.

And yah, Mijin can hurt. Other ones I can think of are Citadel Buster and Tourbillion ... and of course the legendary Spike Flail. Kirin's TP moves hurt too!

EDIT: Spirits Within is a bit outdated with Atonement :( except for opening a fight with it of course.
 Ramuh.Zidan
By Ramuh.Zidan 2010-01-28 13:48:49  
That is true which i do have Atonement but for the start of any tough fight where i can build tp i always use spirits within.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-28 13:49:02  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Yeah, tanking Byakko is a bit like playing Russian Roulette. He'll get you at some point.
I lol'd.
Ramuh.Zidan said:
That is true which i do have Atonement but for the start of any tough fight where i can build tp i always use spirits within.
I do like the look of spirits within. Can't wait to get a chance to use it.
 Alexander.Kaizan
サーバ: Alexander
user: Kaizan
By Alexander.Kaizan 2010-01-28 14:26:38  
Check also gluttony sword at 57, its good for a couple lvls while fighting the colibri

Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-01-28 15:04:20  
For God's sake use separate idle, enmity, and tp sets. It really annoys me that paladins that fulltime IR aren't regarded with the same stigma given purple paladins.

It still displays the same ignorance of game mechanics. It just means you're a purple paladin +1.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-28 15:14:18  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
For God's sake use separate idle, enmity, and tp sets. It really annoys me that paladins that fulltime IR aren't regarded with the same stigma given purple paladins.

It still displays the same ignorance of game mechanics. It just means you're a purple paladin +1.
Now are you talking endgame and 75 only, or 1-74?

If you're talking about 1-74, what do you mean aside from Vermillion Cloak for the refresh?

If you're talking about 75, then yeah, I already said I know I will have multiple sets.

Edit: You're coming off as an ***. There is nothing constructive about your post. You might as well have said 'urdoinitwrong' and nothing else.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-01-28 15:37:31  
@ 75 you're going to need a lot more than just idle, enmity, and tp.

Your question is too broad for a piece-by-piece breakdown. If i covered every single piece for every single set from level 48 to level 68, i'd be writing an EXP pld guide. there are plenty of those out there already.

Major things to pick up along the way for TP
Woodsman Rings
PCC(Should already have at this point)
Hauby is HUGE
Royal Knights Breeches
Life/Swift Belt
Spike Earrings
Walkure Mask

On the whole, gear your TP set as closely as you can to a WAR of equivalent level. Someone knowledgeable like Raenryong please feel free to correct me here, but your WS set for Vorpal should be fairly close to a war's rampage set. Focus on attack/accuracy, STR is secondary.

Enmity set is pretty self explanatory, equip the highest enmity you can in a slot. AF and IR are big steps along the way. I'd probably fulltime HBM until Cerb.

You nailed idle, Vermy and Parade gorget.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
サーバ: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-01-28 15:38:27  
no he means get some acc gear for when your just meleeing and flash/sentinel/rampart/voke etc are all down

can always macro in enmity for JA's, but if u expect to hold hate thro voke/flash alone while bloodtanking your way to 75 it gets hard when DD's get into ther 60's and pickup better WS.

Midgardsormr.Dominionix
サーバ: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Dominionix 2010-01-29 03:09:19  
Ramuh.Krizz said:
I will have CoP ring soon. I'm going to go with Sattva. If I find that the Rajas will benefit me better at 75, I will switch.

My level 68 set:

This is my next major step that I have planned. I think I'm going in the right direction, but there are a couple slots I just don't know what to do with yet.

Notes: I have jelly ring in this set as well. I'm still debating on rings.

Edit: This post was cut off. Third post continues.

You have generally received the right answers from other people regarding your gear so far, but something I saw in your original post that I wanted to respond to:

Whilst I try to keep all of my jobs well geared, you would probably consider me a "main" PLD. It takes me 66 odd inventory spaces just for all of my macro's / gear swaps / idle sets, and that doesn't include other stuff like meds / food etc.

Honestly, I have -NEVER- wished I had gone for a Sattva Ring. I know you said you would change it if needed, but the reason I wrote this is that CoP missions are a real pain to get done (or find people to get them done with), so I thought I say this before you chose.

There are plenty of other rings that can be just as / more useful to you on PLD. Further to this, Raja's is still a great ring for PLD due to the jobs effectiveness at soloing PLD/DNC in campaign (using the Store TP).

If you plan to be the be-all-end-all of PLD's, going for Aegis or w/e else, then yeah, maybe Sattva is the ring for you. But honestly, if you ever plan to level -ANY- DD jobs, you really really can't replace a Raja's ring.

I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong as you know what you wanna do / where you wanna go in this game, but just trying to save you the hassle I have seen so many others go through. Good luck.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-02-02 21:34:20  
Midgardsormr.Dominionix said:
If you plan to be the be-all-end-all of PLD's, going for Aegis or w/e else, then yeah, maybe Sattva is the ring for you.

Even then it's the wrong ring. The swing Rajas takes off of atonement will do a lot more for you then the 1 enmity over mermaid's ring
 Carbuncle.Axle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-02-02 22:08:26  
Your sets look fine, full AF doesn't hurt for pre 68. Turtle tank is a good option for those lvls, especially if you don't have hand picked pts, you'll be pounded on longer than normal or sometimes over camping. Don't switch to a DD set unless your fights are really short or your other members are tanking anyway.
 Fenrir.Dramanue
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Dramanue
By Fenrir.Dramanue 2010-02-02 22:26:35  
I'm also leveling pld and am currently sitting at 45. My equipment is rather subpar and I guess I have some questions.

Firstly, I'm all for enmity and I've been using a Cache-Nez ever since like I could equip it (well... level 1). Aside from that, though, I use mostly either Acc or Vit pieces, with a few Dex's spread about. I figure that if I can hit the damn thing more often, it'll garner more enmity. From my general understanding, Vitality is used to calculate the capped damage that an enemy can hit you for.

In the future, should I continue concentrating on Accuracy or should I start focusing on Vitality and general Defense? I'm just afraid that if I can't hit the enemies, I won't generate the enmity required to keep it attacking me. So far, I've had rather good luck on keeping enmity, even in parties with Drk's and Sam's.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-02-02 22:36:01  
Fenrir.Dramanue said:
I'm also leveling pld and am currently sitting at 45. My equipment is rather subpar and I guess I have some questions.

Firstly, I'm all for enmity and I've been using a Cache-Nez ever since like I could equip it (well... level 1). Aside from that, though, I use mostly either Acc or Vit pieces, with a few Dex's spread about. I figure that if I can hit the damn thing more often, it'll garner more enmity. From my general understanding, Vitality is used to calculate the capped damage that an enemy can hit you for.

In the future, should I continue concentrating on Accuracy or should I start focusing on Vitality and general Defense? I'm just afraid that if I can't hit the enemies, I won't generate the enmity required to keep it attacking me. So far, I've had rather good luck on keeping enmity, even in parties with Drk's and Sam's.
VIT reduces damage done. The less damage done, the less hate lost when hit.
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
サーバ: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2010-02-02 22:37:51  
This is what I've been using leveling now and then on my 44pld.

and this most often to TP or WS in.

any thoughts on the Gothic set? I've been using them and loving them since I could wear em. What level PLD should I be looking to replace them? lv52 for feet I would guess but hands?
 Hades.Triet
サーバ: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2010-02-03 02:16:20  
Might want to look into this rings set at Lv.55, they seem pretty nice for PLD:

Dasra's Ring
with
Nasatya's Ring
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-02-03 06:21:30  
Fenrir.Dramanue said:

I'd say you can get away with turtle tanking until level 54-55, when you hit colibs. By level 59, with the availability of hauby, you should absolutely be tping in acc/attk and macroing in enmity for jas. At that point, it's time to leave vit behind.

It's worth noting that paladin it not a friendly job if you're not comfortable with extensive gearswaps. You will also face some serious handicaps @ 75 if you don't have sea access.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-02-03 06:23:24  
Carbuncle.Axle said:
Your sets look fine, full AF doesn't hurt for pre 68. Turtle tank is a good option for those lvls, especially if you don't have hand picked pts, you'll be pounded on longer than normal or sometimes over camping. Don't switch to a DD set unless your fights are really short or your other members are tanking anyway.

no

Seraph.Corleonis
サーバ: Seraph
By Seraph.Corleonis 2010-02-03 06:51:15  
Should you have a turtle set? yes
Should you have a solid DD set with haste/acc/atk? yes

Idealy, you should carry both and adjust for the situation at hand. Maybe start the party in turtle, and if there's no downtime and mobs barely hurt you, swap out the turtle and put on the DD. If you can fulltime a DD set, go for it! More damage doesn't just generate lots of enmity, it kills faster. Faster kills = more exp/hr, and more exp/hr = win.

Don't ONLY turtle up. Genbu is a turtle. Do you wanna be a Genbu?
First Page 2