Maat's Cap ...N Smn Burns... >_>
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-11 22:41:26  
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
If someone smn burns all their jobs to higher levels they can't truly understand how to play the job the right way, I'm sure this has been said before but I'm saying it again.

I myself really don't care if someone does, or does not smn burn.
If they want to gimp themselves then by all means have at er.
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
No. All jobs fall into one of 4 different roles. DD, Tank, Healer, Support. Support includes buffing and enfeebling. Some jobs can play hybrids of two or more of the above roles (BRD/WHM, RDM, BLU, SCH, PUP with a WHM auto, DD tanks, etc). Within these groups, yes they're more or less interchangeable.

If you can play one in a group, you should be competent at any other job in that group with a minimum amount of playtime on it.
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-02-11 22:42:07  
Cerberus.Eanae said:
Cry. More.
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
If someone smn burns all their jobs to higher levels they can't truly understand how to play the job the right way, I'm sure this has been said before but I'm saying it again. I myself really don't care if someone does, or does not smn burn. If they want to gimp themselves then by all means have at er.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-11 22:43:27  
Quote:
As what? What type of party and logs please.
Standard EXP party, I don't save logs unless there's something noteworthy about them. AFK DD'ing is not noteworthy. Waste of HDD space. DRG is the current job in question (birds or no), but any heavy DD job could fill that spot really. I eat food, I wear good gear, I use my JAs intelligently. That alone is enough to top a parse in 95% of pickup parties.

EDIT: I should make it clear that I don't AFK EXP on most jobs. It's just really easy to do so and still perform well as a heavy DD.
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-02-11 22:43:31  
I don't get why you quoted myself and then you =O

I iz stupidz? Hear me roar?

Roar.

Edits: Now that I see yer ninja edit skillz it makes sense. But still doesn't. Funnn
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-11 22:46:44  
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
I don't get why you quoted myself and then you =O

I iz stupidz? Hear me roar?

Roar.

Edits: Now that I see yer ninja edit skillz it makes sense. But still doesn't. Funnn
I play DRG. If you sit me down with a DRK75 and gear for it with no prior experience on DRK, I should be at least competent at the job within the span of a couple hours. They're essentially interchangeable. The principle applies across each of the four archetypes.

EDIT: Information too. I obviously need to know what each JA does. Almost forgot about that, researching a job is automatic for me at this point.

EDIT the second: Note that this isn't universal. I seriously doubt I could pull that off on PUP, for example... and I don't intend to try.
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-02-11 22:50:53  
I understand what you're saying. But what happens when you go from knowing how to play loldrg to playing a 75 RDM you burned to 75.

I think that might take a little....... Eh tldr.
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-02-11 22:50:59  
Quote:
Standard EXP party, I don't save logs unless there's something noteworthy about them. AFK DD'ing is not noteworthy. Waste of HDD space. DRG is the current job in question (birds or no), but any heavy DD job could fill that spot really. I eat food, I wear good gear, I use my JAs intelligently. That alone is enough to top a parse in 95% of pickup parties.

If you want to make a brash statement about how you outparse everyone without concentrating please give some evidence to prove that.

Though DRG isn't exactly a job you have to concentrate on to do well.(especially on birds)
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-11 22:52:07  
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
I understand what you're saying. But what happens when you go from knowing how to play loldrg to playing a 75 RDM you burned to 75.

I think that might take a little....... Eh tldr.
RDM is a healer/support job, not a DD, so no. It's not within the same job archetype, so you don't immediately have that understanding.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-11 22:53:11  
Quote:
If you want to make a brash statement about how you outparse everyone without concentrating please give some evidence to prove that.

Though DRG isn't exactly a job you have to concentrate on to do well.(especially on birds)
I said birds or no. If you can't construct a sound argument against the main topic I'm not going to bother posting proof for a side argument, sorry.
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-02-11 22:54:38  
DRG made me cut myself.

Also what about going from a RDM to DNC? I think that too would take time to learn, even tho they are both in the same thinger.

Why do I keep typing, I don't care about thisissssisisi aghh
 Unicorn.Hyshio
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Hyshio
By Unicorn.Hyshio 2010-02-11 22:54:57  
Ive come to a revelation in seeing that the majority of new cap owners are terrible players. It makes people like me for getting the cap on legit terms look bad. It took me 2 years from when I started on this long goal to the end of it. Even way before Level sync came into the picture. Ive never done a smn burn when it came to leveling any of my jobs. If someone possesses this cap, they need to have the skills to back it up.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-02-11 22:56:29  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:

I said birds or no. If you can't construct a sound argument against the main topic I'm not going to bother posting proof for a side argument, sorry.

Again, if you don't have the proof don't bring it up.

And I've yet to see a sound argument advocating the use of smn burns as it's opinion.

You say levelling should be possible when doing nothing, I say it shouldn't be there is no sound argument for either side if opinion is a big part of it.
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-02-11 22:57:30  
I could have had the cap by now if I didn't spend almost all of my time walking around in my mog house =)

It takes epic skillz to walk in a mog house like meh
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-02-11 22:57:33  
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
DRG made me cut myself.

Also what about going from a RDM to DNC? I think that too would take time to learn, even tho they are both in the same thinger.

This is what I'm like. I made a note not to get involved in this pointless debate about *** smn burns this time, and look where I am now.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-11 22:57:36  
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
DRG made me cut myself.

Time, yes. Especially since DNC has a DD component that RDM does not in EXP and most endgame (straight-tanked solos not included). But not a horribly long time. Figure out what each JA does, how they go together, what makes the mob dead and the people alive, done.
Quote:
Ive come to a revelation in seeing that the majority of new cap owners are terrible players. It makes people like me for getting the cap on legit terms look bad. It took me 2 years from when I started on this long goal to the end of it. Even way before Level sync came into the picture. Ive never done a smn burn when it came to leveling any of my jobs. If someone possesses this cap, they need to have the skills to back it up.
ITT: Beating Maat takes serious skill.
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-02-11 23:00:06  
Night I'm going to have your babies kay?
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-11 23:01:18  
Quote:

And I've yet to see a sound argument advocating the use of smn burns as it's opinion.

You say levelling should be possible when doing nothing, I say it shouldn't be there is no sound argument for either side if opinion is a big part of it.
Efficiency up in this ***. Less time spent EXPing for the same end result. There's the argument for SMNburns in a nutshell. If you argue against that, you're arguing against:

1) Gearing your jobs effectively and getting good support in order to kill something faster and with less risk
2) Getting faster EXP over slower EXP in general - soloing vs meripos anyone?
3) Any other decision made on the basis of efficiency.

SMNburning does not reduce your skillset, but it also does not increase it. If you don't suck, SMNburning will not make you suck. If you do suck, SMNburning will no make you a good player - just a guy with a lot of 75s.

EDIT: Okay sweetie <3
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-02-11 23:01:32  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
DRG made me cut myself.

This is what I'm like. I made a note not to get involved in this pointless debate about *** smn burns this time, and look where I am now.

I blame you for getting me into this. Aghh
 Hades.Stefanos
サーバ: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-02-11 23:02:54  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
ITT: Beating Maat takes serious skill.

99% of the time I agree with you, but in this case I can't totally approve of this, lol. I think what he's saying is you should have the skill to use Maat's Cap, not that it takes skill to get it. Unless I'm misunderstanding it, or you already get it, but you're joking around.
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-02-11 23:03:12  
Oh you!!!! Ninja edits, you are good at.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-11 23:03:52  
If that's what he means then I completely agree... but I don't think that's what he means. I think he means the skill to obtain it, which is questionable at best.

Yes I am =D
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-02-11 23:05:55  
I'm all for SMN burns so long as I can leech my DNC to 75. I'm bored with campo-battles.

I already know how to play DNC so I wont be gimpface
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-02-11 23:10:28  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:

Efficiency up in this ***. Less time spent EXPing for the same end result. There's the argument for SMNburns in a nutshell. If you argue against that, you're arguing against:

1) Gearing your jobs effectively and getting good support in order to kill something faster and with less risk
2) Getting faster EXP over slower EXP in general - soloing vs meripos anyone?
3) Any other decision made on the basis of efficiency.

SMNburning does not reduce your skillset, but it also does not increase it. If you don't suck, SMNburning will not make you suck. If you do suck, SMNburning will no make you a good player - just a guy with a lot of 75s.

EDIT: Okay sweetie <3

Over generalising! I can do that too!

If you're all for efficiency in that case you have no problem with:

1. Buying gil, It's more efficient than farming it.
2. Ninja lotting items, it's more efficient than waiting your turn.
3. Any other decision made on the basis of efficiency.

My problem with smn burning is the cheapness of it. (Again, for the leecher not the summoner) Do you honestly think levelling a job to 75 was intended to be this short?

There's a big difference between getting a job from 1-75 (which is what the majority do) and simply getting 1 or 2 levels.
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-02-11 23:13:24  
If I say no will I get free cookies?

Same thing goes for if I say yes.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-11 23:14:19  
Flawed arguments! Wait, I try not to do that :(

1) Buying gil is against the ToS, SMNburning is not. There are various SS's of GMs backing this up.
2) Ninja lotting has negative consequences, both on you socially (shunned) and those around you (don't get their items). inb4 SMNburning has social repercussions, I find them misguided. Yes that can be construed as subjective, but that falls into a circular argument so let's try and avoid that pitfall.
3) If there's no moral, social, or legal repercussions, then yes.

Do I think it was intended to be this short? Hell nah. Do I have a problem with it? Hell nah. Does it honestly take you that damn long to learn how to play a job? What do you do when the job is played dramatically different at 75?
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-02-11 23:16:28  
I play as a BST... I don't get to do anything at 75. What is this endgame you speak of?
 Hades.Stefanos
サーバ: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-02-11 23:17:29  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
If that's what he means then I completely agree... but I don't think that's what he means. I think he means the skill to obtain it, which is questionable at best.

Yes I am =D

Gotcha then, carry on.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-11 23:20:17  
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
I play as a BST... I don't get to do anything at 75. What is this endgame you speak of?
lol >.< How about this?

Fenrir.Stiklelf
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-02-11 23:22:57  
That was neat song. Isn't monstersinc on fenrir?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-11 23:25:03  
I wish. Ramuh =\ I don't know if there are any pet shells still floating around on Fenrir or not.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8