Every Kiss Begins With Kay?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Every kiss begins with Kay?
Every kiss begins with Kay?
First Page 2
 Unicorn.Dulcinea
サーバ: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
By Unicorn.Dulcinea 2010-02-13 15:45:08  
Well it's nearly Valentine's Day, so I hope my man has gone out and bought me a diamond necklace or something else extravagant, or I won't know that he loves me. And oh no, what will I do to let him know that I love him? Oh, the stress, the stress!

/sarcasm off

Kay Jeweler ads make me feel sad for people.

"Every kiss begins Kay."

No, kisses between lovers generally begin with passion and love or, at the very least, lust that individuals feel for each other.

Even when it's simply lust and not a deeper, more complicated emotion, that's at least a legitimate and genuine, albeit usually fleeting, connection between people, and the kiss begins there.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not railing against gift-giving in general. If some gift is given, then sure, that's sweet if it's a genuine, affectionate gesture rather than one made out of obligation and brought about simply by the calendar date stating that it's time for a gift.

My sweetie and I give gifts to each other when there is something in particular that we would like the other to have. The only specific day that we tend to always give gifts on is each other's birthdays. But even anniversaries, we celebrate by doing the same fun things we are always doing together. It's awesome.

But back to my specific complaint, these Kay Jeweler ads insinuate that the kiss in question, which according to their slogan is every kiss, and by extension the love expressed by this kiss, centers on, and possibly would not exist without, the purchased gift given. This is what I take issue with. It's insulting to everyone.

These ads -- like any ads, but these just really irk me more -- feed upon insecurities and are carefully crafted to manipulate people.

People can be manipulated into feeling like their own natural expressions of love are inadequate, and on the other side of it, to feel underwhelmed by expressions of love not attached to pricey baubles.

It's in the best interest of the corporation that people question themselves and believe that they are not good enough if they don't do their best to recreate the picture painted in these ads, or to feel shafted if they do not have this picture recreated for them.

Let yourself be genuine, and appreciate what's genuine.

Basically that's all I'm getting at with all of this rambling, boys and girls.

Thanks for letting me use this space to get this little rant off.

Now, I GOTS TO GO because Anchorman is on. ^^

Sex Panther! "60% of the time, it works… every time."
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Mikania
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Mikania
By Midgardsormr.Mikania 2010-02-13 15:49:29  
I think NPR already beat you to it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122439522
[+]
 Diabolos.Ghlin
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-02-13 15:49:52  
the word kiss begins with K. i think that's what they're trying to say.
[+]
 Asura.Poupee
サーバ: Asura
user: Lian
By Asura.Poupee 2010-02-13 15:55:35  
Dont be jealous that other people have a valetine
[+]
 Asura.Obsydian
サーバ: Asura
user: Obsydian
By Asura.Obsydian 2010-02-13 16:04:49  
Diabolos.Ghlin said:
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-02-13 16:12:33  
someone didn't get jewelry I see... o.o
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-02-13 16:16:58  
Asura.Poupee said:
Dont be jealous that other people have a valetine
Asura.Poupe said:
jealous that other people have a valetine
Asura.Poupee said:
people have a valetine
Asura.Poupee said:
valetine
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-02-13 16:17:42  
Quote failure!

eject!!!!!!!!!!

fast edit xD
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-02-13 16:25:23  
Diabolos.Ghlin said:

Yes, but they're also using "K" interchangeably with "Kay Jewelers" implying that because the word kiss begins with the letter k, that the action of it should always begin with them. I have to agree with Dulcinea, these ads have irritated me for a long time.
[+]
 Diabolos.Ghlin
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-02-13 16:32:21  
so every kiss should begin with a kay jeweler.
 Siren.Ashkente
サーバ: Siren
user: Ashkente
By Siren.Ashkente 2010-02-13 16:45:43  
Diabolos.Ghlin said:
so every kiss should begin with a kay jeweler, being set on fire.

Fixed.
 Kujata.Erim
サーバ: Kujata
user: Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-02-13 16:53:13  
I'd prefer a wooden ring or something he put effort into over something from Kay Jewelers. It doesn't matter how small the item may be, from poems and hand holding to a gold band and a proposal, as long as there is meaning to it....

PS Diamonds are tacky
 Caitsith.Silvaria
サーバ: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-02-13 17:01:37  
I've never been a jewelry person, myself, so these ads never appeal to me. I'd rather have something like a romantic, home-cooked dinner, including dish clean-up, LOL...it may not be as "ever-lasting" as a diamond, but it would be far less expensive and far more intimate. 8)
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-02-13 17:03:19  
lol @ thread

if you don't like the ad or store
then don't buy their product and move on

when it pisses you off that they are doing business its either your too broke to buy their product or you just weird >.>
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-02-13 17:10:30  
Ramuh.Thunderz said:
lol @ thread

if you don't like the ad or store
then don't buy their product and move on

when it pisses you off that they are doing business its either your too broke to buy their product or you just weird >.>

or maybe the product is immoral as shown in the link from NPR earlier in this thread.
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-02-13 17:30:23  
Midgardsormr.Mikania said:
That's like your very own Philosopher's Stone! Who wouldn't want the blood of their enemies' innocent souls swirling around in a pair of classy earrings on date night?

POOR PEOPLE, THAT'S WHO.
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-02-13 17:44:02  
Seraph.Caiyuo said:
Midgardsormr.Mikania said:
That's like your very own Philosopher's Stone! Who wouldn't want the blood of their enemies' innocent souls swirling around in a pair of classy earrings on date night?

POOR PEOPLE, THAT'S WHO.

!!!!

Unicorn.Dulcinea
By Unicorn.Dulcinea 2010-02-13 19:43:23  
They are not simply advertising the fact that the word 'kiss' begins with 'k.'

They're not an episode of Sesame Street.

The company is marketing the idea that their product is synonymous with the kiss that 'k' stands for.

Nymphadora gets it.

I'm a little amused at the comment, "Someone didn't get jewelry, I see."

Unless it's simply a joke -- and I don't think it is -- it's sad that this person finds it incomprehensible that many girls actually don't require or desire that an obligatory gift be presented to them on a certain day just because that's the day on which it's supposed to happen.

My man and I will have a very nice day tomorrow because we're going to visit my grandmother and have dinner with her. That's always a great time because my grandma is awesome and tells the funniest stories and we always enjoy wonderful conversation. Neither my man nor I have any desire to "celebrate" Valentine's Day. It has no connection to us.

Later that night I'll probably make him his favorite cupcakes and I'm sure we'll ummm… "do it." But the reason that's probably what we'll do, is that I make him cupcakes frequently and we "do it" often, so odds are we will then too. It won't be due to its being Valentine's Day.

"When it pisses you off that they are doing business its either your too broke to buy their product or you just weird >.>"

To the above comment, I will respond that, well, I'm weird in the following way, among many others:

For the most part, I care about people.

If you don't see that this post was more about that than about my being "pissed off," you could possibly do with a little more insight.

Oh, and yeah the ethical issues associated with diamond/gold/silver jewelry is an important one but I didn't go into that because it has no bearing on what I was saying.

I would feel the same in everything I said even if Kay Jewelers became ethical and began using conflict-free diamonds and recycled gold and everything else, which of course it would be awesome if they, and all the other jewelers, did.

Again, that's an important issue, but unrelated to my point about obligatory adherence to calendar-enforced expressions of affection.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ceviilla
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ceviilla
By Bahamut.Ceviilla 2010-02-13 19:57:29  
Ramuh.Thunderz said:
lol @ thread
.. you just weird
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-02-13 20:01:25  
omg they're going to "do it" /gag lol

Just kidding of course, I wish I had someone to spend my V.Day with. :p

The business about celebrating V.day is something people bring up a lot with me. "We don't celebrate it because it's fake" "You should be able to express your love for someone on any day, not just V day". That stuff has always kinda bothered me to be honest, even if the expression of love SHOULD be able to happen any day, not celebrating V. Day in some small way seems kind of disrespectful to your significant other. This probably shouldn't bother me as much as it does lol...

Never kiss your partner without a jewel from kay jewelers in your hand btw
Totally disrespectful if you don't have one at the ready!
 Hades.Stefanos
サーバ: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-02-13 20:03:56  
Man where is the Family Guy pic of the diamonds commercial?

[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Sinharvest
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Sinharvest 2010-02-13 20:09:32  
I got my ole lady this, I dont agree with the whole diamond things or w/e, but its a nice day to give out gifts imo. Also, is it me, or does that bear look a little evil.
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-02-13 20:11:34  
lol his eyes are too close together, so it does make him look a little.... mean.

STILL, it's the thought that counts! I would love to be on the receiving end lol
 Bahamut.Ceviilla
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ceviilla
By Bahamut.Ceviilla 2010-02-13 20:17:37  
Edible Arrangements! Yum. Fluff the bears face up!
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-02-13 20:19:04  
The bear does look evil! :O

Cute gift though. Is that one of those edible bouquets made out of fruits? Those things are awesome!
 Unicorn.Dulcinea
By Unicorn.Dulcinea 2010-02-13 20:20:24  
Kujata.Erim said:
omg they're going to "do it" /gag lol

Just kidding of course, I wish I had someone to spend my V.Day with. :p

The business about celebrating V.day is something people bring up a lot with me. "We don't celebrate it because it's fake" "You should be able to express your love for someone on any day, not just V day". That stuff has always kinda bothered me to be honest, even if the expression of love SHOULD be able to happen any day, not celebrating V. Day in some small way seems kind of disrespectful to your significant other. This probably shouldn't bother me as much as it does lol...

Never kiss your partner without a jewel from kay jewelers in your hand btw
Totally disrespectful if you don't have one at the ready!

I'm not singling out anyone who has a fun Valentine's Day celebration with their sweetie and shouting, "Thou shalt not!"

I'm sorry if it's coming off like that. That's not my attitude at all. I don't think like that, nor do I have any pretensions of even being able to say "Thou shalt not" to anyone about anything.

I just wanted to say what I said about the Kay Jeweler ads and their slogan. And I did.

And I think it's sad when people do these kinds of things only on holidays, only for the reason that that's when they're supposed to. You know?

I just think people are too caught up in obligations and not enough in genuine feeling. I'm not speaking about my own relationship, but I have a lot of insight into this from close friends.

I guess I'm having a difficult time stating as clearly as I'd like, what I'm trying to say.

So, on that note, just forget I said anything. ^^

Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow, everyone. Mine will be lots of fun and I hope you all have a happy and fulfilling one too. But I also hope that the majority of all your days are happy and fulfilling too, not only the holidays.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-02-13 20:21:44  
I get the advertisement tactics, but in general I like the idea of jewelry as a special gift in a long-term relationship, so I'm split. In general I kind of hate popular advertising because it always feels like this devious coercion, but Mad Men is also one of my favorite shows so ..I don't know what the ***.

That Family Guy skit, however, is definitely great. lol
 Unicorn.Dulcinea
By Unicorn.Dulcinea 2010-02-13 20:22:27  
Fenrir.Abrupt said:
I think the OP is mostly aggravated by some company's cheap ***attempt to appropriate one of the more awesome facets of human relationships to try and guilt people into buying meaningless trinkets.

I'm not opposed to jewlery as a gift for someone you fancy, but diamonds are pretty tacky, as Erim said.

Yes yes yes! Said better in two short sentences than in all my rambling.

Thank you ^^
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-02-13 20:24:50  
Do you think "No kisses will ever begin with Kay~" is a better advertising technique?

Didn't think so. Businesses, no matter what they're for, will try something to increase business, not make them look bad.
First Page 2