フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD MDB/MDT- vs Ultima
PLD MDB/MDT- vs Ultima
First Page 2 3
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-04-10 23:24:01  
My Limbus LS are aiming to do Ultima and I'm looking for the optimum MDB/MDT setup for the run.

I've never done Ultima, so I'm making assumptions that it wouldn't be worth swapping out whatever Sword the PLD's have for an Iron Ram Lance (Damage -10%) when I made this gear setup.

I included NQ Rings/Earrings because I'm not sure how much money our PLD's have/want to spend on a setup for this fight.

I figure Resentment Cape would be better than Lamia Mantle +1, and wouldn't take too much effort to get.

What improvements (aside from HQ Rings/Earrings) would I be able to make to this set?
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-10 23:35:10  
It's pretty hard to beat what you have. The Bow, of course, can be HQ'd, and there's a lot of neck options with +Light Resist.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-10 23:35:17  
Obviously what is better kinda depends on how much you have of each.

Generally speaking from a purly dmg taken standpoint unless you are capping -MDT or have a negative MDB 1. So generally speaking you will block the most by getting to or close to the cap then doing MDB. Generally speaking the more MDB you get the less effective it will be. While the more -MDT gear you get the better it will be.

So I'd say Coral gear and Lieutenant's Sash probably do you more good. Probably doing askar feet in place. Avalon or valhalla in place of body. Valhalla in place of head. If you can't get your hands on Dring minerva or aegis I don't think you can't cap.

gear MDT caps at 50 btw
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-10 23:35:49  
Use the IR Lance. Assuming your tank party WHM is 5/5 Shellra V (they should be) that set will have capped MDT and enough MDB to sufficiently mitigate damage; have them wear an HP neck and Axe Grip as well.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-10 23:41:49  
Er nvm shell seems to go with the gear cap. Forgot about that. Assuming fully merited shellra V only need 23% from gear which you have on that set then load up on MDB. Random mnd wouldn't hurt either
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-10 23:44:07  
MND doesn't affect CB afaik.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-10 23:47:54  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
MND doesn't affect CB afaik.
Couldn't hurt as all magic dmg besides hp ones are int or mnd modded well rarely chr. Light based dmg generally is light. Granted something that powerful won't make that big of a difference. Would be like losing a couple of int on an AM2... but if you litterally have nothing else for that slot meh why not? Theoretically it might help resist rate too.

Also get someone to give you MDB!!! Whm, blu, cor, smn whatever
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-04-10 23:49:18  
Which is harder Omega or Ultima?
Only reason I ask is cause Omega seemed easy to tank so I'm assuming Ultima is harder?
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-10 23:50:44  
Omega can be done with about 4, Ultima can wipe a whole alliance if you're noobs.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-10 23:52:10  
Ultima's only noticeably harder if you lack a CB set or your support sucks. Stun Dissipation, Erasex2 after Chemical Bomb, good to go.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-10 23:52:36  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Which is harder Omega or Ultima?

Only reason I ask is cause Omega seemed easy to tank so I'm assuming Ultima is harder?
Omega hits a little harder has crazy counter and is much harder to avoid...

however unlike ultima it doesn't cast. It's moves tend not to hurt as much. Besides pod ejection it's moves seem completely tp based so if you aren't giving it tp or very little you can litterally go several minutes without seeing any move. OH and no citadel buster. That being said you can stun the hp moves easy. You can get it to the last bit with only doing like getting 2-3 normal tp moves. Really it's having an answer to citadel buster. Which takes alot of practice to stun or planning for to survive
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-10 23:55:41  
Oh and if you can find compentent ones and have room for that rdm/nins make good tanks for ultima
 Bahamut.Bojack
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-04-10 23:58:27  
Armor Buster can be pretty bad too lol.

Wasn't ready for it once. Dissapation was stunned at 19%. Immediatly after stun wore off he did Armor Buster twice in row, with not even an attack in between. Caught us kinda off guard and killed pretty much every DD and tank.
 Bismarck.Lesiel
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Irek
By Bismarck.Lesiel 2010-04-11 00:02:28  
magian moogle soulsaber can get MDB+5
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-11 00:04:38  
Btw, for those of you concerned, the setup I used to do Omega with 4:

PLD/NIN
RDM/WHM
SCH/RDM
BRD/BLM

BRD sticks ES Troubadour Elegy from the start, which gives a good 9 minute Elegy, RDM sticks Slow II and keeps it up, as well as Poison II and Bio II, SCH tosses up Cryohelix and basically waits on the PLD hand-and-foot, erasing debuffs, Paralyna, Stona, etc whatever is required. Haste, Marchx2, and the PLD/NIN should have no trouble besides the odd Colossal Blow or two, and Flash should take hate back easily from the SCH which likely has hate at this point. SCH takes the Gunpods when/if they pop, and nukes for the last 20%.

Setups that can/should be able to do this:

PLD/NINorNIN/DRKorNIN/WAR
RDM/WHMorRDM/SCHorWHM/SCH
SCH/RDMorBLM/RDM
BRD/WHM

We finished with just over 2 minutes remaining. Close fight but can be done.
[+]
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-04-11 00:06:02  
I keep on my BQ ring instead of a second Coral Ring. As long as CB does less than 2500dmg (before MDB/MDT), then that -3% magic dmg taken would reduce the dmg by less than 75hp.
 Siren.Mordekai
user: Shredda
By Siren.Mordekai 2010-04-11 00:12:26  
lol enternius has never killed omega with 4..... because well that setup will not work. Omega has 2 hate reset moves one for on all 4's(pile pitch) and one for on 2 legs(Colossol blow).

with out a stunner your mages would die and the Pld would be SOL. Sorry you've never done anything you say you have done.

For omega I have done with 6. It was WAR/NIN PLD/NIN x2 WHM BLM BRD. Was fairly simple but we had to on event stun the TP moves to make sure it was stunned every time. Brds gave plds march, whm and blm Ballad. whm hasted and cured, blm stunned and nuked on all 4's. War had bravura, DD'd on 2 legs.

Now for the topic! MDB is a proc, but can be beneficial. It's all on preference. MDT- can reach cap without aegis just need shell V and some decent gear with the stats. I'd suggest testing to see which you like more.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-04-11 00:14:53  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
however unlike ultima it doesn't cast. It's moves tend not to hurt as much. Besides pod ejection it's moves seem completely tp based so if you aren't giving it tp or very little you can litterally go several minutes without seeing any move. OH and no citadel buster. That being said you can stun the hp moves easy. You can get it to the last bit with only doing like getting 2-3 normal tp moves. Really it's having an answer to citadel buster. Which takes alot of practice to stun or planning for to survive

From kiting Omega regularly before... I dont believe its moves are TP based, either that, or he has a TP regen, because while kiting, he uses Colossal Blow every time you're in range, and uses Laser Shower very very often, with maybe 1 or 2 nukes being done between each.

If you're talking 4-legs mode, then I cant remember offhand, but remember there was a bit of wait between WS (then again my runs were PLDx2 BRD WHM RDM BLM so it was just us 2 PLDs DDing really).
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-04-11 00:15:20  
Well, I'd think of something better than the hate reset moves if I was gonna call someone out for something like that lol. I rarely see Pile Pitch on all fours, and normally the kiter is out of range before it goes. Colossal Blow is also not that hard to get out of range from either.
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-04-11 00:23:58  
Bahamut.Bojack said:
Well, I'd think of something better than the hate reset moves if I was gonna call someone out for something like that lol. I rarely see Pile Pitch on all fours, and normally the kiter is out of range before it goes. Colossal Blow is also not that hard to get out of range from either.
Ragnarok.Erikthecleric said:
From kiting Omega regularly before... I dont believe its moves are TP based, either that, or he has a TP regen, because while kiting, he uses Colossal Blow every time you're in range, and uses Laser Shower very very often, with maybe 1 or 2 nukes being done between each.

wut?

edit: Also, what does it matter if its its a hate reset move? Its still a WS is it not?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-11 00:29:30  
Ragnarok.Erikthecleric said:
From kiting Omega regularly before... I dont believe its moves are TP based, either that, or he has a TP regen, because while kiting, he uses Colossal Blow every time you're in range, and uses Laser Shower very very often, with maybe 1 or 2 nukes being done between each. If you're talking 4-legs mode, then I cant remember offhand, but remember there was a bit of wait between WS (then again my runs were PLDx2 BRD WHM RDM BLM so it was just us 2 PLDs DDing really).
Well I've litterally held it 5-9% with 0 direct dmg being dealt for 15 min without a tp move being used against us before. Unless you count pod ejection which is why we were holding it. We don't kite though. Just 2 nin/drks spaced decently apart.

Now when it is under 25% yeah just a couple of nukes is all it takes. Higher though it takes alot more to see a tp move. More consistent with normal tp gain. This is why I asked people to stop doing drain/bio (especially repetitious bioing). If anything I think that out of ranging it's moves doesn't take it's tp away and that when it's lower it has some kind of like +400 store tp or something crazy so each nuke gives 25-50% tp
 Siren.Mordekai
By Siren.Mordekai 2010-04-11 00:44:16  
Bahamut.Bojack said:

if you kite low man, you will run out of time, and Colossal blow is almost instant, show me how you outrun it please? Maybe if you didn't pld/dnc you'd know a tad more about your job. I'm sorry i thought i was talking to good players that could straight omega.

to add, I use the alternative route of elemental resist, for ouryu and tiamat. so a light resist for ultima is actually a great idea. :D MDT - is still awesome
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-04-11 01:01:51  
Siren.Mordekai said:
if you kite low man, you will run out of time, and Colossal blow is almost instant, show me how you outrun it please? Maybe if you didn't pld/dnc you'd know a tad more about your job. I'm sorry i thought i was talking to good players that could straight omega.
to add, I use the alternative route of elemental resist, for ouryu and tiamat. so a light resist for ultima is actually a great idea. :D MDT - is still awesome

1) You need to be good to tank omega?

2) If you don't suck you should be able to bash OR get away from CBlow/PPitch. Fight at max melee range, unlocked. and back up when you see it coming. Not hard.

3) A decent light resist build is far more difficult to put together than a decent mdt/mdb set, and has similar returns... why bother?

To OP, My Ultima set: When they get to CB time, they are gonna want to swap in the IR Lance, till then they can keep swords on. And what Dasva said at the beginning is pretty much spot on. Aim to cap MDT first, and then fill in MDB after.

Edit: and W.T.F. at knocking /dnc. Seriously? I can't be bothered to check your profile, but there is no way you can have dnc levelled as a subjob and think it sucks. How about you try it out then come back and comment.
 Siren.Shredda
By Siren.Shredda 2010-04-11 01:38:49  
to straight it low man yes you need to be good, and GL shield bashing a CB lol. Even if you land one, ive seen 3 in a row, what you gunna do then?

Bashing CB is possible but if you are tanking and counting shadows, you wont react fast enough usually
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-04-11 01:38:56  
Siren.Mordekai said:

I've kited low-man before, take it to 25% then kite after when its perma 2-legs. Could be straight-tanked, but its much much easier to kite imo. But what am I but a simple pld/dnc lols.

@ Dasva:

So you were talking 100% > 25%? I cant remember that part really offhand, if it spammed or not. But we /always/ had 2 joyeuse PLDs with DD gear to be able to melee, so that could be quite the TP feed that would make it WS more often.
 Unicorn.Mordekai
サーバ: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Mordekai 2010-04-11 01:50:05  
low man being 6... not 12 and I pld/rdm not /dnc.
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-04-11 02:06:53  
Who said anything about 12? lol

on track (which I forgot to talk about):

My mdef setup isnt too good, pretty average, aside from shadow ring, but its pretty much the same as all the other ones on here.

head: IR
ear 1 & 2: coral (should splurge for merman's lol)
body: IR
hands: IR
Ring 1: coral (now shadow ring)
Ring 2: coral (now merman's)
back: lamia mantle +1
Legs: IR
feet: Askar (havent spent points on IR feet yet so this does for me)
I bought Lamian Kaman +1 after my shell finished limbus, so I had NQ back then, and only had lance when I could borrow one (was too lazy to buy one <.<;;)

With galka HP and the gear I have, plus carbonara, I survived unresisted CB with 100 hp.
 Siren.Mordekai
By Siren.Mordekai 2010-04-11 02:55:14  
its a mix of MDB and MDT -, that works well!
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-04-11 08:26:48  
Siren.Shredda said:
to straight it low man yes you need to be good, and GL shield bashing a CB lol. Even if you land one, ive seen 3 in a row, what you gunna do then?

Bashing CB is possible but if you are tanking and counting shadows, you wont react fast enough usually

How many accounts do you need to post on o.O

And like I said. Max melee range, back up. Not hard, it has very close range on both moves.

You should have /rdm AND /dnc. Along with /blu /nin and /war. Knocking a sub that's commonly used without even trying it is just... well I suppose it makes sense for a Pld that still rocks a sattva.
[+]
 Cerberus.Neojuggernaut
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Neojuggernaut 2010-04-11 09:18:21  
Since being Galka, I have a fairly limitted MP pool. Even with Cor Roll and Refresh, I can't get enough per tic :P. So basically, my MDT set is like Altar's except I rep the one Merman Ear with Ethereal Earring. A good Citadel Buster can give me from 25-45 MP depending how hard I get hit.
First Page 2 3