フォーラム » FFXI » Endgame » Salvage/Assault » Nyzul Isle WHM vs RDM
Nyzul Isle WHM vs RDM
First Page 2
 Asura.Foxxy
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Foxxy
By Asura.Foxxy 2010-04-16 00:18:13  
So how come every time I do Nyzul Isle the leader makes me go red mage compared to white mage (/sch that is)?

Red Mage: Sleep 1/2, Refresh, Haste, Convert, Cures 1-4, Curga 1/2, Nukes, Dispel, A+ Enfeeble

Whitemage: Repose, Sleep(dark arts) Sublimation, Haste, Light Arts, Purney, CV, Cga4, Afflatus Solace, Stona, Esuna, Auspice, Stronger Bar spells, Cura

MP/tic
RDM Refresh+Sanction+ToAU ring=5
WHM Sublimation+Sanction+Nobles+ToAU ring=5

So the only thing i see that red mage has on whm is dispel and nukes, and in my experince my whm does much better job then rdm for it w/ stronger cures, Esuna(very good on Creb paraga spam), and curaga3/4 for strong AoE attacks

Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-04-16 00:23:42  
The only real reason I've ever preferred a RDM over WHM in Nyzul is in case you get a time-sink Flan floor. (EbonyPudding Defeat Specified) Skillchains and TIII nukes can help speed that up significantly.

Not a real issue with RDM-WHM but I also prefer to go DRK, and stun is one of those things that you really really, REALLY like to have (If your stunner is good, IE stunning Magma Hoplon) so Refresh is always a bonus.

The most likely reason however is typical, misguided elitist *** who only know how to do things 1 way and 1 way only.
 Odin.Ahligieri
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2010-04-16 00:27:31  
IDK I like to take both
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-16 00:30:10  
I like the enfeebles for any boss or tough mobs from rdm.
[+]
 Odin.Lowblow
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-04-16 00:30:27  
IMO either is good, but rdm is just the more safer route.
Rdm/whm gets stona, and all the curing you really need.
Most importantly proper sleeps (though you should nt need unless your run is full of aggroing idiots) and dispel.

I still prefer a SCH mainly for bosses. The AOE Paralyna's/ss's is nice.

Either way all mages work just fine in nyzul. :D
[+]
 Asura.Agmar
user: agmar
By Asura.Agmar 2010-04-16 00:31:34  
depending if whm have or not toau ring, for Nyzul i prefer play sam or cor. Very rarely i play whm (difficult sometimes to find an healer) (whm/smn) if people know their jobs, it works. But i prefer a rdm for Nyzul like you said : Sleep, Refresh, Haste, Convert, Cures 1-4, Curga 1/2, Nukes, Dispel, A+ Enfeeble
 Asura.Foxxy
By Asura.Foxxy 2010-04-16 00:31:36  
Ive never had a problem solo curing on whm, and usually the only reason people make me go rdm is the same "refresh orly" bs ... i get same mp/tic so that isn't an argument.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-16 00:32:13  
Not even a Vermy? At least idle in a Vermillion Cloak on RDM for 6/tic if you don't have DChap and/or ABody/Morrigan's. Bam, advantage! Convert's the equivalent another 3-6/tic on top of that depending on your merits and MP pool post-Vert. SCH and /SCH only get Sleep via Addendum: Black and you're on a 2 minute recast for Stratagems. A lot of WHM/SCH abilities/spells that RDM doesn't get are typically irrelevant for Nyzul. RDM enfeebles do a lot to smooth out a run at times, and nuking with excess MP saves time.

The real answer is it probably won't make a bit of difference because it's just Nyzul, but RDM is the more effective healer there 99% of the time.
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
サーバ: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-04-16 00:32:20  
your looking at it the other way around, should be asking what does rdm have that whm doesnt.

convert. i know a skilled enough group can do the 5x melee and whm like they/i have always done with rdm, but i think ppls biggest rationale is convert. theres nothing whm has that rdm cant have, that makes them a necessity for nyzul in particular anyway. klub drk 2hr and rdm cs cure can make minced meat of 100 bosses too ::shrugs::
 Asura.Foxxy
By Asura.Foxxy 2010-04-16 00:34:32  
Odin.Lowblow said:
Rdm/whm gets stona
wiki said:
Stona
Description

Spell cost: 40 MP
Spell element: Light
Target: Any, PC or allied NPC.
Magic skill: Healing Magic
Jobs:
White Mage Level 39
Scholar Level 50*
Puppetmaster's Automaton level 40†
[+]
 Odin.Lowblow
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-04-16 00:35:31  
oh dang, my memory slipped.

Either way, how often are you getting Petrified, does that justify whm over rdm ? lol i think not
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-04-16 00:38:59  
stona definitely is not necessary for nyzul.
[+]
 Asura.Foxxy
By Asura.Foxxy 2010-04-16 00:39:04  
Odin.Lowblow said:
Either way, how often are you getting Petrified, does that justify whm over rdm ? lol i think not
Heh it did lose the last nyuzl isle for my group ran outta time at 9% when couldnt stona for like 2~3 min.(edit cuz evil dakak(h/e you spell that damn dragon))
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Not even a Vermy?
nah i hate going rdm to anything so that wouldnt help my cause of not going it when ever i can
 Odin.Lowblow
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-04-16 00:41:01  
Im gonna add this, looking at your Avatar is enfuriating me, and i dont know why.
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-04-16 00:41:09  
whatever lost you guys 2-3 mins could of been avoided <.>, dont blame the stona lol..
[+]
By Mogley 2010-04-16 00:41:39  
Enfeebs,Convert,and the ability to Stack mobs with grav and sleeps make "All" Floors go very quickly. Dia III tears em up.
 Asura.Foxxy
By Asura.Foxxy 2010-04-16 00:42:02  
Odin.Lowblow said:
Im gonna add this, looking at your Avatar is enfuriating me, and i dont know why.
Buuuuuuut my avatar is amazing >.>
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-16 00:48:05  
Dahaks: It's a gaze attack, the fault is with your melee.

Vermy: If that's the case, why not just retire your RDM?
[+]
 Asura.Foxxy
By Asura.Foxxy 2010-04-16 00:52:06  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Vermy: If that's the case, why not just retire your RDM?

I wish people would stop making me go rdm lol, i try to never use it unless people make me, cuz imo whm cures better then rdm, and my blm nukes better ... ya ya i know rdm can do both but i try to not go it when i can
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-04-16 00:54:43  
so tell them to stfu. that you can do just as well on whm, and the first time being a lone whm costs the run, to just boot you for the cockiness ::shrugs::

ive lone whm'd nyzul runs on mules, so i KNOW you can too.
 Asura.Foxxy
By Asura.Foxxy 2010-04-16 00:58:29  
Caitsith.Blurr said:
so tell them to stfu. that you can do just as well on whm, and the first time being a lone whm costs the run, to just boot you for the cockiness ::shrugs::

I love your idea, and i have lone whm many times too, i aways feel i do a much better job then when i lone rdm
 Gilgamesh.Nezea
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Nezea
By Gilgamesh.Nezea 2010-04-16 01:13:58  
Quote:
SCH and /SCH only get Sleep via Addendum: Black and you're on a 2 minute recast for Stratagems

SCH main has 1 minute recast on charges and will always be subbing /RDM...Addendum: Black not necessary in this case. There's also Enlightenment for the rare situation where you actually "need" Sleep II without having to change grimoires.
Quote:

Well regardless, petrify can cause you a few problems if the boss is Khimaira. Generally it's not a problem if DD are killing reasonably quickly though.
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-04-16 01:16:08  
Asura.Foxxy said:
Caitsith.Blurr said:

I love your idea, and i have lone whm many times too, i aways feel i do a much better job then when i lone rdm

i was only half being sarcastic too. if ppl are insisting you do something a particular way(no one can FORCE you do to anything), and you know you can do whats needed of you just as well another more preferable to you way, speak up. just dont be surprised if you get a boot when/if what you thought you knew turns out to cost ppls time is all.

i personally mostly generally dont care what ppl ask me to play as, all my jobs are geared as well, as well indiscriminately annoy/pleasure me to play. i do know though, there have been times ive been like i can do just as well as x on y, and im geared/ready to go now, so. never really been faced with telling people to take it or leave it that i can recall either, but i know for sure i wouldnt compromise my own integrity for ffxi.
 Hades.Tripster
サーバ: Hades
user: Lisamarie
By Hades.Tripster 2010-04-16 08:26:22  
Quote:
Quote:

Well regardless, petrify can cause you a few problems if the boss is Khimaira. Generally it's not a problem if DD are killing reasonably quickly though.

Khimaira uses Fossilizing Breath, wich is conal Petrify. If all DDs knew about this, they would stay in the sides if they didn't have hate. Since the hate is usually on a SAM, and SAMs have Overwhelm merits, they should be the ones to be hit by the petrify.

So if you're a DRK, MNK, WAR, THF and DRG killing a Khimaria in Nyzul Isle you should always try to stay on the sides for not being hit with petrify. Unless you have hate.
 Odin.Trelan
user: trelan
By Odin.Trelan 2010-04-16 08:31:44  
Well the way you have to rush up, it's nice to beable to convert, especially when you get to the boss floor and time is running short. No time to rest.
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-04-16 08:40:16  
Hades.Tripster said:
Khimaira uses Fossilizing Breath, wich is conal Petrify. If all DDs knew about this, they would stay in the sides if they didn't have hate. Since the hate is usually on a SAM, and SAMs have Overwhelm merits, they should be the ones to be hit by the petrify.

So if you're a DRK, MNK, WAR, THF and DRG killing a Khimaria in Nyzul Isle you should always try to stay on the sides for not being hit with petrify. Unless you have hate.

WAR REPRESENTIN :D!

Often times in my nyzul set, I would tank on WAR/NIN. I have enmity+4 in merits and various others (Gaxe STR etc etc). A SAM in my group had 5/5 overwhelm, so he was almost /always/ behind me to keep it active on WS. When fighting Khim, I would've rather had a WHM there, but then again most of my pts were set up as:

WAR SAM MNK RDM WHM DRG

Sometimes the DRG, or myself would swap to BRD, but rarely ever did that. We had a very successful run as well. We rarely ever, if ever, failed due to wipe, or timing out, after reaching floor 100.

IMHO: It doesnt matter which you have, as long as they can keep up the MP to do their job. It also depends on how your group clears floors. If you have to fight every living mob in a lamps floor... urdoinitrong
 Valefor.Argettio
サーバ: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-04-16 08:41:14  
Personally I did 0-100 with 2 RDM and 4 DD.

We did it this way so we could split into 2 equal teams (1RDM and 2DD) for some floors. That and no one had BRD leveled.

I think we failed to clear 5 floors twice from 0-100.

Nyzul isn't hard, and within reason you can take anything you want and still do well so long as your members don't suck. Our normal DD arrangement was SAM, MNK, BLU and THF. But often our SAM can RNG just for fun and some times our BLU came DRG. Neither of these things overly affected us.

Now if you want to clear 10 floors per run, then you really need to consider what jobs you take.

The key to nyzul always has been and always will be, taking 5 non-HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE players with you
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-04-16 08:49:48  
Valefor.Argettio said:
The key to nyzul always has been and always will be, taking 5 non-HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE players with you

exactly what i meant to say :D
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
サーバ: Sylph
user: Katniss
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-04-16 09:50:19  
I personally ALWAYS try to get a RDM AND a WHM for Nyzul Boss runs. No need for a BRD lol. Have the RDM nuke / sleep / enfeeble / haste / refresh and help curing and the whm can focus on curing etc (and sleep undeads).

Of course I would do runs with a brd / whm or brd / rdm duo too - and SV for boss is cool. But usually the brds dont have their 2 hour ready, especially if you do multiple runs or w/e.

But I personally prefer WHM + RDM duo, especially for floor 100.
[+]
First Page 2