The US Military And Global Warming

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » The US military and global warming
The US military and global warming
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Quetzalcoatl.Taberif
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Taberif
By Quetzalcoatl.Taberif 2014-11-30 21:17:43  
comparatively the waste bio degrades much faster than say a lead-acid battery
By Jetackuu 2014-11-30 21:18:01  
I am going to guess he meant naive stupidity. He probably doesn't, at least the naive part.

edit: on another note, that movie is a good "litmus test" of sorts to measure that very subject.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-30 21:22:23  
When you got nothing else attack a spelling mistake. Stay classy guys.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-30 21:24:20  
When you're feigning intelligence, you should use spell check.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-30 21:25:53  
You confuse things you don't comprehend with "nothing else" but hey.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-30 21:27:44  
Odin.Jassik said: »

It's not even spelled wrong, it's just redneck grammar.

Hey mine's not the best in the world, but I at least attempt to use proper tense, and will take the burn if I *** it up when I'm running my "mouth" but what'do you do, eh?

Let's continue the nuclear talk and storing energy issues, they're at least fun topics.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-11-30 21:40:49  

Almighty Mr. Intellectual here. Stupidly and Stupidity both pass the ole spell check. Just saying when you go bashing intelligence please get your facts straight.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-30 21:47:51  
He got ya there!
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-11-30 21:58:30  
Go farm for an airship Buttmonkey, don't waste your time in here
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-30 22:01:37  
Go back to Dragon Age before I get my bear mace.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-30 22:08:40  
Altimaomega said: »

Almighty Mr. Intellectual here. Stupidly and Stupidity both pass the ole spell check. Just saying when you go bashing intelligence please get your facts straight.

Interesting.... See, the red squiggly line means it's misspelled, the green squiggly line means a grammatical error. Both are contained in the "spell check" function on my browser.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-30 22:20:43  

Interesting.... See, the red squiggly line means it's misspelled, the green squiggly line means a grammatical error. Both are contained in the "spell check" function on my browser.

The Grand assumption that my spell check browser and your spell check browser are the same in a world with SO many options really says that your a *** retard and use/need grammatical error check as well as spell check. THEN have the audacity to call out other peoples spelling and grammatical errors! (insert hysterical laugh here) /throws down keyboard and walks outta the room.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-11-30 22:33:26  
your
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-11-30 22:36:50  
Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
your

You need the green squiggly line to figure that out like Jassik does? If not you win and I bow to YOUR grammar Nazism.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-30 22:39:49  
Whose grammar nazis?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-11-30 22:49:36  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Whose grammar nazis?
Sweden's

[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-30 22:58:12  
your

You need the green squiggly line to figure that out like Jassik does? If not you win and I bow to YOUR grammar Nazism.

Both of my grandmothers were English teachers, I rarely need spellcheck, anyway. But, that's irrelevant. You make no attempt to use proper English in your rants about how stupid others are. It would be comical, if it wasn't such a glaring indication of your poor education.

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

I'm not. There are 3 browsers anyone actually uses and they all have native spellcheck functions.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-11-30 23:01:29  
your

Both of my grandmothers were English teachers, I rarely need spellcheck, anyway. But, that's irrelevant. You make no attempt to use proper English in your rants about how stupid others are. It would be comical, if it wasn't such a glaring indication of your poor education.

Really it's just pure Michigan orneriness. If you really want to have a good time let him think you're from Ohio
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-12-01 01:41:12  
And now we're fighting over grammar. Keep those P&R expectations high, people.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-12-01 02:49:58  
Actually, we're ridiculing Altima for yet again interjecting into a topic he knows nothing about.
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
サーバ: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2014-12-01 03:14:56  
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
your

Really it's just pure Michigan orneriness. If you really want to have a good time let him think you're from Ohio

I laughed about the Michigan part. I am from Ohio I think he might be sour osu crushed Michigan in our recent game. Every state is unique for sure. I do not patronize about grammar. There is more important things to worry about that involves our lives everyday. Languages do change over time.
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
サーバ: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2014-12-01 03:32:29  
Quote:
“If there one word to describe agriculture the last 10 years it is volatility, both in weather and markets and those two things are related.”

Screw fuel prices skyrocketing and more rules and regulations that cost mass amounts of money to enforce, let alone what they costs the people that produce the food. "Will just sum it up in one word that has nothing to do with either"

This entire article is full of half truth and propaganda. I pity the people that believe it.

You're absolutely right about half truths and the propaganda part. I keep thinking back to what president John F Kennedy said

" for I believe in my heart the American citizens will act right when they are truly informed".

You can blame both social media and government for lack of transparency. The first amendment protects not only positive speech but also negative.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-12-01 05:21:14  
Quote:
This video is more believable and logical than anything you just said Pleebo.

He pretty much just proved my point. Everything I posted has a ridiculous amount of verifiable physics supporting it, absolutely none of require any assumptions of unproven "feed backs". All of it is open for examination, which it has. He didn't bother taking the time to read any of the information nor research the citations. He just respond with the generic "I heard this on BBC / Huffington" replies that aren't even the real AGW theory. Actual AGW theory is complicated as f*ck, the media heads distort and simply to the point of dishonestly whenever they make those little video's and try to sell it to the generic population. Currently understood physics doesn't support the notion that human created CO2 is having any significant impact on the planets average temperature. There simply isn't enough energy in the right places to do that. So instead AGW folks have to create new process's that creates that energy, and they do this without proving those process's exist in the first place. Whenever someone questions the verification of those process's they are attacked.

One of the links I referenced actually has a really nice breakdown of "current" AGW theory, and I say "current" because there are several of them that conflict with each other in how they explain away the current lack of warming. The biggest disqualifier of AGW theory is that real observation has proved it wrong. As modeled the earth should already be beyond the point of no return for runaway global heating. There should of never been a temperature plateau for nearly nineteen years, and definitely not the observed the cooling we have seen the last few years. There was an initial frenzy as AGW theorists tried to explain away all this until earlier this year when they just waived their hands and said "it never happened, the earth is still getting warmer".

We should focus on conservation and actually proved toxic materials, not a made up scare towards a harmless gas with the goal of limiting human growth.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-12-01 05:41:56  
What web browser has a native grammar check?
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-12-01 14:05:07  
Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Very simply, there is a finite amount of thermal energy being radiated into the earth from the sun.
Yes.
That energy gets absorbed and re-radiated but on different wavelengths. Different molecules absorb and re-radiate different wavelengths of energy, if a photon pass's through a molecule that isn't sensitive to that wavelength then it gets ignored and continues it's merry way.
CO2 has a few very narrow bands that it's sensitive to, otherwise it's transparent. It also shares it's primary emission range with H2O and the amount of H2O in the atmosphere is so great that it utterly dominates everything else.
As mentioned here,
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Well, the thing to keep in mind is that it affects both incoming and outgoing radiation.
In both cases, the thermal radiation emitted from CO2 is omnidirectional; like omnisexual, it swings all directions.

In other words, CO2 absorbs incoming solar radiation at particular wavelengths. When it re-radiates, it can radiate in any direction/orientation, including back out into space (if at the outer limit). So what you would in effect have somewhat of a thermal barrier in the upper atmosphere, where the likelihood of propagation of that particular class of radiation "downwards" (or towards earth) is relatively non-existent past some depth.

However, that neglects the absorption of all other forms of solar radiation by land and water masses, which achieve a certain temperature and radiate heat back outwards. This energy, which bypassed the upper layer of CO2 absorption, is in effect downshifted in wavelength to whatever the temperature of the land/water/air currently is. That radiation hits the internal CO2/H2O barrier, where the absorption/re-emission occurs. Like the upper barrier, the lower barrier has a very low probability of penetration for radiation in particular wavelengths, prior to being absorbed/re-emitted. Similar to how the upper barrier retards "downward" propagation, the near-surface barrier retards "upward" propagation. This retardation drives higher temperatures, creating more H2O, which enhances the retarding effect, or 'greenhouse effect'.
So, there's that.
There simply isn't enough energy in the right bands for CO2 to make the difference that AGW claims, it warms the atmosphere a few degrees total at best. H2O Vapor in the lower atmosphere is what creates our planets greenhouse effect, H2O in the upper atmosphere has the opposite effect as it reflects incoming solar radiation back into space before it has a chance to be absorbed and radiation. This is another fact that AGW theorists refuse to acknowledge, they treat all H2O exactly the same.
This is a strange claim.
As mentioned here:
if you look at the blackbody emission spectra for -93.2 to 0 to 56.7C (I've used recorded extreme temperatures for boundary values)(simple calculator here), you can see that they are in the range of roughly 16.1um 10.6um to 8.8um, respectively.
From the link above regarding emission spectra, a good amount of the temperature range below 0C is absorbed completely by CO2, while there is some (relatively minor, compared to H20) absorption at some higher temperature ranges.

http://www.randombio.com/co2.html

Quote:
How far does infrared radiation travel in the atmosphere before being absorbed? This is easy to calculate. From the extinction coefficient in Ref.[10], at the Earth's surface, 380 ppm CO2 will absorb half of the incident radiation within 133 cm (4.35 feet) and 99% of the radiation within 531 cm (17.4 feet). This is for infrared radiation at 4.2 microns. At other wavelengths, the extinction coefficient and the distance traveled will be different. (Note added 1/01/2011)
This site, as well as all of your sources, seems to neglect re-emission of IR radiation from CO2 after it has been absorbed.

Now the way the AGW theory attempts to "sidestep" thermodynamics is to claim that increased CO2 cause's a slight warming which cause's more CO2 to be out gassed from the Oceans along with more H2O vapor which leads to even more warming. They have yet to prove this or even experimentally demonstrate it in lab conditions, it's just "assumed" to be true.
Uh, what?
You can quite easily find the soluability of CO2 in water at various temperatures. It decreases (holding less CO2) as temperature increases.
It is also well known that vapor pressure decreases with increasing temperature.
The known physics says this can't happen, CO2 can't increase the temperature by a significant due to the energy balance issue
Where does it say that? What energy balance issue?
and from what we've observed H2O vaporization from the Ocean is balanced by additional high altitude cloud formations.
Who? Where? How?
Otherwise the earth would of gone nuclear back in prehistoric times when we were looking at 3000~5000ppm of atmospheric CO2.
Which is so far, the most pertinent point. And as you have noted, there are what can be considered normal or cyclical behaviors. There are other feedback/reactions; for example, oxygen and methane (an increase in oxygen can reduce concentrations of methane), volcanic events, etc. So good questions are: "What is different about these two times? What is the same? What are the potential impacts?"
Bad reaction is: "/shrug, it'll be fine, trust me."
Which brings us to the biggest issue of them all, "Climate Scientists" and most humans for that matter, take an extremely myopic look on the Earths history. You are under the assumption that a century is a "long time", you are very wrong. Planetary history, which includes it's climate patterns, is measured not in centuries or even millenniums, but in millions of years, sometimes tens' of millions.
Funnily enough, this is exactly backwards. The primary reason for concern isn't that a century is a "long time", it is that a century is a very short time when large scale processes are involved.

All those scary graphs that AGW folk like to show, they are all extremely dishonest because they are deliberately distorting the X and Y axis to give the false impression of this dramatic increase. It takes the Earth an incredibly long time to do anything, our entire existence has been nothing but an eye blink in comparison.
The argument that humans cannot influence the global environment to any scale significant enough to cause a noticeable impact is blatantly wrong. If we had a desire to, we could certainly generate significant changes to the climate and temperature.

So it devolves into an argument that humans cannot unknowingly influence the global environment. I wouldn't like to place a bet on that.

When viewed from the big scale it becomes apparent that nothing out of the ordinary is happening.
The only difference between now and ten thousand years ago is that we actually have the ability to record, compare and enumerate all the natural cycles and changes. They have always happened but we simply weren't capable of putting it all together and seeing the big picture.
Well, that's not necessarily true. It is almost an absolute certainty that all the natural cycles and changes haven't always happened. Since we have things higher than iron on the periodic table.
And here is a piece of that big picture

Historically speaking, CO2 levels are at an extreme low for our planet.
See above, regarding historic CO2 concentrations.

But hey I doubt your here for any kind of information or knowledge. Judging from your past posts and tone you just want to find some sort of niche or angle to use for ridicule. Exactly as I discussed in my earlier post, anyone who disagrees with your ideology is branded a heretic and treated as such, even when they present a multitude of information that casts doubt on the truthfulness of your ideology.
Presenting information isn't sufficient, in itself. Presenting coherent, peer-reviewed information is usually sufficient.
It isn't disagreeing with the ideology that is a problem. It is either misusing or misunderstanding the principles involved, and claiming this is proof against the current theory. By all means, lets have a discussion on the technical merits of the theories.
The information I posted today should at the very least cast doubt on the veracity of current AGW "theory" by the IPCC, Al'Gore and friends. There is more then enough information available to instantly dispel the "consensus" bullsh!t, and the "95% certain the science is settled!" nonsense.
Mmmm.. no.

Can you cite a peer-reviewed, published source (i.e. respectable), rather than some dude with a website?
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-01 14:16:33  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
And now we're fighting over grammar. Keep those P&R expectations high, people.

Bad grammar causes global warming.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-01 14:22:25  
I don't know how any can sleep at night with global warming running rampant through our city streets !
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-12-01 15:24:27  
So instead of refuting anything I said, you'd rather talk down to me in the third person like some catty high school princess. That's cool too.

This site, as well as all of your sources, seems to neglect re-emission of IR radiation from CO2 after it has been absorbed.
Basically. They start with a fundamental misunderstanding of the GH effect so of course their conclusions are incompatible with current theory.

on the periodic table.
Quote:
And here is a piece of that big picture

Historically speaking, CO2 levels are at an extreme low for our planet.
See above, regarding historic CO2 concentrations.
Another thing about that graph snagged off Wikipedia:
Quote:
Changes in carbon dioxide during the Phanerozoic (the last 542 million years). The recent period is located on the left side of the plot. This figure illustrates a range of events over the last 550 million years during which CO2 played a role in global climate.[22] The graph begins (on the right) with an era predating terrestrial plant life, during which solar output was more than 4% lower than today
Hmm, now why would one exclude such pertinent information?... I'll consider it an accidental oversight, but let it serve as a reminder to always consider data in its full context, Savael. It could lead to those uncomfortable moments where your links debunk your own claims.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-12-02 08:55:34  
Quote:
Falling oil prices show the "high risk" of fossil fuel investments compared with renewable energies, the U.N.'s climate chief said on Monday at the start of 190-nation talks on a deal to slow global warming.

The Dec. 1-12 meeting in Lima opened with hopes that a U.N. deal to slow climate change is in reach for 2015, helped by goals set by China, the United States and the European Union to cut greenhouse emissions, mainly from burning fossil fuels.

Christiana Figueres, head of the U.N.'s Climate Change Secretariat, dismissed suggestions that a tumble in the price of oil to a five-year low on Monday could brake hopes for a shift to renewable energies as a cornerstone of the climate deal.

Oil price volatility "is exactly one of the main reasons why we must move to renewable energy which has a completely predictable cost of zero for fuel" once wind turbines or solar panels were built, she told a news conference.

"We are seeing more and more the realization that investment in fossil fuel is actually a high risk, is getting more and more risky," she said, welcoming a decision by Germany's top utility E.ON to spin off power plants to focus on renewable energy and power grids.

Still, other experts said the oil price fall could slow some investments in renewables and may make fossil fuel exporters such as Russia and Saudi Arabia reluctant to make concessions at the climate talks, fearing they could undermine their earnings.

"It's hard to tell what the total net impact will be here," Alden Meyer, of the Union of Concerned Scientists, said after Brent crude fell as low as $67.53 a barrel, its lowest level since October 2009, before rebounding to settle at $72.54.

Delegates in Lima are due to work out elements of a deal due to be agreed at a U.N. summit in Paris next year as part of a U.N. goal to limit average world temperature rises to 2 degrees (3.6 Fahrenheit) above pre-industrial times.

CORAL REEFS

Temperatures have already risen by about 0.9 C (1.5F) and a U.N. panel of climate scientists says there are risks of irreversible impacts, ranging from damage to coral reefs to a meltdown of Greenland's ice that would raise sea levels.

"The window for action is rapidly closing," Rajendra Pachauri, head of the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, told delegates, warning of worsening disruptions to food and water supplies.

His panel says it is 95 percent probable that man-made emissions are the main cause of warming. And 2014 may eclipse 2010 as the warmest year on record.

The talks have been boosted after the United States last month agreed to cut emissions by 26 to 28 percent below 2005 levels and China agreed to set a cap on its soaring emissions by around 2030.

The European Union also aims to cut emissions by 40 percent below 1990 levels. That means that nations accounting for more than half of world emissions have set already goals.

"There is probably more of an opportunity here than there has been in a very long time," U.S. Climate Envoy Todd Stern told a briefing in Washington.
At climate talks, UN calls fossil fuels 'high risk' investment
By fonewear 2014-12-02 08:57:24  
That is it we all need to use wind powered cars.