フォーラム » FFXIV » General » ...FFXIV...PS3 Beta... Apparently "will not be"
...FFXIV...PS3 Beta... Apparently "will not be"
 Ramuh.Tousou
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-05-18 07:25:18  
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
To me, console controlers are much easier to use instead of randomly assigned keys on a keyboard (normally being WASD for movement).

But that's... That's not random at all!!! WASD is power! WASD is Universal! WASD IS ETERNAL!!!

XD

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-18 07:28:38  
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
for many of us tho, dubont, PS3 is the only way to go. (cuz we don't have much money to spend on a desktop/laptop that'll play FFXIV and we already have a PS3 since long ago)
If you could afford the price of a PS3 from "long ago," you can afford a desktop that can run FFXIV. If you can afford to keep buying games at 50-60 USD a pop for 20 hours of gameplay, you can afford a new desktop. I don't feel sorry for people who are willing to drop anywhere from 250 bucks (or thousands if you're one of the retards that bought them the first day it came out on E-Bay) on a console that can't evolve and can't be upgraded, then cry poverty. Stop investing your money in overpriced paperweights to play a genre of games that PCs rule the roost on, thanks. That being said, I would be thrilled if SE dropped console support completely. Consoles are shitty for MMORPG's. Consoles are extremely limited in what they can do, and with games getting bigger and prettier, they are using up more resources. Even your so-called "mini-computer" of a PS3 will be obsolete in a couple of years, and then, once again, you'll wonder why Final Fantasy fans can't have nice things, too.
that's the thing. many of use have to, you know, save money for college books, which range from 300-600 per semester. (I don't understand why my damn psychology book was 150$ >>) and instead of buying a new PC every year like PC gamers do (because, ya know, the hax you guys download mess up your computer as well as you wanting more and more), PS3 is the way to go for some people. I know many people who will buy FFXIV on PS3 and not PC because they don't have that good of a PC. (on FFXI and IRL)

Console MMOs (i've been engrossed in one for like 2 years. it's an old one called Everquest Online Adventures -PS2 =P) aren't as bad as they seem. EQOA wasn't laggy at all. Had a huge playerbase when i played (now, it's a ghost town on my old server.) Same concept.

My curiousity is this: how many PC players use a controler for FFXI/WoW/Other MMOs. I'm sure there are a good bunch. Those that are, are doing a Console MMO format =P

Also, to Tousou - It is possible to upgrade PS3/360 but only Sony/Microsoft can do that if you want it to be legal/legit.

honestly, i bet you PC>all people are all talk. you guys know you've partied with 360/PS2 players many times. Hell, i bet you have friends that are on 360/PS2. Get that stick out of your ***. nobody gives a ***if you spend 4k on a supercomputer to play FFXI (or even to play FFXIV).

About finding more sources: i briefly googled last night, got nothing. But as i said earlier, if someone can confirm/deny it via S-E, it'd be very much appreciated. I told dameshi (via aim) i wanna punch the idiot who made the article if it wasn't true.

ok, hold up. There is a big difference between wishing that square would make the game pc-only so that we can avoid being saddled with "ps3 limitations" several years down the line, and actively disliking console players. I'm not a WoW fan, but one has to admit that keeping the game pc-only has allowed blizzard to keep WoW a lot more current than Square has FFXI.

Sure i have friends that play on console. a lot of them are great people. My reasons for wanting FFXIV to be pc-exclusive don't have anything to do with some irrational dislike for console players.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-18 07:30:22  
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
That being said, I would be thrilled if SE dropped console support completely. Consoles are shitty for MMORPG's. Consoles are extremely limited in what they can do, and with games getting bigger and prettier, they are using up more resources. Even your so-called "mini-computer" of a PS3 will be obsolete in a couple of years, and then, once again, you'll wonder why Final Fantasy fans can't have nice things, too.
while the tone is a little aggressive, i absolutely agree with the sentiments
each MMO has it's lifespan. EQOA is dead. EQ is near the end, FFXI is getting near (i'm giving it 2 years tops)
FFXIV will end eventually. Everything with a beginning will have an end at some point of time. If Blizzard didn't make expansions, WoW would've ended by now. Aeon will end eventually. You get my point.

My point of view is that many people will buy it on PS3 reguardless what you want or don't want. Nobody knows how well it'll play on PS3 except the alpha testers. Maybe they're fixing it up for the beta to make PS3 play better than PC (if there even is a beta). To me, console controlers are much easier to use instead of randomly assigned keys on a keyboard (normally being WASD for movement).

that's just fine. i'm sure(as you mentioned earlier) that it's not much problem to hook a console-style controller to a computer(though i can't fathom how you play with one)

It's worth noting that Ultima online(released in 1997) is still running. Interestingly, it's pc-based.
 Ramuh.Kalyna
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-05-18 07:34:37  
Ramuh.Tousou said:
unlikely that "PS3 Limitations" would become a reality. That being said, I do believe the entire "Limitations" card is rather stupid. It's kind of like expecting SE to remake every FF with photo-realism and tons of shiny. The game being an MMO, however, I can see where people expect it to evolve with the times. And now I'm rambling...
absolutely agree.

honestly, i don't think anyone has reached "PS3's limitations" yet. FFXIII is proof. Besides the linearity (which i personally don't mind, i like a good story) the graphics are clean, especially since all that was shoved onto one blu-ray disc. It's probably one of the best graphically designed games i've seen to date for the PS3. With this in mind, FFXIV will exceed everybody's console mmo expectations and will prove that a 600$ machine can preform just as well, if not better, than the $3k Alienware counterpart.
By Eirinne 2010-05-18 07:36:52  
its true. you can can buy a computer for the same price as the console that's quite decent to play the new game on, and then have something to do everything else on as well, so that is not only thrifty but economical. Using a console means you only sit on your butt and play video games all day, at least if you have a computer you can do something productive as well that makes money to pay for things and be able to afford life >.> and some even come with free printers. Voila. Home office. I had to say that when I saw the QQing about money.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-18 07:37:23  
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
Ramuh.Tousou said:
unlikely that "PS3 Limitations" would become a reality. That being said, I do believe the entire "Limitations" card is rather stupid. It's kind of like expecting SE to remake every FF with photo-realism and tons of shiny. The game being an MMO, however, I can see where people expect it to evolve with the times. And now I'm rambling...
absolutely agree.

honestly, i don't think anyone has reached "PS3's limitations" yet. FFXIII is proof. Besides the linearity (which i personally don't mind, i like a good story) the graphics are clean, especially since all that was shoved onto one blu-ray disc. It's probably one of the best graphically designed games i've seen to date for the PS3. With this in mind, FFXIV will exceed everybody's console mmo expectations and will prove that a 600$ machine can preform just as well, if not better, than the $3k Alienware counterpart.

the question is not whether a $3000 computer outperforms a Ps3 now(incidentally, it does, by far)

the question is whether a $1000 computer will outperform a ps3 in 5-6 years(it will, by an even greater margin)

the ps2 still seemed quite advanced when ffxi was released, it's hobbling the game at this point
 Ramuh.Kalyna
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-05-18 07:48:25  
Ramuh.Tousou said:
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
To me, console controlers are much easier to use instead of randomly assigned keys on a keyboard (normally being WASD for movement).
But that's... That's not random at all!!! WASD is power! WASD is Universal! WASD IS ETERNAL!!! XD
what i mean is, all the random keys assigned to things like items, equipment, menu, quests/missions, so on. i prefer to use my keyboard to type and lay back and relax while exping. =P
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
ok, hold up. There is a big difference between wishing that square would make the game pc-only so that we can avoid being saddled with "ps3 limitations" several years down the line, and actively disliking console players. I'm not a WoW fan, but one has to admit that keeping the game pc-only has allowed blizzard to keep WoW a lot more current than Square has FFXI. Sure i have friends that play on console. a lot of them are great people. My reasons for wanting FFXIV to be pc-exclusive don't have anything to do with some irrational dislike for console players.
1. reason why WoW is still awake is because of advertising. whether it's hear-say of "OMG WOW IS AWESOME IT STOLE MY LIFE" or TV/magazine ads, it's all advertising.

2. how the hell do you know what PS3's limitations are? Besides, there's one thing you're forgetting. Sony can pull a M$ and allow upgrades, making it outperform the best computer. Yeah, in the future PCs would probably outperform it, but what PS3 has that PS2 didn't have is System Updates. keep that in mind also.
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
that's just fine. i'm sure(as you mentioned earlier) that it's not much problem to hook a console-style controller to a computer(though i can't fathom how you play with one) It's worth noting that Ultima online(released in 1997) is still running. Interestingly, it's pc-based.
it's quite easy to lol i have my controler (for FFXI) based off of other FF games. start - main menu x - menu/accept/talk (with attack, items and so on) square - cancel, R1/L1 - macros

and the best one - control pad - toggle party.
=P i use a PS3 controller via USB =3

Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-18 08:29:24  
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
ok, hold up. There is a big difference between wishing that square would make the game pc-only so that we can avoid being saddled with "ps3 limitations" several years down the line, and actively disliking console players. I'm not a WoW fan, but one has to admit that keeping the game pc-only has allowed blizzard to keep WoW a lot more current than Square has FFXI. Sure i have friends that play on console. a lot of them are great people. My reasons for wanting FFXIV to be pc-exclusive don't have anything to do with some irrational dislike for console players.
1. reason why WoW is still awake is because of advertising. whether it's hear-say of "OMG WOW IS AWESOME IT STOLE MY LIFE" or TV/magazine ads, it's all advertising.

wow's success, lack thereof, and contributing factors on either side are entirely beside the point. I said that wow's been able to keep up-to-date more easily than ffxi, that it owes that to being a pc-based game, and that's a true statement. I didn't say anything about it being the reason behind WoW's success. The fact remains, wow's interface is intuitive and heavily user-customizable, FFXI's is clunky, outdated, and not customizable at all, and it owes that clunkiness to being a direct console port.

That's why no one needed to make a third party program to address the wow interface, like we needed Aikar to make a 3rd party program to address the glaring flaws in ffxi's console-based interface.

I'm not arguing that wow is or isn't a superior game. I'm saying that it has an advantage in certain areas because of its PC heritage, and i'd like to enjoy those advantages in FFXIV.

Ramuh.Kalyna said:
2. how the hell do you know what PS3's limitations are? Besides, there's one thing you're forgetting. Sony can pull a M$ and allow upgrades, making it outperform the best computer. Yeah, in the future PCs would probably outperform it, but what PS3 has that PS2 didn't have is System Updates. keep that in mind also.

by looking at the easily measurable, inarguable specifications of its processor and video card. /facepalm

for god's sake. i can't believe i even bothered to answer that.

Ramuh.Kalyna said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
that's just fine. i'm sure(as you mentioned earlier) that it's not much problem to hook a console-style controller to a computer(though i can't fathom how you play with one) It's worth noting that Ultima online(released in 1997) is still running. Interestingly, it's pc-based.
it's quite easy to lol i have my controler (for FFXI) based off of other FF games. start - main menu x - menu/accept/talk (with attack, items and so on) square - cancel, R1/L1 - macros

and the best one - control pad - toggle party.
=P i use a PS3 controller via USB =3

i can't imagine living with the delay in manually selecting your macroes as opposed to instantly hitting the keys, but it obviously works for some people, there are console players out there who are much better than me, to each their own

p.s. it really doesn't matter. the fact is, SE made their decision long ago, and FFXIV is going to be tethered to the ps3 whether i like it or not
 Ramuh.Kalyna
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-05-18 08:54:29  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
by looking at the easily measurable, inarguable specifications of its processor and video card. /facepalm for god's sake. i can't believe i even bothered to answer that.
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
it's quite easy to lol i have my controler (for FFXI) based off of other FF games. start - main menu x - menu/accept/talk (with attack, items and so on) square - cancel, R1/L1 - macros and the best one - control pad - toggle party. =P i use a PS3 controller via USB =3
i can't imagine living with the delay in manually selecting your macroes as opposed to instantly hitting the keys, but it obviously works for some people, there are console players out there who are much better than me, to each their own
on #2 - Well duh, but my point is, devs haven't even pushed those limitations yet. The only time a dev has done that was Doom 3 (and that one had huge hype but not much hype anymore because it only played on the newest PCs, they did horrible on that because not everyone has the money for a new PC) again, finance is an issue here. the advantage of a console is same ***for years while PC owners have to upgrade hardware more frequently (or replace). Devs aren't going to be stupid and make FFXIV for PS3/360 like they did with FFXI for PS2/360 with many bugs and stuff like that. they fix it early so each system runs smoothly. If it's a sony or m$ problem, sony or M$ will do a system update if they want to keep their fanbase.

on #3 - honestly, there isn't any difference for macros. whether it's the fact you memorized a macro or if you have to search for them, it's the same delay. especially if you change your macros consantly (like i do) on what you're doing (like if i'm fighitng birds, i'd have Erase macroed because i Dia II as whm. if it's imps, i change Erase to Silena) sometimes it can be more than one thing (like my dynamis whm macros)

oh and i don't have cures macroed =P i manually do them and i do just fine that way. (my white magic is like this: cure1, cure2, cure3, cure4, cure5, cura, curaga and so on at the top =P)
 Alexander.Garlend
サーバ: Alexander
user: Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2010-05-18 09:12:06  
If they make FFXIV the same as they did FFXI then keyboard and mouse work fine on consoles. I play XI on ps2 with mouse and keyboard and it works fine.
 Ramuh.Kalyna
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-05-18 09:13:40  
Alexander.Garlend said:
If they make FFXIV the same as they did FFXI then keyboard and mouse work fine on consoles. I play XI on ps2 with mouse and keyboard and it works fine.
people underestimate MMOs for consoles. and shh nobody knows about using mouse+kb on ps2/360/ps3 don't ruin their moment
 Alexander.Garlend
サーバ: Alexander
user: Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2010-05-18 09:15:24  
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
Alexander.Garlend said:
people underestimate MMOs for consoles. and shh nobody knows about using mouse kb on ps2/360/ps3 don't ruin their moment

lol. I wish they'd learn it so we can get mouse n keyboard support for all games on consoles.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-18 09:16:35  
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
on #2 - Well duh, but my point is, devs haven't even pushed those limitations yet. The only time a dev has done that was Doom 3 (and that one had huge hype but not much hype anymore because it only played on the newest PCs, they did horrible on that because not everyone has the money for a new PC)

this is illogical. If you say that a 600 mhz processor can be good if you "push" it, fine. The thing is, when you "push" a 4 ghz processor, the results will be even better. Sure, doom 3 was ahead of the curve. It's not financially viable to release games at the bleeding edge of PC technology, fair enough. In 5 years though, even games well behind the power curve will have a serious advantage over the PS3, and no amount of "pushing" will make up the gap.

Ramuh.Kalyna said:
again, finance is an issue here. the advantage of a console is same ***for years while PC owners have to upgrade hardware more frequently (or replace).

Well, like you said earlier, duh. I don't think i ever argued that consoles were without advantages. I own a few. They are great for playing games that you play for weeks or months, and then put on the shelf. For MMORPG's, which have a lifespan measured in years(or even decades, in UO's case) PC's have a decided advantage.

It's like cars vs. trucks. neither is really better than the other, they just specialize in different areas.

Ramuh.Kalyna said:
Devs aren't going to be stupid and make FFXIV for PS3/360 like they did with FFXI for PS2/360 with many bugs and stuff like that. they fix it early so each system runs smoothly. If it's a sony or m$ problem, sony or M$ will do a system update if they want to keep their fanbase.

Not being stupid doesn't mean you can see the future. Future technologies are incredibly hard to predict. I don't think the Blockbuster Video founders were stupid, but blockbuster is all but bankrupt today. When blockbuster video first opened in 1985, you can't fault them for not seeing torrents coming. You can't fault kodak for not seeing digital cameras coming. PC's tend to have a much greater ability to incorporate and adapt to new technologies than than do consoles. Therefore, it's pretty logical to confine long-lasting games to adaptable systems.

Ramuh.Kalyna said:
on #3 - honestly, there isn't any difference for macros. whether it's the fact you memorized a macro or if you have to search for them, it's the same delay. especially if you change your macros consantly (like i do) on what you're doing (like if i'm fighitng birds, i'd have Erase macroed because i Dia II as whm. if it's imps, i change Erase to Silena) sometimes it can be more than one thing (like my dynamis whm macros)

oh and i don't have cures macroed =P i manually do them and i do just fine that way. (my white magic is like this: cure1, cure2, cure3, cure4, cure5, cura, curaga and so on at the top =P)

i believe you. it's just personal preference, i imagine.
 Ramuh.Kalyna
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-05-18 09:33:31  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
on #2 - Well duh, but my point is, devs haven't even pushed those limitations yet. The only time a dev has done that was Doom 3 (and that one had huge hype but not much hype anymore because it only played on the newest PCs, they did horrible on that because not everyone has the money for a new PC)
this is illogical. If you say that a 600 mhz processor can be good if you "push" it, fine. The thing is, when you "push" a 4 ghz processor, the results will be even better. Sure, doom 3 was ahead of the curve. It's not financially viable to release games at the bleeding edge of PC technology, fair enough. In 5 years though, even games well behind the power curve will have a serious advantage over the PS3, and no amount of "pushing" will make up the gap.
that's not really what i meant by pushing it to the potential. what i mean is, let's say, first only 40% of the graphics card was being used but now 80-90%. not making it 150%

look at PS1 games. first few years they weren't as good graphically and processing, but then they got better and started pushing the potential. Perfect example - Final Fantasy 7 to Final Fantasy 9 Transition
same with PS2 games. if you ever look at games, it was first a bit choppy like PS1 but then became much and much better. Perfect example- Dynasty Warriors 3 to Dynasty Warriors 5 transition.
now it's with PS3 games. right now, not many devs have pushed potentials of the PS3.

2nd to last paragraph: Exactly. Technology is hard to predict (which is why i think M$ is stupid with the "not making any more xbox systems and just upgrading 360s") i know PS3 won't be the last PS console, but i know it still has potential to use. it's not just a paperweight =P one reason: Blu-ray. this is the first game console with a blu-ray. blu-ray shows much clearer images (even on a laptop. my brother has a sony viao with a bluray player and holy ***it looks different than dvd).
while PC has the advantage of hard drives, PS3 has advantages of both a hard drive AND a blu-ray player. much more potential. (kinda like how on 360 you can load the game to the hard drive but play it via disc and it won't lag and won't have a long load)
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-18 09:52:15  
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
that's not really what i meant by pushing it to the potential. what i mean is, let's say, first only 40% of the graphics card was being used but now 80-90%. not making it 150%

look at PS1 games. first few years they weren't as good graphically and processing, but then they got better and started pushing the potential. Perfect example - Final Fantasy 7 to Final Fantasy 9 Transition
same with PS2 games. if you ever look at games, it was first a bit choppy like PS1 but then became much and much better. Perfect example- Dynasty Warriors 3 to Dynasty Warriors 5 transition.
now it's with PS3 games. right now, not many devs have pushed potentials of the PS3.

hmmmm... that's funny. this survey here seems to indicate that people are already experiencing framerate issues with some games, demonstrating that the ps3 is already being pushed close to its limit. In any case, it doesn't have 5 more years before devs hit the wall, any more than the playstation lasted 8 years after the release of ffxi.

That's all somewhat beside the point though, the fact is, even if the ps3 was 10 years ahead of its time, for PC players, an interface ported from a console will never run as smoothly as an interface designed expressly for a PC. As someone who plays MMO's on PC, of course i'm going to want the game expressly designed for the platform i prefer to play on.
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
2nd to last paragraph: Exactly. Technology is hard to predict (which is why i think M$ is stupid with the "not making any more xbox systems and just upgrading 360s") i know PS3 won't be the last PS console, but i know it still has potential to use. it's not just a paperweight =P one reason: Blu-ray. this is the first game console with a blu-ray. blu-ray shows much clearer images (even on a laptop. my brother has a sony viao with a bluray player and holy ***it looks different than dvd).
while PC has the advantage of hard drives, PS3 has advantages of both a hard drive AND a blu-ray player. much more potential. (kinda like how on 360 you can load the game to the hard drive but play it via disc and it won't lag and won't have a long load)

well, yes. i said the same thing in my earlier post. I would never call the ps3 worthless. It's awesome. It's just not what i want to be the base platform for FFXIV. But it doesn't matter what i want, because it's going to be anyway.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-18 09:54:21  
Sony claimed they didn't plan on having any new consoles for at least 10 years after the PS3 release. Considering it came out back in November of 2006, that means we still have 6.5 more years to go at the very least (They said at LEAST 10 years). AND we have to first survive the apocalypse in 2012 to get to that point.

Also note that i've never had a single framerate issue on any ps3 game i've had, so the poster above me will have to post some sources for me to believe that.

If you base FF14 on the current "norm" of the pc world, then it will be outdated in 2 years tops. You'd have to base it on high end pc's to make it adequate to compete with anything beyond that... Which they won't do. You simply can't sell that many games to the super geeks who have 15 computers that could overpower the pentagon.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-18 09:57:19  
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Sony claimed they didn't plan on having any new consoles for at least 10 years after the PS3 release. Considering it came out back in November of 2006, that means we still have 6.5 more years to go at the very least (They said at LEAST 10 years). AND we have to first survive the apocalypse in 2012 to get to that point.

Also note that i've never had a single framerate issue on any ps3 game i've had, so the poster above me will have to post some sources for me to believe that.

If you base FF14 on the current "norm" of the pc world, then it will be outdated in 2 years tops.

the word here is already a link to the survey

beyond that, i agree with your post entirely
[+]
 Ramuh.Kalyna
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-05-18 10:01:53  
Surveys don't show ***.
why?
1. it's not a random survey. not everybody who plays Assassin Creed participated
2. the survey showed only forum members, which isn't very random.
3. the Margin of Error is probably very high, seeing as only 165 people voted in it while Assassin's creed sold 1,013,883 PS3 copies http://www.simexchange.com/stock.php?id=97 so that 165 is only a bitter small fraction of total users.

and yes, if you like to play MMOs on PC, you'd like to buy it on PC but your OP showed you wanted it only on PC and flamed PS3 and 360 users (which are a fraction of your friends) show some respect for console MMO players.

(i'm honestly tired of console wars.)
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-18 10:19:13  
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
Surveys don't show ***.
why?
1. it's not a random survey. not everybody who plays Assassin Creed participated
2. the survey showed only forum members, which isn't very random.
3. the Margin of Error is probably very high, seeing as only 165 people voted in it while Assassin's creed sold 1,013,883 PS3 copies http://www.simexchange.com/stock.php?id=97 so that 165 is only a bitter small fraction of total users.

and yes, if you like to play MMOs on PC, you'd like to buy it on PC but your OP showed you wanted it only on PC and flamed PS3 and 360 users (which are a fraction of your friends) show some respect for console MMO players.

(i'm honestly tired of console wars.)

ok first of all, wait, what? did you read my post? i very specifically said that i had no problem at all with console users. that was the entire point of my post.
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
ok, hold up. There is a big difference between wishing that square would make the game pc-only so that we can avoid being saddled with "ps3 limitations" several years down the line, and actively disliking console players. I'm not a WoW fan, but one has to admit that keeping the game pc-only has allowed blizzard to keep WoW a lot more current than Square has FFXI.

Sure i have friends that play on console. a lot of them are great people. My reasons for wanting FFXIV to be pc-exclusive don't have anything to do with some irrational dislike for console players.

beyond that. you don't like one specific source? fair enough.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/The-Elder-Scrolls-IV-Oblivion/Oblivion-Frame-Rate-Problems/m-p/31784402

http://www.destructoid.com/assassin-s-creed-sucks-on-the-playstation-3-at-least-that-s-what-they-say-53989.phtml

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27078317

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNWlL8UNowE

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21172

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/playstation-3/bayonetta-ps3-spotted-with-framerate-issues.html

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/962/962499p3.html

...i could go on. again, i'm not bashing the ps3, it's great, i own one, but let's not pretend its running at less than half of its limit.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dierdreh
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Dierdreh
By Bismarck.Dierdreh 2010-05-18 11:10:56  
Ramuh.Tousou said:
Ramuh.Kalyna said:

But that's... That's not random at all!!! WASD is power! WASD is Universal! WASD IS ETERNAL!!!

XD

Agreed xD I was gonna say 'WASD' Isnt random! It has been made the standard for as long as I can remember.. well at least since the dawn of Half-Life anyway. <3 WASD forever!~
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2010-05-18 11:33:18  
The framerate stuttering issues are not always due to inferior hardware, or reaching the limit of the PS3s potential... The PS3 requires a vastly different set of coding and tools to make games that run on it. The 360 uses legacy DirectX code and it is easy to make games, and port them between the PC and 360. That's a strong selling point for developers who like money.

The stuttering and poor performance of some games on the ps3 can be attributed to developers not knowing how to properly code for, or not caring to optimize the code for the PS3 system.

DirectX games have been around for ages. People know the code well, and have learned what runs smooth, and what leads to Crysis meltdowns. We're just now starting to move into an era where the PS3 is starting to show its teeth. PS3 exclusives are (at least in the short term) the only games that will be able to show off the capabilities of the PS3. And yes, I believe we haven't quite maxed the PS3 out. The 360 is another story entirely.

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-18 12:02:27  
Asura.Catastrophe said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

As far as I can tell, WoW is pc exclusive and really hasn't looked much better than the "limitations" it was implanted with.

Either way you look at it, any MMO developer doesn't really want to retexture its game regardless of the limitations it has or hasn't. So the fear of "limitations" issue is a bit silly and debunked.

Except that they are re-texturing it.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/news-2/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm/

Blizzard is completely revamping Azeroth.

[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-18 12:24:07  
A. first you said they wouldn't retexture it. now you're saying the retexturing won't bring it into the next generation. backpedal moar

B. How about we wait and see the results before we judge whether it's a facelift or not

i would LOVE to see SE try to pull off the same thing with ffxi while it's shackled to the ps2

i'm not talking about the 40 millionth reskin of existing zones. i'm talking about a massive, fundamental alteration of many existing original zones, a reworking of the entire landscape

Asura.Catastrophe said:
So the fear of "limitations" issue is a bit silly and debunked.

...right.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dubont
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-18 12:40:19  
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
[ With this in mind, FFXIV will exceed everybody's console mmo expectations and will prove that a 600$ machine can preform just as well, if not better, than the $3k Alienware counterpart.
Im going to stop you right here. Alienware is ***. They were bought out by dell and the company is slowly starting to fall. My laptop ($1.2k) performs better than any alienware that was out at the time. My desktop (self-built for around $570ish) performs better than my laptop and PS3. Granted, I only use my desktop for FPS b/c its way over there ---> and i don't feel like going over there everytime I want to play FFXI...but back to the point. You can build a very nice PC for LESS than what a PS3 costs and actually have it run BETTER than a PS3.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2010-05-18 12:45:53  
I'm not sure about being able to build an entire gaming PC for less than the cost of a PS3 nowadays...

The PS3 is down to $300 now, right? With rising component costs on the PC front, it's getting to be a tough battle to keep your PC cost below that $300 mark. It can be done, but sacrifices must be made. I doubt anyone can build an actual "gaming PC" for under $300 now though. You can build a decent mid range for that price though, for sure.
 Leviathan.Dubont
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-18 12:54:32  
true but I was just making a point. You don't have to be a rich *** to get a comp that runs better than a PS3.
 Phoenix.Teguri
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Talran
By Phoenix.Teguri 2010-05-18 12:59:28  
Oh hell, PS2 is a whole different beast, the issue there would be more drive space, and how the game runs I imagine...Consoles are designed more like computers nowadays, so PS3 shouldn't have these problems as you can install the game to the HDD and update all the content. Heck, you wont upgrade hardware really, but you shouldn't need to. Since generally, MMOs don't stray too far from their initial spec requirements (Played EQ, AC, WoW, and 11 for a long time, never really had to upgrade to install an expansion or anything, just for new games). Now design of the interface is one thing I would be worried about. As long as they build the interface up for each version (PS3 and PC respectfully) I imagine there shouldn't be any problems... Personally I'm going to have a copy for me and my wife, likely one on PS3 and one on PC. Anyway, point being, This shouldn't be an issue for the current generation of consoles upgrade-wise, hell I can still play WoW, although with low settings, on my first AC PC(built in 98 I believe) (´・ω・`)