Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-18 13:23:40  
Asura.Catastrophe said:
Lol. I'm not even being rude about this and people are getting all defensive.

Your argument is based on the limitations of hardware (see: FFXI and PS2) for the engine/look/feel of the game. You're nitpicking an unofficial article for the sake of argument. All I am saying is that they're not updating their game outside of the limitations they've already set.

Really?

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html

straight from the source.

Blizzard said:
What are the system requirements for World of Warcraft?
Note that due to the evolving nature of the game, the minimum system requirements for World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King may change over time.

blizzard seems to hold the exact opposite opinion

Asura.Catastrophe said:
Either way you look at it, any MMO developer doesn't really want to retexture its game regardless of the limitations it has or hasn't. So the fear of "limitations" issue is a bit silly and debunked.

lollllllllllllllllllll

you done?
 Caitsith.Neonracer
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-05-18 13:36:33  
Lakshmi.Ezekryu said:
Consoles MMORPGs simply don't mix. I'm glad that they're building it up as a PC platform game and then porting it to console, which is the opposite of what happened with FFXI. Hopefully we won't be seeing a return of "PS2 rimitations" but I'm not holding my breathe.

Edit: PCs are pretty cheap to build nowadays. Excluding my monitor, it took me a total of $450 or so (probably less) to build up a monster PC.

Yes This is True. Even a new low end, which I'm looking at and also if yo ubuy a nice ( not saying the BEST.. I said nice..) not expesive new PCI express vid card.. you are pretty much tight.

^^^ this will be me in 2 mos. I do need the upgrade for PC.
 Fenrir.Anberlin
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Kike
By Fenrir.Anberlin 2010-05-18 13:38:58  
All of this fighting is really pointless. Many of you fanboys (I'm sorry, but that's exactly what you are regardless of which side) are just talking to a brick wall.

In the end, Square Enix knows that it's profitable to develop the game for multiple platforms. This includes PC, PS3 and maybe even another console later down the road should it be released. It's given them more profits because of the wide customer base they tapped into to.

*The diehard $3000+ Alienware gamer who is knees deep in Sea, Sky and Dynamis.
*Little billy the 13 year old who only can play on his PS2.
*The frat in college who balances homework and Final Fantasy XI for the Xbox 360.
*The average joe who has a middle of the road PC but loves to level sync with his friends on weeknights.

All of these are people all over the world who have the ability to play because Square Enix didn't make Final Fantasy XI 'PC onry'. It's given the game a much greater user base than it would have had if it were only for the PC. I can't find a reliable platform ratio anywhere but if Square Enix wasn't willing to ditch the PS2 it has to be a good chunk of it.

While you may feel free to argue which is better, faster, more economical you have to remember that everyone has their own preference. It's like the undying Mac vs. PC arguments. What ever works for you shouldn't matter to anyone else.

If you are seriously concerned about the PlayStation 3 possibly creating limitations for your PC enjoyment 6+ years from release you should really consider a different game. Sorry that Square Enix is loyal and fair to their customers. It's comforting to me knowing that despite whatever platform I end up choosing, Square Enix won't abandon it.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-18 13:51:03  
Fenrir.Anberlin said:
All of this fighting is really pointless. Many of you fanboys (I'm sorry, but that's exactly what you are regardless of which side) are just talking to a brick wall.

you're not telling us anything we don't know

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
p.s. it really doesn't matter. the fact is, SE made their decision long ago, and FFXIV is going to be tethered to the ps3 whether i like it or not
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
I would never call the ps3 worthless. It's awesome. It's just not what i want to be the base platform for FFXIV. But it doesn't matter what i want, because it's going to be anyway.

Fenrir.Anberlin said:
While you may feel free to argue which is better, faster, more economical

and i do feel free to argue about it, even though i'm perfectly aware the outcome has already been decided^^

Fenrir.Anberlin said:
Sorry that Square Enix is loyal and fair to their customers.

lmao, tell that to a banned gardener or someone who had payment issues
 Diabolos.Ghlin
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-05-18 16:32:23  
skimmed the thread. anberlin gets it right imo.

i originally played FFXI on PS2. the selling point was that i wanted the HDD for RE Outbreak. but i love FF and got hooked. eventually got 11 on the PC. duo boxing for life.

anyways, i bought a PS3 to play PS3/console exclusives (read: FFXIII). I plan to own 14 on PS3 and PC just like how I have 11 set up here.

Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-05-19 11:20:38  
Ok, first of all, you won't need a $3000 dollar Alienware to play FFXIV, unless SE wants to repeat the same mistake SoE made with Everquest II. SoE released Everquest II where the recommended specs were far beyond the reach of the majority of their players, after advertising that it would be much less hardcore than the previous counterpart. So if SE did their homework, they aren't going to require you to buy a $3000 Alienware. (By the way, you can get the same specs on a different PC by a different manufacturer for half the price, and possibly less than that.) SoE's failure to meet their consumers' needs and limitations is why the EQ2 launch was such a failure. Someone on a mediocre computer at the time it was released couldn't run it.

WoW being released around the same time didn't help, but WoW uses much less resources than EQ2, so it was able to reach the much wider audience of economically middle-class players, and children.

PCs are incredibly cheap to buy nowadays, cheaper if you build one. I don't have the technical know-how to build one, so I bought one instead, and buying a PS3 + games + accessories would've costed me the same amount of money. The PC is the better investment. The specs I have now will allow me to game comfortably for a long time. Can't say the same for consoles, who are already reaching their breaking point, and are manufactured piss-poorly.

Ramuh.Thunderz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-19 12:09:28  
dude the f???? game is still on alpha mode. They are probably running out of time so they prob decided to skip on console beta

Bismarck.Awezomeos
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Awezomeos
By Bismarck.Awezomeos 2010-05-19 12:11:47  
Ramuh.Thunderz said:
dude the f???? game is still on alpha mode. They are probably running out of time so they prob decided to skip on console beta
and delay console release ; my guess
By Genesimmons 2010-05-19 12:22:48  
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-05-19 12:35:31  
One thing most gamers don't realize is that developers do not have freedom to develop games for whatever consoles they wish. Microsoft owns 360 development. Sony owns PS3 development. You don't just get to up and say "I'm gunna make a game for PS3."

They charge a tremendous amount of money, usually millions of dollars, to allow developers to make a game for their platform. Then they push their own developers, QA, and programmers into the process to make sure the game comes out in a way that meshes well with all the other games on their particular console. (Sony loses face for their console itself if a game for PS3 is released with poor quality control.)

How do you think 360 Achievements work, balanced across all games on the console? By designers from Microsoft coming in and telling the game developers how to design them. Etc.

They also have issues with duplicate functionality -- Microsoft completely shut down and then abandoned a 360 project I was working on because we had a Playonline style messaging interface, and they wouldn't allow it because it duplicated part of XBox Live's functionality. They're just like Apple in that regard. We also didn't want to have post-retail downloadable content, and Microsoft insisted we take parts of the game out and sell them separately as DLC to boost profits. (They get a cut of all game sales.) Sony is the same way.

It's far more likely that this decision by SE is business-driven rather than ideological. The console manufacturers could be dragging their heels or making trouble. They have never before allowed public "beta" copies of games on their current gen consoles in this manner, and probably want a bunch of special assurances and conflicting design directives. I know that most of the major MMO developers (Blizzard, Sony, EA, etc) have tried to develop console versions of their MMO's before and failed, because the business market is too complex and expensive.

There's also just the development problem of cross-platform titles. The PC and 360 at least share a common back-end: DirectX. But the PS3 shares nothing in common and the engine must be coded completely from scratch for their specific GPU's, unless you spring a cool $3M for a pre-built PS3 middleware engine like Unreal. It's not a "port," it's a rewrite.

Long story short: this was very likely not SE's developers' call.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-19 12:38:51  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
How do you think 360 Achievements work, balanced across all games on the console? By designers from Microsoft coming in and telling the game developers how to design them.

Was wondering this about PS3 trophies the other day. "How does the PS3 recognize trophies on a new game?" I guess it makes a little more sense but..
 Quetzalcoatl.Pirotese
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Pirotess
By Quetzalcoatl.Pirotese 2010-05-19 14:08:24  
Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie said:
Your first mistake is relying on Game Informer for accurate news.

this is the same mag that interviewed some noob on his 1250/1250 in FF11 on 360.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-05-19 14:37:11  
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
that's the thing. many of use have to, you know, save money for college books, which range from 300-600 per semester. (I don't understand why my damn psychology book was 150$ >>) and instead of buying a new PC every year like PC gamers do (because, ya know, the hax you guys download mess up your computer as well as you wanting more and more), PS3 is the way to go for some people. I know many people who will buy FFXIV on PS3 and not PC because they don't have that good of a PC. (on FFXI and IRL)

My last PC lasted me well over 10 years, with only 2 major upgrades: RAM and graphics card. I don't go out and buy a new PC every year to keep up with gaming, just as an FYI. I buy a PC where the technology lasts me for years to come.

So good job lumping all PC gamers into the CSS/Diablo II mentality of "more hax more hax more hax!!!!" Just because you expect shiny, pretty resource hogs to play on your obsolete system doesn't mean the rest of us are so disillusioned.
Quote:
Console MMOs (i've been engrossed in one for like 2 years. it's an old one called Everquest Online Adventures -PS2 =P) aren't as bad as they seem. EQOA wasn't laggy at all. Had a huge playerbase when i played (now, it's a ghost town on my old server.) Same concept.

As you said, EQOA is a ghost town now. Same concept and failed miserably.
Quote:
My curiousity is this: how many PC players use a controler for FFXI/WoW/Other MMOs. I'm sure there are a good bunch. Those that are, are doing a Console MMO format =P

Keyboard onry here. I never understood the need to juggle two pieces of hardware to play a game.
Quote:
Also, to Tousou - It is possible to upgrade PS3/360 but only Sony/Microsoft can do that if you want it to be legal/legit.

Which is precisely the problem here. You want to play an evolving game on a piece of hardware that can't evolve within the realms of ToS set for that console.
Quote:
honestly, i bet you PC>all people are all talk. you guys know you've partied with 360/PS2 players many times. Hell, i bet you have friends that are on 360/PS2. Get that stick out of your ***. nobody gives a ***if you spend 4k on a supercomputer to play FFXI (or even to play FFXIV).

Didn't you just lump all PC gamers into the category of "more hax!!!" and wasting our money on "super computers" every year to keep up with the latest trends and fads? You can't do that and piss and moan about the way PC players treat console players in the same breath. Sorry.

And no one advocated spending 4 grand on a super computer to play FFXI or FFXIV. You did. And you're wrong. We advocated you can build/buy a PC for the same amount of money you spent on your PS3, since you bought it long ago.

On that same token, no one gives a ***you have to budget in books for school, but managed to buy yourself a PS3. Take your own advice and get that stick out of your ***.
 Kujata.Akeda
サーバ: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-05-19 15:15:09  
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Ok, first of all, you won't need a $3000 dollar Alienware to play FFXIV, unless SE wants to repeat the same mistake SoE made with Everquest II.

They also messed up pretty bad by releasing EQ2 when EQ1 was still pretty active.
 Carbuncle.Heithem
user: Heithem
By Carbuncle.Heithem 2010-05-26 01:14:05  
OK I'm not going through 5 pages of crying to see if anybody told the truth. PS3 will be brought in on open beta.

Open Beta is a long way off. Closed Alpha isn't even close to finished. PS3 will have Beta time when the servers are up 24hrs a day and all the servers for release are in place.
in other words. Ps3 is going to be a part of load testing the final product.
 Fenrir.Riousan
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Riousan
By Fenrir.Riousan 2010-05-30 02:02:34  
FFXI wouldn't be FF at all without the ancestry of console systems, so why should it be devolved to back to PC? This makes absolutely no sense. I'm more comfortable with the use of a console and a controller than a Pc relying on a key-board. Keyboard controller = carpal syndrome and using PC controller just flat out sucks ***.

PS3 is better than 360 because if the experience I noticed on call of duty games. There's less lag, less problems, and better speed loading times.

The console players have a place to say just as much as Pc. I am not looking forward to change my gameplay style just to sit at a computer chair and staring at the screen too close and too tiresome from the bright screen, utter bull ***. Lap top you say? Hell no. There's enough applications on here let alone software that slows down all other aspects of the game itself!

[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-30 02:14:42  
guys, feiwong has spoken. consoles it is.
[+]
 Asura.Daleterrence
サーバ: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2010-05-30 03:22:42  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
guys, feiwong has spoken. consoles it is.

No. =P
[+]
 Leviathan.Dubont
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-30 03:27:50  
Consoles = single player games, fighting games, racing games, 3rd person shooters, etc.

PC = FPS, MMO, RTS.

FF14 will be on PC for me. Everything is just a lot easier on PC than it was on PS3 (for me anyway)
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-05-30 04:14:34  
From what I've read and heard, PS3 Beta will be during Beta Stage 2, when the game is "Complete". I don't recall any intent to drop the PS3 beta plans. Apparently there will also be an open public between 1month-2weeks before commercial release.

As for console limitations, yes, it is an issue. But Square has more experience with developing MMO within very aged hardware. It's nothing short than a miracle of data compression and optimization that FFXI even runs on a PS2 now. If anyone can make a great MMO on a console, it's going to be square, and not even Blizzard can boast a successful Console MMO. The Xbox360 might prove the biggest chokepoint on FFXIV if it's allowed to be put on the console. Non standard HDD and limited memory make the 360 a terrible canditate to put a brand-new Persistant online game on. The PS3's hardware will likely stay ahead of "Console limitations" for a few more years, but eventually, it will reach that critical mass.
By Eirinne 2010-05-30 08:25:56  
from the message I received from SE about 4 days ago :

.."details regarding the test schedule for the PlayStation 3 version will be released by email at a later date"