Lost Finale: What Did You Think? (Spoiler Alert)

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Lost Finale: What did you think? (Spoiler Alert)
Lost Finale: What did you think? (Spoiler Alert)
First Page 2 3
 Cerberus.Rictor
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Spoon
By Cerberus.Rictor 2010-05-23 23:42:51  
Seriously, sideways timeline turned out to be a good story, but pointless in the end. And were Walt and Michael excluded from the cool kids' club for some reason?
 Bismarck.Altar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-05-23 23:45:55  
Michael is stuck on the island, they said that a few episodes back. I think the whole point of the Sideways bit was to just say again how important they all were to each other. Kinda surprised to see Hurley there though, figured he would stay on the Island forever.
 Cerberus.Rictor
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Spoon
By Cerberus.Rictor 2010-05-23 23:48:17  
The island being on the bottom of the ocean may have led to Hurley's being there. If the island was destroyed though, then Michael would have been off of it. At any rate, I'm upset as to the lack of resolution with Walt.

Edit: by the opening sentence about Hurley, I mean that he probably watched over the island for a few millenia, and then screwed up something big and wound up dead...somehow.
 Asura.Kalekka
サーバ: Asura
user: Kalekka
By Asura.Kalekka 2010-05-24 00:02:47  
My better half and I discussed a lot of the "lack of resolution" for some of the characters. Like Walt, for example. When Locke showed up at the church he asked Benjamin if everyone was there yet. and ben replied with "most of them." That completely leaves it open ended to explain why some may not have shown up there. For whatever reason. Either Desmond or Hurley couldn't get through to them, they aren't dead yet, etc... We don't have any clue on the timeline for some of the deaths, so who knows. Miles could still be alive (I don't remember seeing him at the church anyway...but I was trying to battle a cat during the last 10-15min of the episode >.< i could totally be wrong), he could be dead and in some other place already...same for Walt, or any other numbr of characters.

personally, i loved the ending. it wasn't perfect, but it was good and well written imo.
[+]
サーバ: Hades
By Hades.Blackenedsoul 2010-05-24 02:07:17  
Probably a long way off BUT the reason Hurley is there is because Jack didn't do that whole chant thing before he gave him the water, Like Jacob's mum did to Jacob etc etc, which would explain why Walt wasn't there because Hurley could of died of old age? Or something along those lines I guess?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-24 02:10:56  
I think the story writers were lost, as they had no idea how to make a decent story.
[+]
 Valefor.Ryukuro
サーバ: Valefor
user: Ryukuro
By Valefor.Ryukuro 2010-05-24 04:43:39  
All....Dead.... how gay =(
 Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Kunimitsu
By Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu 2010-05-24 06:16:46  
I watched it on a stream on justin.tv because I dont have sky tv, with about 10,000 other ppl. At the end, the comment box just filled with ppl who had no idea what happened. For somew reason so many pppl thought that they died on the plane at the beginning and the island was limbo, even though they explained perfectly clearly the island was real. Was just very annoying. lol
So I think some ppl werent there because they were waiting for someone else, or had already moved on. When HUrley ran into ana lucia and Desmond said she wasnt ready yet. Maybe she just had things more important to her than the island that she wanted to wait for, and maybe Michael and Walt were jsut waiting for each other and already went ahead. Or maybe they just asked for too much money to come back for the finale so they said *** you. lol
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-05-24 06:45:33  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
I think the story writers were lost, as they had no idea how to make a decent story.
 Alexander.Jukie
サーバ: Alexander
user: Jukie
By Alexander.Jukie 2010-05-24 07:07:00  
So like what actually happened? I've only watched the first episode so reading the last episode didn't make 100% sense (<.<) we're they dead?
 Sylph.Akibakei
user: Akiba
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-05-24 07:14:22  
They werent all dead. Sideways was a purgatory type place where each person had made some kind of sub-conscious life for themselves in order to find something they were missing in the real world, which is the Lostie world.

So when a person/spirit is ready to "move on" they always remember the most important people in their lives and they move on. They arent all dead, everyone dies at some point. NO matter when you died you still went to this purgatory place to wait until it was time to move on.

It was a way to show everyone was very satisfied with their life, that they loved and were loved and no matter when they died they always remembered and cherished the most important people in their lives. It's why Kate told Jack "I have missed you." This shows that some time has passed since she last seen him since she left the island and he died pretty much at that point.

Everyone dies is the point of the sideways world. But you always remember the greatest times of your life before crossing over to whatever afterlife you believe in. the Church was an all-church, it had symbols from many different religions as to not get in that debate.

tl;dr: everyone dies at some point
 Sylph.Akibakei
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-05-24 07:52:29  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Yeah, i mean it's not like it had great character development, complex story-lines, amazing supporting cast, well written dialogue, great acting, great visuals, and an engaging story of redemption...

oh wait, yes it did >.>
 Caitsith.Dryope
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Dryopae
By Caitsith.Dryope 2010-05-24 07:55:50  
I watched the first couple seasons but couldn't keep up with the show. I'm glad I didn't. I remember the producers swearing up and down they weren't in purgatory.

Way to lie guys :D
 Sylph.Akibakei
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-05-24 08:02:06  
>.< They werent in purgatory! If you didnt watch the final season then you have no idea that you are talking about, GTFO or watch it and come back.
[+]
 Caitsith.Dryope
By Caitsith.Dryope 2010-05-24 08:08:11  
Sylph.Akibakei said:
Sideways was a purgatory type place

I'd rather go through the lols that Heroes became again.
 Sylph.Akibakei
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-05-24 08:08:25  
do you know that Sideways is?
[+]
 Caitsith.Dryope
By Caitsith.Dryope 2010-05-24 08:10:52  
Hey I was a Lost fan. My little sister is a diehard but even she was a little disappointed at the finale. I think the name was very befitting for the show.
 Sylph.Akibakei
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-05-24 08:20:09  
If you do not know what "Sideways" is then you dont know what purgatory-type-place is. It was a narrative used ONLY in the final season. the rest of the show was lived, they werent all dead or all dreaming or whatever. It happened.
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-05-24 08:42:27  
IMO, People weren't in the church because they weren't ready to move on/accept that they were dead. We saw in the end just how difficult it was for Jack to accept it.
Things I would have liked to see though would have been more resolution on Walt, how/why Eloise left the island, and wtf MIB's name was!
I noticed Jack didn't say the chant, but Hurley got Desmond home somehow, I imagine that means Hurley got powers. Hurley could have gotten tired of living after a few thousand years and passed the responsibility on or something.
By Senara 2010-05-24 08:43:23  
I think it went out in typical LOST storytelling style. There is no exact answer. The minds of the viewers will decide for themselves the most satisfying answer.

Were they dead the entire series? The writers added some things at the end to provide this answer - the shoe handing on the bamboo while Jack lays back down in the same place the series started. The shot of the wreckage on the beach with no life in sight.

Or did they live on the island, brought there to protect the island and rid the world of the smoke monster?

I think their life on the island was real. I think their life trying to get rid of smokey, Jack's sacrifice, the plane taking off with Kate and Claire - was real.

I think the sideways was an alternative universe - that just as Christian explained - were people that had died. Before Jack. After Jack. And Jack - and they were all there becuase this time in their lives they were the most alive and meant the most to each other. They built the alternative universe as a place to find each other - before they move on.

What does that mean? Who knows? Means different things to each person - but it is the exact way LOST writers told the story - with ambiguities and questions with only a bit of hints at answers.

I loved it. Very satisfying to me. I'm okay with not knowing the real answer as the characters were the most important part of the story to me.
 Siren.Scottyb
サーバ: Siren
user: scottyb
By Siren.Scottyb 2010-05-24 08:43:56  
When Boon came to the side of the car I was absolutely buzzing his death was the saddest part of the whole series for me!

Also Charlie being my favourite character, I really enjoyed his flashback/memory sequence.

I thought that the finale left a lot unanswered but it was still a great ending to an amazing show.
 Sylph.Akibakei
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-05-24 08:52:19  
Well the good news is that some of the more minor mysteries will be solved on the Season 6 DVD set.

Oh, MIB doesnt have a name. His mother never named him when he was born so it just kinda stayed that way. She only had 1 named picked out, Jacob. Before that crazy woman killed her she said "i only had 1 name."

My favorite moment is when Claire and Charlie got together. I always loved Charlie and him ending with Claire was awesome.

Of course, I love that Jack sacrificed himself for the island and I love that Ben was reconciled. He and Hurley working together on the island and complimenting each other on being great "Number 1 and number 2." I was teary-eyed the whole time.
 Ifrit.Korebin
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Korebin
By Ifrit.Korebin 2010-05-24 09:37:17  
I would have to say overall i was pleased with the ending. Lost was the most captivating series i have ever watched and its bitter sweet for it to come to and end. The only thing that i didnt understand was that Jacob and the MiB were never allowed to leave the island, but in an earlier episode Jacob went around the word touching the chosen to bring them to the Island. How the hell did he get off the island and his brother couldnt?
 Asura.Kalekka
サーバ: Asura
user: Kalekka
By Asura.Kalekka 2010-05-24 09:41:20  
The only thing I truly felt was unanswered...Why was the island even there? where did it come from? where did the original people on the island come from? and Why did Jacob and MIB's "mom" insist those people were evil? ....and WTF was with the numbers, what was their purpose, where did they come from, and why were they impacting hurley's life so much? (missed an episode or two a couple seasons back when i was moving..so yet again, it's possible the question was answered and i see myself clueless atm)

Basically, the history of the island itself. But that's not a realistic question to be answered int he series...seeing as the series wasn't focused on that particular element. It's just MY personal curiosity that wants to know. I didn't have the chance to watch Jimmy kimmel last night to see the alternate endings or the cast "reunion"...so fo all i know, that question was answered and i just haven't seen it yet.

But in the end...not everyone will be pleased with how it all ended. some of us loved it, others hated it, some are disappointed, and some feel fulfilled. The writers can't please 100% of their audience. Personally, i loved it. I loved seeing Sayid and Shannon back together, I loved seeing Jack struggle to accept and let go at the end, I loved seeing hurley become the island's protector....not to mention charlie and clair.

i'm not sure that the idea of Hurley dying of old age is 100% accurate...i mean, Aaron was there, and we'd have to -assume- that Clair's baby wasn't old enough to die yet is Walt wasn't old enough to die (pertaining to a previous post in the thread). Sun was pregnant in this particular purgatory...so was their daughter dead or were they just trying to grasp at something they missed when they were alive?
 Bahamut.Ericcheco
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Checo
By Bahamut.Ericcheco 2010-05-24 09:46:37  
The writers explained that, that island wasnt the biggest focus at all, It was the characters and there storeys that they wanted to bring out.

Human instint- Good Bad, All sorts of Religous Belifs. It was a great ending.

A road with a lot of holes but it still got you to where you wanted to be.
 Lakshmi.Snuffy
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Snuffy 2010-05-24 09:48:56  
I stopped watching the show at the beginning of Season 4 because I was getting frustrated with the exponential rise in mysteries and cast without any hint of resolution. And around that time, Battlestar Galactica's series creator and producer came out and said he didn't have the mysteries of that show already resolved in his head, so I figured the series ending would be total crap and a giant "U MAD" in my face, which it definitely was.

As for Lost, I remember fans asking them if the island was Purgatory and if they were dead and they specifically said no. From what you guys are saying they lied. I'm glad I didn't invest time in the series like I wasted with BSG. I mad, still.
 Bahamut.Ericcheco
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Checo
By Bahamut.Ericcheco 2010-05-24 09:52:33  
Yeah it was kinda like purgetory, but not really. They didnt have to prove themselves to go to hevan, they just had to remmember what they did and why, so they can move on.

It could be purgetory, who knows.

But the writing has more loopholes then the bible soo, cant really go to the bank with any of the suggestions
 Sylph.Akibakei
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-05-24 09:52:58  
Geez so many posters who didnt even watch the last season. the island was NOT PURGATORY! That was real. A narrative device used in the last season ONLY was a purgatory type place. A place used to show that you remember the people who meant most to you before you crossover to your afterlife.
[+]
By Senara 2010-05-24 09:55:41  
i really believe it was left with unanswered questions to allow your mind to imagine =)
By Senara 2010-05-24 10:05:11  
Akibakei i laugh everytime i see your avatar lol. thats awesome!
First Page 2 3