users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » The do's and Don'ts of certain jobs
The do's and Don'ts of certain jobs
 Unicorn.Smurfo
サーバ: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-01 12:03:05  
well, i see it as if the cor isnt doing anything between fights, what good are they? bards do tons of stuff and give as good if not much better buffs, I think cor should have to justify it's main jobs existence in my parties, and not worry about its subjob lol
 Carbuncle.Sterling
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-02-01 12:09:10  
As cool as COR looks, the job is kinda iffy imo. Yes, the buffs could turn out better than BRD, but the fact of the matter is that its completely dependant on luck. I think COR is the sexiest job in the game with an awesome storyline, but when it comes to usefulness... eh.
 Bahamut.Evilswine
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Evilswine
By Bahamut.Evilswine 2009-02-01 12:12:25  
always depends on situation. f.e. refreshing: you will want BRD and COR in a tank pt too always keep MP high, in that case its very useful
 Remora.Dubont
サーバ: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-02-01 12:14:00  
@ Smurfo: You haven't played cor much have you? Cor is not a brd. I can't stress this enough. Cor was given the ability to do dmg in exchance for fewer buffs BUT cor buffs rely on the members of the party. If you have no drk in ur pty, then yes a brd's att+ buff will definately beat out a cor's, but cor can MAB, Double att+, Crit+, conserve mp, etc. Cor buffs focus on certain points where as brd buffs focus on a general aspect such as acc att or haste. A cor that knows what they are doing does just as much as a brd. Brd can pull, cor can do dmg. Brd can assist heal, so can cor. Brd can buff, so can cor. Brd can sleep and dispell, so can cor. See my point?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-01 12:21:19  
Sterling said:
As cool as COR looks, the job is kinda iffy imo. Yes, the buffs could turn out better than BRD, but the fact of the matter is that its completely dependant on luck. I think COR is the sexiest job in the game with an awesome storyline, but when it comes to usefulness... eh.

Can Bards:

Give Additional 4-6 Additional TP a hit?
Give -50% Spell Interruption Rate?
Give Magic Attack?
Give Magic Accuracy?
Give Subtle Blow?
Give Critical Hit Rate?
Give Additional EXP a fight?
Give Conserve MP?
Give pet Accuracy?
Give pet Attack?

etc, etc.

No, they can not.

Not to mention the usefulness of some of these buffs. Pet Accuracy and Pet Attack are fantastic for high level fights, given that Summoners are the best hate free form of damage. Subtle Blow most certainly has its uses as well, such as Salvage bosses or Yovras. No need to make any comment as to why Magic Accuracy and Magic Attack are excellent buffs. Heck, even Choral Roll (Spell Interruption minus) has its uses.

Agreed, some of them are situational, but they're pretty unique and, when the situation arises, fantastic.

Even some things Bards can do, Corsairs do better. In a single buff Hunter's Roll gives Melee Accuracy and Ranged Accuracy. Chaos Roll gives Melee Attack and Ranged Attack. To do both of those, Bards need to cast different songs.

With the optimal job in the party or the Commodore Tricorne, these rolls actually surpass the Bard Songs in effect when you roll the Lucky number or an 11. Granted, this requires luck, but there is a trick in skill to achieving whatever rolls you want. Corsairs who continously bust just aren't doing it right.

Perhaps the only thing that Corsairs can't do (yet) is Haste the entire party like Bards can. I'm tired of this sheer ignorance over what Corsairs are capable of. It's one of THE best buff jobs in the game, people just don't give it a chance because they're familiar with the "it's an iffy job" stereotype.

On top of everything, we have Quick Draws, which offer a variety of effects, and we also have the added capabilities to DD up there with RNG's.

The biggest reason anyone has to dislike Corsair is because most people who level it think they can get away with not really giving a damn. When I levelled Corsair, and now with it at 75 for about two years, I really put my all into it. I literally fell in love with the job, and have since retired Bard out of refusal to play on it. I know my Corsair is better than my Bard. Nobody else can accept this because, as I said before, they have this false stereotype drilled into their head. The only time I've taken Bard out since retiring is when we've really desperately needed March.

Corsair's a great job. Pity to anyone who thinks otherwise.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-01 12:39:49  
Wooooodum said:
Sterling said:

Can Bards:

Give Additional 4-6 Additional TP a hit?
Give -50% Spell Interruption Rate?
Give Magic Attack?
Give Magic Accuracy?
Give Subtle Blow?
Give Critical Hit Rate?
Give Additional EXP a fight?
Give Conserve MP?
Give pet Accuracy?
Give pet Attack?

etc, etc.

No, they can not.

Not to mention the usefulness of some of these buffs. Pet Accuracy and Pet Attack are fantastic for high level fights, given that Summoners are the best hate free form of damage. Subtle Blow most certainly has its uses as well, such as Salvage bosses or Yovras. No need to make any comment as to why Magic Accuracy and Magic Attack are excellent buffs. Heck, even Choral Roll (Spell Interruption minus) has its uses.

Agreed, some of them are situational, but they're pretty unique and, when the situation arises, fantastic.

Even some things Bards can do, Corsairs do better. In a single buff Hunter's Roll gives Melee Accuracy and Ranged Accuracy. Chaos Roll gives Melee Attack and Ranged Attack. To do both of those, Bards need to cast different songs.

With the optimal job in the party or the Commodore Tricorne, these rolls actually surpass the Bard Songs in effect when you roll the Lucky number or an 11. Granted, this requires luck, but there is a trick in skill to achieving whatever rolls you want. Corsairs who continously bust just aren't doing it right.

Perhaps the only thing that Corsairs can't do (yet) is Haste the entire party like Bards can. I'm tired of this sheer ignorance over what Corsairs are capable of. It's one of THE best buff jobs in the game, people just don't give it a chance because they're familiar with the "it's an iffy job" stereotype.

On top of everything, we have Quick Draws, which offer a variety of effects, and we also have the added capabilities to DD up there with RNG's.

The biggest reason anyone has to dislike Corsair is because most people who level it think they can get away with not really giving a damn. When I levelled Corsair, and now with it at 75 for about two years, I really put my all into it. I literally fell in love with the job, and have since retired Bard out of refusal to play on it. I know my Corsair is better than my Bard. Nobody else can accept this because, as I said before, they have this false stereotype drilled into their head. The only time I've taken Bard out since retiring is when we've really desperately needed March.

Corsair's a great job. Pity to anyone who thinks otherwise.

The thing of it is this though:

The only things that truly matter in a TP burn merit party that a buff job does is give haste, attack and or acc and the ability to PULL fast, aswell as sleep mobs if needed. in order to get the omfg 100+ chains. And all these things bard excels at, some of them are 'iffy' on cor, especially a random pickup cor, cor's dmg that bard doesn't do is by far not it's saving grace if it cant pull to keep the high chains.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-01 12:42:54  
I agree with that.

I would never expect a Corsair to main pull, or ever imply they can as fast as Bards. Sad truth is they can't. I thought I mentioned that, but in my rant, I obviously missed that out. So that's Haste and fast pulling that Bards can do better than Corsairs.

It seems that the majority of Corsairs are really gimped for damage dealing. Hardly anyone ever seems to acknowledge them as one.

Makes me sad! I just hope when I finish Ranger it doesn't make my Corsair obsolete.
 Odin.Liela
サーバ: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-02-01 13:25:06  
I realize my corsair is only level 20 and therefore I am certainly no expert on it. But when I get it up, I do plan to sub ninja. The ability to duel-wield status daggers alone makes me willing to sub nin, and on my 75 ranger, every time I do not sub nin I die, so having another 'squishy' dd without shadows makes me a bit twitchy. If I know I am going to pull hate, and if I know that I can't take a few hits, then what's wrong with subbing ninja?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-01 13:36:39  
That won't be a problem until 56+ when you learn Slug Shot. There's just not a weapon skill before then that will pull hate from tanks, and if you do, they're not very good. Sadly Corsair's damage dealing days doesn't start until they get Slug Shot. Even with piercing bonus on Colibris, damage is still terrible until 56. Damage per bullet, however, is still pretty good with the correct gear.

Before 56, I subbed ninja when I had to pull. Other than that, I subbed Ranger for the accuracy boost and Sharp Shot.
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
サーバ: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2009-02-01 13:37:35  
Jimmyjazz's solution; befriend a COR and a BRD, bring them with you wherever you go!^^

BRD vs. COR; i think Wooooodum and Smurfo pretty much outlined it all. As a BRD there are many buffs a COR has that makes me feel small as well as some that are capable of surpassing potency of BRDs equivalents. When forced with the choice of one over the other I think it's important to evaluate your pt setup then decide which will benefit more.
 Lakshmi.Rylis
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Rylis
By Lakshmi.Rylis 2009-02-01 13:49:10  
Heh.. COR shouldn't fill a BRD's shoes in a merit party. It should fill a DD's shoes. And why? Because even if it doesn't do the same dps as true DDs, it *will* add that amount to the other DDs, on top of its own..

My COR isn't geared as well as I'd like.. Very much so, currently.. It's only been 75 for a couple of months, and it's been a secondary concern to my DRG.. So, most of its gear is AH or Dynamis.. And yet, when in a merit party, I can still WS for 800-1k, with occasional spikes around 1300 (Say, with Angon up, or Warcry, etc.)

With the right merits, and the gear, a COR can give fairly consistent buffs that are often comparable to a BRD, if not higher.. On top of being able to do damage.

Maybe you've got some stellar DDs, and they're exhausting birds' spawns? No problem, throw on Corsair's Roll, and watch yourself go right back up to 20k+ an hour, even without being able to constantly pull.. If not, FIghter's Roll for double attack is a good way to up the dps and TP rates of your party. Samurai Roll can really help in a SAM heavy group to push them to a 5-hit even with fairly crappy rolls. Chaos Roll, without a DRK should never be less than 10% att boost (unless the COR's a moron> and is more likely to sit closer to 20% (if not 25 and 31 with 4 and 11). With a DRK, or 1/3 of the time with Comm. Tricorne, you're looking more likely at 20% minimum and 35 or 41% with 4 and 11.. Minuet's hard cap is what, 60ish? What heavy DD doesn't have 400 attack or more? So that even without a DRK, you're likely to get nearly the amount of a buff the BRD would give.. And that assumes a pretty large boost to combined singing and wind..

And with a DRK, or 1/3 of the rolls, you're going to be getting at least 20% to attack, with fairly frequent 30% or more.. That becomes a ridiculous attack boost that isn't quite as random as people seem to believe..

Even if you were to look at COR as a pure refresher for a BLM party in end-game, a COR/BRD could almost guarantee the 3/tic refresh, and could spike to 6, on its own. Now, I'm not arguing the merits of COR/BRD, just mentioning the refresh.. And the COR could still add a MAB, Macc, or Conserve MP.. And this refresh could still stack with a RDM's refresh, and still works with Sublimation, the same as a BRD's.. And the COR could still sleep/dispel or DD with Quick Draw..

COR and BRD both have their strengths.. They are both technically support, but COR can be a little more varied in that role.. It can assist healing, it can add damage, it can still help with sleep staging or dispelling.. The BRD pulls ahead, for the most part, in a pulling role, due to the ability to haste their lullaby's recast, but for straight support, they're very comparable.. Their secondary roles are really the matter of contention, and they fill complementary spots in a merit party because you can still have 3 solid DDs, a healer (Who doesn't even have to be a RDM with COR and BRD refresh), a milder DD support and a puller support.. And your 3 DDs' capabilities will expand to fill the gap from both buffs..
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-02-01 14:37:29  
Dubont said:
@ Antipika: I have been a blm for 5 years. I know about blm/rdm and blm/whm. Blm/whm offers more of a party blm role and blm/rdm is more soloing.

A quick check at your FFXIAH shows your RDM is Lv.22 >.>

I'm aware this is 5 days old, and I'm aware you could have RDM to 37 by now.. but 5 days is far from enough time to be able to comment on a job's use in and out of a PT.. imo anyway.
 Kujata.Malicfayt
サーバ: Kujata
user: Malicfayt
By Kujata.Malicfayt 2009-02-01 15:23:17  
Read half so far... all i have to add is Im leveling Dark knight (is @ 40 now). no merits to benefit it at all.

I'm a drk/nin for the time being. Why? because i'm not gimp.

So honestly since my Food gear and apparent ability or inability as you may call it can hold its own, i see absolutely no problem in gimping my over all damage output to increase exp per hour by subing ninja. Berserk alone Makes me a mad MP sponge that in turn makes me feel like a terrible player.

Being a thief main I've always made it a point To deal the absolute most damage as possible, and allow heavier DD to go full out with no worry of dying (Accomplice, Collaborator ect.)while taking the absolute least retaliation from that mob as possible. This is my burn party mentality. Actually it always has been. If a job lacks the survivability that i do i take it upon myself to Share that with them.

/war may be better later or something. But right now no one seems to be able to handle it on my drk. not even myself

The rest i wont comment on... i retired my Cor @ like... 50ish something cuz i got poor awhile back feeding my crafting obsession.
 Titan.Azarasi
サーバ: Titan
user: azarashi
By Titan.Azarasi 2009-02-01 17:11:15  
Would be nice if in next update the beefed up the en-spells for rdm so they can do more damage. I do have gimpy basic DD gear when I have to solo because when I play RDM I focus on support which means back lining it. but I would like my en spells to do more the 12-13 a hit when I do solo, etc. Or the ability to cast it on others like how scholar can AoE it.
 Pandemonium.Daxia
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Daxia
By Pandemonium.Daxia 2009-02-01 17:22:41  
Ooo! Go have a pop about gear too!
You haven't said to us yet what gear we can and can't use!

>.>
 Fairy.Budoukiba
サーバ: Fairy
user: Budou
By Fairy.Budoukiba 2009-02-01 18:01:01  
Wow really. Don't post subjects regarding how people play the game. Granted some job combinations may not be the best depending on the situation, but it's a GAME. People who post things like this take this game -WAY TOO SERIOUSLY-. I actually left a linkshell because they made fun of me for playing WHM/NIN. No, I don't use that job combo in parties, or serious situations. Just for fun, give us a break.
 Caitsith.Unafae
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Unafae
By Caitsith.Unafae 2009-02-01 18:01:16  
OMG lol blm/whm is bad for soloing ur nuts! so u complain about all blm/rdm all in a mana burn but u want one to to be /whm to raise u well ummm yeah don't u wanna raise urself while ur soloing lol yeah lets just HP and waste all that xp we got. And seriously blm/whm may get a pt pre 50ish lvl but after that ur pretty much on ur own and if u gotta be a ghetto whm to be in a pt no thanks!
 Asura.Malekith
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-01 18:57:41  
Not sure why people have problem getting pt with BLM. I was able to pt up till 60 with people doing birds and puks. I wasn't back up heal, I was nuking in sync with SC's to MB. Something I doubt people do much anymore... Granted from 60-68 I was doing manaburns and solo/duo in ayedeewa. However once I was in range of Caederva Mire, I was getting pt invites again to nuke imps. 71+ back to manaburns over at Mount Z.

Really, you chose your sub based on the circumstances of where you're going to exp and who with. If you're counted on to nuke, OF COURSE sub /RDM. If you're in a burn, and most everyone is /RDM there's nothing wrong with going /WHM. Doing so benefits the group as a whole. Odds are that 5 of the people casting will do most of the heavy lifting. My only point here is that you do what's going to guarantee constant chains, and no stoppages. But hell if you're really hellbent on /RDM onrry and /WHM nevah, be prepared to HP/eat a rez1/be kicked from pt & forcibly repped... unless of course you had a RR scroll or item that was active...
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-01 19:19:42  
I for the life of me can't imagine why in the hell you would set up a manaburn party with 6 blms but that's just my opinion. Yah it works, but why not grab a sch brd or rdm to buff and or pull?
 Asura.Malekith
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-01 19:26:43  
Smurfo said:
I for the life of me can't imagine why in the hell you would set up a manaburn party with 6 blms but that's just my opinion. Yah it works, but why not grab a sch brd or rdm to buff and or pull?

SCH is fine now, back in the day there was no SCH so inviting them or not wasn't an issue. Now that they are around, I like having them AS LONG AS... they toss out accession either hail or thunderstorm or SS. I've seen to many SCH in MB setup that just self-buff and don't help the PT out when they easily can...
 Odin.Gaea
サーバ: Odin
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-02-01 19:37:30
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

If you are a red mage. Always sub nin, and always melee. Especially on HNMs, jailers, and gods. They particularly weak to it.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-01 19:39:17  
Gaea said:
If you are a red mage. Always sub nin, and always melee. Especially on HNMs, jailers, and gods. They particularly weak to it.

I lol'd!
 Lakshmi.Septroth
By Lakshmi.Septroth 2009-02-01 19:53:27  
Kario said:
I just want to point out, the 5yr BLM who knows all about /rdm and /whm has RDM @ 22.

EPIC FAIL
now we should never see him in this thread again
 Siren.Khellendros
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Khellendros 2009-02-01 19:58:51  
Gaea said:

Don't forget to use Blink instead of Utsusemi, it works WAY better. :D
 Cerberus.Cecilharvey
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Cecilharvey 2009-02-01 19:58:56  
Gaea said:

wow... he was serious? does he ?

& For Dubont... i don't get your point on this thread, saying which jobs should or not do things like use subjobs, i.e DRK should never use /NIN for me is like saying RDM should never /WHM.. i'll tell ya a good thing, all the subjobs are situational, no need to argue more >.>
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-01 20:02:28  
Cecilharvey said:
wow... he was serious? does he ?

/facepalm
 Lakshmi.Septroth
By Lakshmi.Septroth 2009-02-01 20:06:36  
Gaea said:

this EPIC FAIL is eaven better than the last one
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-02-01 20:07:14  
Intelligently debating various jobs and their play types: good!

Flaming into insults and swearing at another poster for absolutely no apparent reason: Jaerik will quietly nuke your post.

Keep it civil, guys.
 Siren.Khellendros
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Khellendros 2009-02-01 20:13:43  
Find us a relic holder that didn't get banned for duping and you can double burst it...