users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » DRK WS, Empy/Relic/Merit
DRK WS, Empy/Relic/Merit
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-01-12 06:59:19  
Every time I parse anything as DRK using Apoca, my Entropy avarage better than Cata, by a solid 200-500 dmg.
Avarage around 300 more I'd say.
Tbh, unless you do Ragnarok aswell, I don't think resolution would be worth doing, as you'll use Apoc way more than you'd ever use Calad.
I find myself only using Calad for procs now(It's just 85, so sucks a bit extra because of that, but still)
 Hades.Ferusio
サーバ: Hades
user: Ferusio
By Hades.Ferusio 2012-01-12 08:05:30  
Quetzalcoatl.Neisan said: »
Upheaval is best GA WS under Mighty Strikes, but other than that, it isn't really that much better than Raging unless you have near perfect set for it.

In spite of saying that I would drop meriting Resolution until you do get Calad/Borealis.
this makes sense when oat GSwrd is better than both...?
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-01-12 09:25:02  
Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Every time I parse anything as DRK using Apoca, my Entropy avarage better than Cata, by a solid 200-500 dmg. Avarage around 300 more I'd say. Tbh, unless you do Ragnarok aswell, I don't think resolution would be worth doing, as you'll use Apoc way more than you'd ever use Calad. I find myself only using Calad for procs now(It's just 85, so sucks a bit extra because of that, but still)

I would think if you triggered a 300% aftermath the 50% Double Damage would still make Calad viable on lower defense / lower evasion mobs (assuming you actually metal plated it). I don't know that for sure but I'd be open to the idea.

Hades.Ferusio said: »
Upheaval is best GA WS under Mighty Strikes, but other than that, it isn't really that much better than Raging unless you have near perfect set for it. In spite of saying that I would drop meriting Resolution until you do get Calad/Borealis.

That's a pretty broad statement. There's literally a 50 delay swing between the two and a 30 damage drop off on an A- weapon. Even the aftermath occurs more frequently than the OAT if you trigger it properly.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-01-12 09:54:06  
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
Every time I parse anything as DRK using Apoca, my Entropy avarage better than Cata, by a solid 200-500 dmg. Avarage around 300 more I'd say. Tbh, unless you do Ragnarok aswell, I don't think resolution would be worth doing, as you'll use Apoc way more than you'd ever use Calad. I find myself only using Calad for procs now(It's just 85, so sucks a bit extra because of that, but still)

I would think if you triggered a 300% aftermath the 50% Double Damage would still make Calad viable on lower defense / lower evasion mobs (assuming you actually metal plated it). I don't know that for sure but I'd be open to the idea.

Hades.Ferusio said: »
Upheaval is best GA WS under Mighty Strikes, but other than that, it isn't really that much better than Raging unless you have near perfect set for it. In spite of saying that I would drop meriting Resolution until you do get Calad/Borealis.

That's a pretty broad statement. There's literally a 50 delay swing between the two and a 30 damage drop off on an A- weapon. Even the aftermath occurs more frequently than the OAT if you trigger it properly.

Calad is a good weapon for sure, I'll probably upgrade it more eventually.
As for OAT GS, I belive Taint had a post in a thread (not sure which, maybe this? I'll look around) that stated OAT GS were stronger than Calad now, Ragnarok beeing the only GS that's better.
Not sure which level calad he used for that, I'll see if I can find the post.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/27678/drk-resolution-gs-builds/2/

This thread
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-01-12 10:14:26  
Not sure if he had OaT GS anyway since it wasn't mentioned, so as far as I am concerned, meriting a WS you will get use out of now > meriting a WS you may get use out of in the future.

It's not like you can't eventually change your merits later.
 Cerberus.Detzu
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-01-12 13:01:35  
Every time I parse anything as DRK using Apoca, my Entropy avarage better than Cata, by a solid 200-500 dmg.
Avarage around 300 more I'd say.
Tbh, unless you do Ragnarok aswell, I don't think resolution would be worth doing, as you'll use Apoc way more than you'd ever use Calad.
I find myself only using Calad for procs now(It's just 85, so sucks a bit extra because of that, but still)

Let's do some isgebind sometimes :)
[+]
 Asura.Arkanethered
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Arkanethered 2012-01-12 13:18:10  
Owning both the OaT and a Calad... Oat trashes Calad just as Taint pointed out in math earlier.

I have no regrets in making the OaT GS.
By volkom 2012-01-12 13:20:00  
Asura.Arkanethered said: »
Owning both the OaT and a Calad... Oat trashes Calad just as Taint pointed out in math earlier.

I have no regrets in making the OaT GS.

is that just from the absurd amount of melee hits or ws spam too?

thats mainly from all the melee hits and ws spam right?
 Asura.Arkanethered
By Asura.Arkanethered 2012-01-12 13:24:09  
I have parsed against other Calad drks. My Resolutions fall on average about 100-200 short of theirs. (I have acc issues as well / No stalwards yet)... Average hit ends up about 40 less.

Overall you end up with full tp before the animation ends and if you don't end up trying to proc you will almost double the amount of resolutions put out vs another GS.
By volkom 2012-01-12 13:58:54  
Asura.Arkanethered said: »
I have parsed against other Calad drks. My Resolutions fall on average about 100-200 short of theirs. (I have acc issues as well / No stalwards yet)... Average hit ends up about 40 less.

Overall you end up with full tp before the animation ends and if you don't end up trying to proc you will almost double the amount of resolutions put out vs another GS.

thats sounds weird to me :S that the ws damage is almost the same even with the difference in the dmg on the sword
 Ragnarok.Returner
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2012-01-12 13:59:50  
Have both as well, I approve the above post. In general, you WS about 5-10% less compare to all other GS, but you WS ALOT more.

I also have been spamming souleater as much as possible so the more WS I spam, the more use out of it I get.

The only downside with OAT GS is that the more WS you do, the more you are subjected to that 2 sec delay following each WS, so in the end, that brings the gap closer between WS usage. However, VW does offer a very balance fight where OAT just about always will be the best option since you are still getting hits in between WSs to take advantage of the OAT.
By volkom 2012-01-12 14:00:37  
guess I have to make one now :3
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-01-12 14:06:54  
Back to Kvazz's comment:

Tbh, unless you do Ragnarok aswell, I don't think resolution would be worth doing, as you'll use Apoc way more than you'd ever use Calad. I find myself only using Calad for procs now(It's just 85, so sucks a bit extra because of that, but still)

Once I finish Apoc, am I going to be using resolution over cata/entropy for..... anything? I'd prefer not to build OAT gs when I already have calad if I'm never going to use it :|
 Ragnarok.Returner
By Ragnarok.Returner 2012-01-12 14:07:55  
The WS damage is almost the same because the STR modifier is 100%.

Do the following math:

104 + 19 + (200 x 0.85) vs 120 + 21 + (200 x 0.85)

It represents:

Base damage of OAT GS + fstr of OAT GS + WSC vs Base damage of Caladbolg + fstr of Caladbolg + WSC

WSC is the same for both weapons obviously since you will be WS in the same amount of STR, and you can see it is more than half of the formula (brave drink makes it even bigger portion in the formula as you will have more STR). In the end, it is 293 vs 309 so it is a 5.4% difference in damage from 16 base damage. It is also why lvl 95 Ragnarok wouldn't WS too much harder as base damage is really less than half the formula.
By volkom 2012-01-12 14:10:15  
:S

now i wish even more for torcleaver to get a buff lol
 Fenrir.Skarwind
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2012-01-12 14:11:39  
I might put my Caladbolg at 90 but I'm 3/10 Krab Shells atm 12/20 Mikey nuggets.

150 Riftsand is much cheaper then 1500 plates(Those go towards Ukon anyways) I plan on using both when ever I need a playstyle change. Caladbolg for fast swings and heavy DoT, or just OaT for Resolution spam
 Asura.Arkanethered
By Asura.Arkanethered 2012-01-12 14:19:20  
I guess I should mention that I have an Apoc as well and OaT's power is very intimidating...

Initially I was doing the OaT GS to motor through procs but Resolution being released was an added bonus... Like I said, I have no regrets that my Calad is on a mannequin atm. >.<

But what I don't know at the moment... I'm halfway through Ragnarok, and with Oat GS should I finish it.. I'm in completionist mode on drk atm, so other relics just don't appeal.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-01-12 14:26:54  
I guess I'm saying I'd love to see Apoc vs. Oat in a couple situations before I make one :x
 Asura.Arkanethered
By Asura.Arkanethered 2012-01-12 14:28:34  
Taint should be able to math that for you...

Perhaps having my Apoc for two years has brought the luster of it down for me... But OaT is fun as hell and pretty easy to make as a proc GS.
 Asura.Myrrh
user: Myrrhic
By Asura.Myrrh 2012-01-12 14:43:15  
In my experience Entropy is better than Guillotine 80% of the time, and that's good enough for me.

When Apoc is done, I'll have more to contribute. It just doesn't sound fun to talk epeen with a different scythe.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-01-12 14:51:33  
Asura.Myrrh said: »
In my experience Entropy is better than Guillotine 80% of the time, and that's good enough for me. When Apoc is done, I'll have more to contribute. It just doesn't sound fun to talk epeen with a different scythe.

I think that, when geared properly, and 5/5 merits entropy should 100% of the time destroy guillotine.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2012-01-12 14:57:11  
In my experience Entropy is better than Guillotine 80% of the time, and that's good enough for me. When Apoc is done, I'll have more to contribute. It just doesn't sound fun to talk epeen with a different scythe.

I think that, when geared properly, and 5/5 merits entropy should 100% of the time destroy guillotine.

My black cats worked more then 60% D:
 Leviathan.Phenomena
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-01-12 14:57:45  
Fenrir.Skarwind said: »

Black Panther*
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2012-01-12 15:05:58  
Leviathan.Phenomena said: »
Fenrir.Skarwind said: »

Black Panther*

Why did Black Cat fire works come to mind.

[+]
 Asura.Arkanethered
By Asura.Arkanethered 2012-01-12 15:08:37  
Because you were lucky if half of them worked.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2012-01-12 15:12:00  
I'm killing lizards, birds and beasts with cato atm for the trials.
I'm not a big fan of doing the same thing over and over again, especially solo...
Even though it sounds like its the Ridil of 2012, I'm not doing OAT GS in the next year at least lol.

Thanks for the posts, I'm going to use the gems/lanterns to do Masamune lol.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-01-12 15:22:18  
 Ragnarok.Returner
By Ragnarok.Returner 2012-01-12 15:46:01  
Blazed1979 said: »
I'm killing lizards, birds and beasts with cato atm for the trials. I'm not a big fan of doing the same thing over and over again, especially solo... Even though it sounds like its the Ridil of 2012, I'm not doing OAT GS in the next year at least lol. Thanks for the posts, I'm going to use the gems/lanterns to do Masamune lol.

You are not repeatly doing anything, everything after the VNM trials are purchased.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-01-12 15:54:37  
Ragnarok.Returner said: »
I'm killing lizards, birds and beasts with cato atm for the trials. I'm not a big fan of doing the same thing over and over again, especially solo... Even though it sounds like its the Ridil of 2012, I'm not doing OAT GS in the next year at least lol. Thanks for the posts, I'm going to use the gems/lanterns to do Masamune lol.
You are not repeatly doing anything, everything after the VNM trials are purchased.

After taking forever to get help on blobdingnag, the rest of the trials for OAT lance took me literally a day or two each and that wasnt even purchasing all the items. If you buy all the upgrades you could literally do it past VNM in a day (including doing the abyssea sieges for resistance points).
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2012-01-12 16:02:58  
Ragnarok.Returner said: »

After taking forever to get help on blobdingnag, the rest of the trials for OAT lance took me literally a day or two each and that wasnt even purchasing all the items. If you buy all the upgrades you could literally do it past VNM in a day (including doing the abyssea sieges for resistance points).

Me and my friend are kinda dying here getting 18 maor blobs and 17 more krab shells. People are lame and cant help out for 5 min. Slow but surely we are making progress though I am having bad luck on tier ups.