フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » News » SOPA and PIPA
SOPA and PIPA
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2012-01-20 13:02:52  
The irony of all this Hollywood vs. Internet and Silicon Valley deal is that most of Hollywood started as an illicit business. People got tired of paying Edison patents so they fled from New York to Hollywood.

Hollywood is now the Edison of the past, trying to enforce their rule over the Internet(Hollywood of the past).

Looks like karma to me.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-01-20 13:04:08  
Artemicion said: »
Ragnarok.Yathatguy said: »
Fenrir.Bellalunaa said: »
http://boycott-hollywood.org/ Join the rest of the world to boycott Hollywood. We need to protect ourselves and show our support for all the freedoms we currently have (including the use of this site; many thanks to the team who make it possible).
Ummm why boycott Hollywood? You do know that you play a game...a game made by the largest profiting section of the media industry right? It needs to be fine tuned by OUR representatives not by Hollywood.
I'd have to agree here. Hollywood holds no interests in the well being of it's consumers or people in general. They will always seek out legislation that are within their interests and benefits. The key is us making sure those in office are truly representing us rather than their pockets and the lobbyists that filled em up with coin.
Businesses are about making profit. I bet you there are companies that oppose SOPA/PIPA and don't care about your "well being" either as it was about keeping their doors open and their pockets full. Do you honestly think the people who run facebook care about you as they sell your personal information to the highest bidders and make billions off of you as their product?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-01-20 13:04:21  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
The irony of all this Hollywood vs. Internet and Silicon Valley deal is that most of Hollywood started as an illicit business. People got tired of paying Edison patents so they fled from New York to Hollywood.

Hollywood is now the Edison of the past, trying to enforce their rule over the Internet(Hollywood of the past).

Looks like karma to me.

Just curious, but what is the answer? Independent groups supporting artists, not RIAA and such? Groups that focus on digital distribution?
By Artemicion 2012-01-20 13:07:51  
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
http://boycott-hollywood.org/ Join the rest of the world to boycott Hollywood. We need to protect ourselves and show our support for all the freedoms we currently have (including the use of this site; many thanks to the team who make it possible).
Ummm why boycott Hollywood? You do know that you play a game...a game made by the largest profiting section of the media industry right? It needs to be fine tuned by OUR representatives not by Hollywood.
I'd have to agree here. Hollywood holds no interests in the well being of it's consumers or people in general. They will always seek out legislation that are within their interests and benefits. The key is us making sure those in office are truly representing us rather than their pockets and the lobbyists that filled em up with coin.
Businesses are about making profit. I bet you there are companies that oppose SOPA/PIPA and don't care about your "well being" either as it was about keeping their doors open and their pockets full. Do you honestly think the people who run facebook care about you as they sell your personal information to the highest bidders and make billions off of you as their product?

I wouldn't know since I don't use facebook, but it would be more wise to leave representation to those in politics and boycott to those that would vote against your interests at large, or enact in business ethics that alienate your privacy or otherwise.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-01-20 13:29:03  
I wouldn't know since I don't use facebook, but it would be more wise to leave representation to those in politics and boycott to those that would vote against your interests at large, or enact in business ethics that alienate your privacy or otherwise.
Facebook is just one example. Just because a business syncs up with one of your interests doesn't mean their doing that for a noble cause. It's most likely for the same cause that the other the other one that doesn't sync up with your current interest. Keeping their wallets fat.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Shadowknoll
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Shadowknoll 2012-01-20 13:32:21  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »

Looks like karma to me.

Just curious, but what is the answer? Independent groups supporting artists, not RIAA and such? Groups that focus on digital distribution?
it's to starve them into submitting most likely like Go Daddy saw. that or to starve them and make way for a new company to grow and push them out. but I doubt that will happen.
 Asura.Jadecc
サーバ: Asura
user: jadecc
By Asura.Jadecc 2012-01-20 14:34:34  
Theres a new bill out to compromise PIPA and SOPA, called
OPEN: Online Protection & ENforcement of Digital Trade Act

you can check it out and suggest changes as well at
http://www.keepthewebopen.com

it still seems the huge multimedia companies will have the power to sue any website infringing on their copywrite, except now instead of pretending to stop piracy its pretending to be a free and open internet
By Artemicion 2012-01-20 14:41:40  
Facebook is just one example. Just because a business syncs up with one of your interests doesn't mean their doing that for a noble cause. It's most likely for the same cause that the other the other one that doesn't sync up with your current interest. Keeping their wallets fat.

You're right, but I never implied that in case that was what you were instigating over.
I was simply noting that it is a relatively futile effort to boycott hollywood in hopes of "changing their minds" over what they choose to support in terms of legislation.
 Valefor.Mithano
サーバ: Valefor
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2012-01-20 15:33:15  
I bet you there are companies that oppose SOPA/PIPA and don't care about your "well being"

Companies do not have feelings - they are not people (despite what the law may say).

Boycotts and protests DO work, but it would be wrong to say they all do. People like Hollywood, and the movies they make (Avatar not included!), the problem isn't with the content. The problem is with the money, and who gets what and how much and when. That's why I am against a Hollywood boycott - there are other, better ways to fix the industry without outright removing it.

It would be similar to boycotting all cars because I object to gasoline usage. There are other ways improve autos without removing them all outright.

Regardless, the average person (one that cannot afford to spend all day being an activist) generally only has one real option - VOTE. You have a large election coming up this year. If you don't like what your current representatives are doing, DON'T VOTE FOR THEM. It really is that easy.
 Valefor.Vandell
サーバ: Valefor
user: Vandell
By Valefor.Vandell 2012-01-20 15:45:55  
Welcome To The Internets, Post SOPA!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=71a_1327079635

For stealing all those movies, music and video games, these sorts of videos will be your eternal punishment!
By Eugene 2012-01-20 16:00:31  
I don't understand what I'm watching and I feel I've been horribly trolled.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2012-01-21 07:15:34  
Just saw this on TPB's home page and it made me lol:

[+]
By Kikorimo 2012-01-22 11:18:14  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=-tD1yaE0GfQ
Tried to post it here but got error. Everyone should watch this if they haven't already.
 Fenrir.Terminus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-01-22 11:33:44  
lol vote. good luck.
 Carbuncle.Joltx
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Joltx
By Carbuncle.Joltx 2012-01-22 12:04:26  
Not sure if anyone posted this on the previous pages, but i just find it ironic that while they tossed the SOPA and PIPA in our faces, theyre trying to sneak this through the back door.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/317977
 Lakshmi.Jesi
user: Jesi
By Lakshmi.Jesi 2012-01-22 12:14:45  
http://boycott-hollywood.org/
Join the rest of the world to boycott Hollywood. We need to protect ourselves and show our support for all the freedoms we currently have (including the use of this site; many thanks to the team who make it possible).

I'd have to agree here.
Hollywood holds no interests in the well being of it's consumers or people in general. They will always seek out legislation that are within their interests and benefits. The key is us making sure those in office are truly representing us rather than their pockets and the lobbyists that filled em up with coin.

And since this will never happen, the only way to stop it is to make it so it makes no financial sense for them to give money to politicians.

This is from that boycott website and it was a quote from FOX news.

Quote:
“Don’t ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don’t pay any attention to me when my job is at stake… I would caution people don’t make the assumption that because the quote ‘Hollywood community’ has been historically supportive of Democrats, which they have, don’t make the false assumptions this year that because we did it in years past, we will do it this year”

This is a perfect example of why we need to get corporate money out of politics as quickly as possible. The MPAA is attempting to bribe and blackmail politicians to get support for SOPA. Sounds criminal… but it’s not.

They are telling Democrats that they had better fall in line or else lose out on Hollywood support, which is huge by the way.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2012-01-22 13:08:45  
Carbuncle.Joltx said: »
Not sure if anyone posted this on the previous pages, but i just find it ironic that while they tossed the SOPA and PIPA in our faces, theyre trying to sneak this through the back door.

I thought that was going to be about OPEN which I clicked it.
 Sylph.Zohnax
サーバ: Sylph
user: Baelfael
By Sylph.Zohnax 2012-01-22 13:41:18  
Carbuncle.Joltx said: »

So, with the help of that other bill they passed recently, if this one passed will they fill up our prisons even more or start deporting people? lol
By Artemicion 2012-01-22 14:03:11  
With bills of this extremity coming out one after another, the US is starting to look more and more imperialistic by the day.
And it scares the hell out of me.
 Sylph.Zohnax
By Sylph.Zohnax 2012-01-22 14:41:30  
With bills of this extremity coming out one after another, the US is starting to look more and more imperialistic by the day.
And it scares the hell out of me.
Indeed. Will end up having to fight for our freedoms all over again.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-01-22 14:44:32  
It wont pass and it isnt worth getting to upset about. Stupid, extreme bills are brought up like this all the time but rare do they ever go to a first vote.
By Artemicion 2012-01-22 14:48:29  
Sylph.Kimble said: »
It wont pass and it isnt worth getting to upset about. Stupid, extreme bills are brought up like this all the time but rare do they ever go to a first vote.

Though they're unlikely to pass, the fact that there is a recognizable trend of legislation of extreme nature popping up one after the other on such a short margin of time is pretty damned scary. The principle of fundamentals appear to be diminishing and extreme views put into power and influence seems to be on the rise.
 Seraph.Koroma
サーバ: Seraph
user: Koroma
By Seraph.Koroma 2012-01-22 18:06:40  

1:50-2:20 is probably the scariest part.
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-01-22 21:23:21  

Though they're unlikely to pass, the fact that there is a recognizable trend of legislation of extreme nature popping up one after the other on such a short margin of time is pretty damned scary. The principle of fundamentals appear to be diminishing and extreme views put into power and influence seems to be on the rise.

Its not really that scary when you realize bills like this have been proposed hundreds of times and nothing ever comes of them.
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-01-22 21:32:20  

Its not really that scary when you realize bills like this have been proposed hundreds of times and nothing ever comes of them.

And yet people will claim that the internet protests actually accomplished something and played a big part of the withdrawal of the bills. Instead of realizing that yet another controversial Republican-led bill died because it had no chance of getting by the Democrat controlled Senate, much less the White House.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-01-22 21:38:31  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »

And yet people will claim that the internet protests actually accomplished something and played a big part of the withdrawal of the bills. Instead of realizing that yet another controversial Republican-led bill died because it had no chance of getting by the Democrat controlled Senate, much less the White House.

I'm sure they did help some what, but not as much as people would like to believe. Hell a lot of sites talked big about "taking their sites down" and such and when the day came, barely of those sites even made mention of the protest. I give wiki huge credit for pretty much taking their site down (i'm aware there was ways around it but lets be honest, most people wouldn't even bother going through the steps to disable javascript).
 Cerberus.Caitlinn
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Caitlinn 2012-01-22 22:13:17  
ppl need to read more news SOPA and PIPA got canceled after just about every major website our government uses blacked itself out to show what will happen if hte bill passes he canceled the bill before it even got voted on
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-01-22 22:20:18  
Cerberus.Caitlinn said: »
ppl need to read more news SOPA and PIPA got canceled after just about every major website our government uses blacked itself out to show what will happen if hte bill passes he canceled the bill before it even got voted on

Really? What major websites? Only ones I know to actually black its self out was Reddit and Wiki.

They aren't canceled really. Just on hold until they rework the bills.
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-01-22 22:23:31  
Furthermore, I'm fairly certain our government doesn't use wiki very often. And while they aren't cancelled, I really dont see them being successfully reworked to a point where Obama would actually sign them into law.
 Sylph.Zohnax
By Sylph.Zohnax 2012-01-22 22:50:21  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »

Actually the bill had a lot of supporters including democrats and they along with media producers were "shocked" at the internet's uprising against these bills.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10