Asura.Fondue
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2012-07-25 12:59:39  
Ramuh.Laffter said: »
Sidiov said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
"I don't care about the boat ride to the new place, so I'm going to try to devalue the opinions of those that do by being a ***"

ok.
I'd look at it like this: Do you want SE to spend 1.5 years programming a boat ride you will take once, or 1.5 years programming something else that has a small chance of being useful?
I play the lottery, so I would pass on the boat ride for that small chance at a dream.
I don't think it's hard to borrow the boats there already are, draw up a simple map, and then implement them.

Q_Q reskinned boats Q_Q
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-07-25 12:59:42  
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
I'm a cor, sailing is a passion for me!
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-07-25 13:00:19  
Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Relic and Empyrean equipment might mean the weapons included, but the fact that they basicly just confirmed 2 new mythics is pretty sick.
Also, mythic great sword? fairly sure Rune Fencer is gonna be the new best DD properly geared.

It seems like he listed out armor and weapons separately with the intention of excluding relic and emp weapons. And they have said rune fencer is a tank job, not a DD.
 Asura.Rekin
By Asura.Rekin 2012-07-25 13:02:13  
I suppose if they did the teleport thing right it could be rather neat.

Like say when you first do it its very climatic and when you get sent there like a ball of light(like when going to sky from hall of the gods) you get a aerial view of the world as you(a ball of light) speed your way to your destination and as your ball of light fades into the unknown area the screen pans back to show the entire continent and it could have the story related title pop up kinda like CoP.
[+]
 Sylph.Nephriel
サーバ: Sylph
user: Nephriel
By Sylph.Nephriel 2012-07-25 13:02:40  
Siren.Kalilla said: »
I'm so pissed about npcs sending us there by teleportation; so uncreative and lazy for both developers and players. I was looking forward to seeing what they come up with, possibly even a new fishing spot if it was by boat, and they decided to put no effort into getting there.

This is just lowering my expectations of what the expansion is going to end up being like. This might be something small and meaningless to everyone else but it's just one sign of them putting the least amount of effort into this project, and if they make the travel there instant what makes anything else different?

Pretty much this. My enthusiasm for this expansion just dropped considerably from hearing about the lack of a boat.

One reason I enjoy FFXI over most other MMOs these days is that Vana'diel feels very much like a world. It has areas that you really don't have much of a reason to go to, but dammit they're still there. A boat ride gives off the "adventuring" feel really well while a teleport feels like a "whatever, wheres my gear."

Compare this to something like SWTOR. The planets didn't feel at all like anything meaningful to me. They were just split into areas where you get a bunch of quests, then complete said quests, then go to a new spot and get more quests, and repeat.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-07-25 13:02:54  
Asura.Rekin said: »

Like say when you first do it its very climatic and when you get sent there like a ball of light(like when going to sky from hall of the gods) you get a aerial view of the world as you(a ball of light) speed your way to your destination.
... I would be okay with it if they did this.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-07-25 13:02:58  
Sidiov said: »
I'd look at it like this: Do you want SE to spend 1.5 years programming a boat ride you will take once, or 1.5 years programming something else that has a small chance of being useful?
I play the lottery, so I would pass on the boat ride for that small chance at a dream.

Eh, I understand that some people only play to obtain things and make progress and stuff like story, cut scenes and such only get in the way but deep down at it's roots, this game is an RPG. Factors like this are important to me and many other people because part of the reason why we play is emotional impact we'll get by playing this style of game.

One of the reasons why I loved the ToAU expansion was because of all the details they put in to the little stuff. Hell it's why I love this game. Minor things are important despite them just being "minor".
[+]
 Carbuncle.Shokox
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-07-25 13:05:00  
"I don't care about the boat ride to the new place, so I'm going to try to devalue the opinions of those that do by being a ***"

ok.

So happy I'm automatically a *** since I made a general statement!

You trippin' man. If you enjoyed your boat ride, have it, you won the argument. In that I can understand the sense of anticipation that people would have had.

I'm sure there's a number of others who really don't gain a sense of adventure by being on a boat for all of 13 mins-- In fact, a good deal of people simply paid the 500,000g and was thrown headlong into Aht Urghan at the Leypoint. Now there's an adventure.

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Carbuncle.Shokox said: »
Don't even try to front. No one cares about the boat ride to a new place lol.
I would be fine with my first trip there being a boat ride. Teleporting in seems rather anti-climatic. So yeah, go away.

Nah.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-25 13:05:10  
Asura.Rekin said: »

Like say when you first do it its very climatic and when you get sent there like a ball of light(like when going to sky from hall of the gods) you get a aerial view of the world as you(a ball of light) speed your way to your destination.
... I would be okay with it if they did this.

I'd be ok with it to since it wouldn't just be an NPC telling you to hold on tight and be on your merry way before fading to a black screen, which is almost assuredly what it's going to be.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-07-25 13:06:15  
The lack of a boat to Adoulin really doesn't change my feelings about the future of this game. Its a letdown yes, but I would say the biggest letdown for me in that interview is the way he completely dodged the pricing question of xi/xiv.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-25 13:07:31  

ok.

You trippin' man. If you enjoyed your boat ride, have it, you won the argument. In that I can understand the sense of anticipation that people would have had.

I'm sure there's a number of others who really don't gain a sense of adventure by being on a boat for all of 13 mins-- In fact, a good deal of people simply paid the 500,000g and was thrown headlong into Aht Urghan at the Leypoint. Now there's an adventure.

In this situation, you attempting to force your opinion as the #1 end-all-be-all option is what makes you a ***.

Great, so they had their get out of jail free, instant access option while those of us who actually enjoy playing the game got to do the quest and go on a boat ride. This is completely cutting out the second option, and for a many of us that do enjoy actually doing the quest and taking the boat rather than having to be the first to 99 our Rune Knight, it *** sucks.
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-07-25 13:08:45  
Do you get a map when you pay 500k to be teleported to Aht Urghan?

If not, I can see how it might be fun that way too.
By daemun 2012-07-25 13:09:39  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
The lack of a boat to Adoulin really doesn't change my feelings about the future of this game. Its a letdown yes, but I would say the biggest letdown for me in that interview is the way he completely dodged the pricing question of xi/xiv.
Maybe (I know giving faith to SE..dumb idea) they are still figuring up a good combined price rate and don't want to say anything until they are finalized on it.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-25 13:10:12  
I'd pay $15 for a combined XI and XIV price. It's fair.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-07-25 13:14:02  

ok.

In this situation, you attempting to force your opinion as the #1 end-all-be-all option is what makes you a ***.

Great, so they had their get out of jail free, instant access option while those of us who actually enjoy playing the game got to do the quest and go on a boat ride. This is completely cutting out the second option, and for a many of us that do enjoy actually doing the quest and taking the boat rather than having to be the first to 99 our Rune Knight, it *** sucks.

Actually my argument states that no one really cared. It was a general statement that I partially pulled back. People had a sense of anticipation and enjoyment. Cool. I don't see how not having a boat strips away from any further anticipation on how the expansion will be.

I mean, someone just posted that not having a boat is a tell-tale sign of the future of the expansion. I mean really?

I thought the actual adventure is in the new zone, and learning new things with your friends. Who cares about the transportation of getting there?

Do you get a map when you pay 500k to be teleported to Aht Urghan?

If not, I can see how it might be fun that way too.

You do indeed get a map. A few of my friends did that, and had crazy fun that way.
 Pandemonium.Tatsuki
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: douten
By Pandemonium.Tatsuki 2012-07-25 13:16:53  
It's too early to judge the no boat ride thing. I personally do not think it'll work story wise. Far west - and we have a dock at Selbina? how long would that take to sail over sea? would anyone wanna spend 30min on a ship? Airship might work, but I'm not sure how they'd tie that into the story? Where will there be airship dock? I think teleporting might be the easiest way to tie it in. Also just because it's a 'teleport' doesn't mean it is so in the literal sense ala. quick airship cs to sea.

Lazy? Sure, but I don't think just because they didn't spend time on x means they won't spend time on y, but that's just me being naive I guess.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-07-25 13:16:57  
I'd pay $15 for a combined XI and XIV price. It's fair.

I wouldn't. I might pay 7.50 to play XI, but I will prolly never play XIV. It would have to be almost completely f2p like Aion is now.
 Asura.Rekin
By Asura.Rekin 2012-07-25 13:17:37  

It's all about the presentation. If SE is good at anything it is their ability to show off stuff with all the bells and streamers.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-25 13:19:54  

Your original thing was "no one cares about boats yer only complaining to complain about something, shut up" essentially, but whatever, I'll let it slide.

What you aren't understanding is that it does matter to some people, and while I don't agree that the transportation method is a reason to condemn the entire expansion, a fleck of doubt could be scrounged up from it.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-25 13:21:59  
Actually my argument states that no one really cared. It was a general statement that I partially pulled back. People had a sense of anticipation and enjoyment. Cool. I don't see how not having a boat strips away from any further anticipation on how the expansion will be.

I mean, someone just posted that not having a boat is a tell-tale sign of the future of the expansion. I mean really?

I thought the actual adventure is in the new zone, and learning new things with your friends. Who cares about the transportation of getting there?
They knew players were anticipating the way of travel, yet they won't spend a few days to adjust their plans to make one.

They are set in their ways regardless of what players want. In ToAU you had two options, the players who wanted to adventure could still do so. Now no one has an option, you are forced to be lazy and take an NPC there. They ruin the opportunity of any new ocean fish west which would probably include a large variety of fish we haven't seen and would give options to those who enjoy fishing.

They opted to be lazy, and that is why I think that is a sign of what is to come.

Pandemonium.Tatsuki said: »
It's too early to judge the no boat ride thing. I personally do not think it'll work story wise. Far west - and we have a dock at Selbina? how long would that take to sail over sea? would anyone wanna spend 30min on a ship? Airship might work, but I'm not sure how they'd tie that into the story? Where will there be airship dock? I think teleporting might be the easiest way to tie it in. Also just because it's a 'teleport' doesn't mean it is so in the literal sense ala. quick airship cs to sea.

Lazy? Sure, but I don't think just because they didn't spend time on x means they won't spend time on y, but that's just me being naive I guess.
They have been trading with Sandy already, and are close allies with them. There was no reason that a ship couldn't of been made on an unused portion of the dock, and there is plenty of opportunities to put one in.
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-07-25 13:25:50  
There's plenty of outlets of lore that would justify anything but teleporting there. For example, Adoulin has an amicable relationship with San d'Oria. Perhaps their airport or port station can open up a new route or have the second unused half of the port open up for a vessel to take you there.

While I won't dismiss the expansion as a whole based on this, it gives a great sense of foreboding in regards of the direction this expansion will go.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Artemicion 2012-07-25 13:37:23  
I actually enjoyed the boat ride to Aht Urhgan. The music set the atmosphere for undiscovered territory and light hearted adventure, and the ride was laced with little aesthetic details to usher the craving of adventure, such as:

Akpallu literally hopping onboard your boat
Whales diving next to your ferry
Seagulls flocking along side your ship, and even having a distant island of refuge, visible from the deck
Seeing the reflection and haze of gold lacing the very city of Al Zhabi right before you dock into the port.
Seeing Mount Zhayolm in all of it's active volcano glory as you pass by
Seeing the gloomy and mysterious spires of a sunken civilization, hinting and foreshadowing the ruins that lie underneath (Nyzul/Silver Sea Remnants)
Being enveloped in an unrelenting and shadowy fog as you near closer to the Arrapago Isles on your way to Nashmau.

These are just a few examples of what they could do to help set the stage for a new and uncharted continent for us, but instead they just have a NPC throw you in the middle of it without any buildup or anticipation to it whatsoever.

Based on my examples alone for ToAU, just imagine what they could do while en route to Adoulin.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Tatsuki
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: douten
By Pandemonium.Tatsuki 2012-07-25 13:41:32  
The lore can be swing either way w/ or w/o ship. I don't think opening up a new trading route all the sudden won't be good lore wise when compared to the east needing help w/ the beastmen, well it might be the same story, but again it's too early to tell. Just imo though.

Indeed it is sad to see we won't get a ship (I'm a fisherman too), but I'm not going to over react. There's 2 new jobs and 6+ new zones? I think I can guess where they chose to focus their energy(however little) into.
 Carbuncle.Gilder
user: dewzedo
By Carbuncle.Gilder 2012-07-25 13:41:49  
Since runes are the new big thing in this expansion, a teleport rune doesn't sound that bad from a storyline perspective really.

Anyway, it seems like you guys are making the boat ride sound a lot more exciting than it really is lol. I'd prefer a "bridge" zone that links to an old zone so I can actively run my character through it and explore new areas on my way to the capital. Kind of like running to Jeuno for the first time.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-07-25 13:42:26  

Your original thing was "no one cares about boats yer only complaining to complain about something, shut up" essentially, but whatever, I'll let it slide.

What you aren't understanding is that it does matter to some people, and while I don't agree that the transportation method is a reason to condemn the entire expansion, a fleck of doubt could be scrounged up from it.

Are you even reading my argument? I've already understood why people would want a boat. Took me all of 5 seconds to figure it out after my initial post; that's why I changed it up. The boat (or lack there of) should have zero being on the outlook of an expansion, and you know it.

The presentation of travelling to this region may be no different from the end of PM 1-3 to Tavnazia. No one really knows. Better to have a sense of anticipation in what SE might cook up.

And yes, a vast majority of people (on my server at least) did not care about the boat ride. In fact, I remember many people complaining about it. That and the fact that major congestion kicked players off the boat constantly (Something I'm sure SE took into account as well).

Kalilla, I don't understand how this makes SE lazy at all, I'm sorry. Lazy is not giving us an expansion at all and instead rehashing content continually. They've pulled out all the stops to give players a new expansion, I think players can cut them a little slack for not having a boatride.
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-07-25 13:44:45  
For the first time going there id love a boat ride not a teleport and certainly not a damn airship. Theres nothing to do on an airship at least monsters spawn on ships or you can fish. It all adds to the sense of going somewhere new, the ships being full of people and lots to talk about on the first trip over. If you started in windy back in the day you will know this feeling. First getting on that boat to selbina with your friends to find the sea horror looking you in the eyes and you running around screaming.
By Artemicion 2012-07-25 13:44:48  
Pandemonium.Tatsuki said: »
The lore can be swing either way w/ or w/o ship. I don't think opening up a new trading route all the sudden will be good lore wise when compared to the east needing help w/ the beastmen, well it might be the same story, but again it's too early to tell. Just imo though. Indeed it is sad to see we won't get a ship (I'm a fisherman too), but I'm not going to over reacted. There's 2 new jobs and 6+(or more) new zones? I think I can guess where they chose to focus their energy(however little) into.

I suppose it can go either way, but it only takes even a simple line of dialog to help justify something extraordinary. I remember the first time ToAU came out and doing the quest to get my boarding pass and being nervous after the guy tells you that the boats they used were decommissioned from Bastok, and you would be lucky if it simply didn't sink, let alone the risks of going to Al Zhabi to begin with.
By Artemicion 2012-07-25 13:46:38  
Kalilla, I don't understand how this makes SE lazy at all, I'm sorry. Lazy is not giving us an expansion at all and instead rehashing content continually. They've pulled out all the stops to give players a new expansion, I think players can cut them a little slack for not having a boatride.

You must be unfamiliar with how Square-Enix introduces content and patches.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8