Game Escape "Seekers of Adoulin" Interview
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-25 16:56:56  
I don't care how you will all reach Adoulin, I have my own pirate ship! *sets sail*

I may drift to the wrong continent though, so if I'm late you know what happened.
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-07-25 17:02:28  
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
I don't care how you will all reach Adoulin, I have my own pirate ship! *sets sail*

I may drift to the wrong continent though, so if I'm late you know what happened.

I want a ride! >:3
Lieutenant Artemicion, reporting for duty.

[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Crystalchan
Leonardo da Clippi
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Crystalchan 2012-07-25 17:03:23  
Reading this made my eyes water from happiness, then sadness when I realized it'll never be this cool ;~;
 Ragnarok.Kongming
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-07-25 17:11:24  
Enuyasha said: »
Really? It seems like they've moved NIN more towards tanking and less towards DD, and vice versa with SAM.

At any rate the designation of a "tank job" before the job is even released is a first for them. They've never told the playerbase before how they expect them to use any particular job. I actually think they're out of line doing so, but perhaps "rune fencer" was too vague an idea without them explaining that they see the job tanking.

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
there is next to nothing in that interview tbh. Besides the boatrage, the only major reveal was no emp/relic weapons.
I agree, and think the accuracy of any revealed information is questionable, if not at least subject to change. They basically give very wordy ways of saying nothing at all.

I've done a "between the lines" reading of the interview, which I'm confident is closer to the truth than what was presented:

Quote:
GE- It’s great to see that a new expansion is on the way! It’s been quite awhile since Wings of the Goddess came out. Why was there such a long period of time between expansions? When did development begin on Seekers of Adoulin?

SE- Now that FFXIV v2.0 is nearing completion, we've been able to delegate more team members to active FFXI projects and as such have been able to scrape enough material together for a full expansion.

GE- In North America Seekers of Adoulin will not be available for the PlayStation 2. Can you tell us what lead to this decision? It seems a bit odd to increase HDD capacity for the game on the console then only release the expansion in one territory. Why not release the expansion digitally?

SE- While we will only be publishing a physical disc in Japan, we are still undecided on digital distribution considering how many PS2 users there are in North America and how much bandwidth that would cost us.

GE-How will players first arrive in Adoulin? Where will they depart from and what kind of prerequisite will need to be met before travel to Ulbuka is possible?

SE- The main mode of transportation is consistent with the rest of the entire game: teleportation. Whether or not a boat ride will be required for initial transportation is under development.

GE- How many types of Runes and Luopons will there be? Will they be a consumable item that players will have to carry around with them? Or will they be a spell or ability?

SE- Runes will be activated through the use of abilities. We realize that this statement does not clarify whether the runes themselves will be consumables, as that is under development.

GE- How will the new jobs play into current relic, mythic and empyrean weapons? Is it safe to assume that they’ll have relic and empyrean armor as well?

SE- Basically what you'd expect of any job, and the rest is under development.

GE- With Seekers of Adoulin, players will receive private islands that they can use like a farm. How similar will these be to the Mog House? Can other players visit your island? Will you be able to furnish any parts of the island?

SE- Farmville may or may not allow others to visit as it is under development.

GE- At VanaFest you said that you’re looking into changing some of the core coding for the game to deal with issues such as the limit on recast timers. Are there any other things that the coding will make possible that you can tell us about?

SE- The PS2 code of this game will never be changed because the original programmers have long since left the development team. The best we can do at this point is tweak things and hope nothing breaks.

GE- It’s been mentioned that plug-ins might be supported with the new PC user interface. Can you tell us more about what tools will be made available to the community, what type of plug-ins will be allowed or forbidden, and if there will be some type of approval process?

SE- Under development.

GE- Final Fantasy XIV has been picking up some steam lately while heading towards the launch of 2.0. Now, Final Fantasy XI has a new expansion pack coming out next year. Have you thought about a permanent discount or a bundled subscription to both games so that players don’t have to pick one over the other?

SE- Development.

GE- This year marks the 10th anniversary of Final Fantasy XI. What are some of your favorite memories since the project began? Is there anything you would have done differently?

Mizuki Ito- I can't say that I regret FFXIV, but I both rue and lament it.

Yoji Fujito- FFXIV.
 Bismarck.Moonlightespada
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Moonlightespada 2012-07-25 17:26:37  

show me where to sign up!
 Fenrir.Schutz
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2012-07-25 17:31:45  
I know the "boat" topic was so-page-3, but isn't everything at this point regarding that just speculation?

What if the first mission CS to get to Adoulin (which involves the teleportation event) involved the most epic and gripping--and thus memorable--CS ever seen like, ever (at least until later parts of the expansion?) :p Given how good the WotG ones were, I'd think this would be a possibility.

If they were to make that aspect of unlocking and getting there properly suspension-of-disbelief and epic-gaming-memory appropriate, then all players (those that just want to get there, and those that want some visceral memories to revisit later) would be happy?

But it's all "if" until the release time, so no sense in speculating too much about the impact of it all until then, no?
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-25 18:13:30  

Take me with you Seha :(
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-25 18:15:29  
So, Adoulin will probably come in March 2013.

That means the final updates will come aug - oct 2014!

@.@
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-07-25 18:27:41  
Siren.Kalilla said: »
So, Adoulin will probably come in March 2013.

That means the final updates will come aug - oct 2014!

@.@
Based on the current expansion trend, we're unlikely to see the final updates of Adoulin this decade.
 Ramuh.Laffter
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-07-25 18:55:59  
Shiva.Francisco said: »
Ramuh.Laffter said: »
I still want a boat ride where something tragic happens and you wash up onshore.

People gather at port, talk to the NPC, boat is permanently docked... every 2-3 minutes a boat departs, or whenever the queue fills up (say six people), a boat departs via cutscene...

Few minutes of typical boat ride stuff, cutscene... chaotic ***happens... epic familiar music starts...

5 minute timed BC on the boat w/ all passengers, but pretty much it's an autofail... against this guy...

Ship gets destroyed, you wash up on the shore somewhere... major villains of the expansion are identified as Cagnazzo, Scarmiglione, Barbariccia and Mf-cking Rubicante.

You'd all cream and you know it.
Requoting this extraordinarily epic idea because some people don't backread!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kerokun
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Kerokun
By Carbuncle.Kerokun 2012-07-26 00:47:15  
I missed this whole interview business, so forgive my late arrival.

I don't see the teleportation to Adoulin as lazy; I see it as an influence of modern gamers. In the pre-Abyssea days of FFXI, getting places for events, HNMs, and such took quite long, given the limited teleport options. Teleports were shortcuts, but not 100% of the traveling. The game had more of an adventure motif going on.

But now, with the evolution of MMORPGs, I think it's the fear of losing new gamers. With how far the game has come, they don't want to lose all of their possible new profits. If they can't reel in new players from time to time, they'll just lose people over time.

Very few people I know iRL have given (pre-Abyssea) FFXI a real shot because of its... tough as nails approach. "What? I lose XP when I die? And I can level DOWN!?" "What? I have to wait 15 minutes for the boat? And then 15 minutes being ON the boat!?" Factors like this had to be removed.

Unfortunately, those were factors that I really enjoyed. It's definitely a way to immerse yourself with the world and the characters. When you were going to get your AF from those beastman domains, you were afraid to die because it meant having to shout for a teleport and chocobo back there! It'd take 10-15 minutes at least. Also, even if you were someone who frequently did merit parties, you were still afraid to lose 10% of your EXP. I remember Wings of the Goddess when it first came out, coming out of the maw in Sauromugue, typing to some buddies while I checked the new mobs--I got aggro'd by a goblin and before I knew it, I was dead. Getting back to that maw alone was impossible at the time (without a lot of patience waiting for other people to get back through), so I had to plot out logistics and such for how I'd go next time.

Essentially, the game issued no real rules but taught you through relentless trial and error. There was no indication that something aggro'd until it was too late (Caedarva Mire, yo). I don't think the game tells you about some of the pathos of failing to pick a chest (btw, mimics scare the ***out of me to this day--thanks, XI).

For those who enjoyed the adventure, it was great; you didn't know what was going to happen when you embarked upon new territory. There are some areas in some of the early zones that I believe had no real purpose at any point other than for aesthetic. That stuff had real charm because even if you've played for years, you could be, like, "Hey, I've never been back here before..."

But today's audience, I feel, is less patient. They want to get to the endgame ASAP and start earning gear. They're deterred by grinding--seriously, when an MMO is discussed, I find one of the earliest questions asked about it pertains to the grind. And if it's too much, then people usually don't give it a try. But at 75, even grinding to cap level was an adventure in itself, with all the different XP camps. Even with a buddy of mine that made it to 90 cap before eventually tapering off had qualms with the idea of not receiving new gear frequently--working for a long time and only receiving anything physical until after a lot of work. However, I realize that description is not too different from Voidwatch in some respects, having to spam something over and over again. But at least in Voidwatch, each time you did it, you had a chance at what you wanted, albeit small--and you did it frequently, so you always felt like "this is the one!" (at least I did).

Now that my time in XI is over, I look back on all the times I overlooked the aesthetic of the game and its presentation pre-Abyssea.

It's a beautiful game. c:

TL;DR: I blame marketing. Gotta get everyone to what many people would call the meat of the game.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-26 19:42:00  
07-26-2012 07:33 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Greetings,

To answer the question about "why can't these new jobs also use relics?"

The main reason why rune fencers and geomancers will be unable to equip Relic and Empyrean weapons is because those weapons were created and balanced around the jobs that existed at the time. This is also the reason that blue mage, corsair, puppetmaster, dancer and scholar were never given access to relic weapons.

However, as Mythic weapons are job-specific, it won't be a problem to design a weapon that is best suited specifically for rune fencers or geomancers.

As an additional note, when we release content for these new jobs in Seekers of Adoulin, they will be able to earn the equivalent of Relic equipment, Empyrean equipment, and Mythic weapons. We simply used these terms to make it clearer and we haven't officially decided on what names these types of equipment will take.
Subscribe
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-26 19:43:52  
How much balance could there possibly be behind Almace, Caladbolg, Gaembteinn, and Hrosiodvgbwdstaff that prevents them from being worn by the new jobs..?

3/4 of those are pretty ***, with 2 of those 3 being applicable in only certain situations. Caladbolg is only redeemable, slightly so at that, at 99. The staff and club serve only as MP recovery when you actually have access to TP. Almace is the only one out of the four that's "good", and that's just a one handed sword that the job is unlikely to have very much power to put behind...

If they aren't at least put onto basic magian weapons, then idk what to say. Both jobs basically require them to be successful at this point, as having a mythic and AH weapons only in terms of an arsenal is unacceptable in this day and age.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-07-26 19:51:10  
At least that ends the albeit brief speculation about the wording of the interview.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-07-26 20:00:09  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
How much balance could there possibly be behind Almace, Caladbolg, Gaembteinn, and Hrosiodvgbwdstaff that prevents them from being worn by the new jobs..?

3/4 of those are pretty ***, with 2 of those 3 being applicable in only certain situations. Caladbolg is only redeemable, slightly so at that, at 99. The staff and club serve only as MP recovery when you actually have access to TP. Almace is the only one out of the four that's "good", and that's just a one handed sword that the job is unlikely to have very much power to put behind...

If they aren't at least put onto basic magian weapons, then idk what to say. Both jobs basically require them to be successful at this point, as having a mythic and AH weapons only in terms of an arsenal is unacceptable in this day and age.
The assumption you're making is that something else won't be in place for these jobs that rivals or even surpasses Magian weapons.

Also note that even on behalf of mythics and empyrean armor for said jobs, they were used as equivalent terms for as-of-yet unnamed gear. From the sound of it, all the goodies for these jobs are going to come from the new expansion, and not existing zones, which is a huge sigh of relief that obviously shows they're putting serious work into this.
[+]
 Cerberus.Taiyoshu
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Defrosted
By Cerberus.Taiyoshu 2012-07-26 20:34:31  
I've only read the first few pages, but I'll throw in my two cents.

Boat rides: Yes, I'll say I would like them, it gives players a sense of adventure and it builds anticipation towards the new content while you are on the boat with some of your best friends. I know some of my best times were the little things like chatting with friends on the way to something (like on the boats), or just killing random mobs in a cool environment. On the other hand, no boats might not be such a bad thing, anyone remember Chains of Promathia? I don't recall a boat taking you to those areas, you just kinda woke up in the new area after the Promy fights. That was probably the best expansion I've played. So, while a boat ride would be something I would greatly enjoy, I also don't think its a make or break intro to an expansion.

Edit: Just read the post about the Relic and Empy weapons... That's a little disappointing, but I guess I can understand that...
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2012-07-26 21:23:34  
Ragnarok.Kongming said: »

The assumption you're making is that something else won't be in place for these jobs that rivals or even surpasses Magian weapons.

Also note that even on behalf of mythics and empyrean armor for said jobs, they were used as equivalent terms for as-of-yet unnamed gear. From the sound of it, all the goodies for these jobs are going to come from the new expansion, and not existing zones, which is a huge sigh of relief that obviously shows they're putting serious work into this.

Which would make their stance even dumber...?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-07-26 21:26:00  
The balance argument from SE on new jobs getting Relic/Empyreans is and always will be ***.

Hold the phone, COR with Annihilator or BLU with Excalibur is going to break the game.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-07-26 21:29:18  
Siren.Kyte said: »
I'm not following the causation here so you're going to have to speak more precisely.

What would make their stance dumber? Why?
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-07-26 21:42:32  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
The balance argument from SE on new jobs getting Relic/Empyreans is and always will be ***.

Hold the phone, COR with Annihilator or BLU with Excalibur is going to break the game.
I suspect a lot of *** from SE but this particular case with new jobs and relics, and now empyreans, I suspect not. *** usually comes from them when they're explaining why they haven't done something that would take a considerable amount of effort.

Adding a job to any particular weapon probably takes upwards of 5 seconds for someone who is versed in the process. It would be very hard for me to say that they're not doing it for other than the stated reason.

Unless that reason was that they want to create another timesink and not allow people who have already completed a certain weapon to use that weapon on a new job. Though as money is an underlying reason for perhaps everything, I don't really find stating the obvious helpful. "The weapons were designed for those jobs in mind" is satisfactory to me, as I feel there is at least a secondary level of truth in the matter.

On the completely other hand, I realize giving Excalibur to BLU and Annihilator to COR would change virtually nothing. I also realize everyone in America sending me one dollar would also change virtually nothing. If only.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2012-07-26 21:43:36  
Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
Siren.Kyte said: »
I'm not following the causation here so you're going to have to speak more precisely.

What would make their stance dumber? Why?

Quote:
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2012-07-26 21:46:37  
I still feel SE is being a bit too hasty on their judgement on GEO/RNF in regards to Relic (though wasn't expected in all honesty)/Empyrean (which are more recent). There shouldn't be a reason why they couldn't add RNF to the Great Sword and GEO to either the club or staff. They're banking on people and Neo-Salvage being popular. What if its not?
By Avitori 2012-07-26 21:51:58  
With Seekers of Adoulin, players will receive private islands that they can use like a farm.

Oh heck yes!

Mizuki Ito- Well, one of the most memorable things for me recently is the announcement of Hiromichi Tanaka’s retirement. While I was saddened by that fact that he is retiring, I feel very proud and fortunate to be a developer at the same company with a person who retired while being loved by many of the fans.

lol
 Bismarck.Phetty
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Phetty
By Bismarck.Phetty 2012-07-26 22:12:25  
So did they just unofficially say there will be new end game weapons/armor along the lines of relic/mythic/emp in SoA
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2012-07-26 22:52:56  
the teleport sounds lame , hands down . even with abyssea you have to travel out and find the maw yada yada to be able to tele (something added later like ToAU) . this fact coupled with the farmville island has almost completely let the air out of this ballon for me . no access to emp weapons but they have access to relic and emp armor ? i still dont understand why only zilartian jobs have relic weapon access but every job has relic armor . unless this new expansion has endgame content like the previous full expansions (well maybe not like WoTG , WoE was kind of a let down) then i see no reason for it but to try and draw back lost subscriptions or generate renewed interest . they could easily tack it onto the AU continent since it appears to be a part of it anyway from the SS/concept art . edit : even after reading the cut and paste from camate i would need some explaination why they get relic armor but not weapons if the logic for weapons is important why isnt it applied to armor.........
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-07-26 23:17:43  
Avitori said: »
Mizuki Ito- Well, one of the most memorable things for me recently is the announcement of Hiromichi Tanaka’s retirement. While I was saddened by that fact that he is retiring, I feel very proud and fortunate to be a developer at the same company with a person who retired while being loved by many of the fans.

lol
You know what? I don't have words to express my contempt for you and people like you. Despite that I'll try and fail anyway.

Your view, and all of you "BARANSU!!" *** have a level of ignorance I find detestable. You're not funny. The people who think you're funny are just as ignorant and detestable as you are.

Hiromichi Tanaka is a man I deeply respect, a regard I don't suspect I'll ever have of you. Along with Sakaguchi he was one of the 3 founders of Final Fantasy, and to a large degree Square LTD as a company. And not just a financier; he was at ground zero for developing this entire series. He helped build a company, a legacy, that while it does not exist anymore, remains in my memories as one of the greatest experiences of my childhood era.

I don't give one flying *** about your qualms with this or any MMO, and your lack of insight that these things are inherently designed to be timesinks, inherently designed to dissatisfy the masses with status quo such that they keep playing, and inherently invite the most unskilled and uneducated gamers I have ever had the displeasure of meeting.

The man is an icon for a generation of gamers who grew up with his games. Show some *** respect.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-26 23:21:44  
k
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-07-26 23:45:39  
I hope tanaka never has anything to do with another videogame for the rest of his life.
 Lye
By Lye 2012-07-26 23:48:04  
Phoenix.Mikumaru said: »
the teleport sounds lame , hands down . even with abyssea you have to travel out and find the maw yada yada to be able to tele (something added later like ToAU) . this fact coupled with the farmville island has almost completely let the air out of this ballon for me . no access to emp weapons but they have access to relic and emp armor ? i still dont understand why only zilartian jobs have relic weapon access but every job has relic armor . unless this new expansion has endgame content like the previous full expansions (well maybe not like WoTG , WoE was kind of a let down) then i see no reason for it but to try and draw back lost subscriptions or generate renewed interest . they could easily tack it onto the AU continent since it appears to be a part of it anyway from the SS/concept art . edit : even after reading the cut and paste from camate i would need some explaination why they get relic armor but not weapons if the logic for weapons is important why isnt it applied to armor.........

I hope they punctuate in Adoulin.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8