フォーラム » FFXI » Endgame » Salvage/Assault » NNI - how my group wins on Odin
NNI - how my group wins on Odin
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Cerberus.Tikal
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-05-13 14:36:12  
My original group had higher end DDs who had already achieved a healthy maximum on their jobs, and we cleared NNI efficiently and effectively. My second group, who were my direct and long-term friends, were well geared but not maximized, and we had about the same win rate as you, give or take. Granted, this was pre-nerfs, but Embrava was also a lot stronger.

What's your general strategy on floor types Kiyara? I'll respond here, but you're also welcome to PM me and I can respond there too. I can go through a step-by-step breakdown of floor types and see if there's any suggestions I can make for you.
 Siren.Kiyara
サーバ: Siren
user: Kiyara
By Siren.Kiyara 2013-05-13 14:54:05  
As far as my general strat, this is what I do for floors :

Specific Mob - split up people in multiple directions to find the mob. It's easily soloable as well. This is by far the easiest of all the objectives and should be a quick kill which we average anywhere from 30 sec to 1 min. Bard stays at start point to floor jump.

Toau family mobs - this one can be a problem at times depending on the layout and mobs. We still split up in groups of 2 dds and 1 mage and call for help on mobs to help other group locate mobs. Again it depends on how many spawn and how big the floors are. (5 puddings for example in a huge floor layout is going to take 5 minutes)

Lamps - again this varies but generally we split up to cover more ground and each "claim" a lamp while bard stays at starting lamp to call times and order and to floor jump. Also make sure everyone to bring oils and powders to avoid aggro. Some stuff we have to kill or aggro since the layout contains true sight/sound mobs etc. If it's only 1 lamp, we usually call for help on one mob near lamp so people can find the lamp easier.

Enemy Leader - same strategy as specific mob just slightly longer on time to kill. Call for a help a must to help other party members locate mob to find/kill quicker.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-05-13 15:12:55  
Defeat all enemies: Defeat all enemies is one of the longer floors. Varying on floor size and quantity of enemies, it can be a pain in the ***. On floors like this, the DDs paired into twos and called a direction (Three directions max from rune typically. DD set A calls East, DD set B calls West, and say Dead End (DE) when they reach the end of their path. The first set to complete their direction should double back and get the third route if applicable, or catch up with the other pair.) The DDs should pair up based on survivability, e.g. Apocalypse DRK was paired with a MNK, where the two WARs paired with each other and the SCH followed the WARs. If you use WARs, they should have PDT (All DDs should have PDT sets actually, and learn when training is a benefit, but also a negative) sets and Fell Cleave if able (meaning, be smart. Know your enemies and know your capabilities. If you die, its a hard penalty on your team). It can wipe out a room quickly. DD pairs should split up at intersections and be perceptive of how the split works (Two dead-ends, one dead-end and a continuous path, two rooms full of mobs, etc.), and make calls dependent on the circumstances. Voice chat helps, but players that know each other well can communicate concisely.

Specific enemy: Smart tabbing and intuition are your best friend here. Not much else to say. DD sets are redundant, don't use them.

Family: DD sets are best here. Family is either 3, 5, or 7 to my knowledge, so count off how many you kill.

Boss: Same as specific enemy. Split up, but come together to clear the NM.

Same time: Same time lamps should be hit immediately as you find them (Within reason. There's about a 20~30 second window between the first and last lamp where lamps can be activated and the rune cleared). That way, if you find them all in rapid succession, you clear the floor fastest. Being observant of your surroundings, and hitting multiple lamps within your radius is your best bet, leaving the others to scour for other lamps. Your team all has to be on the same page, and understand the basics here. This seems silly to say, but I can't tell you how many runs I did with a pick-up and he just mashed a single lamp for five minutes, totally killing a run, because he didn't grasp the core concept. Lamps are what kill runs.

Order: Hit each lamp as you find it, and make sure someone is dedicated lamp caller. The reason you hit on-find (and label numerically) is that once they all activate, it tells you how many lamps there are. If they all don't turn on, you're obviously missing a lamp. Faster you know you have all the lamps, the better. It also lets you execute one combination, and work from there. The callers mastery of the patterns, and your communication skills are key here. Create a simple call out for a lamp staying on or turning off, whether it be X for off and O for on, or whatever. This can waste a lot of time if people don't do their duty of calling out, or remembering their lamps' numbers. A single person holding multiple close lamps here is also viable.

Code: Sounds like you've got code down just fine. Hermes drinks are *** great for these.

Do you leave one player at the rune always? Run time wastes a lot of time.
[+]
By Ophannus 2013-05-13 15:43:20  
I prefer 4 different melee because they each bring something different.

I ran with:

DRG/SAM(High TP gain, healing Breath, smiting breath on things with PDT, wyvern adds considerable damage on weak things, doesnt need support due to Heal breath). A lot of mobs are weak to piercing in NNI and Sonic Thrust is highly effective when positioned correctly. Stardiver is exeedingly powerful in lower level floors, easily doing 3-4k depending on gear.

BLU/WAR(Extremely effective at cleaving with Whirl of Rage. Can run into a room full of mobs and CA+Efflux them all for 3k+stun. Sudden lunge makes Chariots and Soulflayers laughable. Can AoE sleep if stuff gets out of hand, their heavy strike or delta thrust can oneshot lesser mobs without disengaging their current mob. One of my fave tactics was engaging a bunch of mobs at once, sleep them all, while meleeing one, I'd Mortal Ray one behind me so while I'm killing the lesser ones around me, Doom takes care of the last one. BLU are self sufficient with Bloodrake and magic fruit, can AoE 5 min haste with Diffusion. Delta Thrust helps on NMs with its -10TP/tick plague.

DRK/SAM (With Apoc they are self sufficient, can stun nasty TP moves and AoE's good for leaders like the BLU Soulflayer and the Frog. Weapon Bash and Stun are pretty awesome. Twilight Scythe makes Cardamom Custard a breeze.

SAM/WAR Excellenet all around good DD, can self SC and destroy NMs and bosses. Muramaseru for Cardamom Custard primarily but its nice for flans in general. Warding Circle from SAM main gives like +17% damage against demons which helps immeasurably against not only Soulflayers but also the floor 100 boss which is a Dvergr and classified as a Demon.
 Asura.Thannatos
サーバ: Asura
user: Thannatos
By Asura.Thannatos 2013-05-13 15:47:43  
I'd like to see four SAMs on a custard.
 Siren.Kiyara
By Siren.Kiyara 2013-05-13 15:48:41  
Definitely the lamp tip is nice to know. I'll try out the "tap the lamp as soon as you find it". Maybe that will save us a minute or 2. I thought family was 2-5. I never seen 7. I've only seen between 2 and 5. Lamps and All floor usually kill our times which seems to be the case overall. I forgot to put All mobs strat. We usually split into 2 groups as you stated and clear up mobs and travel to areas which haven't been covered by the other team.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-05-13 15:49:36  
Does someone stay at rune the entire time?
 Siren.Kiyara
By Siren.Kiyara 2013-05-13 15:50:20  
Yes we have the bard at the rune always.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-05-13 15:52:15  
Okay. Besides what I said, think about what you can do in your own process to shave off seconds without reducing efficiency. It adds up.
 Siren.Kiyara
By Siren.Kiyara 2013-05-13 16:05:49  
I'll try the lamp suggestion that may help. How many floors should I honestly be averaging a run? 12 seems to be my average but other people say I should be averaging 15-20.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-05-13 16:07:01  
17 was my average, but the event was totally different.
 Odin.Sawtelle
サーバ: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-05-13 16:08:04  
It depends on desired win rate. I seem to recall it was 16 to have a solid (maybe 50%?) win rate if aiming for 100.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-05-13 16:27:52  
Yeah, worth noting that my group went for 100 wins. I'd + you Carraway but can't on this computer for some blasted reason.
 Siren.Kiyara
By Siren.Kiyara 2013-05-13 19:29:13  
When you say "the event was totally different", what do you mean? Pre-update? I hear people say the update made this even harder (seems easier from what I saw in the update notes but I'm not sure about pre-update stuff). They really need to make it where every 20 floors, it betters you floor jump odds (progression bonus).

1) 0 floors completed : 1-11 floor jumps randomly
2) 20 floors completed : 2-11 floor jumps randomly
3) 40 floors completed : 3-11 floor jumps randomly
4) 60 floors completed : 4-11 floor jumps randomly
5) 80 floors completed : 5-11 floor jumps randomly
6) 100 floors completed : 6-11 floor jumps randomly

This would honestly fix Nyzul Isle and improve odds of success tremendously. Not sure if this has been suggested yet.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-05-13 19:48:54  
The difficulty of NNI has been adjusted twice now (first adjustment increased the range of possible floor jumps and the second drastically reduced mob levels). There's no reason for them to continue tinkering with it at this point.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kiyara
By Siren.Kiyara 2013-05-14 12:07:56  
Are you using a time stamp program to get all your times? Also, a question. Does the 30 min timer begin the minute you enter or when you enter the first floor?
 Ragnarok.Ravant
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ravant
By Ragnarok.Ravant 2013-05-14 12:10:20  
Siren.Kiyara said: »
Are you using a time stamp program to get all your times? Also, a question. Does the 30 min timer begin the minute you enter or when you enter the first floor?

Timer starts when the first person enters. Even if 5 people DC. Timer is still running.

Edit: Thus why people rush the box floor asap and set favorites for NNI, to get up to floor 1 quickly.

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kiyara
By Siren.Kiyara 2013-05-14 14:07:59  
I'll try some new tactics that were provided and see if that helps with my runs. I honestly thought 12 floors average is enough to hit floor 80 with a good success rate but that seems to not be the case.
 Siren.Novadragon
By Siren.Novadragon 2013-05-14 14:29:19  
My group this setup:

Sam/War-Masa 90
Mnk/War-99 Relic
War/Sam-Ukon 90
Drk/Sam-No R/M/E/D. (Or sam Masa)
Brd/Whm
Sch/Rdm

We have our sch camp the rune instead and bring the brd with us for small support on occasions. The Brd holds all our adds that engage us when we fighting family or have to run past gears. Plus brd can keep on putting up march everytime it wears off for All/Family floors

So far we been making 80 with no issue, even if bad floor jumps. We just can't make 100 yet without some problem happening. We don't use Powder Boots and making 80 seriously easily. The strats given I do agree, But a Drk is a way better Boss killer in NNI. Reso Drk will crush a Sam on bosses when buffed.

Warp in 1st floor: Nightingale/Troubadour, Pro/Shell/Regen V. Do the objective > warp up. Next Phalanx, then enthunder and repeat Regen V after next warp (But that depends how long the floors were). Some may not agree with me but we been breezing through to 80 with a 80%-90% win rate.
 Shiva.Paulu
サーバ: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-05-14 14:39:07  
For what it's worth...

So we recently went back to NNI for a LS member who missed the gear train. Our setup was

SAM/WAR 99amano
SAM/WAR 99amano
SAM/WAR 99masa
DRK/SAM 99ragna
SCH/RDM
BRD/WHM

We were able to reach 100 x3 without any outside assistance, outside of fillmode and Ventrilo. No speed hacks or powder boots.
By Rezwobwastaken 2013-05-14 14:57:31  
Paulu. You were lucky. Getting to 100 PreEmbrava nerf was still tough. Doing it now is is very hard i'm happy you guys made it to 100 however this may not be possible for avg groups. Most people will probably shoot for 80 and be safe rather than sorry. And as we all know NNI is RNG. Them lamp floors are IT if you mess up once it could cost the run.
When we did it the AVG # of floor jumps was 15-16. Sometimes we would get to the boss with 5-7 mins remaining. Other times not so much. It helps to have 2 wars that can MS reso when your short on time.
By tigroux 2013-05-14 15:52:15  
When you say "the event was totally different", what do you mean? Pre-update? I hear people say the update made this even harder (seems easier from what I saw in the update notes but I'm not sure about pre-update stuff). They really need to make it where every 20 floors, it betters you floor jump odds (progression bonus).

1) 0 floors completed : 1-11 floor jumps randomly
2) 20 floors completed : 2-11 floor jumps randomly
3) 40 floors completed : 3-11 floor jumps randomly
4) 60 floors completed : 4-11 floor jumps randomly
5) 80 floors completed : 5-11 floor jumps randomly
6) 100 floors completed : 6-11 floor jumps randomly

This would honestly fix Nyzul Isle and improve odds of success tremendously. Not sure if this has been suggested yet.
^This

Our last set of runs our group did, one of the runs I swear we got 2floor jumps 8 times...or more. So many fails because of god awful jumps that just seem to repeat themselves.
 Sylph.Staleyx
サーバ: Sylph
user: Staleyx
By Sylph.Staleyx 2013-05-14 16:18:56  
That's our main problem also,two floor jumps 2-5 times a run.
By krish 2013-05-14 16:54:07  
When you say "the event was totally different", what do you mean? Pre-update? I hear people say the update made this even harder (seems easier from what I saw in the update notes but I'm not sure about pre-update stuff).

It's harder because of the loss of full time regain and the strong regen from having embrava up the whole run. Being able to open almost every fight with a WS and not needing much in the way of healing makes big different on those kill all floors.

Post deleted by User.
By Otomis 2013-05-14 17:54:09  
@OP

This is a really great post. It is so nice to have people post very relative information for others to read wishing to accomplish the same goals. Very informative, well presented, lack elitism, thank you.
 Siren.Kiyara
By Siren.Kiyara 2013-05-17 14:21:18  
Finally got 2 wins a row with slightly above average jumps than normal. Almost lost to boss on final floor of 2nd run with 1 min remaining when he killed 4 people because of a bad charm. Need to tell DDs to stand apart from each other so charm can only hit 1 person. Also need to bring holy waters as well lol.