フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » best sub for PUP
best sub for PUP
 Hades.Evilpaul
サーバ: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Evilpaul
By Hades.Evilpaul 2009-08-29 12:33:57  
Dubont said:
I have seen a 5/5 Usu pup on remora....never ptyd with him but from what i hear hes a beast. He also subs drg and uses Vbelt/wyvern earring and has the haste attachment for his pup. All this if from what i have heard of course.
PUP can't wear V.belt.
 Asura.Gavvy
サーバ: Asura
user: Kumbai
By Asura.Gavvy 2009-08-29 12:35:40  
Shame they can't. I hate getting my Swift out of Storage :/
 Cerberus.Jiko
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-08-29 12:35:48  
Gavvy said:
Well, you're exping with bad melee really. Even on my MNK I wouldn't ask for a Madrigal.

I dont check their gear, i just sing what they tell me. ;p
 Cerberus.Geldric
user: Geldricv2
By Cerberus.Geldric 2009-08-29 13:15:12  
Your on Cerberus.
Server harbors bad melee.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-08-29 13:15:52  
QFT. xD
 Hades.Caspin
user: Caspin
By Hades.Caspin 2009-08-29 13:54:02  
/dnc on pup makes baby Jesus cry...
/war for dd and solo
/sch and soul reaver head i put 75+ blms to shame, chain 10 solo and 50+ duo and never have to rest for mp
on a 1-5 scale 1=gimp 5=the best DD on all servers
pup master = 3 automation = 3 3+3=6
I hate using Ranger frame cause it ends up tanking.
95% of the ppl that play pup have no idea....
We are fixing that slowly one server at a time.
 Remora.Dubont
サーバ: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-08-29 22:39:47  
Evilpaul said:
Dubont said:
I have seen a 5/5 Usu pup on remora....never ptyd with him but from what i hear hes a beast. He also subs drg and uses Vbelt/wyvern earring and has the haste attachment for his pup. All this if from what i have heard of course.
PUP can't wear V.belt.

swift belt i meant x.x
 Pandemonium.Vincevalentine
サーバ: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Vincevalentine 2009-08-29 23:02:14
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Caspin said:
/war for dd and solo
/sch and soul reaver head i put 75+ blms to shame, chain 10 solo and 50+ duo and never have to rest for mp

You're overestimating the master's melee. Even with stringing pummel, the master isn't THAT good. With full usu, you become a 2, without that, you're a 1 1/2. I don't care who it is. I've partied with some of the best I've ever seen, working out the math on everything, and they're still not close to their automatons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying puppetmaster at all. I've seen some great work done by them, and love having them in my ZNM shell. However, don't fluff your job to be better than it is. Being reserved about things and just showing the naysayers that they're wrong is the best approach. Just show people how it's done. If they don't want to learn, they're not going to learn.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-08-29 23:04:00  
Caspin said:

This is always the reason why people say pup is good. "Pup is good! just most people dont know how to use it"
Of course only the few Chosen by god are good at pup.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-08-29 23:06:48  
Vincevalentine said:
Caspin said:
/war for dd and solo

You're overestimating the master's melee. Even with stringing pummel, the master isn't THAT good. With full usu, you become a 2, without that, you're a 1 1/2. I don't care who it is. I've partied with some of the best I've ever seen, working out the math on everything, and they're still not close to their automatons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying puppetmaster at all. I've seen some great work done by them, and love having them in my ZNM shell. However, don't fluff your job to be better than it is. Being reserved about things and just showing the naysayers that they're wrong is the best approach. Just show people how it's done. If they don't want to learn, they're not going to learn.

I like Pups, making it easier, on a scale of 1~10, the master is like a 3.5 and the puppet is a 5.5, its nice because its split up and u dont sink MP by having so much hate on 1 person, If they got Asuran Fists(Or i had the knuckles for Pummel) Id lvl pup in a heart beat, or if they had like B H2H, im just not all for me being THAT weak compared to puppet
 Fairy.Kaoz
サーバ: Fairy
user: Loswa
By Fairy.Kaoz 2009-08-29 23:25:17  
Odd, here I have no issues with damage or acc, but of course it doesnt compare to the spike damages of my drk or smn or thf.

Pup is like any other job, learn to use it and you'll see all the pros and cons like any other job. Comparing it to another job is honestly HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Every job is different, unless of course you play it like other jobs (such as a drk war or drg playing like a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE sam that needs to ws everytime he has tp)

and for the OP, I personally used /mnk even in pts because I had H2H merits and would macro in the lv30 belt for +5 H2H skill to ws earlier than the natural level cap. Ive out-DD MNKs before in pts so all this PUP b skill crap I heard since it came out I dont understand. By having /mnk and taking hate, counter tends to be nice when it proc and if you have a decent set up for guard proc also, you can cancel out a good deal of damage. But again I have merits on H2H, that was the only reason I /mnk.

Other than that I prefer /war, even soloing. /nin and /dnc slow me down a lot and the damage isnt near equal. But thats just the way I play, I try to kill the mobs quick, not out last them. I havent tried /drg simply cuz I dont have the earring. Also something Ive liked is /sam 60+ for meditate and ws spam to keep hate and at higher lvs to close light if puppet has tp while Im soloing.
user:
By Pandemonium.Vincevalentine 2009-08-29 23:25:18

The thing is, they'd have hell hitting 8 hits in a row. That's why Stringing Pummel can be either awesome or horrid. It's like Blade: Jin but you have to gear more for Asuran Fists in regards to Accuracy, even with full h2h merits.

For me, on a 1-10 scale, a great pup who understands how to play and has the gear can be up to a 9, just based off of how many situations they can nearly master. The sad thing is, the ones doing it wrong drop all the way down to a 4. Even a crappy geared SAM wearing full Hachiman is a 5 to a 6, just due to the nature of the job. Puppetmaster is one that takes skill to play, unlike a lot of others.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-08-29 23:49:55  
Vincevalentine said:
don't fluff your job to be better than it is

Vincevalentine said:

Vincevalentine said:
[+]
 Fairy.Kaoz
サーバ: Fairy
user: Loswa
By Fairy.Kaoz 2009-08-30 00:32:42  
sorry for fluffing the job on personal experience playing the job.

Would be wrong me of me to say Spiritreaver with the right attachements and Ice maneuverx3 and merits could put a blm to shame on a single spell or even the Sharpshot could out-spike a rng with the right attachments maneuvers and merits while using Armor Piercer. Yes, its situational and rare to happen, but it doesnt mean it hasnt already been done.

Once again I apologize for personal experiences as well as others who have actually done anything.
user:
By Pandemonium.Vincevalentine 2009-08-30 00:56:16

You don't have to be a smartass about it. Sure, it's happened, but is it on a consistent basis? No. I'm happy for you that it's happened though, because that's awesome. Good to see more than just a few can play this job. I've never found it impossible to outparse a puppetmaster in merits, but not being able to get hateless nukes makes it hard for a BLM to deal with. The only disadvantage you have is not being able to choose it's spells. If you could, it'd be broken.

And when I was talking about overestimating things, I was talking in specific about the master's melee side of things.
 Asura.Gavvy
user: Kumbai
By Asura.Gavvy 2009-08-30 01:39:24  
The thing about PUP is people don't level it for thier LS uses, unlike jobs like SAM etc, they do it generally for personal usage/novelty/enjoy the uniqueness of the job. If the same ammount of people had PUP75 as SAM DRK WAR etc, then I'm sure everything would be far more cookie cut about gear/subjobs/food, and alot more mathematical on it's dmg output.

It's a good job, but it doesn't compare in a meripo to a properly geared SAM DRK MNK WAR DRG. My PUP is used for soloing things like coffer keys/testimonys/farming, because the above mentioned jobs can't do it as easily.
user:
By Pandemonium.Vincevalentine 2009-08-30 02:00:21

Ah, but don't underestimate other jobs... I agree soloing things is pretty easy as pup, but when it comes to coffer mobs, all I have to do is sub DNC on my monk, and I never stop. Some of them even go SAM/DNC, and it's constant healing (with soboro).

Each job has it's specialties for sure, but I'm going to say damage-wise, BLM Automaton against HNM/ZNM/etc is where PUP shines the most. I've been impressed by it too many times. Hell, an automaton out parsed my SAM on Tinnin more than once. I didn't stay on the mob full time, but still. That's *** hot.
 Hades.Mmakk
user: Mmakk
By Hades.Mmakk 2009-08-30 06:07:54  
My friend with 75 pup has every imaginable sub lvled. It comes down to situation. A job like PUP has to fit itself in to the situation, and most times people won't know how to fit you in...I went through this to a lesser degree as BST. Be ready to try and fit yourself in to what is needed most. Being versatile will help you more in the long run than the cookie cutter jobs. You can prove yourself where others will be judged on how they fit the situation as a given.
 Hades.Mmakk
user: Mmakk
By Hades.Mmakk 2009-08-30 06:18:54  
I just want to add that unlike the typical community, I believe every job has it's place, and your gear shouldn't reflect your skill. I've seen RDM in AF1 out-perform RDM in full relic with their dreamlands peice, and HQ staves. PUP can do great when given the chance, by a competent player. People that focus on your lack of dmg never count the dmg of the pet.
[+]
 Hades.Slayerx
user: Slayerx
By Hades.Slayerx 2009-08-30 06:27:02  
Mmakk said:
I just want to add that unlike the typical community, I believe every job has it's place, and your gear shouldn't reflect your skill. I've seen RDM in AF1 out-perform RDM in full relic with their dreamlands peice, and HQ staves. PUP can do great when given the chance, by a competent player. People that focus on your lack of dmg never count the dmg of the pet.

I agree 100%. PUP is an amazing job and very versatile and is highly under-appreciated.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Yokyumosheemo
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: shimey
By Ragnarok.Yokyumosheemo 2009-08-30 12:50:24  
You all have to remember, that /dnc is not bout being a DD cause thats what your automaton is, you have to remember /dnc, /whm and /nin over all is about survivability...Its all about staying alive..if you wanna be DD go /war, if you wanna solo/nuke go /sch
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [48 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Darkodin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Darkodin
By Phoenix.Darkodin 2009-10-17 20:11:59  
Mmakk said:

^this, so true XD your BST was great in CoP :P btw ur avatar is rlly hypnotizing xD
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-10-17 20:32:44  
N-N-N-Necro Bump.
 Bahamut.Atrithk
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-10-17 22:42:36  
[ ] Good
[ ] PUP
[ ] Not JP
You may only choose two.
[+]
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-10-17 22:47:14  
Atrithk said:

[ ] Good
[ ] PUP
[ ] Not JP
You may only choose two.

I've seen a lot of ***JP Pups. ;p
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [65 days between previous and next post]
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-21 22:38:55  
Fairy.Kaoz said:
Would be wrong me of me to say Spiritreaver with the right attachements and Ice maneuverx3 and merits could put a blm to shame on a single spell
Yep. It uses those manuevers up and takes time to get them all on especially if you trying not to overload. Plus blm gets like 13 different spells that are more powerful then even a fully magic merited spiritreaver.

And if we are gunna go with rare attachments and pump so much that it is only good for 1 spell I might as well use spirit lantern. And while your waiting to pump up another spell I am finishing the mob. With which I can kill a pudding with 2 AM2 pretty much any day of the week solo. And if it is ice/thunderday I can probably kill with just 1 AM2 and 1 T4.

I need a few more gears but I'm pretty sure I can break 3k with a bit more solo without resorting to meds.
 Fenrir.Akuma
サーバ: Fenrir
user: nasamoo
By Fenrir.Akuma 2009-12-22 00:26:55  
I'm only a 57 pup so I don't have much room to say anything as far as end game but I will agree pup is one of those jobs that can help out in a tight situation and a job that you mainly only level cause you like it. I think people only dislike it cause it's not one of the easy jobs to play. Most jobs don't take much thinking. Pup is one that it will take almost everyone that plays it time to understand.. as I've already stated I'm 57 pup and I don't know all that much about it still.

As for what to sub, I always sub war even when solo'ing I find it easier to keep hate off my pup that way and mobs die alot faster, imo. I've tried /dnc didn't care for it too much. /mnk seems useless since the only thing it was really good for in the beginning was the Martial Arts, which even at 57 is now useless. I'll admit I've tested /mnk on 2 of my 70+ jobs war and sam and the counter rate was sick but don't think it boost would help too much.. now focus might help a little but only for a short time.

But once again this is going to be my opinion, pup is one of those jobs that doesn't have 1 specific way to play it, it's one of those jobs like blu( mine is 75) that a player should customize to fit how they play. It's just a game and everyone has thier own opinions these are just mine. Have a good day.
 Kujata.Segaia
サーバ: Kujata
user: Segaia
By Kujata.Segaia 2009-12-22 02:20:57  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Yep. It uses those manuevers up and takes time to get them all on especially if you trying not to overload. Plus blm gets like 13 different spells that are more powerful then even a fully magic merited spiritreaver.

And if we are gunna go with rare attachments and pump so much that it is only good for 1 spell I might as well use spirit lantern. And while your waiting to pump up another spell I am finishing the mob. With which I can kill a pudding with 2 AM2 pretty much any day of the week solo. And if it is ice/thunderday I can probably kill with just 1 AM2 and 1 T4.

I need a few more gears but I'm pretty sure I can break 3k with a bit more solo without resorting to meds.

Agree, In initial damage blm wins hands down. If we are talking about bigger things or the neccessity of nuking over a longer period of time the situation changes, since PUP has access to unlimited mp if he doesnt screw it up.

PS.: Sad that everything in ffxi has been broken down to "it's not good in merit parties, therefore it must suck" and "colibris are the only mobs that count in this game".

If we just move to another merit camp like.. ummmm.. pff...well... Mamools for example (yes such a camp rly exists!)... I never got parsed out there on pup, because you would need a goddamn relic to do that (hai2youapocalypse). PUP can't keep up with SAM in a merit pt at colilbris because we would need to use the spiritreaver in fast-killing-situations, which would end up being a russian-roulette (not that it wouldn't be fun ;P). On Mamools you can fire out 900-1k nukes without even one ice maneuver when you have the equip to support it (my highest was 1,6k with full ice maneuvers). That's like an additional WS around every 20 secs.

But hey... as long as mamools dont have 2 wings, a big beak and a shiny pink skin they dont count, right? Veeeeery clever! lol

<3 necro bump btw.
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2009-12-22 04:18:53  
Ranged frame keeps up fairly well at birds. If it's dying, something's wrong with the rest of your party. I love leveling with a PUP friend of mine, and I'll rip hate right off his Auto if he's having trouble keeping it alive.

It's all about working together, not about your individual job.
[+]