The Great Debate 2
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10
 Bahamut.Rumaha
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-06 21:54:16  
Aravol said:
I think, due to the split controversy of same sex marriage, that states should vote on this. If the state votes yes, then yes. If they vote no, then no.
In a decision like this , i think it should go to the majority to make it fair.
I am against it but i think it should be a fairly decided situation.
I dont know what gays feel or think so i try not to judge them for that.
Thats fair i guess.

I can agree to this, but obviously I am on the Support side lol
 Garuda.Littledarc
サーバ: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 21:57:25  
you know...when it does get passed into law that it is legal for same sex marriage to happen in states they are gonna do a thing like they do for medical marijuana and have it not be recognized federally (like for federal taxes).
 Fairy.Vegetto
サーバ: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 21:57:41  
Actually, I'm sorry. I misread your position. Carry on. You'll have to excuse me. I'm in Dynamis at the moment.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-06 21:58:46  
Vegetto said:
Rumaha said:
Vegetto said:
The bible also said something about selling your daughter into slavery and something about screwing a sheep? Also, slavery is ok!

The bible says and there it must be so.

Edit: not directed at you in particularly, but just in general to anyone who wants to use that as their argument.

Oh, I was just contrasting with the bible cuz having read the majority of it and gone to a Christian School and believing that God is there, when I say that I think gays should get married they are like "Wut?, bible wut?" I try to base arguments based on what I feel and think, not based on what people think I am supposed to feel and think.

Ok, so I do understand that you are against gay marriage. You are not going to get married to another man that's for sure. But your standards for yourself, why do you feel the need to hold these same standards to everyone else? They're going to fk each other whether they're married or not, so what difference does it make, really?

Rumaha said:
Oh snap,

Ok well, Imho I think sure why not, 50% of men + women can't keep a marriage together, why not give them a shot, not like it effect's me personally, Let them be normal people(which they are) and let them be happy, and I was/am a church goer and believe in God, and have read the Bible and gone to a private christian school( I say this because many people that don't like this idea seem to do these things as well), they are people and thus should have the same inalienable rights as all other people in this country, the land of the free and the home of the brave.

My point was I support them but I read the bible, which is not the way it is "supposed to be" according to The Bible and like pastors etc

Edit**

Vegetto said:
Actually, I'm sorry. I misread your position. Carry on. You'll have to excuse me. I'm in Dynamis at the moment.

Mmk, Leavin the post there anyway lol.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 21:58:56  
Littledarc said:
you know...when it does get passed into law that it is legal for same sex marriage to happen in states they are gonna do a thing like they do for medical marijuana and have it not be recognized federally (like for federal taxes).

lol, my brother is on medical weed over in Cali
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-09-06 21:59:05  
Tousou said:
I'll try to keep this short...

0/2 so far on something I have a real standpoint on, but what does it really matter? I stand by marriage being a decision based on love, and wanting to be with one person for the rest of your life. Find a religious figure willing to perform the rites, and viola! You're married. Or is it more of the State recognition thing?
Yes it's more about being recognized by the state so that you and your partner receive the same benefits as a heterosexual married couple. It's the belief of some that them being together and being in a partnership is just fine, but not that they get these benefits because marriage is for a man and a woman only, and I think that is more insulting than just being against it altogether.

Aravol said:
I think, due to the split controversy of same sex marriage, that states should vote on this. If the state votes yes, then yes. If they vote no, then no.
In a decision like this , i think it should go to the majority to make it fair.
I am against it but i think it should be a fairly decided situation.
I dont know what gays feel or think so i try not to judge them for that.
Thats fair i guess.
I agree that making it a national decision for Congress or the president to decide would be asking too much and just cause a ton of controversy as well as rally up massive opposition that would just repeal or amend it when they were in power anyway. Leaving the power to the individual states seems like a much better idea and that is currently and hopefully continues to be how this plays out. ***just isn't going to fly in some places and the last thing anyone wants is for angry citizens to start going berserko over /another/ issue. lol
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 21:59:41  
Rumaha said:
Vegetto said:
Rumaha said:
Vegetto said:
The bible also said something about selling your daughter into slavery and something about screwing a sheep? Also, slavery is ok!

The bible says and there it must be so.

Edit: not directed at you in particularly, but just in general to anyone who wants to use that as their argument.

Oh, I was just contrasting with the bible cuz having read the majority of it and gone to a Christian School and believing that God is there, when I say that I think gays should get married they are like "Wut?, bible wut?" I try to base arguments based on what I feel and think, not based on what people think I am supposed to feel and think.

Ok, so I do understand that you are against gay marriage. You are not going to get married to another man that's for sure. But your standards for yourself, why do you feel the need to hold these same standards to everyone else? They're going to fk each other whether they're married or not, so what difference does it make, really?

Rumaha said:
Oh snap,

Ok well, Imho I think sure why not, 50% of men + women can't keep a marriage together, why not give them a shot, not like it effect's me personally, Let them be normal people(which they are) and let them be happy, and I was/am a church goer and believe in God, and have read the Bible and gone to a private christian school( I say this because many people that don't like this idea seem to do these things as well), they are people and thus should have the same inalienable rights as all other people in this country, the land of the free and the home of the brave.

My point was I support them but I read the bible, which is not the way it is "supposed to be" according to The Bible and like pastors etc

Yea, I misread, my bad. Already slipped it in before you could hit reply lol
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-06 22:00:31  
I haven't seen an argument against gay marriage that didn't include some ideology that some religion set forth. It's always "God says this..."

If "marriage" is a religious ideology, then the government needs to step off. Stop giving special rights to married couples, heterosexual or homosexual. Of course, the hetero community will be up in arms about it, and cry discrimination against them.

What difference does it make whether gays marry or not? Heterosexuals abuse the sanctity of marriage too. People marry for money. People marry for green cards. I don't see the government (or any lolvotes) trying to police THEIR marriages. As far as they're concerned, it's all gravy to them.

EDIT: In a country where over 50% of heterosexual marriages end in divorce (the USA), I don't see the issue in giving the gays a shot to show the rest of us how it's done.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-06 22:00:48  
Edited leavin the post there anyway lol, just cause lol
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-06 22:00:48  
"The State...has absolute right to prescribe the conditions upon which the marriage relation between its own citizens shall be created, and the causes for which it may be dissolved," Pennoyer v. Neff, 95 U.S. 714 1878
 Odin.Karusan
サーバ: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-09-06 22:02:52  
Just a quick mention, while you're all talking about your own opinions based on your own experience, remember that this is a forum with posters from all around the world - "states should vote" isn't going to make a difference to other countries.

I'm working on my post but just wanted to mention the try not to be too inwardly focused -only-, inwardly focus is fine but remember everyone else too.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 22:04:03  
Ludoggy said:
"The State...has absolute right to prescribe the conditions upon which the marriage relation between its own citizens shall be created, and the causes for which it may be dissolved," Pennoyer v. Neff, 95 U.S. 714 1878

Still interested in hearing your reasoning on why YOU think gays should not be allowed to marry other than this person said this or this person said that. What do you find that ist ruly wrong w/ it?
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-06 22:05:30  
Karusan said:
Just a quick mention, while you're all talking about your own opinions based on your own experience, remember that this is a forum with posters from all around the world - "states should vote" isn't going to make a difference to other countries.

I'm working on my post but just wanted to mention the try not to be too inwardly focused -only-, inwardly focus is fine but remember everyone else too.

Well in reference to our country at least I think it should be a state decision, to the rest of the world, Idk lol, Provence decision? or something not setting it for the whole country, but like, each section gets to choose, Idk how you all break up your countries etc.
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 22:06:21  
Vegetto said:
Littledarc said:

lol, my brother is on medical weed over in Cali

what's sad about that is the state isn't enforcing the state laws by allowing the DEA to raid dispensaries and seize their patient records (that's illegal too btw). they just sit there and let them even though it's highly controlled and only for medical purposes.

but back on topic.

i think if gays and lesbians want to call it something else then they should be able to choose what it's call but if they would rather have it called marriage then i'm all for that too. i really don't care either way, but i'd like them to have the choice for themselves.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 22:08:25  
Lol its not like
{Heteros) We got dibs on marriage, you can have the same rights, but call it something else
(Homos) HEY I LIKE THAT NAME!
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-06 22:08:40  
Vegetto said:

Still interested in hearing your reasoning on why YOU think gays should not be allowed to marry other than this person said this or this person said that. What do you find that ist ruly wrong w/ it?

I think Gay marriage shouldn't be, is because the majority still doesnt want it.
and the argument for gay marriage is "You cant pull religion into this...so you have no reason on why it shouldnt be." that argument will be used for other people "you cant stop me from marring two people."
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 22:09:42  
this isn't juicy enough...nobody is taking the other side. WHERE ARE THE RIGHT WING CHRISTIANS WHEN YOU NEED THEM!?!?!
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 22:10:55  
Ludoggy said:
Vegetto said:

I think Gay marriage shouldn't be, is because the majority still doesnt want it.
and the argument for gay marriage is "You cant pull religion into this...so you have no reason on why it shouldnt be." that argument will be used for other people "you cant stop me from marring two people."

So, on your positioning, if they voted for gay marriage, you'd be fine with that?

If that is the case then I don't have an argument and I have no need to challenge your opinion.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 22:11:29  
That being said, as soon as some law that you don't approve of is voted in, I don't want to hear you complaining, lol.

Or about who is voted in. obama bush ect. They were voted in and the people are right!
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-06 22:11:36  
Littledarc said:
this isn't juicy enough...nobody is taking the other side. WHERE ARE THE RIGHT WING CHRISTIANS WHEN YOU NEED THEM!?!?!

I mean, I can sub in for them if you really want >.>;; Or I'll go get my dad :O lol
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 22:11:37  
who are you to say the majority doesn't want it? we hasn't EVER voted as a whole country on whether or not we want it or don't want it.

edit: hell with that argument how about this: SE doesn't do more about RMT because not enough people complain so they must like RMT.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-06 22:12:21  
Vegetto said:

So, on your positioning, if they voted for gay marriage, you'd be fine with that?

If that is the case then I don't have an argument and I have no need to challenge your opinion.

If the people wanted it then I'd be for it.
 Asura.Sidi
user: Sidi
By Asura.Sidi 2009-09-06 22:13:07  
I don't really understand the huge opposition to it... I understand the bible thing, and how for Christians it isn't right, etc.

But Christianity isn't the only religion out there. Buddhists are allowed to get married, and they don't follow the bible, same for Atheists, Hindus, Judaism, Shintoism, etc. If all those religions are allowed to get married, in their own form of celebration, why aren't homosexuals?

I understand if a Catholic priest refuses to marry a gay couple, because it is against his religion, that is that church's choice. But refusing to allow gay couples to marry at ALL, regardless of the type of celebration they wish, just doesn't make sense.

I know its basically because we're in a transition period where people are slowly becoming more and more able to accept homosexuals and all, but when it comes down to the legal terms of it, I don't see any reason where it has to be law that a marriage is JUST between a man and a woman. There is supposed to be a separation between church and state (in the US, as well as numerous other countries), and forcing that definition seems to be holding onto religion.

I suppose that in the past, for biological reasons, it makes sense where just a man and woman would be considered, because they could have children and continue the race... but these days, there are still sterile people that are allowed to get married, and there are ways around it (in vitro fertilization, adoption), and we aren't exactly on the brink of extinction either

I don't know... obviously I support it, its just that I don't understand why it is such a big issue... it seems to come down to just religion, and I don't believe the term "marriage" should be seen in pure religious terms.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 22:13:26  
Ludoggy said:
Vegetto said:

If the people wanted it then I'd be for it.

You honestly don't have your own opinion on it though? For example, if people voted on something you really hated, you'd still be for it?
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-09-06 22:14:05  
Katarzyna said:
I haven't seen an argument against gay marriage that didn't include some ideology that some religion set forth. It's always "God says this..."

If "marriage" is a religious ideology, then the government needs to step off. Stop giving special rights to married couples, heterosexual or homosexual. Of course, the hetero community will be up in arms about it, and cry discrimination against them.

What difference does it make whether gays marry or not? Heterosexuals abuse the sanctity of marriage too. People marry for money. People marry for green cards. I don't see the government (or any lolvotes) trying to police THEIR marriages. As far as they're concerned, it's all gravy to them.

EDIT: In a country where over 50% of heterosexual marriages end in divorce (the USA), I don't see the issue in giving the gays a shot to show the rest of us how it's done.
I'd comment further, but I can't really foresee coming up with anything more than this. The point about separating the benefits given the religious connotation is a very good one, and I never really considered that. That kind of makes this whole issue *** for me just because of how much resistance there is to it solely because "some people" want everyone else to fit into their own magical bubble of how they think things should work.

That and I can't be bovvered to stop listening to this Narwhal song.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-06 22:14:18  
Littledarc said:
who are you to say the majority doesn't want it? we hasn't EVER voted as a whole country on whether or not we want it or don't want it.

A majority of states have had votes by the people.
Hell even the big Blue state of California said no twice!
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 22:15:20  
"But Christianity isn't the only religion out there. Buddhists are allowed to get married, and they don't follow the bible, same for Atheists, Hindus, Judaism, Shintoism, etc. If all those religions are allowed to get married, in their own form of celebration, why aren't homosexuals?"

I like this point.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-06 22:16:17  
Vegetto said:

You honestly don't have your own opinion on it though? For example, if people voted on something you really hated, you'd still be for it?

If there was a vote to change to kill all doggies and the majority wanted it...I'd still be against it.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-06 22:17:39  
Vegetto said:
So if there were a state that voted the legal age of consent 12, that'd be it? The vote decides all?

I'd so move to that state... note that there are many countries that have that as there age of consent
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 22:17:41  
Ludoggy said:
Vegetto said:

If there was a vote to change to kill all doggies and the majority wanted it...I'd still be against it.

So, again, why are YOU against gay marriage. Aside from "the people voted"

Because I guarantee if they voted for killing off the doggies or w/e that you wouldn't like, you wouldn't simply be fore it just because other people do.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10