フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » The Great Debate 2
The Great Debate 2
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10
 Bahamut.Rumaha
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-06 22:18:03  
Being as my only experience lies in Christianity I do not have the right to comment on other religions (imo at least) :/
 Garuda.Littledarc
サーバ: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 22:18:07  
as a WHOLE COUNTRY. as in the popular vote. not a majority of states, not california, the whole country. kinda like if we went with the popular vote in the presidential race bush would not have won against gore.
 Fairy.Vegetto
サーバ: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 22:18:51  
Dasva said:
Vegetto said:
So if there were a state that voted the legal age of consent 12, that'd be it? The vote decides all?

I'd so move to that state... note that there are many countries that have that as there age of consent

interesting...
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-06 22:19:05  
Vegetto said:

So, again, why are YOU against gay marriage. Aside from "the people voted"

Because I guarantee if they voted for killing off the doggies or w/e that you wouldn't like, you wouldn't simply be fore it just because other people do.

Ludoggy said:

I think Gay marriage shouldn't be, is because the majority still doesnt want it.
and the argument for gay marriage is "You cant pull religion into this...so you have no reason on why it shouldnt be." that argument will be used for other people "you cant stop me from marring two people."

I stand by my previous statement.
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 22:20:00  
so because other peopel don't want it you don't want it?

sounds like a sheep vote to me -.-;
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-06 22:20:08  
Littledarc said:
as a WHOLE COUNTRY. as in the popular vote. not a majority of states, not california, the whole country. kinda like if we went with the popular vote in the presidential race bush would not have won against gore.

Last I checked marriage laws are made by a state to state basis.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-09-06 22:20:59  
Vegetto said:
Ludoggy said:
Vegetto said:

You honestly don't have your own opinion on it though? For example, if people voted on something you really hated, you'd still be for it?

If there was a vote to change to kill all doggies and the majority wanted it...I'd still be against it.

Because I guarantee if they voted for killing off the doggies or w/e that you wouldn't like, you wouldn't simply be fore it just because other people do.

You seem to be missing his point, or I'm misinterpretting him: he has no view point on it, therefore he'd be fine with what the state says.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 22:21:07  
Unless I'm reading incorrectly, you're contradicting yourself.

You're saying that you think gay marriage shouldn't be because the majority doesn't want it, but if the majority wanted to kill off all dogs, you'd be against it.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-06 22:21:47  
I've told you my beliefs and I welcome to hear yours. Move on, this thread isnt about me.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-06 22:21:48  
Littledarc said:
Vegetto said:
Littledarc said:
you know...when it does get passed into law that it is legal for same sex marriage to happen in states they are gonna do a thing like they do for medical marijuana and have it not be recognized federally (like for federal taxes).

lol, my brother is on medical weed over in Cali

what's sad about that is the state isn't enforcing the state laws by allowing the DEA to raid dispensaries and seize their patient records (that's illegal too btw). they just sit there and let them even though it's highly controlled and only for medical purposes.

Going off topic cause I feel more strongly about this. Medical MJ is not that highly controlled or hard to get. You can find a doctor to proscribe for just about anything. I know people who are on it for undiagnosed sleep problems. Just went in and are like I have trouble sleeping weed makes me mellow and bam prescription
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 22:21:56  
just because it's legal in a state doesn't mean it's legal federally. see medical marijuana and the DEA comment earlier. federally they could say you can't file jointly because you aren't married ect ect.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 22:22:17  
Sectumsempra said:
Vegetto said:
Ludoggy said:
Vegetto said:

You honestly don't have your own opinion on it though? For example, if people voted on something you really hated, you'd still be for it?

If there was a vote to change to kill all doggies and the majority wanted it...I'd still be against it.

You seem to be missing his point, or I'm misinterpretting him: he has no view point on it, therefore he'd be fine with what the state says.

That is kinda my point. "Because the people voted on it" really isn't a valid argument to being with, imo. If he's undecided he may as well have said idc which way it goes.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 22:23:18  
Ludoggy said:
I've told you my beliefs and I welcome to hear yours. Move on, this thread isnt about me.

Yes you did, but like I said, unless I'm reading it incorrectly, you've still contradicted yourself.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-09-06 22:23:48  
I kinda... don't believe in marriage at all. So I guess I don't have much to contribute.

Or that may be my extremely apathetic mood.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-06 22:24:34  
Littledarc said:
just because it's legal in a state doesn't mean it's legal federally. see medical marijuana and the DEA comment earlier. federally they could say you can't file jointly because you aren't married ect ect.

Kinda depends on the issue. Technically the state has 100% say over everything that isn't specified federally. Unfortunately on somethings there is kinda some overlap or at least attempts to overlap lol.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-06 22:25:03  
Sectumsempra said:
Vegetto said:
Ludoggy said:
Vegetto said:

I think this is fairly accurate, I was thinking slightly bandwagon, till I thought a tad more about it.
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-09-06 22:25:21  
Sidi said:
I don't really understand the huge opposition to it... I understand the bible thing, and how for Christians it isn't right, etc.

But Christianity isn't the only religion out there. Buddhists are allowed to get married, and they don't follow the bible, same for Atheists, Hindus, Judaism, Shintoism, etc. If all those religions are allowed to get married, in their own form of celebration, why aren't homosexuals?

I understand if a Catholic priest refuses to marry a gay couple, because it is against his religion, that is that church's choice. But refusing to allow gay couples to marry at ALL, regardless of the type of celebration they wish, just doesn't make sense.

I know its basically because we're in a transition period where people are slowly becoming more and more able to accept homosexuals and all, but when it comes down to the legal terms of it, I don't see any reason where it has to be law that a marriage is JUST between a man and a woman. There is supposed to be a separation between church and state (in the US, as well as numerous other countries), and forcing that definition seems to be holding onto religion.

I suppose that in the past, for biological reasons, it makes sense where just a man and woman would be considered, because they could have children and continue the race... but these days, there are still sterile people that are allowed to get married, and there are ways around it (in vitro fertilization, adoption), and we aren't exactly on the brink of extinction either

I don't know... obviously I support it, its just that I don't understand why it is such a big issue... it seems to come down to just religion, and I don't believe the term "marriage" should be seen in pure religious terms.

^ This.

Not just siding with her because she's my Sidiberry, but couldn't really have said it better myself; she's pretty much said what I was going to say.

Honestly, I don't see the issue with allowing gays to marry...

Come to Canada, we'll marry you all!
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 22:25:36  
Dasva said:
Littledarc said:
Vegetto said:
Littledarc said:
you know...when it does get passed into law that it is legal for same sex marriage to happen in states they are gonna do a thing like they do for medical marijuana and have it not be recognized federally (like for federal taxes).

what's sad about that is the state isn't enforcing the state laws by allowing the DEA to raid dispensaries and seize their patient records (that's illegal too btw). they just sit there and let them even though it's highly controlled and only for medical purposes.

Going off topic cause I feel more strongly about this. Medical MJ is not that highly controlled or hard to get. You can find a doctor to proscribe for just about anything. I know people who are on it for undiagnosed sleep problems. Just went in and are like I have trouble sleeping weed makes me mellow and bam prescription

and that doctor can lose his license. that's why they seize the patient records and check all the doctors that prescribed MJ out. medical marijuana has it's uses and im 100% sure you wouldn't mind if a cripple in a chair was smoking a joint cause it eases his pain. it works wonders for a lot of different things and its natural. if they made it legal for recreation use the taxes it would bring in could turn this country around. not to mention if hemp was legal to grow clothes would last longer and such.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-06 22:27:07  
Sectumsempra said:
I kinda... don't believe in marriage at all. So I guess I don't have much to contribute.

I'll have to agree with this one. 2 of my aunts never got married but have been with same guy forever. One until she died and the other still with him. Marriage is a silly institution nowadays. Why do you got take a legally binding action to show you care for someone? Oh and apathy rocks until you stop caring about anything then you lose self ideas of preservation
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 22:28:57  
isn't there some kinda common law marriage thing that would apply to them since they were together for so long anyways?
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 22:29:12  
Dasva said:
Sectumsempra said:

I'll have to agree with this one. 2 of my aunts never got married but have been with same guy forever. One until she died and the other still with him. Marriage is a silly institution nowadays. Why do you got take a legally binding action to show you care for someone? Oh and apathy rocks until you stop caring about anything then you lose self ideas of preservation

I like it mainly for the idea if there's someone you really care about and you die before you had gotten the chance to write out a will, that they would be in charge because you trust them enough to ect.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-06 22:29:47  
Littledarc said:
Dasva said:
Littledarc said:
Vegetto said:
Littledarc said:

and that doctor can lose his license. that's why they seize the patient records and check all the doctors that prescribed MJ out. medical marijuana has it's uses and im 100% sure you wouldn't mind if a cripple in a chair was smoking a joint cause it eases his pain. it works wonders for a lot of different things and its natural. if they made it legal for recreation use the taxes it would bring in could turn this country around. not to mention if hemp was legal to grow clothes would last longer and such.

Exactly which is why I agree to said raids and stuff. Also you'd be suprised what I'd agree to. I'm fairly anti-drugs. Especially ones that are controlled too losely. If they made it only from a pharmacy only for a proven medical reason on par with what it'd take to get morphine for example it'd be different.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-06 22:30:02  
To each his own, lets try to keep it on the gay marriage subject.

And yes Sect, I believe it is your mood lol, your view may yet change.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-06 22:30:37  
Littledarc said:
isn't there some kinda common law marriage thing that would apply to them since they were together for so long anyways?

Think it depends on the state. Not sure
 Asura.Sidi
user: Sidi
By Asura.Sidi 2009-09-06 22:32:11  
Celene said:
Sidi said:
I don't really understand the huge opposition to it... I understand the bible thing, and how for Christians it isn't right, etc.

But Christianity isn't the only religion out there. Buddhists are allowed to get married, and they don't follow the bible, same for Atheists, Hindus, Judaism, Shintoism, etc. If all those religions are allowed to get married, in their own form of celebration, why aren't homosexuals?

I understand if a Catholic priest refuses to marry a gay couple, because it is against his religion, that is that church's choice. But refusing to allow gay couples to marry at ALL, regardless of the type of celebration they wish, just doesn't make sense.

I know its basically because we're in a transition period where people are slowly becoming more and more able to accept homosexuals and all, but when it comes down to the legal terms of it, I don't see any reason where it has to be law that a marriage is JUST between a man and a woman. There is supposed to be a separation between church and state (in the US, as well as numerous other countries), and forcing that definition seems to be holding onto religion.

I suppose that in the past, for biological reasons, it makes sense where just a man and woman would be considered, because they could have children and continue the race... but these days, there are still sterile people that are allowed to get married, and there are ways around it (in vitro fertilization, adoption), and we aren't exactly on the brink of extinction either

I don't know... obviously I support it, its just that I don't understand why it is such a big issue... it seems to come down to just religion, and I don't believe the term "marriage" should be seen in pure religious terms.

^ This.

Not just siding with her because she's my Sidiberry, but couldn't really have said it better myself; she's pretty much said what I was going to say.

Honestly, I don't see the issue with allowing gays to marry...

Come to Canada, we'll marry you all!

Well, only if you live in NY or Washington DC, else it won't be recognized (and for that matter, can just go to New Hampshire or Connecticut, which is what everyone did in our hometown to get married, since its legal there)

But you could go to that place, get married to be able to socially say your married, and have that civil union to get the legal benefits... just be rather nice if it were all in one place and just done (I mean, who wants to say, yeah Sara and I got civil unioned last weekend ^^)

edit-- ok, I sort of assumed 'Civil unions' were available for all states, which just found out isn't remotely close to true, which just enforces my support for gay marriage...
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 22:32:20  
Vegetto said:
Dasva said:
Sectumsempra said:

I like it mainly for the idea if there's someone you really care about and you die before you had gotten the chance to write out a will, that they would be in charge because you trust them enough to ect.

get a trust written up. then you don't have to get married just to have that person be in charge. hell even a power of attorney.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-06 22:33:44  
Littledarc said:
Vegetto said:
Dasva said:
Sectumsempra said:

get a trust written up. then you don't have to get married just to have that person be in charge. hell even a power of attorney.

Some people just tend to think they are invincible and that nothing can happen to them outside of natural causes and wont' write their will ect. Mainly for them. I do see you point, however, not everyone will be that smart.
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-09-06 22:34:54  
Sidi said:
Cele and I got civil unioned last weekend ^^

I fixed it for you. :D <3
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 22:35:19  
it's an option at least. it might be cheaper depending on your state too.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-06 22:35:46  
Celene said:
Sidi said:
Cele and I got civil unioned last weekend ^^

I fixed it for you. :D <3

I wish! lol What about me though? ;;
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10