PSA: Flaw Identified In Voidwatch Addon (Ban Risk)

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Windower » News » PSA: Flaw Identified in Voidwatch Addon (Ban Risk)
PSA: Flaw Identified in Voidwatch Addon (Ban Risk)
First Page 2 ... 11 12 13
VIP
By Iryoku 2019-11-18 16:16:13  
This morning (November 18th, 2019) we were contacted by an anonymous user who had discoverd a serious flaw in certain modified versions of the unsupported voidwatch addon that has been widely distributed throughout the community. Use of these modified versions of the addon could result in a ban. In light of recent events and the likelihood that users could unintentionally trigger this flaw we felt it was necessary to bring this to the community's attention.

We have contacted the author and confirmed that the original version distributed at the link below does not have this flaw. We believe this flaw was initially benign, but became exploitable following the emergency maintenance on November 13th, 2019; however, we cannot be certain of this. We will not provide details of how to exploit this flaw, and this issue has been reported to SE.

The original unmodified version of the voidwatch addon can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex1jtgqz4jtmxd8/voidwatch.lua?dl=0

This addon is not distrubuted by Windower, and is not endorsed by us in any way. Use at your own risk.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-18 16:20:34  
Ok look, now everyone is just going to try and figure it out, and use it.

being vague is the worst possible thing you can do, instead of the people who just want to exploit it, now you get twice as many "just curious"
By fonewear 2019-11-18 16:24:58  
Let me guess the packets did a thingy that might be bad.

I'm glad I could clarify this for everyone.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Jinxs
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2019-11-18 16:37:14  
Caerda said: »
Was the flaw an "accident"?
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
サーバ: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2019-11-18 16:38:29  
Based on the nature of the addon and recent issues with Duping, I'm willing to bet that it has something to do with spiting out HMP at an increased rate or whatever.
[+]
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2019-11-18 16:40:16  
Caerda said: »
Was the flaw an "accident"?
The flaw is believed to be unintentional, and as stated it is also believe the flaw was initially benign.
[+]
By spengler 2019-11-18 17:12:12  
The flaw isn't as glamorous as you would imagine and certain conditions have to be met.

That being said, if you want to get banned just like people did with medals, feel free.

I would highly suggest not using this add-on in general but eh.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mithlas
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Shinzaku
By Quetzalcoatl.Mithlas 2019-11-18 17:18:04  
Oh dear
[+]
 Odin.Slore
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2019-11-18 17:19:04  
of course you wouldn't.

Is this flaw by default on or does it require additional interaction. Mainly can someone using the addon as normal trigger this effect during normal use?
 Lakshmi.Avereith
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2019-11-18 17:22:09  
"attn everyone: here is this thing that I didn't need to tell anyone about, but let's watch a bunch of people try to figure out what I'm talking about to take advantage of the game in some way and then laugh when they are banned"
[+]
By spengler 2019-11-18 17:22:25  
Not sure why you'd ask that question if you read his post.

If you want to continue using the add-on, delete your version and download the one in OPs post.

Sounds pretty smart to continue botting an event that SE will be looking directly into though. Darwinism at play
[+]
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2019-11-18 17:23:36  
Odin.Slore said: »
of course you wouldn't.

Is this flaw by default on or does it require additional interaction. Mainly can someone using the addon as normal trigger this effect during normal use?
It is possible to trigger the flaw in normal use. Normal use was the case for the anonymous reporter who noted the behavior, that resulted in the windower team looking into the issue.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mithlas
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Shinzaku
By Quetzalcoatl.Mithlas 2019-11-18 17:27:00  
Once it's patched, I'm curious to know what it was lmao
By Jetackuu 2019-11-18 17:27:20  
Lakshmi.Avereith said: »
"attn everyone: here is this thing that I didn't need to tell anyone about, but let's watch a bunch of people try to figure out what I'm talking about to take advantage of the game in some way and then laugh when they are banned"

You obviously don't know the guy at all. Try to not be so dumb.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2019-11-18 17:30:20  

The flaw was reported to SE by the team after verifying the reported behavior. If the community was not informed of the unsafe condition presented by the modified file, the team would feel responsible for any of the resulting bans that could have been avoid.
[+]
By spengler 2019-11-18 17:31:21  
Yet another reason why these tools shouldn't be getting promoted in so many places.. the irony writes itself
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Slore
By Odin.Slore 2019-11-18 17:37:13  
Remember to comment out the pulse weapon part or enjoy your cells :)
By tyalangan 2019-11-18 17:44:12  
Fenrir.Niflheim said: »

The flaw was reported to SE by the team after verifying the reported behavior. If the community was not informed of the unsafe condition presented by the modified file, the team would feel responsible for any of the resulting bans that could have been avoid.
This timing is just a bit strange. Was he reporting “normal use” so he didn’t seem like he was purposely hacking the addon and was he purposefully hacking the add on because of the recent events or have people been seeing these “flaws” and never mentioned it until now because they saw the ban from the previous exploit.

I just highly doubt normal use caused it with how many people most likely use this addon and it now coming to light.

Edit: writing on mobile
 Lakshmi.Avereith
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2019-11-18 17:44:31  
Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
the team would feel responsible for any of the resulting bans that could have been avoid.
does the team feel responsible for all the people it just banned by proxy when SE investigates the "serious flaw" that was just reported? You know, because the .lua was already in use and all of the people using it before this was brought to attention are already ****ed..... and thus there was NO POINT in letting anyone know.

How about responsibility for all the new bans from all the idiots curious enough to delve into the code and figure out the exploit on mules or other accounts (or god forbid their main accounts) now that it was brought to light for some god awful reason.

This is some 8th level, roundabout, dumb stuff
 Odin.Slore
By Odin.Slore 2019-11-18 17:49:58  
Great time to inform SE about this during a VW event. How many people were using this in last 2 weeks? How many people are gonna get nailed for this now inadvertently using it under normal conditions having no knowledge about a hack? Think SE will care that they didn't know about it?

This probably just nuked a ton of people.
By Jetackuu 2019-11-18 17:53:18  
lol wtf...
 Asura.Aquatiq
サーバ: Asura
user: Aquatiq
By Asura.Aquatiq 2019-11-18 17:54:38  
Did anyone using the VW addon really do so without the thought of getting banned crossing their mind at least once ever

Don't pretend they get the right to suddenly clutch their pearls
[+]
By ryukin182 2019-11-18 17:56:42  
The logic was almost coherent. Afraid of getting nailed again from last exploit and windower team getting blamed/targeted for lack of transparency. Now they are trying to do the right thing and be transparent... In the dumbest/stupidest/thoughtless possible way imaginable. At least their heart was in the right place?
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2019-11-18 17:59:23  
Is this an excellent troll, an actual dupe that got reported, or both?

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2019-11-18 18:01:35  
ryukin182 said: »
In the dumbest/stupidest/thoughtless possible way imaginable.
Not at all, what is wrong with you and the rest of these vaccine drinking morons?
First Page 2 ... 11 12 13