users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Cancel culture got EVO
Cancel culture got EVO
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Asura.Frod
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Frod 2020-07-03 20:58:35  
it's pretty *** telling that people here are more upset that the accusations are being made or that it's stopping a tournament, than the fact that these allegations keep coming out as true.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-03 21:01:51  
There has to be a line of separation.

If an owner of subway rapes a 15 year old girl, that shouldn't mean you have to close every god damn subway.

It's one guy. He is gone. He's a piece of ***, we all agree. Still have the event.
By Draylo 2020-07-03 21:02:59  
Yes because there are bad people all over the world. I just didn't feel the event needed to be cancelled. Do you cry at every injustice? Because there are people dying every single day that you can cry about. They removed the problematic guy in question and still had people pulling out to avoid being involved due to cancel culture.

You know what I find to be funny, they cancelled the director of that marvel movie with Disney and then later reinstated him after the mob forgot.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
サーバ: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-07-03 21:04:23  
Asura.Frod said: »
it's pretty *** telling that people here are more upset that the accusations are being made or that it's stopping a tournament, than the fact that these allegations keep coming out as true.
If these allegations are true, call the cops and go in front of a judge. What is this, the middle ages? I thought witch hunts were over. Do progressives call themselves that ironically?
[+]
 Asura.Kusare
user: gaira
By Asura.Kusare 2020-07-03 21:06:10  
the point is you can fire the creep and be upset about what he did without dragging the entire company down at the same time.

the smash bros guys though, *** that whole scene is disturbing.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-03 21:07:40  
Every group of people has bad people. That's just a fact of life.
By Viciouss 2020-07-03 21:09:34  
The CEO, also known as a pedo, was set to make a load of money from EVO this weekend. The participants, not the boogeyman, had a problem with that and dropped out.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-03 21:11:57  
But then after he would not make any more money, the event stayed cancelled.

It's a virtual event. The difference between no and yes, is literally nothing. There's no stage to set, no lights to set, no mics, no pcs, no lan, no venue. It's literally just an online set of tourneys. They could still go yeah, we'll run it, and everything would be exactly the same.
By Viciouss 2020-07-03 21:13:01  
Asura.Eiryl said: »

It's a virtual event. The difference between no and yes, is literally nothing.

Where did you see he wasn't going to make any more money?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-03 21:15:23  
Quote:
In response to the allegations, Evo last night announced that Evo Online 2020 would be cancelled, and Cuellar would no longer be involved in Evo "effective immediately".

Quote:
"We are currently working towards his complete separation from the company and have relieved him of all his responsibilities", the statement said. "Going forward, Tony Cannon will act as CEO; in his position, he will take a leadership role in prioritizing greater accountability across Evo, both internally and at our events".
 Asura.Kusare
By Asura.Kusare 2020-07-03 21:15:25  
fgc needed a reboot anyway if it was going to stay esports and not bring your own tv and arcade machine like it was back in the day.\

street fighter v is out of steam, and no other franchise can carry the scene like capcom could.

online just doesnt cut it for fighting games, the netcode is never gonna allow the same reactions as a single machine.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-03 21:17:23  
Should've kept Street fighter 4 for a few years longer, 5 is trash.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-03 21:18:52  
Quote:
In response to the allegations, Evo last night announced that Evo Online 2020 would be cancelled, and Cuellar would no longer be involved in Evo "effective immediately".

Quote:
"We are currently working towards his complete separation from the company and have relieved him of all his responsibilities", the statement said. "Going forward, Tony Cannon will act as CEO; in his position, he will take a leadership role in prioritizing greater accountability across Evo, both internally and at our events".

If he's still part of the brand he would get compensated because it's a company and not just cash being handed out randomly. "working towards separation" != "Not part of the company"
[+]
 Asura.Kusare
By Asura.Kusare 2020-07-03 21:19:41  
4 had some of the most memorable matches, it was definitely the better game.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-03 21:22:31  
Asura.Kusare said: »
4 had some of the most memorable matches, it was definitely the better game.

Capcom got too greedy with the hype they generated from 4 and didn't learn how to milk it. Once sfxTekken garbage came out, I officially bounced from that scene. It never had the same hype
 Asura.Trumpet
user: Trumpet
By Asura.Trumpet 2020-07-03 21:23:41  
Eiryl pls reread my post. There was absolutely a whole production crew for this event called ten/o media, dozens of commentators, thousands of players, and almost none of them wanted to be associated with it until this is all completely settled. The guy's not suddenly dead, he owned a least a large stake in the company behind evo, it takes more than 12 hours to resolve and from his recent posts he may even be digging in his heels on it. The large companies only followed after everyone else bailed.

Yes every group has bad people, and taking an extra week or two to remove them is worth it to the good people.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-03 21:25:34  
So then you bump the event back a week and still have it. It's online. Time means nothing online.

I mean Christ it's really that easy.

Quote:
Evo 2020 was scheduled to kick off on July 4th and run every weekend in July.

4 - 5 July
11 - 12 July
18 - 19 July
25 - 26 July
31 July - 2 August
7 August - 9 August

Or broadcast less matches, skip the prelims that would've happened this weekend. There's a lot of give between "as it stands" and "completely. ***. over."
 Bismarck.Laurelli
サーバ: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-07-03 21:42:55  
Viciouss said: »

Who cares dammit! If he did or didn't make money, its not up to the outrage mob to decide that. Call the cops, deal with things the legal way.
Especially considering that the people who screech the loudest about how mad they are ALWAYS turn out to be offenders too. Why should anyone care what the mob of Twitter lunatics have to say?
 Asura.Trumpet
user: Trumpet
By Asura.Trumpet 2020-07-03 21:49:14  
ok now what about D1, Keitaro, dj nintendo, DMS, and all the other commentators who were contracted to be part of the event that have been outed as sexual predators?

@ laurelli, go read what I posted last time about the cops and sex predators at tournaments. And again, this isn't a twitter mob, this is the people involved the event directly. They are not the whiny online mob in this scenario, yall are!
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-07-03 21:50:14  
Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
Viciouss said: »

Who cares dammit! If he did or didn't make money, its not up to the outrage mob to decide that. Call the cops, deal with things the legal way.
Especially considering that the people who screech the loudest about how mad they are ALWAYS turn out to be offenders too. Why should anyone care what the mob of Twitter lunatics have to say?

Lol, the mob? It's been said repeatedly, the people that killed EVO was the people that were participating. I know you have blinders on but when the whole point of EVO is to host video game matches , it's pretty hard to do when they don't have the games or the players, some of which were victims.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-03 21:51:38  
Casters are just a luxury, not a necessity... Any player can commentate well enough.

The only things they ever say is "nice cross up" "oh he dropped the combo" "footsie game on point" "METER!" "command grab"

It's not like a moba/rts where you follow and jump around a minimap, all the action is right there.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-07-03 22:17:05  
There has to be a line of separation.

If an owner of subway rapes a 15 year old girl, that shouldn't mean you have to close every god damn subway.

It's one guy. He is gone. He's a piece of ***, we all agree. Still have the event.

It's the *** CEO of the entire event, lmfao

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and am guessing that what you're missing is that so much of the success of EVO as an organization is community. EVO, and the FGC at large, IS necessarily community-driven. Subway is not.

If one of the main faces of a community-driven event is outed as a sex criminal... ESPECIALLY in the context of all the Smash news!!... that absolutely warrants a cancellation of the event. It otherwise appears that the staff care more about business than the disrupted community, and that absolutely hurts Evo in the long-run. It's also just, you know, tasteful.

Don't act like this is some SJW cancel-culture deal being blown out of proportion. From a moral perspective this cancellation is justified, but the cancellation is absolutely Evo's best decision as a corporation in the long-run.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-07-03 22:17:55  
Casters are just a luxury, not a necessity... Any player can commentate well enough.

The only things they ever say is "nice cross up" "oh he dropped the combo" "footsie game on point" "METER!" "command grab"

It's not like a moba/rts where you follow and jump around a minimap, all the action is right there.

This is literally just false, are you kidding?
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-07-03 22:25:06  

Brah have you even watched an EVO match?
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-03 22:30:07  
Obviously. I just dont care whos talking.

I don't need someone to tell me "he punched the other guy"... I literally just saw him do it.

"oh that was cool, did you see that" .... "no ***I'm watching it?"

If "all the casters" are rapists, you don't need those casters. It's not that big a deal.

If Artosis molests children and never casts SCII again I'm not going to stop watching it because they get NoRegret to fill in. (I will if they let Wardii cast!)
((2020 GSL S2 Code S RO24 Group E starts in 20 minutes btw))
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-07-03 22:40:39  
Casting as a skill is not the same as "being able to play the game" as a skill.

Low-end players might be entertaining and be able to literally dictate what is happening but they will miss out on high-level strategic discussion (big in SF and Smash), plus they also lack the experience to analyze specific players' styles historically (e.g. how does MKLeo play his Joker? What is unique about Tea's Pacman?).

High-end players will have the strategic know-how, they'll know all the moves and character meta, framedata, etc. They'll also know about specific competitors and their styles, but it's not a guarantee that they can actually DICTATE that stuff effectively to the audience of a million-dollar event. They might not be interesting of eloquent either.

It's why research professors are often shitty at teaching. It's two different skills.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-03 22:43:05  
It's not a deal breaker.

It's already online only. That's already sub-optimal. So sub-optimal casting is par for the course.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-07-03 22:50:31  
It's not a deal breaker.

It's already online only. That's already sub-optimal. So sub-optimal casting is par for the course.

I mean... at a certain point enough is enough. You have it online which is shitty, you have bad casters which is shitty, you have netplay which is shitty, and now you have a huge sexual abuse scandal that crosses MULTIPLE of your headliner games, as well as the admin of Evo itself... a lot of pro players are personally devastated by the news and have lost a lot of faith in the community, so the competitors would be miserable and less fun to watch... it would be depressing as a spectator event...

Honestly just makes sense to scrap the event after these things pile up.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-03 22:56:25  
So one guy, can look at one kids *** twenty years ago, and 10,000 competitors have to lose $250,000, all the employees lose their pay, everyone gets screwed out of the event. Sounds fair right?

There may be other accusations, but this is what started it.

I hope my boss never assaults a minor, I don't want to get punished for it. Has to be my problem though right, burn the whole company down for great justice!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2020-07-03 23:04:08  
There's a list of no less than 50 FGC players that have allegations (some with proof some not) against them out of this. It's a PR Hurricane and regardless of your stance on cancel culture it isn't hard to see why the big companies pulled their names out of that ring.
[+]