Am I Planning It Right?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Am I planning it right?
Am I planning it right?
First Page 2 3 4
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-01-15 06:46:39  
I'm leveling PLD up and did not expect to like taking hits to the face so much that I'm considering making it my main job.

I don't like to cheap out, but I don't have any endgame gear for Paladin yet and was wondering if these sets were a good "stand-in" to use until I can get the good stuff like Homam.

Also, I intend on redoing each expansion to get Champions Galatea with 3 Haste, 3 Fast Cast; Nuevo with 5 Fast Cast, 5 Emnity; Blitzer: with Movement Speed, 3 Haste (Until I can get Homam/W:Legs).

Anyways, simply in the order that they show up on my item list, here are my gear sets:
[+]
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-01-15 06:55:12  
If I do more than 3 sets at a time the forum breaks.

Physical Kiting- Don't have a mob in mind that I'd need this for that I wouldn't straight tank, but just in case.

Flash- Trying to get a ton of haste/fast cast as well as emnity.

TP Set- For Atonement, which I hear is pretty much my best straight-tanking tool at 75.

By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-01-15 07:00:14  
Magic Defense (Not Kiting)- When Thundaga III is coming and I don't have shield bash up.

Utusemi: Ichi - I was torn on this one alot; haste, shield skill, emnity, physical damage, interruption rate down; what to do O.o;?

Magic Defense (Kiting) - For fights like Armed Gears, or something.

Do these look like good starter sets? Am I doing anything blatantly wrong? Any tips you can offer to help me on my endeavors?
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 07:04:50  
Just to be noted just because you aren't meleeing doesn't mean you are kiting. There are situations where you want to not feed tp and kiting is just kinda lol. Like say mobs with nasty tp moves (see most endgame mobs) that can be blinked well and limited support with high spike dmg dealers... also still can't see all of everything.

And your casting sets, well at least Ni and flash can be somewhat dependent on avaiable support. Specifically how much outside haste you are getting as capping -recast is most important on those. Um do you have acess to DM or Apoc nigh earrings?

Also if magic dmg isn't your biggest concern there are other range/ammo optoins. Such as thenew +2 emnity ammo or something DDish for when you tping.

Also as far as magical goes if you know what you are going into and what support your getting and the mob is primarily 1 element a good resist set will often be much much better than MDB/-magic dmg. Though if you are doing a general one -magic dmg will do alot more for you then MDB until you are at the cap of -50%.

Ichi that's kinda tough. Important that you actually get it off and recast is already fairly low anyways. Chances are you aint getting it as high as your Ni recast so put more into make sure you cast it.
 Siren.Talonn
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Talonn 2010-01-15 07:05:59  
For ichi:
Stack shield skill. If you block with your shield you will still cast. Set looks good for ichi, just need Koenig head and Knight's Earring for another +10 shield skill.

Parade Gorget <3
Seen some PLDs not use this at all....

Gonna assume you have a full hast/fast cast set for Ni. similar to what you have for Flash, thats good.

Dont forget your Cure sets!
Other than that, looks good.
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-15 07:08:47  
My PLD may only be lvl 37 so far, but I like your sets. I'm going to have to do the same thing until I can get EG gear.

There's nothing better for the ranged/ammo slot? Bibiki shell at the least would be nice in the ammo slot (for physical def), wouldn't it?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 07:13:23  
Also no walmart turban while your kiting. There are better options. Also walmart will lower recast more then 3haste/3fastcast MKE hat.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-15 07:15:49  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Also no walmart turban while your kiting. There are better options. Also walmart will lower recast more then 3haste/3fastcast MKE hat.
Ok, so since I have the turban is there any point in getting the MKE hat?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 07:19:50  
For kiting work more on -dmg gear and swap into emnity/haste for actions.

And for magical MDB too assuming your not doing resist sets. Also that Ocean rope is a really bad idea. That -int is going to make you take more dmg. While you could be getting 2 MDB or -2% magic dmg in that slot
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 07:22:40  
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ok, so since I have the turban is there any point in getting the MKE hat?
For pld? Could make a piece for ichi. Like 5% fast cast or add some shield skill and fast cast to help you get it off. Other than that off the top of my probably not.

Granted the -recast difference between 3haste/3fast cast and 5 haste is only .5% lol. So depending on your outside haste and other gear it might not matter. If you know you are close to capping anyways haste+emnity might be good.

Also why aren't you making a super pimp whm hat?
 Ramuh.Urial
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-01-15 07:24:40  
Actually Atonement id rather meh for if you aren't sub nin. If you're pld/war make sure you build your set for High HP/Def which would be used in situations like dynamis. Also I suggest never in a million years wear a jelly ring. Odd's are you will get casted on and not be able to take it off. I would suggest looking into a bomb queen ring to either A cure cheat with or what I do which is Idle with it(you can always wear an alternative for a fire based mob). Also if you aren't pld/nin I suggest the koenig shield over the terror and rosenbogen over the lamia for the hp/vit boost. But if you don't plan on tanking dynamis then odds are you wont be pld/war often and can disregard 99% of that.
Siren.Talonn said:
For ichi:
Stack shield skill. If you block with your shield you will still cast. Set looks good for ichi, just need Koenig head and Knight's Earring for another 10 shield skill.
Ohhh and yeah The koenig is nice to have, IMO knights earring is a waste of an earring from a which better choices can be made.
 Remora.Abriel
サーバ: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2010-01-15 07:27:01  
don't waste galea on fast cast + haste, more often than not W turban will be better for recast. I suggest 2 flash/stun kits, one with max recast gear, and one tailored for haste+march.

you're also going to want a purely defensive kit for when you're up against enemies that you can't rely on atonement with (anything with -%damage, darksteel and coral scale sets are a good start). other than that, work on reaching around -25%mdt before you settle into those magic sets.

things don't really change much 'till you get more end-game gear. keep the cerb. mantle for hate macro, try to get a cuch. mantle for tp build (could benefit your melee jobs as well).

hospitaler earring's great for cures on top of a pure enmity set... which I just noticed you don't have one made up yet, lol. you'll want a set packed with as much enmity as possible for abilities, it also works awesome for cures with the full IR set (shouldn't be losing much if any hp swapping this set in/out along with w/e else).
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-15 07:28:39  
Dasva, I was asking for that exact reason. I'm trying to balance expansion rewards between WHM and PLD.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 07:33:57  
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Dasva, I was asking for that exact reason. I'm trying to balance expansion rewards between WHM and PLD.
Frankly whm gets arguable the most out of MKE while pld gets a niche use hear and there.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 07:37:06  
Also Aumoniere +1this is nice if you using ammo only or aren't caring about tp
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2010-01-15 07:37:13  
koenig v. terror, terror should win in nearly every case. the difference in damage mitigation is negligable next to the boost in hp and enmity. vit really doesn't do much anything at 75 against anything that matters, better off using -%damage/hp/haste/acc/shield gear (not in that order either, which you'll benefit form more will depend on the situation, lol).

as for jelly ring, use it situationaly, yeah, but don't toss it aside unless your enemy has access to higher tier magic.

danm, I start typing that last one on a fresh page and there's several posts as I'm done...
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-15 07:39:14  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Frankly whm gets arguable the most out of MKE while pld gets a niche use hear and there.
I agree on MKE. I hadn't looked at the augments prior to about 30 minutes ago.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 07:44:57  
Kaiser shield wins big time! Same emnity like 1.5% more dmg blocked... also vit isn't completely useless endgame. It does help cures.
 Ramuh.Urial
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-01-15 07:47:03  
Meh like i had said my post was more situational for the only event worth doing /war.
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2010-01-15 07:51:56  
kaiser? bah! biggest waste of... ::mumbles off::
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 07:54:00  
Hey you can evolith kaiser/koenig with +def or MDB vs family... pretty nice in those situations
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2010-01-15 07:58:47  
+def? lol, I wonder if it increases mitigated damage (probably not gonna be interesting to test though, lol). mdb v. family could be useful, but I don't see any situation where it would be better than an IR lance w/o needing a ton of different shields which kind of defeats the purpose in the first place ><

(no moar cheese sandwiches please SE!)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 08:16:51  
As far as def.. yeah if it doesn't count as the shields def then it's worthless.

Well how situations where you aren't using lance but will still take magic dmg. Say pretty much every fight you don't kite in lol. Obviously lance will stop more magic dmg no matter what. This be more like a hybrid that still lets you melee and/or block.

And if you are only tanking so many familys... say you are only on pld tanking when you do wyrms for example or sea gods... wouldn't be that hard to get something. You can also get -4% dmg and emnity and stuff on the augmented weapon fight

Caitsith.Ilolatyou
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Bloodlust
By Caitsith.Ilolatyou 2010-01-15 08:59:30  
If you're using Joyeuse, then Brutal is a waste of an earring slot.
For an Ichi gear set, focus on shield skill and fastcast where you can't. For Ni, pile on as much haste/fastcast as you can. You'll also want a set for when shadows & recasts are down.

Just a few pieces of commonsense advice.
 Siren.Talonn
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Talonn 2010-01-15 11:04:43  
@ Abriel:
VIT doesn't do anything at 75? VIT effects your base defense and also boost the effect of Rampart and has a base booster on your cures.

PLD has a good base cure value due to their VIT and MND, if your elvaan then you can jack your cures way up. This helps maintain hate, and keep you alive. Don't ever forget your HP drop sets and macro them out before the cure gets off so attain highest cures you can. Also, Hospitaler's Earring (Cure potency +5%) macro in for cures, no questions.
[+]
 Fenrir.Shambo
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Shambo
By Fenrir.Shambo 2010-01-15 11:10:10  
home boy you planning it ryte main you planning it aright
 Asura.Humtum
サーバ: Asura
user: scapular
By Asura.Humtum 2010-01-15 11:29:00  
all i can really say is try to get some more enmity on your flash set, maybe askar/homam hands. I find out of experience with both shield Terror is better for /nin tank, smaller shields react more which helps when your trying to get shadows up in a tricky situation, and HP bonus is nice. it all depends on your tanking style, try things out for yourself. Also one thing i noticed, everyone claims Kaiser is better because of vit, then why do people use hp rings over vit rings?? something to think about anyways gl with your pld, looking great right now
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-01-15 12:23:10  
I wish I had sea lol! Other than that - Macuahuitl +1 > Joyeuse. Enmity+4 > attacking twice on pld considering pld has crappy acc and you will miss a lot on higher NMs etc.

Joyeuse is called joytoy because it's really only a toy for PLDs, or /dnc in campaign, FoV, soloing, etc.

Terror sheild Vs Koeing Sheild can go either way, personally I like the Koeing because it blocks attacks more.
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
サーバ: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-01-15 12:27:42  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
I wish I had sea lol! Other than that - Macuahuitl 1 > Joyeuse. Enmity 4 > attacking twice on pld considering pld has crappy acc and you will miss a lot on higher NMs etc.

Joyeuse is called joytoy because it's really only a toy for PLDs, or /dnc in campaign, FoV, soloing, etc.

Terror sheild Vs Koeing Sheild can go either way, personally I like the Koeing because it blocks attacks more.

You need to learn about Atonement.

Joyeuse is the best weapon for any mob where a pld can engage.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-15 12:31:00  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
I wish I had sea lol! Other than that - Macuahuitl 1 > Joyeuse. Enmity 4 > attacking twice on pld considering pld has crappy acc and you will miss a lot on higher NMs etc.

Am I being whooshed <_<

Atonement tanking is the way to go on most mobs nowadays! Enmity+4 is meh compared to the huge TP gain Joyeuse offers for Chivalry/Atonement.

To blow my own trumpet:

http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3097696&postcount=1221

I don't kite in a Joyeuse, macro in Terra's Staff etc etc.

You have the right ideas, definitely. You are thinking about it, and that is very good.
First Page 2 3 4