PLD VIT+Enmity = What?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD VIT+Enmity = What?
PLD VIT+Enmity = What?
 Fairy.Spiriel
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Spiriel
By Fairy.Spiriel 2010-02-21 15:32:01  
You appear to be what I've always refered to as a "Turtle PLD." You hunch up, acknowledge that you're going to be hit, and do your best to minimize the damage.

The best damn Paladins I've had the privledge to exp with have been turtles. You don't do that much damage, but you soak it up like a sponge and never lose hate.

For the sake of calculations, VIT will decrease what I refer to as "spike" damage. The mob can hit you for anywhere between minimum X and maximum Y, and VIT lowers Y down closer to X.

I realize I'm repeating what everyone else already has, but stacking some VIT when you can, and building a "Hate" set that you put up before using Provoke or Flash will probably be the most efficient.

Acc, Atk, and STR will increase your DD potential. Damage done is more hate for you. However, I wouldn't favor those at the expense of all else.
 Siren.Talonn
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Talonn 2010-02-21 15:38:48  
basically,

Turtle mode for EXP PTs!

/nin will allow you to idle with haste and ACC for Atonement spam without losing due to getting hit all the time

/rdm will be for large volumes or mobs that have lots of HP but low attack power (IE Adamantoise)

But as mentioned before. WAY different story for each subjob and how it should/is used by different people.

Recap of topic:
VIT + DEF for EXP PT = better (enmity macros)
The mobs will hit you, its a fact, PLD won't dodge much of anything so reducing the damage you take will decrease the the enmity lost over time. Less damage you take less enmity lost, remember this.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-21 16:40:50  
Fairy.Spiriel said:
You appear to be what I've always refered to as a "Turtle PLD." You hunch up, acknowledge that you're going to be hit, and do your best to minimize the damage.

The best damn Paladins I've had the privledge to exp with have been turtles. You don't do that much damage, but you soak it up like a sponge and never lose hate.

For the sake of calculations, VIT will decrease what I refer to as "spike" damage. The mob can hit you for anywhere between minimum X and maximum Y, and VIT lowers Y down closer to X.

I realize I'm repeating what everyone else already has, but stacking some VIT when you can, and building a "Hate" set that you put up before using Provoke or Flash will probably be the most efficient.

Acc, Atk, and STR will increase your DD potential. Damage done is more hate for you. However, I wouldn't favor those at the expense of all else.
Not to be rude, but you're talking out your ***. Aside from the additional defense from VIT affecting the pDIF range (which may lower x, y, both, or neither, depending on where you are on the curve), VIT provides a constant reduction in your target's base damage. 4 VIT = 1 less base damage for the mob hitting you = 0-4 less damage taken per hit depending on the mob's Attack. For EXP, 1-2 less damage would be a reasonable expectation provided you're eating defensive food.

Now, let's compare two TP builds at level 60. One turtles, the other DDs.

vs

The only piece I'm not confident about for EXP is the Sentinel Shield. Defense has additional benefits in that slot and Iron Ram Shield has offensive benefits as well.

Nice builds, but not overly so. PCC aside, each build is about 500k here. The DD build does cost a bit more due to using less R/E gear. Swaps into Enmity gear for hate moves and Parade Gorget as necessary should be obvious. High Breath Mantle because I did say level 60 and not 61.

Trades:

8.5% better raw DPS from weapon before anything else.
49 ACC
33 Attack
2% Haste
8 STR
5 DEX

for

28 DEF
18 VIT
8 Enmity
78 HP
-2% PDT

I'll save you the tiresome number-crunching. The only thing that comes close to justifying the second set is the HP, which reduces CE loss. However, the massive boost to your melee abilities results in more damage dealt faster, which increases your hate generation. It also means less TP moves from the mob as it will hit you less due to being dead faster. That means less damage taken and better EXP/hr.

I won't deny that a slightly more defensively-minded set is appropriate when overcamping, dying, or dealing with a lousy backline. If your party is at least decent though, the DD set far outperforms the turtle build. If you refuse to eat food, that may justify the turtle build as well. That said... Fish Mithkabobs are cheap and your party will thank you.

(This is also why PLD is ever more often being viewed as an outdated tank, btw.)
[+]
 Siren.Talonn
By Siren.Talonn 2010-02-21 16:59:31  
Big talk for a guy that doesn't have PLD leveled.....
Bar 75 PLD DDing is almost pointless. You damage output would be low. If your dealing big numbers on Colibri for example and staying alive (they do hit like little trucks) you obv. not a PLD.
Anybody who has taken PLD through Colibri will know that they hurt. Due to the lack of food being eatten and the length of the fights (depending on Level) Colibri can seriously hurt a PLD. Now, by not throwing on gear that will protect you VS. DD you will lose hate at these levels its a fact. You will be taking anywhere from 75-120/hit. You will be dealing about 25-60/hit. This is not even close to adding up on hate values.

You can get away with Melee PLD in end game now because of Atonement since it is an awesome weaponskill for PLD.

These sets show nothing that would survive with hate and deal numbers to consider yourself a PLD. I agree with Spiriel here. Turtle for EXP.
Defense, VIT, Shield+, HP = Live
EVA- (not a big deal), STR+, DEX+ = either no hate, or getting owned.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-02-21 17:01:05  
Big talk for a guy that's not very good at PLD, and pretends to be a god.
[+]
 Odin.Lowblow
サーバ: Odin
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-02-21 17:01:15  
Being a tarutaru and xping on birds almost the whole way, other then the Imps/Jnuns i got to tank.
A dd style PLD was useless. With this build, one pecking flurry would eat you alive and cause you or the mage to burn more MP.

Being a turtle and taking less dmg results in less Enmity loss. Also allowing the PLD to self cure with refresh on and completely be self efficient. Let the dd's do theyre damn job :D

Also birdies eat food and tp, soooo..ya
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-02-21 17:12:44  
I found it almost necessary to turtle against pecking flurry. Everytime Pecking flurry was used it cost me/my party a lot of MP to recover me to a decent amount of HP.

Seeing as I'm trying to keep at 85%> in this situation, a DD build isn't really ideal.

Saying that, I did sacrifice my war belt+1 for a Virtuoso, and my phalanx ring for a snipers when I was having trouble hitting them at all (low level bird parties make me cry)
[+]
 Leviathan.Novax
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2010-02-21 17:17:45  
On my road to 75 pld i usually focused on Hp Def(vit and def go hand in hand). DD pld on birds is not very fun when losing TP every 30-45 seconds.

I saw a question about blu. I personally have never been asked to use it to supertank, and i have supertanked plenty on pld/war with tacos obviously.

@ 75 it's all about haste+Acc for your atonement spam.

moving into Hnm you need a lot of different builds
HP, MDT, PDT, DEF.

Also make sure to get /dnc it's one of my favorite things in campaign.

Longpostend.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-02-21 17:21:41  
Sniper's are a bad choice even for a DD build on PLD. PLD almost naturally has enough DEF to fight things within reasonable level range. So dropping the AF body for Haub is almost negligible in DEF and damage taken. In fact the only way it'll really alter enmity is the slightly lower HP, but the melee stats will > that. You don't really need to sacrifice every slot for a DD piece but the main ones shouldn't change your play style very much.
Also consider using Herc ring rather than gorget, I always find it easier to be 50% HP rather than 85% when I'm /war. Might be risky as taru, but other races shouldn't have problems.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-02-21 17:25:18  
Got a herc ring ready to be equipped as soon as I ding lol.

In fact I was considering keeping both equipped to keep the time that I'm at 2mp a tick as high as possible.

but I don't know, I'll change situationally probably :)
 Fairy.Shiyo
user: Shiyo
By Fairy.Shiyo 2010-02-21 17:25:28  
I leveled as a DD pld, I never died because of the gear I was wearing and never made the healers have to spam heal me. I actually saved more MP by using this DD build because I was able to actually keep hate, if you're dying to 1 pecking flurry or dying at all, you're overhunting.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-02-21 17:29:15  
Fairy.Shiyo said:
I leveled as a DD pld, I never died because of the gear I was wearing and never made the healers have to spam heal me. I actually saved more MP by using this DD build because I was able to actually keep hate, if you're dying to 1 pecking flurry or dying at all, you're overhunting.

Dying isn't the issue here. DDing on Colibri simply isn't viable due to the TP stealing and food stealing.

I'd much prefer to hunch up and keep acceptable hate through JA's, than to add 10 dmg to each of my hits.

Though saying that, Accuracy is something I would go for, it's worth losing a bit of vit and def if it means your hitting consistently.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-02-21 17:36:09  
I don't think anyone suggested attack gear, just accuracy.
[+]
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
サーバ: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-02-21 17:39:42  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Got a herc ring ready to be equipped as soon as I ding lol.

In fact I was considering keeping both equipped to keep the time that I'm at 2mp a tick as high as possible.

but I don't know, I'll change situationally probably :)

the herc latent doesnt kick in unless HP < 50%
and then your gorget is HP > 85%

there basically both situational pieces
would be better off with a acc ring in its slot

i only use herc ring for enmity JA's and spellcast kicks it in if the latent is met.
[+]
 Fairy.Shiyo
By Fairy.Shiyo 2010-02-21 17:40:26  
You take the same amount of dmg in DD gear that you do in tank gear at that level :|

That's why turtle gear is pointless, you do more damage, you hold hate better, you gain more exp/hour.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-02-21 17:42:51  
Fairy.Shiyo said:
You take the same amount of dmg in DD gear that you do in tank gear at that level :|

That's why turtle gear is pointless, you do more damage, you hold hate better, you gain more exp/hour.

No, No I don't.
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-21 17:43:28  
ppl still invite pld to exp pt?
[+]
 Fairy.Shiyo
By Fairy.Shiyo 2010-02-21 17:44:45  
I do! All my damage reduction is from shield block, which is why I fulltime buckler earring/AF boots(change to ws only so I guess not fulltiming but whatever!).

Look at the defense on hauby and AF body, the VIT does nothing. Ok, you take 2-5 less damage, you win, except you're not keeping hate so that -5 dmg doesn't matter.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-21 17:45:36  
Haub+1 or bust
[+]
 Fairy.Shiyo
By Fairy.Shiyo 2010-02-21 17:45:55  
I ONLY HAVE NQ ; ;

because I don't play PLD, and I only WS in it on NIN, I'm not spending 3mil on a WS piece!
 Sylph.Beelshamen
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-02-21 17:46:24  
Fairy.Vegetto said:

That avatar is mesmerizing dude.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-21 17:46:27  
OR BUST
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-02-21 17:49:00  
Fairy.Vegetto said:

I think it's best I don't reply.

I'll be accused of starting frivolous ***again.
[+]
 Odin.Lowblow
サーバ: Odin
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-02-21 17:52:47  
DD gear and Tank gear takes same dmg @ that lvl?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ok im done
[+]
 Siren.Talonn
By Siren.Talonn 2010-02-21 17:54:25  
agreed
[+]
 Fairy.Shiyo
By Fairy.Shiyo 2010-02-21 18:03:15  
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=5&mid=12258233761513638&num=117&page=1

Read it, it tells you how much more damage a turtle PLD takes vs a DD one.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-21 18:07:14  
Only time I can see turtle build being better in exp is if you're overcamping, in which case, fight level appropriate mobs, and swap back to DD mode.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-02-21 18:10:44  
Fairy.Shiyo said:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=5&mid=12258233761513638&num=117&page=1

Read it, it tells you how much more damage a turtle PLD takes vs a DD one.

From the third post down:

"It's true, DD Pld takes a lot more damage, but if your party is set up properly, it's not an issue."

Saying that the DD pld and the Turtle pld takes the same damage is false.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-02-21 18:21:08  
I was on PLD60/WAR30 yesterday using a polearm and a DD setup. I held hate better than I ever have done with 2 RNG and a DRG in my party. Granted, I have 8/8 polearm merits (although not all were active) which helped my accuracy a lot, but it still goes to show that 'turtle PLD' is so 2007.

Nobody parsed but I was doing some decent damage; which was keeping hate much better than I've been doing with equivalent DD's using a sword and shield. It also spead the exp up!

I'm not saying polearm PLD is the answer, but I'm just throwing it out there that DD PLD can be a great idea pending on your party's setup. I would say that for definite exp would have been slower if I tried being a turtle PLD.

Btw, 22k/hour. RNG RNG DRG PLD RDM BRD @ leypoint 60.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-02-21 18:23:11  
Garuda.Wooooodum said:
I was on PLD60/WAR30 yesterday using a polearm and a DD setup. I held hate better than I ever have done with 2 RNG and a DRG in my party. Granted, I have 8/8 polearm merits (although not all were active) which helped my accuracy a lot, but it still goes to show that 'turtle PLD' is so 2007.

Nobody parsed but I was doing some decent damage; which was keeping hate much better than I've been doing with equivalent DD's using a sword and shield. It also spead the exp up!

I'm not saying polearm PLD is the answer, but I'm just throwing it out there that DD PLD can be a great idea pending on your party's setup. I would say that for definite exp would have been slower if I tried being a turtle PLD.

And I agree with that, DD pld can have it's uses, but to say it's flat out superior in every way is wrong imo.