フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » The do's and Don'ts of certain jobs
The do's and Don'ts of certain jobs
First Page 2 3 4
 Remora.Dubont
サーバ: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-02-01 10:20:48  
1) Do not drk/thf before 60 (only in certain cases after that). Drk/war gets more DoT and will benifit the pty more
2) Do not drk/blm unless you are warping or are in a special situation. When you are casting spells, you arent swinging your scythe. This is a big problem that I see lately
3) Drk/nin....really....do I have to say anything? Only in certain situations would this be acceptable
4) DO NOT (for the 9000th time) War/pld FOR A FREAKIN XP PARTY! If ur a war and u want to tank, sub nin or mnk or something but not freakin pld!! ::Rage!!!::
5) Cor/Blm....just dont..unless ur in a MB pty...i see no real use for this...other subs work better...even /whm...and i hate cor/whm
6) Cor/nin. Unless you're pulling (which with 600delay guns you shouldnt be unless ur pty leader is a ***) this sub is useless. Cor/rng for Gun cor's, Cor/war (or drk) for Joyeuse or other Melee Cor. This will help a lot more than lol/nin
7) Blm/rdm. Honestly unless ur soloing, I see no reason why u wouldnt sub whm. Blm/rdm offers more int but less support spells to assist ur pty.
8) Blm/dnc. Blm doesnt melee in xp pty GTFO
9) Blm/drk. Has as much int as /rdm, has a few good spells but low mp and nothing worth while. Please dont.
 Fenrir.Trystan
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Trystan
By Fenrir.Trystan 2009-02-01 10:30:55  
How about, do not tell ppl how to play the game they pay to play. btw, cor/blm, if you don't understand then ask someone, that mab20 transfers over into the elemental shots. Blm/rdm, again showing your lack of knowledge here, the fastcast alone makes it worthwile when casting spells that take several seconds to go off not to mention being able to add phalanx to that stoneskin for more protection. Drk/thf, getting the most out of your ws, every ws, what is wrong with that?
 Garuda.Antipika
サーバ: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-01 10:37:28  
Dubont said:

7) Blm/rdm. Honestly unless ur soloing, I see no reason why u wouldnt sub whm. Blm/rdm offers more int but less support spells to assist ur pty.

You must be new there.

Also agree with Trystan, if you don't like people's jobs upon joining a party, just leave then, nobody force you to party with others. And if you leader, then just invite job/sj combo you like.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-02-01 10:50:42  
@ Antipika: I have been a blm for 5 years. I know about blm/rdm and blm/whm. Blm/whm offers more of a party blm role and blm/rdm is more soloing.

@ Trystan: Yes you get spike dmg but ur total DoT is significantly lower than that of a /war and /sam (after 60) so unless u miss a lot and just NEED that crit hit ws, /thf isnt the best choice. Also, yes they pay to play just like I do, but I don't like to play with people that have no clue what they are doing and will gimp the party. Another thing, Yes cor/blm adds to elemental shots (btw cor/blm only gets +10MAB not 20) But offers nothing else for the job therefore gimping urself to only getting good dmg from elemental shots alone.
 Pandemonium.Zatias
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Zatias
By Pandemonium.Zatias 2009-02-01 10:56:24  
What you should really say is "Don't souleater guillotine at the start of an exp party fight."

"Don't open an exp party battle with Ancient Magic."

"Don't tank with berserk on."

<.< >.>

lol
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-01 10:56:42  
Dubont said:
6) Cor/nin. Unless you're pulling (which with 600delay guns you shouldnt be unless ur pty leader is a ***) this sub is useless. Cor/rng for Gun cor's, Cor/war (or drk) for Joyeuse or other Melee Cor. This will help a lot more than lol/nin

You make it sound like ninja subjob is useless outside of pulling. Any damage dealer worth half their salt that pulls hate from their tank will know it's a good subjob. It's especially good for Corsairs fighting Colibris. I refuse to go COR/RNG to merit parties simply because of how often I end up deaded.

/WAR has its uses, but same deal with lack of survivability on Colibri, and you lose accuracy either through being unable to dual-wield Trailer's or not having Accuracy Bonus job trait.

COR/DRK? Not even bothering with that one.

Edit: COR/BLM is fantastic on HNM's. 400+ Quick Draw's every 50 seconds (if merrited) is pure win. It's always useful to have warp just in case your party's wiping!

And who pulls without a Peacemaker? I even use Lamiabane if I've got no TP built up. Doesn't even cost bullets that way!

I'd also bet Antipika's a more experienced Black Mage than you, but he wouldn't tell you how to play your job.

I really hope you have a hard back, posting something like this is going to put a lot of people on your case.
 Fenrir.Trystan
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Trystan
By Fenrir.Trystan 2009-02-01 11:05:26  
for a 5yr blm i would have thought you would know that Magic Attack Bonus trait 1 is mab 20...i didnt think i would have to mention es for that oops here is a link, no worries i can sleep him np benifet. Also, lets face it, most Drk do miss alot pre 60, whats the point of getting tp if you cannot land a decent ws when in most cases ws dmg is 50% of your dmg per mob? Blm/Rdm in pt is perfectly fine, you're not a mainheal unless you're just super unlucky, let the mainheal worry about erase and such. Bottom line is its all personal preference and maybe you should be asking yourself why you get so "::rage::" at people instead of why they choose the subs they do. ^^
 Fairy.Raikan
サーバ: Fairy
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2009-02-01 11:10:24  
Dubont said:
3) Drk/nin....really....do I have to say anything? Only in certain situations would this be acceptable

Like..

When the player who just so happens to be leveling in CN (37+), is DRK/NIN with capped GA merits (Granted not all of them were active, just imagine x.x), capped enmity merits, and is hitting Sturmwind for 300-500+ every ws?

I have a friend who _had_ to drk/nin all the way to 75 because he _was_ the tank. There is no holding hate off a well geared DRK who knows what they are doing. And pity the Mage who has to keep said individual alive if they aren't /nin.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-02-01 11:18:43  
@ Wooooodum: I didnt make it clear. Cor/nin with a Joyeuse is bad. More delay= less double swings. So yes a Cor with joyeuse shouldnt sub nin. Did i say pull with peacemaker? No. I completely disagree with cor pulling period. Cor/drk IS good just not in a xp setup. For war, thf, blu, etc. /nin is a very good sub but for cor its just not. You get more racc from /rng and hell u even get more acc from /rng and more att from /war. Oh and btw, this may put ppl on my case but at least i wasnt one of the losers duping items =D

@ Trystan: Mab 1= +10 MAB (gained at lv 10) MAB2 is gained at lv 30 so a lv 75 cor would have MAB 2 but MAB 1 isnt = to +20 mab. Yes drk misses a lot pre 60 unless u have the right gear which im guessing u didnt. My ws were fine.
 Asura.Malekith
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-01 11:19:57  
Dubont said:

Nothing wrong with /WHM in an LS event or meripo setting UNLES you already know the alliance/pudding burn pt you're about to join has has enough people in a healer's role for raise. The former case should be clear enough, as to the latter let me tell ya... Nothing sucks more than being at Mount Z with 5 other /rdm, watching someone bite it and realizing they're screwed.

One other thought, so far as the lower dmg that comes with taking that sub from decreased INT... that's what cream puffs (+7 INT ftw!) & full INT merits are for...
 Odin.Synyster
サーバ: Odin
user: Synyster
By Odin.Synyster 2009-02-01 11:21:02  
i say pre 60, /nin is fine if you are that well geared/merited etc. it only slows the pt down if you are dead not if you are hitting for super super high damage. only job that should never sub nin is Samurai. seigan and third eye is more than enough for any smart and good samurai. blm, i dont have much experience with but every good blm in my linkshells sub rdm cause 9 times out of 10 there is a rdm or brd/whm tagging along to be puller/refresh ***. Fast cast + MAB= win.
 Caitsith.Unafae
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Unafae
By Caitsith.Unafae 2009-02-01 11:21:17  
OMG! It's people like u that make this game so damn frustrating! I pay for this game and u know if I want to play it a way that doesn't suit u then too bad, too sad for you! Leave the pt don't go shoving ur ideas off on everyone. I never go blm/whm that to me just gimps me and as for a blm in a pt lmfao what blm gets a pt! Unless u got a tank willing to static with u fat chance! Soloing durrr yeah /whm so u can raise ur *** after you died only damn reason to go blm/whm but hey if u wanna go for it! Its YOUR game YOUR char, end of story, play it the way YOU want!
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-02-01 11:21:27  
@ Raikan: Any drk who knows what they are doing knows about hate control and management. No drk should have to tank a complete mob unless they (or the tank) are a moron. Don't ws until mobs hp is around 50%. By this time the tank should (if like i said hes not a moron) have enough hate to hold it against a well placed ws or at least have enough to be able to get it back quickly if lost.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-02-01 11:26:04  
/bow Malekith

@ Unafae: Blm/whm isnt good soloing. I know that. I said that. I have gotten parties as blm/whm before. BLM/rdm is better for soloing. BUT! If you have 6 blm/rdms in a MB pty and something goes wrong and someone bites. What happens then? Lol shout for a raise? nah. Wait forever for them to hp and get back? nah. Usually they disband when they die. So in a MB pty blm/whm is better and say have one blm/rdm for gravity (for puddings)
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-02-01 11:28:12  
Dubont said:

@ Trystan: Mab 1= +10 MAB (gained at lv 10) MAB2 is gained at lv 30 so a lv 75 cor would have MAB 2 but MAB 1 isnt = to +20 mab. Yes drk misses a lot pre 60 unless u have the right gear which im guessing u didnt. My ws were fine.

Oh really?
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Magic_Attack_Bonus

You get +20 from the first trait, +4 more from the second. For a five year BLM, you seem to know awfully little about what you're talking about in general.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-01 11:28:25  
As far as BLM/RDM goes:

A: nobody invites a blm to party anyway, why does this matter to you?

B: It's not worth bitching and whining about, at least they aren't subbing summoner and they CAN assist as backup healer if needed

C: If their rdm or whm can't do their job and the blm is actually HAVING to do enough of the -na and curing to keep the *** party alive, the person you seek to complain about IS your healer.

My best guess as to why you are bitching about blm/rdm in a party is you are an inexperienced main healer of some sorts and this job combo somehow affected you personally? I mean you cant go around bashing the best blm subjob and not expect people to draw the conclusion that your just some noob who needed your blm to heal ... alot.
 Fairy.Raikan
サーバ: Fairy
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2009-02-01 11:29:21  
I would think Hauleubond would know a thing or two about hate control, seeing as how he had both PLD and NIN to 75 before DRK...

Seriously, stop telling other people how to play their job. He would've been dead every fight if he wasn't /nin.
 Asura.Malekith
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-01 11:32:39  
Wrote this in another thread.

Pld's need to learn that Cover is a JA, and that it's ok to use it...
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-01 11:33:15  
Dubont said:
I didnt make it clear. Cor/nin with a Joyeuse is bad. More delay= less double swings. So yes a Cor with joyeuse shouldnt sub nin.

There's no reason not to sub Ninja because of Joyeuse though. Even if I'm subbing Ninja I still only use Joyeuse, because as you validly stated, with a second weapon the dual-wield delay makes TP gain slower. If you just mainhand Joyeuse with nothing in offhand, you'll be at the same delay as /RNG or /WAR, but have shadows to avoid dying when your Slug Shot pulls hate.

Dubont said:
Did i say pull with peacemaker? No.

No, but I did, I think you misread. I mean to pull with Peacemaker, it's delay is very low and is the best weapon to pull with.

Dubont said:
I completely disagree with cor pulling period.

Please explain why or present your argument. With Quick Draw and multiple available movement plus items, we make pretty good pullers.

Dubont said:
Cor/drk IS good just not in a xp setup.

Again, please explain why and present your argument. I can see nothing that Dark Knight gives as a support job that another job doesn't give better, except Stun. You'd only have Dark Magic natively from your support job so would have a very unreliable method of stunning.

Dubont said:
For war, thf, blu, etc. /nin is a very good sub but for cor its just not. You get more racc from /rng and hell u even get more acc from /rng and more att from /war.

I wasn't debating whether or not subbing ninja provides more accuracy, and was specifically commenting only on the damage limitation it provides. This is a very useful asset to any job that is likely to steal hate from their tank.

Dubont said:
Oh and btw, this may put ppl on my case but at least i wasnt one of the losers duping items =D

Who cares?
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-01 11:36:38  
lol i didnt even read 90% of that stuff you just quoted but wow, thats like a rng/thf/brd saying they dont think they should ever pull, what else do you do have to besides buff and do dmg? You certainly dont have to rest MP between fights, nor do you lack capability to pull.

its always so amazing when a noob complains about things that are just.. how the game works
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-02-01 11:40:00  
@ Raikan: He wouldn't have been dead every fight if he wasn't a tard and knew how to keep mobs off himself. Unless he had enmity merits which explains it.

@ Sectumsempra: I guess i stand corrected on the MAB. But still that mab doesnt make up for the dmg u could do as cor/rng

@ Smurfo: I don't main heal at all. I'm bitching about blm/rdm b/c iv been in many MB ptys where iwas the only blm/whm and i was the one saving everyone's *** b/c they were blm/rdm. BLm/rdm is good for soloing (as i have said before) and maybe 1 or 2 in a MB pty. But a pty of 6 blm/rdms is not a good idea at all.
 Garuda.Hiroichirou
By Garuda.Hiroichirou 2009-02-01 11:44:29  
Dubont said:

this may put ppl on my case but at least i wasnt one of the losers duping items =D

lol don't tell people how to do their jobs or what jobs to use ppl will use what ever jobs they feel like using period. oh and btw everything ur saying is what not to do in a xp party , u might wanna switch the title to what not to do in a xp party *sigh* and its ppl like you that frustrate me the most , u should really go back and read "how to pick FFXI jobs for dummies" ..............why are u still reading this Dubont hurry up u should be reading how to pick FFXI jobs for dummies.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-02-01 11:48:12  
@ Wooooodum: Cor/nin with just joyeuse is still a bad idea. U lose out on the +10 racc from /rng as well as sharpshot and barrage. Or the +att and str from /war as well as berserk and warcry. Cor can also use quickdraw...yes to pull...but then u lose out on being able to dispell or sleep when necessary. You get 2 charges on quickdraw. Each charge takes a minute to recharge. So to keep a continuous pull you would have to pull every 30 seconds. I can see where this would be pretty good but once again by pulling with quickdraw u lose out on being able to sleep or dispell if needed.

@ Smurfo: Did i say cor should never have to pull? No. I just said i disagree with it. There are many jobs out there that pull a ton better than cor by nature. When a cor pulls they miss out on certain abilities or chances that can be used later on when needed. Going back to my answer to wooooodum's statement, if u pull with quickdraw that leaves u without the ability to sleep or dispell for 30 seconds. Which actually is a long time.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-01 11:51:04  
Dubont said:
Cor can also use quickdraw...yes to pull...but then u lose out on being able to dispell or sleep when necessary. You get 2 charges on quickdraw. Each charge takes a minute to recharge. So to keep a continuous pull you would have to pull every 30 seconds.

I meant to sleep if we link, are dying, etc, not to pull with, sorry for being misleading.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-02-01 11:51:22  
@ Hiroichirou: I'm telling them what isnt the best. If they want to sub say...brd on war....hell go ahead lol be an idiot idc, but dont expect a party any time soon at least not from me. There is a fine line between what is good as a sub and what isnt. I mainly stated what isnt. and you are right i should have changed it to Dos and Donts of certain jobs in XP ptys. That is my mistake.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-01 11:52:41  
you have to use this quickdraw thing to pull why? cor has a gun dont it, you can shoot it unless i missed something here... im just not seeing any valid argument as to why a buffing job with a gun shouldnt pull.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-02-01 11:55:22  
@ Smurfo: Delay and cost. Would you want a 600 delay weapon to pull? Might as well tell a Drk to go out there swing and bring it back. As for cost, roughly 220k a stack of pouches on my server (to me) is wasting bullets to pull. Especially if u link then switch to light staff for light shot then switch back to ur sword or w/e, u just lost the TP u gained from that pulling shot (if u hit it, if not u have nothing to worry about) which means u pretty much wasted a bullet.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-01 11:58:54  
wait, so you are just fine with doing /rng and doing ***like barrage which massively increases your amount of bullets used, (if you dont do barrage as /rng thats just gimp, its half the reason to play /rng) but you wont do something so simple as help your party get exp ?

i'm confused here, bottom line is a good cor is a buffer/puller, i have yet to see one cor who did not fulfill both of these jobs who i thought was worth even having in my party. that spot would be better used on the other job.. since most bards dont cry about pulling.
 Gilgamesh.Udasai
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Udasai
By Gilgamesh.Udasai 2009-02-01 12:00:08  
Was gonna say, unless cor has a peacemaker, the delay on cor guns are to high to pull effectively, especially in merit. We can pull with quickdraw but the charge timers make that ineffective in a good party too.

BRD can pull much faster and efficiently.

Also I Cor/Nin in merit all the time mostly because I can pull off Slug Shot for anywhere from 800-2k+ depending on buffs and I don't like getting eaten by birds.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-02-01 12:02:22  
@ Smurfo: Yes im willing to use up to 5 bullets for barrage simply b/c of the amount of dmg i dish out from it. Go back to what I said, if u pull then switch to lightshot, u waste a bullet and TP. Brds dont *** about pulling b/c what else is a brd gonna do? They cant do much dmg. Buff Pull and assist heal. Cor= buff dmg assist heal (if /whm) and pull. Also, brds dont have the expenses that Cor does. =) So think about it.
First Page 2 3 4