DRK/MNK Caladbolg Tanking?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » DRK/MNK Caladbolg Tanking?
DRK/MNK Caladbolg Tanking?
 Caitsith.Linear
サーバ: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-12-28 13:28:27  
Screenshot section of FFXIAH seems like a good place. Or in BG's Media section if it's impressive enough.

Like the 4.7k Earth Shot from a Death Penalty Cor.
 Titan.Cripnicc
サーバ: Titan
user: Cripnicc
By Titan.Cripnicc 2010-12-28 13:50:10  
When tanking as MNK do u full time counter stance? in abyssea with atma ofcourse
 Bahamut.Aeronis
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-12-28 13:55:03  
Titan.Cripnicc said:
When tanking as MNK do u full time counter stance? in abyssea with atma ofcourse
Yes.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-12-28 13:57:46  
Yep. Fighting the apkallu in Misareaux with it up is hilarious to watch. Especially when he goes into hundred fist mode. Between him countering your attacks and you countering his, it's nonstop action.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-28 13:58:36  
Titan.Cripnicc said:
Bahamut.Aeronis said:

Yes.

Though to be fair, outside of abyssea, it's no longer "Invicible Punchspikes", though it's not like it still isn't strong.
 Sylph.Starstrukk
サーバ: Sylph
user: Xera
By Sylph.Starstrukk 2010-12-28 14:08:03  
Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Even with Caladbolg, you'd be beat by Masamune SAMs <.<;
Caladbolg is essentially Masamune -1, with a worse ws (wtf mods)
Caladbolg has less delay and more DMG than Masamune, how is it -1?

And then Tor isn't even that bad, it has higher fTP (according to wiki, haven't tested it yet) and does triple damage instead of Fudo's double.

Anyway, @Gradd I was stalking your gear sets seeing what you had and such, subbing MNK with your posted set will drop you from 7 hit to 8 hit over /SAM. Also adjusting that around you can get it down to a 6 hit. Just something to think about, Caladbolg is a *** to X hit. =/
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-28 14:10:38  
Sylph.Starstrukk said:
Phoenix.Fredjan said:

SAM gets a lower x-hit, even more so when each job has to /NIN. Torcleaver is more or less on par with Fudo outside Abyssea, but inside the unfavorable mod puts Fudo well ahead.
 Sylph.Starstrukk
By Sylph.Starstrukk 2010-12-28 14:24:48  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Sylph.Starstrukk said:
Phoenix.Fredjan said:

SAM gets a lower x-hit, even more so when each job has to /NIN. Torcleaver is more or less on par with Fudo outside Abyssea, but inside the unfavorable mod puts Fudo well ahead.

The inferior mod I'll buy, but I'm not seeing a double damage pull well ahead of a triple damage as everyone seems to assume with the large VIT choices DRK now has.

Since having a 'bolg DRK in my LS I've been nothing but impressed with the weapon going head to head with our Masamunes.
 Valefor.Setsugekka
サーバ: Valefor
user: Nameless
By Valefor.Setsugekka 2010-12-28 14:38:40  
like I said, the mod is only part of the equation, you have to look at the ftp too. Torcleaver has a far better ftp than Fudo. Not to mention, without ratio bonus, you are actually going to need some attack in your WS set, which favors DRKs slightly with the attack JT and gear choices. It is alot like comparing Gekko to Spinning slash in the old day, Gekko has a higher ratio bonus and higher modifier while SS has higher ftp. In the end, they were very very similar in damage.

X hit is a good argument since SAM will always have 1 hit on us. Whenever we do a 6 hit, they can do a 5 hit with the same delay. But it is not like it is new, so if you could keep up with SAM before, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to now. With good souleater and endark usage, the gap should be much smaller now.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-12-29 00:08:06  
Sylph.Starstrukk said:
Phoenix.Fredjan said:

And then Tor isn't even that bad, it has higher fTP (according to wiki, haven't tested it yet) and does triple damage instead of Fudo's double.

Anyway, @Gradd I was stalking your gear sets seeing what you had and such, subbing MNK with your posted set will drop you from 7 hit to 8 hit over /SAM. Also adjusting that around you can get it down to a 6 hit. Just something to think about, Caladbolg is a *** to X hit. =/

I think you misunderstood the point of this post.

/SAM is for DD when you are not tanking, you lose your x-hit either way going DRK/NIN for stuff if you were to be tanking, so why not use DRK/MNK if it is a more efficient form of tanking? You even get stronger offensive abilities /MNK than you would /NIN. Not to mention you dont have to stop and cast shadows.

20 lanterns left then I am going to burn my mnk sub to proper level and try it out.

Also I can force 7-hit DRK/MNK, I 6-hit DRK/SAM with very little effort inside of abyssea.

I would be giving up VV for, RL(STR Major Counter Major) both are STR atma, and be using plague bringer(STP +20 5% DA) and Razed Ruins, that isnt big of a sacrifice to me from a Tanks prospective.
 Sylph.Starstrukk
By Sylph.Starstrukk 2010-12-29 19:13:56  
I understood your angle, I just don't agree with it...

Damage taken from melee rounds isn't an issue in Abyssea as the only threat are highly damaging TP moves, something /MNK offers no protection from and in some cases enhances your damage intake. On top of that /SAM has better oh ***capability if do things go astray under seigan. And then /SAM will win on enmity generation obviously, no need to go over that.

Not saying its not workable or fun, just hardly more efficient, it leans more on the reckless side more than anything.

As for Atma, that makes no sense as you can drop STR/attack for STP in several places.
 Sylph.Rorrick
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-12-29 19:58:07  
Titan.Cripnicc said:

You Counterstance everything that isn't easy prey.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-29 20:11:15  
Sylph.Starstrukk said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Sylph.Starstrukk said:
Phoenix.Fredjan said:

The inferior mod I'll buy, but I'm not seeing a double damage pull well ahead of a triple damage as everyone seems to assume with the large VIT choices DRK now has.

Since having a 'bolg DRK in my LS I've been nothing but impressed with the weapon going head to head with our Masamunes.
I never said the WS itself would pull ahead, just that SAM would, overall, outdamage DRK. There's more to DPS than how pretty your numbers are.

Setsugekka: you don't keep that x-hit if not-SAM, correct? Falls behind further in these situations.
[+]
 Fenrir.Thandar
user: Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2010-12-29 20:11:23  
Sylph.Starstrukk said:

Damage taken from melee rounds isn't an issue in Abyssea as the only threat are highly damaging TP moves, something /MNK offers no protection from and in some cases enhances your damage intake. On top of that /SAM has better oh ***capability if do things go astray under seigan. And then /SAM will win on enmity generation obviously, no need to go over that.

Not saying its not workable or fun, just hardly more efficient, it leans more on the reckless side more than anything.

As for Atma, that makes no sense as you can drop STR/attack for STP in several places.

/MNK = a ***ton more HP = protection from highly damaging TP moves.
 Sylph.Starstrukk
By Sylph.Starstrukk 2010-12-29 20:36:21  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

I never said the WS itself would pull ahead, just that SAM would, overall, outdamage DRK. There's more to DPS than how pretty your numbers are.

Ah, yea no doubt there.

Fenrir.Thandar said:

/MNK = a ***ton more HP = protection from highly damaging TP moves.

Oh right.
 Sylph.Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-12-29 20:42:12  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

I never said the WS itself would pull ahead

Quote:
but inside the unfavorable mod puts Fudo well ahead.

That's a tad misleading.

EDIT: HP bonus from /MNK is like 30 HP.
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-29 20:45:01  
Sylph.Rorrick said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Quote:

That's a tad misleading.

Yah, but after Cruor buffs, it's like +50!
 Bahamut.Serj
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-12-29 21:04:01  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Sylph.Rorrick said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Quote:

That's a tad misleading.

Yah, but after Cruor buffs, it's like +50!

Higher base hp than other subs? And after cruor it could be upwards of 100 if you really stretch it (including higher base hp and trait).

-___________- Just no.
 Fenrir.Thandar
user: Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2010-12-29 21:44:16  
:>!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-29 22:30:49  
Sylph.Rorrick said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Quote:

That's a tad misleading.

Misread his comment, thought he was talking about outside Abyssea. Inside, yes, I stand by my initial statement.
 Sylph.Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-12-30 00:31:05  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Sylph.Rorrick said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Quote:

That's a tad misleading.

Misread his comment, thought he was talking about outside Abyssea. Inside, yes, I stand by my initial statement.
Not sure I see why that is though. They have the same % mod (and Torcleaver has a better fTP bonus), and I'm pretty sure you're approaching the fSTR cap before VV anyway, so while losing the regain may reduce your hit build I'm not sure you lose much by going with a VIT atma (or a TP bonus atma or whatever) for Torcleaver.

The overall damage isn't in question, just Torcleaver being as good as or better than Fudo.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-12-30 02:38:12  
Sylph.Starstrukk said:

Protection? What the hell are you talking about? Please for gods sake dont tell me your LS forces your MNKs to go MNK/NIN to events for NMs and if you do my only question is why..............?

Is your LS that pitiful that it cant handle keeping MNK/WARs alive for stuff? A MNK should NEVER have to /NIN for anything, which stands by my point that neither should any other DD have too, Counterstance is that damn good. MNK sub should be 100% more efficient that NIN sub assuming the counter rate is close enough to a MNK mains to where they are not getting hit by the mobs because of a high counter rate.

With counterstance your mnks will never get hit, the counter rate is that damn high that the only thing touching your MNKs should be TP moves, and there is no TP move in the game that can one shot a DD anymore, WHM is overpowered which id hope you would know having it at 90, you literally NEVER run out of MP anymore, so you can spam Cure V and VI as violently as possible, not that you have too if the only damage your tanks are taking is from TP moves.

Also as a person with 2 accounts I 2box MNK and WHM alot, you literally can just auto-engage a MNK with counterstance and not have to do anything else its that damn good of an ability.

Edit:

If anyone cares 3 lanterns to go~ Would have finished tonight but JPs are camping Heqet in force, hard to outclaim them with me and my mule.
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-12-30 02:45:43  
I /nin to kill nms slower =P. Soloing blue stagger (without discernment) takes awhile =| even get Yaanei and the like to 50% before stagger. Of course, I only 2-6 man stuff. /shrug. I like /nin, fast kills aren't a goal of mine.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-12-30 02:51:00  
Bahamut.Serj said:
I /nin to kill nms slower =P. Soloing blue stagger (without discernment) takes awhile =| even get Yaanei and the like to 50% before stagger. Of course, I only 2-6 man stuff. /shrug. I like /nin, fast kills aren't a goal of mine.

If you really want to kill them slower pop defender and kill all of your attack, problem solved.

Also yea discernment is amazing for proc'ing.
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-12-30 02:55:30  
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Bahamut.Serj said:

If you really want to kill them slower pop defender and kill all of your attack, problem solved.

Also yea discernment is amazing for proc'ing.

Fair point, I guess I'm just skeptical of losing the comfort blanket that is utsusemi and having to rely on my whm (who is extremely good and almost always at capped mp, guess that's a hint for me to try /war.)

I'm close to discernment, can't wait since it will save me from the horror of using club 1/3 of the time =x
 Sylph.Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-12-30 02:56:41  
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Sylph.Starstrukk said:

Protection? What the hell are you talking about? Please for gods sake dont tell me your LS forces your MNKs to go MNK/NIN to events for NMs and if you do my only question is why..............?

Is your LS that pitiful that it cant handle keeping MNK/WARs alive for stuff? A MNK should NEVER have to /NIN for anything, which stands by my point that neither should any other DD have too, Counterstance is that damn good. MNK sub should be 100% more efficient that NIN sub assuming the counter rate is close enough to a MNK mains to where they are not getting hit by the mobs because of a high counter rate.

With counterstance your mnks will never get hit, the counter rate is that damn high that the only thing touching your MNKs should be TP moves, and there is no TP move in the game that can one shot a DD anymore, WHM is overpowered which id hope you would know having it at 90, you literally NEVER run out of MP anymore, so you can spam Cure V and VI as violently as possible, not that you have too if the only damage your tanks are taking is from TP moves.

Also as a person with 2 accounts I 2box MNK and WHM alot, you literally can just auto-engage a MNK with counterstance and not have to do anything else its that damn good of an ability.

Edit:

If anyone cares 3 lanterns to go~ Would have finished tonight but JPs are camping Heqet in force, hard to outclaim them with me and my mule.
MNK has 25% higher counter rate than anything /MNK does, along with more HP and an easier to get PDT set than DRK. On top of which, I'm not really sure you read any of what he said, because the only thing worth worrying about is a TP move that exceeds your current HP, which Counterstance will not save you from (it's not Third Eye).

Although why you went on an illogical MNK tangent while addressing an argument against subbing MNK on DRK is beyond me.

/SAM will do more for your offense and defense than /MNK will, easily. The only job for which I think an argument for /MNK can be made is SAM, and even then I doubt giving up /WAR is worth it.

EDIT: Yay typos.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-12-30 03:13:26  
Sylph.Rorrick said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Sylph.Starstrukk said:

Edit:

MNK has 25% higher counter rate than anything /MNK does, along with more HP and an easier to get PDT set than DRK. On top of which, I'm not really sure you read any of what he said, because the only thing worth worry about is a TP move that exceeds your current HP, which Counterstance will not save you from (it's not Third Eye).

Although why you went on an illogical MNK tangent while addressing an argument against subbing MNK on DRK is beyond me.

/SAM will do more for your offense and defense than /MNK will, easily. The only job for which I think an argument for /MNK can be made is SAM, and even then I doubt giving up /WAR is worth it.

You are missing my point aswell the point of /mnk is to mitigate even less damage while dealing damage at the same time Vs. /Nin where you have to stop and cast shadows hurting your DPS.

Who in their right mind will let a DRK/SAM tank anything serious? I mean seriously? MNKs are the main tank in this game for a reason and that reason is Counterstance.

I will parse my counter rate on DRK/MNK once I finish it, Roaring laughter should help push the counter rate to a decent ammount for somebody sub'ing MNK vs a MNK Main (not equal too but close) I am more annoyed that all of you argue it but nobody has even bothered to try it out.

I mean seriously are all of you that much of bandwagon players that you all just refuse to play the Jobs you like because its inferior to others? "OMG I Have to play MNK its the best!" seriously wtf.

Also no *** ***DRK/SAM is better for DD purposes im talking a tanks propsective. DRK/SAM is honestly only liable for an Apoc DRK to pull off because you constantly heal yourself with Cata but even then apoc is kinda garbage at the moment which we all know.

All I am trying to do is test and see if /MNK is a liable form of tanking something none of you have obviously gone out and done.

But this is my last post, im not posting anything else until I finish my MNK sub and parse the counter rate myself and find the results because obviously nobody else will do it even just to test it out, which was the point of me making this thread.

People need to learn to think outside of the *** box instead of doing what they are told to do period.

Anyways finishing Caladbolg tommorow then burning MNK sub to 49 ill parse it, if I was wrong this entire time then so be it, if not then hey I have a new toy to screw around with on DRK when 2boxing.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-12-30 03:21:54  
how does one get the atma of the roaring laughter? and does anybody know the +counter rate yet? i know this thread was more or less to see if drk /mnk can tank that way, not so much just to parse the rate

edit: and Gradd...calm the hell down bro lol...seriously... drk is drk for a reason... paper def but good dmg..the reason /nin was doable was because you could stun and get ni back up or ichi to mitigate 3 full hits... /mnk more than likely is gonna get shreded apart... there is absolutely no point in cussing everybody out....
 Sylph.Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-12-30 03:37:16  
DRK could tank anything at 75. The introduction of Counterstance is nothing to cream your pants over and is only part of the reason MNK is such a potent job inside Abyssea. You don't see WARs running around subbing MNK.

/MNK counterstance has already been tested and found to be the same ~40% it is for MNK main. The difference is you don't get the 10% from Melee Gaiters or the 5% from merits, and 5% from Usu hands, and you give up better DRK atmas if you take GH and Roaring Laughter to try and buff it.

I'm not quite sure why you're now worried about mitigating damage after just saying MP is limitless, Cure V is hateless and HP is too high to be OHKO'd by anything, but /SAM will be better for you than /MNK will because melee hits are lol and Third Eye works on TP moves, on top of dropping your x-hit and giving you Hasso. (Nice 8-hit for your Caladbolg bro)

For all the ***talking you did in your previous post I find it hilarious you think the prospect of letting a DRK/SAM tank anything is insane. Perhaps it's your shell that blows chunks.

People need to learn to rub their brain cells together before they open their mouths and spew ***all over the forums. Just because you think it'd be awesome doesn't make it awesome, nor does it make you the first person to think of it or try it.

FYI, it's viable, not liable.

And finally, why do you need to finish Caladbolg to test DRK/MNK?

EDIT: Roaring Laughter comes from doing the Dominion Ops in whatever zone Zazarg is in I believe. I think the actual requirements are a little hazy at the moment but that's the gist of how to get it. I believe it's counter +10
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-12-30 03:39:38  
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
how does one get the atma of the roaring laughter? and does anybody know the +counter rate yet? i know this thread was more or less to see if drk /mnk can tank that way, not so much just to parse the rate

edit: and Gradd...calm the hell down bro lol...seriously... drk is drk for a reason... paper def but good dmg..the reason /nin was doable was because you could stun and get ni back up or ichi to mitigate 3 full hits... /mnk more than likely is gonna get shreded apart... there is absolutely no point in cussing everybody out....

I wasnt gonna post anymore but seriously.

MNKs have 50 Defense during counter Stance.

How are you gonna argue defense? Seriously? Are you honestly trying to argue that? Really?

DRK is built and designed to take hits just as good as a PLD, I dont get this common misconception that DRK is a squishy job.