Being a jerk
 Caitsith.Neonracer
サーバ: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-02-24 21:37:35  
Haseyo said:
NMs bring out everyone's inner ***. >.>;
Friend of mine got fustrated with the O.kote NM, so got 5 people to outclaim this other lower level'd Mnk. (he didn't seem like an elite player)

Yeah thats what we did.. We did same with VE too!!

We actually had a whole linkshell vs another linkshell hell we had about 22 ppl out in Valkurm competeing for VE...

alas... my linkshell got claim..

Do I feel like king ***or *** extrodinare.. No.. not if a competing ls.. starts callin u out... I say.. BRING IT!! <*** swords>!
 Bahamut.Memimi
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Memimi
By Bahamut.Memimi 2009-02-24 21:39:51  
Cyr said:
Memimi said:

We already talked about this. :/

So, yes?

:/ Maybe if you quit calling me a ***.

Also, I remembered another story!

So... I made this level 40 party. I was on BLM and we had a PLD and a DRK and we were all thinking "Refresh would be cool." So we invited this level 40RDM. They level to 41 and we're all "Yay! Refresh!" and they tell me... "Oh, I didn't think I would level up so I didn't buy it yet." So... I kicked them so they would have time to go buy their scroll.[/quote][/quote]
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2009-02-24 21:44:29  
Blazza said:
Phyrefly said:
There was a rdm soloing Steamcleaner and my linkshell was hanging around watching...I guess to get it if he died. Well, it went white and I stole it (because I thought that's why we were waiting around and that I was supposed to). Well, I got chewed out by our leader and felt bad because I am really not that type of person. So there's my confession. Jerkiest thing I've ever done and regretted it. I have to say, though, that I think it's just as bad to watch a person die, then take the NM.

Not really, as long as you don't interfere, most people that solo NM's know damn well that if they die it's fair game. Any rdm that dies to a sky NM and has someone take it is not gonna get angry (well maybe at themselves for failing), and if they do they're not worth worrying about imo.
What you did was wrong imo, and you deserved to get chewed out over it, but considering your LS probably killed it in about 10 seconds, you could have fixed the issue by giving the rdm the pop item.

They offered, but he wouldn't take it.

Yes, I deserved it. It's certainly not the policy of my linkshell or mine for that matter to steal. We normally give people plenty of room for what they're doing. Trust me when I say it will never happen again. I left sky that night because I felt so bad.
 Shiva.Phioness
サーバ: Shiva
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2009-02-24 21:54:06  
Enternius said:
Phioness said:
Japanese Elitism

I do hope you know that people like you are one of the leading causes for the so-called elitism. I'm Japanese, but I live in the US now so I don't discriminate, but Americans tend to suck at everything FFXI-related and the JPs don't like to deal with it.

But I live in the US now so I don't discriminate?
So you discriminated before you lived in the US? Congrats had to move here to get rid of the elitism/prejudice/discrimination. Go you!

Enternius said:
Lol.

I wouldn't be on an American site if I was like that, don't you think?

You live in America and use our Websites oh go you! Your truly an American now (shakes head in disgust)!

And I've had JP players boot me from parties just to invite Japanese Players. Also JP tank players in parties intentionaly move when I try to Trick Attack them (and w w w w /laugh about it). Funny how when JP people are the only ones who put up JP Only. NO ... I repeat NO other ethnicity does that. And you can't use autotranslate as an excuse because other nations get along fine in parties w/o all the dilemna's of autotranslate. You can go to our websites, eat our food, and f$%k our women but you will never be a True American.

Corporal Ace, United States Marine Corp
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 21:56:43  
What a lot of our stories and experiences boil down to is our personal point of view as to whether or not it's right or wrong to interfere (to the extent of obtaining claim from somebody else mid-fight) with somebody else's battle. It's important, though, that people reading this thread understand this from both points of view.

As a linkshell leader of a few events myself, I fully understand the motives and logic in wanting to take claim from somebody else of a notorious monster we're also hunting. We're there for a purpose, obviously; either to get Pop Item X or obtain Drop Y for Member Z. That's what both parties are there for; the soloer and the linkshell that's about to take claim from the soloer.

If I was camping Despot with our shell and somebody else had the fortune of getting the Despot spawn, we would watch them fight it. If it went yellow, I personally would not make any attempts to take claim (Please note how nowhere in this post am I using the words "Steal Claim") and would discourage my linkshell from attempting to do so. At the end of the day, however, if they want their time and effort rewarded and perceive taking the claim away from the soloer as a way of doing this, then that is their perocative. I wouldn't have a go at them or put them down or anything; I'd simply tell them it wasn't such a nice thing to do and move on from it.

As Blazza very validly stated, any soloer should realise that if they let their notorious monster go unclaimed, even if it's just for a second, there's a high risk that somebody watching will try to reclaim it. If somebody soloing Despot, for example (I do love using Despot as an example), keeps having claim taken because it goes yellow, the responsibility is on the soloer to refine their strategy, not the spectating campers waiting for it to go unclaimed. Whilst it sucks to say this, people soloing should expect people to take claim. It will also lead to tighter fights, which will in turn increase your soloing ability anyway.

Many times I've seen a soloer in a spot of bother and offered to help them out. They always say no. Always. Then they die and have a go at me in say or tell for "stealing" their claim. This is when I get worked up about this whole issue. Still understandable though; it's very embarresing to die to any notorious monster solo, especially when you have an audience.

Let's not be quick to assume that people taking claims are bad people or acting out of spite. Look at Phyrefly, for example. If you were the person he took claim from you might be quick to insult them and have a go at them, yet Phyrefly has clearly shown he didn't mean it, wouldn't have normally done it and felt pretty bad for doing so. Nothing removes the fact he did it, but feeling remoreseful and showing empaphy to their fellow players is an excellent attitude towards it.

Most people would take claim off of people do so because they're there for the exact same reasons as the soloer; to get the drops or pop items. It's easy to emphasise with these people; nobody likes spending hours trying to pop an NM for some other group to get some luck and get claim as soon as they get there. This doesn't make them bad people.

Of course, when somebody takes your claim, words fail to describe how rude and annoying it is. It sucks when it happens but it will keep happening. Part of being a soloer is understanding this risk. It's also fantastic character building learning how to react to such provocations. I know I might seem a little abrubt and rude on these forums, but in-game it's exceptionally hard to get a reaction out of me. Even when I was soloing Kreutzet for a friend and had it stolen at 3% because I accidentally zoned, I didn't say anything or react to their remarks in say. I just ignored it and moved on. Intrigued as to why? Both because it resolves nothing, but also because I can't honestly say I wouldn't take it either were I put in their position.

Empaphy is an exceptionally good characteristic, one that sadly not many people show.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 21:58:14  
Pastor said:
I want to know if you have ever been a jerk for what ever reason

Phioness said:
You live in America and use our Websites oh go you! Your truly an American now (shakes head in disgust)!

Phioness said:
Go you!

phioness said:
You can go to our websites, eat our food, and f$%k our women but you will never be a True American.

I rest my case.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-24 21:58:31
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

I have no regrets whatsoever for stealing NMs, MPKing, or tricking to D2 when it comes to RMT. Biggest story goes to my friend's friend in Siren who actually managed to fool RMT by trading them a shellbuster for 35m gil when they thought they were receiving a Kraken Club.
 Bahamut.Memimi
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Memimi
By Bahamut.Memimi 2009-02-24 22:00:34  
Phioness said:
Funny how when JP people are the only ones who put up JP Only. NO ... I repeat NO other ethnicity does that. And you can't use autotranslate as an excuse because other nations get along fine in parties w/o all the dilemna's of autotranslate. You can go to our websites, eat our food, and f$%k our women but you will never be a True American.

Lol. Not true. My seacom commonly says English Only. :/
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 22:00:57  
Artemicion said:
Biggest story goes to my friend's friend in Siren who actually managed to fool RMT by trading them a shellbuster for 35m gil when they thought they were receiving a Kraken Club.

I wouldn't call that being a jerk. That's just awesome. And who cares if you're fair to RMT? It's not like they give you the same treatment.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-24 22:04:19  
Phioness said:
Enternius said:
Phioness said:
Japanese Elitism

I do hope you know that people like you are one of the leading causes for the so-called elitism. I'm Japanese, but I live in the US now so I don't discriminate, but Americans tend to suck at everything FFXI-related and the JPs don't like to deal with it.

But I live in the US now so I don't discriminate?
So you discriminated before you lived in the US? Congrats had to move here to get rid of the elitism/prejudice/discrimination. Go you!

Enternius said:
Lol.

I wouldn't be on an American site if I was like that, don't you think?

And I've had JP players boot me from parties just to invite Japanese Players. Also JP tank players in parties intentionaly move when I try to Trick Attack them (and w w w w /laugh about it). Funny how when JP people are the only ones who put up JP Only. NO ... I repeat NO other ethnicity does that. And you can't use autotranslate as an excuse because other nations get along fine in parties w/o all the dilemna's of autotranslate. You can go to our websites, eat our food, and f$%k our women but you will never be a True American.

And with an attitude like yours, who the *** would WANT to be an American?
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-24 22:05:59  
Enternius said:
Artemicion said:
Biggest story goes to my friend's friend in Siren who actually managed to fool RMT by trading them a shellbuster for 35m gil when they thought they were receiving a Kraken Club.

I wouldn't call that being a jerk. That's just awesome. And who cares if you're fair to RMT? It's not like they give you the same treatment.

*runs off to buy a shellbuster and then sits in whitegate waiting for RMT to shout wanting to buy a KC*
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 22:07:10  
Enternius said:

They're still human beings, but that's all I'm going to say. This isn't the topic for a discussion on RMT.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-02-24 22:07:39  
Have to chime in here slightly due to a previous comment.

FFXIAH.com is not an "American site." From the beginning, we have hosted both EN and JP versions of the website. Our overall site traffic continues to show that our userbase is balanced and spread out among America, Japan, and other international locations.

A combination of cultural factors has made the English forums the most active and dominated by primarily American users, but this should not be taken as representative of our overall userbase.

In light of this, cool the international hostility or I will be closing this thread.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-24 22:08:38
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Wooooodum said:
They're still human beings.

Ruthless, MPKing, Economy ruining humans at that. With little to no consideration for anyone but themselves and their gil.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 22:08:40  
Jaerik said:
other international locations.

Anything to avoid saying England =(
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-24 22:09:41  
Jaerik said:
Have to chime in here slightly due to a previous comment.

FFXIAH.com is not an "American site." From the beginning, we have hosted both EN and JP versions of the website. Our overall site traffic continues to show that our userbase is balanced and spread out among America, Japan, and other international locations.

A combination of cultural factors has made the English forums the most active and dominated by primarily American users, but this should not be taken as representative of our overall userbase.
<3 admin forum stalkers
Wooooodum said:
Jaerik said:
other international locations.

Anything to avoid saying England =(

Aussie!
 Shiva.Tigris
user: Bour
By Shiva.Tigris 2009-02-24 22:10:25  
Hmm... I like to be a jerk to people, so it's hard to pick my favorite moment :D

My personal favorite was in Sky, a SMN was DoT kiting Despot, and he lost the claim so my LS stole it. Yes, that's shitty, but the SMN was Chewedankles, probably the biggest piece of ***on the Shiva server, so no one felt bad in any way, we never would have done that if it was someone else.

But I guess my PERSONAL favorite jerk moment was in a 70-71 party at Mamool Ja Staging Point, and the THF refused to separate TA and SA, they would only SATA, so I kicked them. They also had all level 40-50 gear, so I didn't really feel that bad.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 22:10:33  
Artemicion said:
Ruthless, MPKing, Economy ruining humans at that. With little to no consideration for anyone but themselves and their gil.

Yeah, I know and understand that. I'm just not the sort of person to jump down at somebody right away for their actions, regardless of how severe. It's only too easy to forget that the characters running around are actually humans sat behind a computer screen. The way people treat other people in this game, especially when they're unpleasant... Well, there's always a motive, there certainly is for RMT's. If we want to discuss this, though, let's make a new topic to keep this one clean. ^^
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 22:12:16  
I love Australia and I love Europe, if it helps at all.

Jaerik said:
FFXIAH.com is not an "American site."

It is primarily American, or English as a whole. I could have explained everything you said, but my point was, I don't discriminate against people for where they live.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-24 22:14:54  
Enternius said:
I love Australia and I love Europe, if it helps at all.

Jaerik said:
FFXIAH.com is not an "American site."

It is primarily American, or English as a whole. I could have explained everything you said, but my point was, I don't discriminate against people for where they live.

Neither do I, I just discriminate against black people... <.<
okay okay, poor taste, I didn't mean it!
I really only discriminate against people that are stupid or ***, but I'm not sure if that still counts as discrimination?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 22:15:53  
Blazza said:
I really only discriminate against people that are stupid or ***, but I'm not sure if that still counts as discrimination?

Yes :P

It's just they're more deserving!
 Siren.Khellendros
By Siren.Khellendros 2009-02-24 22:35:00  
As long as you discriminate against everyone equally Blazza, no one can accuse you of wrongly discriminating against any one "group" of people. :D

The only other jerk thing that I can think of was more of a retaliation thing than anything. Someone from a rival linkshell decided to be a *** and kill all the exp mobs (in Qufim Island) because the entire party was from the same linkshell. Later on, we found the guy in Quicksand Caves with a party that was mostly HIS linkshell. So our group went through and killed all the beetles and Antica we could find to slow their exp as payback for what the party leader did to us earlier. I felt somewhat bad for the other 2 people in that party who weren't from that LS and did nothing to cause our spite.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 22:36:41  
The best part about that is you got the upper hand, simply because the mobs they killed respawned in five minutes and the monsters you killed respawned in sixteen minutes!

Linkshell rivalry is awesome.
 Siren.Anmorata
user: Anmorata
By Siren.Anmorata 2009-02-24 22:38:23  
yar. I had enough of pissing ppl off when I level'd BST tho :p
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 22:42:21  
Oh god I hate BST's, haha.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-24 22:45:44  
Khellendros said:
As long as you discriminate against everyone equally Blazza, no one can accuse you of wrongly discriminating against any one "group" of people. :D

I used to know someone that would say "I'm not racist, I hate all those foreign *** equally"
 Siren.Khellendros
By Siren.Khellendros 2009-02-24 22:48:59  
Don't get me wrong, I love BSTs as they can do so many more things with the tools that are natural to the area. But when the best camp they can come up with is in the basement of Garlaige Citadel killing Beetles and Bats when 2 parties are down there EXPing on the same mobs, then we have a problem.
 Siren.Anmorata
By Siren.Anmorata 2009-02-24 22:50:21  
Wooooodum said:
Oh god I hate BST's, haha.

<3

Khellendros said:
Don't get me wrong, I love BSTs as they can do so many more things with the tools that are natural to the area. But when the best camp they can come up with is in the basement of Garlaige Citadel killing Beetles and Bats when 2 parties are down there EXPing on the same mobs, then we have a problem.

yes I enjoyed pissing people off there too.
 Siren.Anmorata
By Siren.Anmorata 2009-02-24 22:53:50  
I'd say my greatest moment on BST was, in the Boyoda tree, I saw 5 tarutaru BLM /anon and 1 hume WHM /anon, obviously a RMT PT, because they were all nude.

so I pulled Aquarius a lil ways past them. logged with my pet on it, logged back on to see all BLM dead and WHM running for her life.

I call it RMT bowling. and I picked up a spare. (I did feel bad and raised the WHM, who thanked me)
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 22:56:00  
Anmorata said:
(I did feel bad and raised the WHM, who thanked me)

Thanked her murderer for murdering her and subsequently raising her... I lol'd at the irony xD