users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Armageddon Vs. Gandiva
Armageddon Vs. Gandiva
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2011-11-09 06:16:12  
Ok, Personally i like to read through all posts on a topic before commenting, but i just had to stop halfway through. First of all, there are too many people talking down on Gandiva that dont even own one. I have lvl 90 Gandiva and let me tell you, Ive never seen a JR for 400ish.. even outside abys i average 2.5-3.5k on mobs and thats not including flying mobs. Second, people keep saying Gandiva is worse but your only argument is that its suicidal? Honestly thats horrible reason to shut down the idea of getting a weapon that hits 2k crit consistently with AM (Yes outside abys, think about what i do inside). Now would a Yoichi/Anni be a good option? Hell yeah, im working on Anni/Armg now. But simply turning down the idea of such a badass weapon because it does too much dmg is absurd. Please consider a better argument. Btw I have 5mil cruor after getting 90 gandiva(Hence working on Armg), so you dont need tons of brews to get the job done.
[+]
 Leviathan.Krush
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Doc2love
By Leviathan.Krush 2011-11-09 16:28:05  
Leviathan.Iddy said: »
All depends on how you like to play and what you are going to be fighting. I have Arma(also working on Gandiva) and i really do love it. The low enmity on Wildfire really is amazing and if you are set up right can put really good numbers. In aby Gandiva will probably out dmg Armageddon overall but it also depends what you are fighting. In alot of the new Void watch the other rngs with bow hit 400ish jinshu's while I'm hitting 1400-1600 wildfires, and again with the low enmity of wildfire the gandiva rng will pull hate before me even tho their numbers are lower. If you really are set in being a carrer ranger go for both that way when your fighting something magic damage resistant you can use bow and something physically resistant you can use gun. So in reality neither is better than the other, they both have their strengths and weaknesses and where one falls short the other can pick up the slack.

I miss you guyz! ; ;
 Asura.Loneshadow
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Loneshadow 2011-11-26 13:10:56  
Working on RNG atm and was wondering what kinda of TP / WS sets I should be looking for.

TP(grip/weapon/ammo depend on situation)

Wildfire(Kote are Crit+2 STP+4)

Jishnu's(Outside set shown, Kitty Pants are CritDmg+4 AGI+3)

This is what I was aiming for atm, anything different to add or change?

Edit: Both builds will be /SAM mainly.
 Asura.Dimpson
user: dimpson
By Asura.Dimpson 2011-11-26 13:38:15  
At first glance I would recommend a different TP set for armageddon that allows you to 4hit. This will most likely require you to change around your WS set in order to build back up in three TP hits.
 Phoenix.Bohgo
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Bohgo
By Phoenix.Bohgo 2011-11-26 13:39:29  
TP set with Armageddon should be a 4-hit. Here is mine:

Sveltesse Gouriz for Wildfire instead of Shadow Belt.
 Asura.Loneshadow
By Asura.Loneshadow 2011-11-26 13:40:19  
Asura.Dimpson said: »
At first glance I would recommend a different TP set for armageddon that allows you to 4hit. This will most likely require you to change around your WS set in order to build back up in three TP hits.
What would you advise to change around?
 Asura.Loneshadow
By Asura.Loneshadow 2011-11-26 13:44:12  
Phoenix.Bohgo said: »
TP set with Armageddon should be a 4-hit.
If I counted your STP right, your getting 34 a hit? Thats a 3-hit from 0 and a 4 hit after WS?
 Asura.Dimpson
user: dimpson
By Asura.Dimpson 2011-11-26 13:50:58  
Asura.Loneshadow said: »
Phoenix.Bohgo said: »
TP set with Armageddon should be a 4-hit.
If I counted your STP right, your getting 34 a hit? Thats a 3-hit from 0 and a 4 hit after WS?
That is 27.0 a hit which is overkill on the 1st build but allows you to WS in 0stp and still get 100tp for the next time
 Asura.Loneshadow
By Asura.Loneshadow 2011-11-26 13:53:00  
Clearly I need some help with STP math on RNG ><
 Cerberus.Quipto
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2011-11-26 14:32:38  
Asura.Loneshadow said: »
Clearly I need some help with STP math on RNG ><
http://www.ffxicalculator.com/
Should be all you need.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [62 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Nahtaivel
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Nahtaivel
By Cerberus.Nahtaivel 2012-01-27 14:40:50  
Just want to hear thoughts on Gandiva/Annihilator. If you had both, when would you use one over the other. Would Gandiva be a better "zerg" weapon with Annihilator being the better choice for when you're in longer fights where hate is an issue?
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2012-01-27 16:14:11  
Cerberus.Nahtaivel said: »
Just want to hear thoughts on Gandiva/Annihilator. If you had both, when would you use one over the other. Would Gandiva be a better "zerg" weapon with Annihilator being the better choice for when you're in longer fights where hate is an issue?

annihilator all the way methinks. i'm pretty sure 5/5 last stand beats JR on anything that matters, plus triple damage proc :x
By fyreus 2012-02-03 23:16:44  
Leviathan.Hohenheim said: »

annihilator all the way methinks. i'm pretty sure 5/5 last stand beats JR on anything that matters, plus triple damage proc :x

Calling blasphemy here. While i don't own an annihilator i do know my harrier +2 dusts those I've come across in VW (dunno who's still not done with rng in abyssea LOL rng gear rots easy). If they had an annihilator and didn't know how to use it (which i doubt) then that's a different story.
 Bahamut.Serj
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-02-03 23:20:23  
Annihilator can do 12-15k barrages =3

Best reason to make one.
 Asura.Vrytreya
user: VZX
By Asura.Vrytreya 2012-02-03 23:25:02  
Until there's a situation you can ensure your crit rate to 100% rate with Jishnu's, Last Stand with Annihilator in "zerg" situation(capping pDIF, eliminating as many white damage as possible and WS as often as possible) is your best weapon.
 Bismarck.Helel
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-02-03 23:32:49  
fyreus said: »
Leviathan.Hohenheim said: »

Calling blasphemy here. While i don't own an annihilator i do know my harrier +2 dusts those I've come across in VW (dunno who's still not done with rng in abyssea LOL rng gear rots easy). If they had an annihilator and didn't know how to use it (which i doubt) then that's a different story.

Those are some shitty rangers then. Last stand destroys jishnu's. The only advantage gandiva has is its higher chance for double damage proc, but it's not like you need to shoot more than once to get over 100 tp.

Chances are the rangers you came across were not using adaman bullets.

To contribute to the topic, armageddon is actually a great zerging weapon, considering last stand is modified by AGI. Both annihilator and armageddon have the same base damage @99. The only issue is you lose 30 accuracy (counting the +20 agi on armageddon) which could be the difference between red curry and pot-au-feu. I have both though and I plan to eventually upgrade armageddon too if heavy metal plates are ever easier to get (probably not :/).

Edit: you lose 30 ranged attack too.
[+]
 Bismarck.Gaspee
user: Gaspee
By Bismarck.Gaspee 2012-02-03 23:34:52  
fyreus said: »
Calling blasphemy here. While i don't own an annihilator i do know my harrier +2 dusts those I've come across in VW

If an Annihilator RNG is unable to beat a Harrier +2, they are clearly doing it wrong.

Bismarck.Helel said: »
To contribute to the topic, armageddon is actually a great zerging weapon, considering last stand is modified by AGI. Both annihilator and armageddon have the same base damage @99. The only issue is you lose 30 accuracy (counting the +20 agi on armageddon)
QFT
 Asura.Vrytreya
By Asura.Vrytreya 2012-02-03 23:48:33  
We should probably ask again what is the possible "zerg" situation he's asking about, and draw conclusion more precisely.
In VW, say Qilin, I can't see myself capping pDIF without outside buff (Chaos roll, Minuets). And the chance of that's gonna happen in any sensible VW group setup is ... almost 0? Then ratk from Annihilator will still have value. If defense down isn't guaranteed by other jobs (DRG angon, Tourbillion, etc), then there's merit to use Crossbow. And if one day they will open a lot more crit hit+ gear or raise the crit rate gained from dDEX, then Jishnu's could probably take over.
 Bismarck.Helel
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-02-04 00:06:57  
Oh I'm pretty sure annihilator will still beat armageddon in most situations. I was just saying that if someone didn't have an annihilator, armageddon is a pretty close second.
 Bismarck.Gaspee
user: Gaspee
By Bismarck.Gaspee 2012-02-04 00:16:08  
Not to mention Wildfire is fun! Last Stand aside, it's still a beastly weapon skill.

I'm sure I will get tormented for this, but I sometimes will mess around with a Wildfire build on RNG. Kinda fun to play with it in a non-Corsair role.
 Bismarck.Helel
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-02-04 00:42:56  
Bismarck.Gaspee said: »
Not to mention Wildfire is fun! Last Stand aside, it's still a beastly weapon skill.

I'm sure I will get tormented for this, but I sometimes will mess around with a Wildfire build on RNG. Kinda fun to play with it in a non-Corsair role.

Oh yeah definitely. I use wildfire for any of the hahava-type NMs, rex (awesome on rex), and anything else that resists physical/piercing damage. It adds a lot of versatility to RNG by having it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2012-02-04 00:52:08  
needs more trueflight ;; do you think trueflight with +30% ws dmg will match/beat wildfire?
 Bismarck.Helel
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-02-04 01:12:14  
Hmm. I did the math assuming 150 AGI vs a mob with 90 INT, and even @300 tp trueflight still doesn't beat wildfire. I did the math with the appropriate staves equipped.

However, do you know if the occasionally deals double or triple damage can proc on weapon skills? Level 3 aftermath "occasionally attacks twice or thrice" does proc on weaponskills, so I'm wondering if xbow's level 3 aftermath does as well.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2012-02-04 01:15:37  
Bismarck.Helel said: »
Hmm. I did the math assuming 150 AGI vs a mob with 90 INT, and even @300 tp trueflight still doesn't beat wildfire. I did the math with the appropriate staves equipped.

However, do you know if the occasionally deals double or triple damage can proc on weapon skills? Level 3 aftermath "occasionally attacks twice or thrice" does proc on weaponskills, so I'm wondering if xbow's level 3 aftermath does as well.

dunno yet. empy doesnt, so it might not, but then other mythics do, so it might, but then, trueflight is magical so who knows :x

thats even with the +30% trueflight damage? what about 180 agi?

i mean, is it close enough that they're about equal?
By Fupafighters 2012-02-04 01:20:39  
Leviathan.Iddy said: »
Carbuncle.Haseo said: »

Armageddon is nice for rng but you'll see a consistent base on cor since cor has more access to MAB rolls and MAC gear.

That is assuming the Cor is being used as a dd or not. If a cor is @ an event normally its there for buffing up the other DD (unless in blm pt obviously) the cors dmg is just extra in the big picture. Miser's and Tacticians is what most DD pt's need kept up and makes it impossible to have the cor w/ wizards up full time simply b/c of phantom roll recast. A Cor w/ out wizards roll up really doesn't always do more dmg then a ranger with the Armageddon. Also as another piece to add into this is RNG has way more AGI both naturally and available in gear which is a 60% mod for wildfire. Also on anything bigger then an aby mob cor generally has kind of crap racc so you also lose dmg overall from the lack of connected ranged attacks. So Cor will do more damage with it assuming the cors main focus is its own damage and not the buffs of the group.
If the cor is using wizards roll...thats killing their dps lol
 Bismarck.Helel
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-02-04 01:32:29  
The higher the AGI, the more it favors wildfire over trueflight. With 180 AGI you're looking at about a 126 damage difference between the weapon skills, so it's not too bad. I factored in the +30% damage.

Edit: With 150 AGI, it's exactly 100 damage difference.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2012-02-04 01:34:27  
meh 126 damage is nothing. i could pick up the extra in tp no problem!
 Carbuncle.Laitha
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2012-02-16 18:55:13  
Speaking as a Anni user... You need to take in account where you get your ammo. Bullets are always more difficult to find on my server than arrows so make sure you have some way to make them yourself. You can't be the best if you can't use best ammo full time.
 Odin.Upbeat
サーバ: Odin
user: Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2012-02-17 04:11:40  
I hate to be the bearer of bad new, but it definitely seems like AM3 DOES NOT proc on weapon skills. It might on barrage, I didn't mess with that.
 Asura.Vrytreya
By Asura.Vrytreya 2012-02-17 04:15:08  
Melee mythic WS pseudo multi-hit doesn't proc in WS either, does it?