SOPA and PIPA
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-01-19 10:37:18  
Ramuh.Rowland said: »
I think a lot of people I work with use Yahoo as their homepage. I don't think there was anything mentioned on their site about the blackout. If you don't use the internet much, you won't know.
There had to be a link on Yahoo as there was coverage on this from every major news network. I don't really use Yahoo much at all but the last time I was on there for a fantasy league their page was littered with links and such.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-01-19 10:39:15  
Bismarck.Tragedie said: »
Just a note, you may have to be 18 to vote, but you do not have to be 18 to write a letter to your elected officials and voice your opinion.
This is true. It's still interesting to consider where the voices are coming from though and who supports something like this.
 Bahamut.Krizz
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2012-01-19 10:42:47  
For the most part, I would assume the older generations simply don't care. I can only think of one person in my family over 30 who would even care about this passing. I can barely think of more who would have any remote chance of understanding if it was explained to them.

Now I do come from Mississippi so that's probably not saying much.
 Cerberus.Kaht
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2012-01-19 10:59:11  
I thought this video gave a pretty good description of how the SOPA/PIPA bills came about.

[+]
 Phoenix.Elspetta
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Elspetta
By Phoenix.Elspetta 2012-01-19 11:22:17  
Bahamut.Krizz said: »
For the most part, I would assume the older generations simply don't care. I can only think of one person in my family over 30 who would even care about this passing. I can barely think of more who would have any remote chance of understanding if it was explained to them.

<.< I'm sorry, I know you said in your family, but really ... > 30 is considered older generation now? Ouch!
 Bahamut.Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2012-01-19 11:29:58  
Phoenix.Elspetta said: »
Bahamut.Krizz said: »

<.< I'm sorry, I know you said in your family, but really ... > 30 is considered older generation now? Ouch!
My original thought is for those 50+. When I started thinking about my family in particular, I lowered it to 30 because I could only think of the one person over 30.
 Asura.Wyattdoc
サーバ: Asura
user: wyattdoc1
By Asura.Wyattdoc 2012-01-19 11:29:59  
Actually most people over 30 grew up with the internet. We watched it grow into what it is today. Hell half the hard core gamers out there are over 30. Just because the 30 somethings in your family are sheltered dont lump the rest of us old *** in with them.
[+]
 Bahamut.Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2012-01-19 11:33:35  
Asura.Wyattdoc said: »
Actually most people over 30 grew up with the internet. We watched it grow into what it is today. Hell half the hard core gamers out there are over 30. Just because the 30 somethings in your family are sheltered dont lump the rest of us old *** in with them.
I'm not.
By Artemicion 2012-01-19 11:57:06  
So from what I can tell, the protest was rather successful with the amount of sponsors and supporters bailing out from the sheer backlash from the public as their potential voters and consumers.
The question is, what's next? Isn't there a secondary hearing or vote process down the line? Does it still face enough support to be passed? Are the plans to up the ante with further protests?
 Phoenix.Kirana
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2012-01-19 12:07:30  
Every representative who supports these (and wants to be re-elected) is probably shaking in their boots right now. At this point, I think anyone who votes for SOPA/PIPA will be removed from office come the next election. In the case that they actually pass, I'm sure there will be many candidates who run on a "get rid of SOPA/PIPA" platform, and there will be plenty of negative campaigning against those who voted for it.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2012-01-19 12:07:47  
To the remaining supporters of the SOPA/PIPA bills, I would probably start refusing to purchase any of their services or products (and I have read the bill in it's current state) to further the protest, and I am sure there are others willing to do the same. The websites themselves are already at a huge loss if it goes through, even more so are the consumers who require, or would like, certain services, but the sites which originally offered them, have been shut down over unfounded allegations.

Although there are many ways to protest a highly unfavorable bill, or flat out unconstitional bills, which severely limit a person's freedom to information (Such any any Access to Information acts), there are very few ways to open up civil dialogue, by creating opportunities for open discussion. This bill should have been brought about for open discussion with the public, or at the very least, with all affected services, sites, and domains. (I have a feeling this may be part of required federal law in the US, but please correct me if it is not the case)
By Artemicion 2012-01-19 12:15:59  
Phoenix.Kirana said: »
Every representative who supports these (and wants to be re-elected) is probably shaking in their boots right now. At this point, I think anyone who votes for SOPA/PIPA will be removed from office come the next election. In the case that they actually pass, I'm sure there will be many candidates who run on a "get rid of SOPA/PIPA" platform, and there will be plenty of negative campaigning against those who voted for it.

I would hope any politician worth their salt would would vote against SOPA/PIPA if they have any hope of re-election.
As far as corporate support goes, boycott has already proven incredibly effective, as seen with GoDaddy already losing I believe 100,000+ domains within 10 days of publicly listing their support for the bill.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2012-01-19 12:21:18  
GoDaddy.com technically wouldn't be allowed to air their own commercials, because some of the actors and other hired talents, have websites elsewhere, and would thus be found guilty, or have allegations thrown against them, for copyright infringement, by using some of the actors they do, ie. Danica Patrick.
 Valefor.Endoq
サーバ: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2012-01-19 12:28:02  
i say pass the law and watch the chaos unfold!

(no really this thing sucks, vote no on SOPA PIPA)

i signed the google petition against SOPA/PIPA with all my various emails lol
By Artemicion 2012-01-19 12:31:57  
You know what, as crazy as it sounds maybe that's what we need Endoq.
Perhaps we need this horrid, alienating, sweeping and oppressive bill to enrage every American or internet user in general into action against the government that runs them. Shake the foundations of what has failed us so many times and continues to show an utter lack of concern or care for our welfare and interests. Because despite our power to push these things back into the hellish depths from which they came; they will continue to emerge indefinitely until we can have representatives that for once actually represent us and our country.
[+]
 Odin.Gosuapple
サーバ: Odin
user: gosuapple
By Odin.Gosuapple 2012-01-19 12:38:51  
Maddox has some insightful things to say on the issue
By Artemicion 2012-01-19 12:49:01  
Odin.Gosuapple said: »
Maddox has some insightful things to say on the issue

A little more extreme, but yes, exactly!
Maddox has always been a guilty pleasure and a hero of mine.
By Eugene 2012-01-19 13:00:57  
Asura.Wyattdoc said: »

Not to say you're sheltered or you don't know anything about the internet, but the internet was commercialized in 1995 (didn't become very popular until 1997). Anyone 35 or older were already legal adults when the internet became available to the public. Adults certainly can learn new things though :)
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-01-19 13:13:39  
What probably bothers me the most about SOPA is the supporters, sponsors and creators of the bill itself even admitted and openly noted they don't understand how the internet works or what would directly be affected as a result of their own legislation. You would think someone in politics would look at the chain of events and growth of the internet as it holds direct relevance to your occupation and future voters as well as the interests of those you represent. How can people that in all probability would say something like "Where's the any key?" end up writing something so ridiculous?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-01-19 13:21:25  
Artemicion said: »
What probably bothers me the most about SOPA is the supporters, sponsors and creators of the bill itself even admitted and openly noted they don't understand how the internet works or what would directly be affected as a result of their own legislation. You would think someone in politics would look at the chain of events and growth of the internet as it holds direct relevance to your occupation and future voters as well as the interests of those you represent. How can people that in all probability would say something like "Where's the any key?" end up writing something so ridiculous?
I find this hilarious. In one sentance they are described as people who have no idea what this would actually do or how it would be used or whatever. In another it paints them as people who would use it to their advantage, to cut out competition and other nefarious plots. So which is it? Plus, I find it very hard to beleive that anyone thinks that no one on the supportive side of this has no idea of what would happen if these were to pass. I can gaurantee you that some do.
By Artemicion 2012-01-19 13:23:51  
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
I find this hilarious. In one sentance they are described as people who have no idea what this would actually do or how it would be used or whatever. In another it paints them as people who would use it to their advantage, to cut out competition and other nefarious plots. So which is it? Plus, I find it very hard to beleive that anyone thinks that no one on the supportive side of this has no idea of what would happen if these were to pass. I can gaurantee you that some do.

Oh I'm sure some do. But generally the support has been around such a broad and generalized propaganda of anti-piracy that it is nearly akin to cavemen unanimously saying FIRE BAD!
Not many stop to think that the subsequent consequences could prove counter productive to their own business they sought so desperately to protect.

But my apologies, as I should have been more specific to note that those that lack the knowledge or competence of the inner workings of the internet and how it would be affected by their bill would be the politicians at large. A good chunk of the supporting fortune 500 companies probably know exactly what the bill will do and it accurately reflects their interests and ambitions.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-01-19 13:37:54  
I'm not terribly well informed on internet provider's business models but how exactly are they to gain from gutting the internet? I saw a few on the support lists and it struck me as odd.
By Artemicion 2012-01-19 13:55:25  
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
I'm not terribly well informed on internet provider's business models but how exactly are they to gain from gutting the internet? I saw a few on the support lists and it struck me as odd.

Businesses tend to be myopic in nature, caring only for the short term benefits that affect them immediately rather than seeing the big picture in how their support for something can ultimately be the very undoing of their business they attempted to protect.

Why else have there been so many layoffs immediately after record breaking profits?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-01-19 14:05:14  
Businesses tend to be myopic in nature, caring only for the short term benefits that affect them immediately rather than seeing the big picture in how their support for something can ultimately be the very undoing of their business they attempted to protect. Why else have there been so many layoffs immediately after record breaking profits?
I would ave to disagree with you businesses only caring about short-term benefits. While I would say it is important to continue to present with strong gains in the short-term, many companies still focus on long-term growth and expansion.
By Artemicion 2012-01-19 14:07:13  
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Businesses tend to be myopic in nature, caring only for the short term benefits that affect them immediately rather than seeing the big picture in how their support for something can ultimately be the very undoing of their business they attempted to protect. Why else have there been so many layoffs immediately after record breaking profits?
I would ave to disagree with you businesses only caring about short-term benefits. While I would say it is important to continue to present with strong gains in the short-term, many companies still focus on long-term growth and expansion.

Though it's not the only outlook on how things are operated, but it tends to be the priority or focus more often than not. This of course depends on the nature and size of the business itself, as well as the persons holding administration.
 Cerberus.Kalyna
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2012-01-19 14:27:31  
Megaupload just got shut down and the CEO and employees are now in deep ***with USA officials.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/apnewsbreak-workers-indicted-at-one-of-worlds-largest-file-sharing-sites-megauploadcom/2012/01/19/gIQAJPIRBQ_story.html
By Artemicion 2012-01-19 15:05:34  
***just got real.
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-01-19 15:06:23  
Can't say im really upset by it. Can't get mad for getting caught doing something illegal.
[+]
 Fenrir.Bellalunaa
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Bellaluna
By Fenrir.Bellalunaa 2012-01-19 15:35:41  
Cerberus.Kalyna said: »

Sites like that are just asking for trouble imo. Can't make a profit off of other people's work and expect it to go unnoticed. Can't stop people from stealing by 'breaking the internet'. I am not in support of either bill and feel that we should go beyond signing a petition. Boycott movies etc and hit them where it really hurts. Let them know who really is in control and make them stop acting so foolish and childish. This whole copyright infringement stuff has just gone way too far imo and big companies can't prove the actual loss by piracy. If a person can't afford it in the first place how can you count them in the figures for a loss? lol Shut down Hollywood... no loss anyway with their poor quality of movies and 12-15 bucks a movie these days. (too tired to correct my grammar lol)
[+]
By zahrah 2012-01-19 15:42:06  
So, I was wondering...If this does actually pass, then would all the music threads, the threads with any and all pop-culture clips, and the LOLpic thread have to be wiped from AH?
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10