Man(a Previous Victim) Kills Child Molester And Gets 9 Years.

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Man(a previous victim) kills child molester and gets 9 years.
Man(a previous victim) kills child molester and gets 9 years.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-16 15:29:32  
Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!

>.>

<.<
 Shiva.Weewoo
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-16 15:30:39  
Fairy.Spence said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:
My point was we examine circumstances, evidence and consider the rights of both sides before carrying out harsh irreversible actions against the accused.

Didn't you say there's no way to justify murder? Circumstance would be irrelevant then, no?

It's not like the guy walked off free. He got 9 years, which IMO is a light sentence for murder, even for being previously victimized (of a non-violent crime) by the victim as a child. Ultimately he chose how to handle what happened and how he was going to carry on with his life after such a thing happened. Sadly it ended with the death of another person. Molester or not, he died and didn't have to.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-06-16 15:31:54  
Fairy.Spence said:
I think we're just getting a bit 'soft' in general. The caning and what not is a bit much, but I think we need stronger deterrents.
after you get caned like that, you wouldn't wanna do anything bad again. America is getting soft with capital punishment.

Good news is, Utah is about to execute their first prisoner in the last like 50 years. He chose firing squad, good stuff.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-16 15:32:17  
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-06-16 15:32:19  
Fairy.Spence said:
Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!

>.>

<.<
just when i thought you were soft.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-16 15:34:19  
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Good news is, Utah is about to execute their first prisoner in the last like 50 years. He chose firing squad, good stuff.
Holy ***you can do that? God if I ever get a death sentence I so want to request something awesome like that
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-16 15:34:29  
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
He chose firing squad, good stuff.

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-06-16 15:36:14  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Holy ***you can do that? God if I ever get a death sentence I so want to request something awesome like that
yeah, they gave him the choice and he chose that. He had his last meal Tuesday but decided to fast. Utah is setting the standard for how things should be done with Deathrow inmates.

lol @ Monty Python
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-16 15:37:51  
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Fairy.Spence said:
I think we're just getting a bit 'soft' in general. The caning and what not is a bit much, but I think we need stronger deterrents.
after you get caned like that, you wouldn't wanna do anything bad again. America is getting soft with capital punishment.

What'd he do to warrant that?

And Wee, he didn't have to die, cuz there are far worse things than dying IMO :P
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-16 15:38:32  
Should have the choice to become a gladiator.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-06-16 15:39:29  
Fairy.Spence said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Fairy.Spence said:

What'd he do to warrant that?

And Wee, he didn't have to die, cuz there are far worse things than dying IMO :P
he was convicted of a killing back in 1985 and got 15 to life. Then he got convicted of a more recent killing and got the death penalty.

Fate worse than death? Living as a quada-plegic, life in prison as a child molester
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-16 15:39:51  
Surprised we haven't capitalized on death with Blood Sport pay-per-view yet. Aren't we an opportunistic nation?
 Asura.Rule
サーバ: Asura
user: Rule
By Asura.Rule 2010-06-16 15:40:59  
Fairy.Spence said:

we need to stop throwing people in prison that like to smoke a little herb after work and leave the prisons for the real criminals.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-06-16 15:40:59  
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Surprised we haven't capitalized on death with Blood Sport pay-per-view yet. Aren't we an opportunistic nation?
then you'll have those Prius driving, Star bucks sippin, tree hugging hippies crying that its inhumane
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-16 15:41:08  
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Fate worse than death? Living as a quada-plegic, life in prison as a child molester

Pretty much, I'd rather die than live out the rest of my life in prison without a chance of getting out

And yea, quadriplegic wouldn't be too much fun either
 Asura.Allyson
By Asura.Allyson 2010-06-16 15:41:53  
Fairy.Spence said:

Research has shown, over and over again, that harsher punishments make recidivism worse.

Maybe the opinion we differ on isn't really the severity of punishment needed, but the role of the justice system. I believe the purpose of the prison system is to turn criminals into functioning members of society. A jail sentence does nothing if the person just commits another crime upon being released. You've only succeed in delaying the inevitable. Justice should be about transforming criminals into members of society, or removing them from it if the former isn't possible. Revenge is completely useless. Justice systems are one of the things that makes law and order better then the alternative.
 Ragnarok.Corres
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2010-06-16 15:42:58  
Fairy.Spence said:
okay so let's say: we have a murderer and he gets the Death Penalty; oh damn US already have that in some states. well guess what, there is no way for a deterrent that is so hard that the murder-rate will go down. Never, ever. Humans are stupid and they do stupid things are horrible things. but worse than death penalty. man what you wanna do to him? kill him call dr.Frankenstein make him alive again just to kill him again?

and for the sake of argument: let's say we put someone that's being alleged to a sexual crime in prison right away. And even when he's charged guilty. put him in and throw away the key. But if it turns out he did not do it. oopsie-daisy can just say "sorry" and let him go.

and that's what gonna happen: more people come faster into prisons and that means you gotta get your good ol' bucks out because it'll cost ya. More than having a trial and then get him into prison.

btw: i kinda digg the "cut the *** off" but `what about female sexual Molesters? there a LOT of not known cases of child abuse in sexual terms done by women.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-16 15:43:20  
I read an interesting story once where the civilization had gotten to the point where killing someone for any crime was too horrible to think about.

Instead they killed there body and at the last moment of consciousness transferred them to a clone they made. Then they made them clean up there other dead body. This continued till it was agreed by a panel of impartial random people that he clearly showed remorse and would never do it again.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-16 15:44:10  
Well was fun discussing crime/justice with y'all, but alas it's time for work. Later~
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-16 15:45:18  
Asura.Rule said:
Fairy.Spence said:
we need to stop throwing people in prison that like to smoke a little herb after work and leave the prisons for the real criminals.
I'm sure alot of those "real criminals" think they same thing about drug users.
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-16 15:48:34  
Asura.Allyson said:
Fairy.Spence said:

Research has shown, over and over again, that harsher punishments make recidivism worse.

Maybe the opinion we differ on isn't really the severity of punishment needed, but the role of the justice system. I believe the purpose of the prison system is to turn criminals into functioning members of society. A jail sentence does nothing if the person just commits another crime upon being released. You've only succeed in delaying the inevitable. Justice should be about transforming criminals into members of society, or removing them from it if the former isn't possible. Revenge is completely useless. Justice systems are one of the things that makes law and order better then the alternative.

I wasn't thinking of severity in terms of sentence duration. I was thinking something like physical pain deterrent, I don't even know, I was just kinda musing trying to kill time at work.

My biggest grief on this subject is just the process in which 'Justice' is carried out, you were right. There are farm too many catches and loop holes, but that goes back to the whole equal rights thing.

I'm sure you can understand how it gets frustrating, there's no right way to go about it.
 Shiva.Superdan
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-06-16 15:52:04  
Shiva.Weewoo said:

Ever seen the film Gamer?

Do Want.
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-16 15:52:53  
Shiva.Superdan said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:

Do Want.

Pfft! Running man!
 Ragnarok.Corres
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2010-06-16 15:56:35  
Fairy.Spence said:
Shiva.Superdan said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:

Do Want.

Pfft! Running man!
but please include such a nice host:
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-16 15:56:56  
Fairy.Spence said:
Shiva.Superdan said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:

Do Want.
Pfft! Running man!
Oh god yes. Running man was awesome ***. Some of the cheesiest movie lines ever
 Shiva.Superdan
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-06-16 15:59:24  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Shiva.Superdan said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:

Do Want.
Pfft! Running man!
Oh god yes. Running man was awesome ***. Some of the cheesiest movie lines ever

Running man was pretty sick too.

The ice guy was awesome xD
 Asura.Allyson
By Asura.Allyson 2010-06-16 16:00:54  
Fairy.Spence said:
I wasn't thinking of severity in terms of sentence duration. I was thinking something like physical pain deterrent, I don't even know, I was just kinda musing trying to kill time at work.

My biggest grief on this subject is just the process in which 'Justice' is carried out, you were right. There are farm too many catches and loop holes, but that goes back to the whole equal rights thing.

I'm sure you can understand how it gets frustrating, there's no right way to go about it.

lol, Yea. I think anyone reading this thread must be having a boring day at work.

I think in the end pain is a deterrent in the same way that time served in prison is, they are both things people generally want to avoid. I would think it would be really unlikely that the change in style of deterrent would make the results any different.

Frustration is a great thing though. A lot of people don't even care enough about the way things happen in this world to work themselves into frustration. Ultimately the debate boils down to the rights of the government vs. the rights of the individual, but I wish people would have that conversation more often. No one cares about this stuff anymore. D:
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-16 16:03:09  
I still think if you could make someone live thru the pain of many excruiating deaths without killing them it would be a pretty good deterrent. Or at least break them ;)
 Asura.Allyson
By Asura.Allyson 2010-06-16 16:06:53  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
I still think if you could make someone live thru the pain of many excruiating deaths without killing them it would be a pretty good deterrent. Or at least break them ;)

Vis-à-vis 1984?

I guess it worked out great for Big Brother, lol.
 Asura.Chareos
user: chareos
By Asura.Chareos 2010-06-16 16:12:19  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
I win again, Lews Therin.

Kudos for anyone who gets the reference.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8