DRK/MNK Caladbolg Tanking?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » DRK/MNK Caladbolg Tanking?
DRK/MNK Caladbolg Tanking?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Fenrir.Gradd
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-12-28 04:07:08  
I give it three more days and I will be done with my Caladbolg, 29 lanterns to go, been getting 10 a night with the help of my LS spamming CC for me this week.

Just wondering in general if anyone has tried out counter stance tanking with /MNK support job and how it compares to MNK as a main job. That new Atma "Atma of Roaring Laughter" STR Major Counter Major should make up for the lack of Melee Gaiters/Merits that you would be missing out from having MNK as a main. Or would Gnarled horn be enough? The AGI is nice for the Subtle blow effect, that is how AGI works now right?

Also with Torcleaver and its Aftermath using Razed Ruins you would have alot of 1k+ counters ripping the NM or mob that you are tanking to shreds.

My MNK is only level 9 so cant really try it out yet but planning to get it to 49 after I finish my GS this week.

I wanted to try out WAR/MNK tanking but I dont plan to play WAR anymore after I finish my Caladbolg. DRK has always been my passion and what I plan to stick too :3

Would really like some feedback from anyone else that has tried it out thanks~

-Gradd
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
サーバ: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-12-28 04:23:11  
Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
People still play DRK?
and the trolling begins....
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-12-28 04:28:15  
People still play DRK?

Right now? No I play WHM and WAR more than anything at the moment.

But once I finish my Caladbolg ill refuse to play anything else pretty much~

Constant 1k crits are whats up.

A regular DRK is ***yea doesnt compare to any other DD, but with Torcleaver and the Empyrean AM its another story.
[+]
 Siren.Kunimatsu
サーバ: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2010-12-28 04:37:12  
People still play DRK?

Whoevers rating this down needs to grow a thicker skin and learn how to take a joke, your tears are delicious to spicy :P
[+]
サーバ: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-12-28 04:39:39  
Siren.Kunimatsu said:
People still play DRK?
Whoevers rating this down needs to grow a thicker skin and learn how to take a joke, your tears are delicious to spicy :P
You say that as if ratings matter. No one cares about them.
[+]
 Siren.Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2010-12-28 04:48:50  
Titan.Darkwizardzin said:
Siren.Kunimatsu said:
People still play DRK?

But it's the only way some people can express their butthurt on the forum D:
[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
サーバ: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-28 04:55:56  
Siren.Kunimatsu said:
Titan.Darkwizardzin said:
Siren.Kunimatsu said:
People still play DRK?

But it's the only way some people can express their nerd-raging anonymous butthurt on the forum D:

ftfy :D
[+]
 Siren.Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2010-12-28 04:58:42  
Very true lol
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-28 06:14:33  
Fenrir.Gradd said:

A regular DRK is ***yea doesnt compare to any other DD, but with Torcleaver and the Empyrean AM its another story.
If you're comparing it to non emp DDs, sure, other than that, nah.

As for your question, base counter on mnk (w/ merits) is 15%. Counterstance is 50% (keeping in mind this is base trait + merits for 50% on CS), so puts you 5% behind atm, melee gaiters is 10%, and all mnks should be using gnarled horn, 10%, which puts you 25% behind. GH yourself puts you 15% behind. Idk the % counter on roaring laughter, but even if you were to make this build semi feasable, giving up a DD atma (Fstr should be near/at cap already so the str from RL shouldn't do anything), puts you in a position to where you probably wouldn't be tanking.

I do more dmg than the Emp GSD drk in my shell as it is now with Rev fists+2 (WoE victory smite, no aftermath) by a long shot, I don't see you keeping up giving up a DD atma in the process.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-12-28 06:36:40  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:

If you're comparing it to non emp DDs, sure, other than that, nah.

As for your question, base counter on mnk (w/ merits) is 15%. Counterstance is 50% (keeping in mind this is base trait + merits for 50% on CS), so puts you 5% behind atm, melee gaiters is 10%, and all mnks should be using gnarled horn, 10%, which puts you 25% behind. GH yourself puts you 15% behind. Idk the % counter on roaring laughter, but even if you were to make this build semi feasable, giving up a DD atma (Fstr should be near/at cap already so the str from RL shouldn't do anything), puts you in a position to where you probably wouldn't be tanking.

I do more dmg than the Emp GSD drk in my shell as it is now with Rev fists+2 (WoE victory smite, no aftermath) by a long shot, I don't see you keeping up giving up a DD atma in the process.

I'll take your word for it, you are probably the most knowledgeable Mnk on this forum by a long shot.

Its more as I miss tanking and I am not going to level MNK or NIN, I was a career PLD for a very very long time, I plan to start Tanking on DRK once I finish Caladbolg, do you think /MNK will be more efficient than /nin overrall is another one of my questions?

I have a Spharai MNK in my LS, and a few other MNKs that I would never tank over on DRK, I know my place, I WHM the majority of things I do these days. But when the Tanks I can trust are not on I plan on tanking myself, just trying to find out which would be the most efficient way to do it on DRK.

I saw Oblits post too like a month ago too pre-update about Sam/Mnk pretty curious as too if he has tried it with his Masamune and how the Aftermath effects his counters.

Thanks for the info as well.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-28 06:41:21  
Idk honestly, you'd have to try it and judge for yourself, I guess. Just keep in mind that mnk also has perfect counter which is 1-2 free counters via perfect counter every minute, which also boosts mnk's counter rate (before i was just going over % chance to counter) by another 5% or so.

Rly depends on the mob, I guess. The gardua t2 VNM, I'd prolly CS over anything. It hits fast and can't be slowed. (well resisted every slow I ever saw on it).
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2010-12-28 07:35:58  
Siren.Kunimatsu said:
People still play DRK?
You say it as if he hasn't already made the joke in every single DRK thread since his drk dinged 37. He can call it "trolling" if that makes him feel better but, after the 50th time, just admit you're not witty. Find new material kthx.
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-12-28 07:41:14  
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Its more as I miss tanking

Didnt you say you had war?
war/sam, tank like a boss.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-12-28 07:56:33  
Bismarck.Altar said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Its more as I miss tanking

Didnt you say you had war?
war/sam, tank like a boss.

I am pretty sure my Caladbolg DRK can and will outdo my WAR, I have no intention of doing WoE for Ukko's either.
 Bismarck.Selzak
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Selzak 2010-12-28 10:54:50  
I don't see many turtle PLDs anymore, but how much does a VIT and DEF build help? The Torcleaver mod appears to be heavy VIT, so is there anything worth considering in a defense build DRK with huge WS numbers?
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-28 11:58:45  
Bismarck.Selzak said:
I don't see many turtle PLDs anymore, but how much does a VIT and DEF build help? The Torcleaver mod appears to be heavy VIT, so is there anything worth considering in a defense build DRK with huge WS numbers?
...wat?
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-28 12:21:14  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

I think it's common knowledge that MNK is horribly overpowered in Abyssea.

At the end of the day, DRK isn't really in a position where a DRK/MNK counter build would help, since you put a naked MNK with fruit punches in the battle and you're never going to have hate to counter anyway.

It's coming to the point where I can't even say "Well, at least we got stun" since it seems 90% of the ***in this game resists Stun now, just like they resist souleater cause god forbid DRK be half as useful as MNK or NIN. Of course, you certainly don't see SE rushing out a patch to cap Counter rate though, do you?
 Valefor.Setsugekka
サーバ: Valefor
user: Nameless
By Valefor.Setsugekka 2010-12-28 12:24:40  
I honestly don't build my DRK to try to top a mnk or a war in abyssea anymore, it's not going to happen one way or another. I know I am going to be disappointed when I get Caladbolg and a random mnk still sh*t on my damage, that's whatever, fudo SAMs are crying too for the same reason. Critical WS or gtfo.

Thing is, we are not going to be in abyssea forever, I am pretty sure from 90 to 99 we will be outside abyssea. I have no idea how SE is going to redo the outside zones, but unless there are two more abyssea expansions, I expect us to be out of abyssea for extended end game stuff.

When that happens, DRK should be relevant again. For now, I play DRK for the fun of playing DRK, similar to how I play PLD for the fun of playing PLD even though it has no place in the game now.

However, I do expect us to get a decent WS at 400 skill. At that time, I hope Torcleaver would still be good, or I would be a bit disappointed cuz I am getting Caladbolg solely for a good WS.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-28 12:31:01  
Valefor.Setsugekka said:

When that happens, DRK should be relevant again. For now, I play DRK for the fun of playing DRK, similar to how I play PLD for the fun of playing PLD even though it has no place in the game now.

Bolded: Will never happen.

The way I figure it, only 1 person can be "The best" in game, and if people like Tigerwoods and Spicyryan are to be believed, everyone else (Including them, because they're nowhere near the top as well) are totally worthless. So might as well play what you have fun on, especially if you're like me, lacking the desire to sacrfice what is needed to be "The best" (Which is pretty much everything).
[+]
 Valefor.Setsugekka
By Valefor.Setsugekka 2010-12-28 12:35:42  
I agree with that kind of thinking. Tho the difference between the best and the rest shouldn't be this big, or at least I hope not in the future for game balance's sake.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-28 12:38:23  
Valefor.Setsugekka said:
I agree with that kind of thinking. Tho the difference between the best and the rest shouldn't be this big, or at least I hope not in the future for game balance's sake.

MMO's and shitty balancing is an olde tale sung by many a bard! We just happen to like the Job getting ***on, and are too stubborn to jump on the newfag monk bandwagon, that's all.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-12-28 12:43:48  
Even with Caladbolg, you'd be beat by Masamune SAMs <.<;
Caladbolg is essentially Masamune -1, with a worse ws (wtf mods)
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-28 12:49:39  
Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Even with Caladbolg, you'd be beat by Masamune SAMs <.<;
Caladbolg is essentially Masamune -1, with a worse ws (wtf mods)

Non-empyrean SAM beats Non-empyrean DRK

Empyrean SAM Beats Empyrean DRK

Where's the news in this story?

Best thing about having a Caladbolg is all the perle SAM QQ "U SHUDA GIVIN ME GEMS IF U WAIST ON CALABOLG U FUKIN N00B!"
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-12-28 13:01:57  
lol, that's awesome.
 Valefor.Setsugekka
By Valefor.Setsugekka 2010-12-28 13:10:05  
Well, it has worse modifier but has higher ftp. So pick your poison, it is not so big of a difference to say that Masamune is better. If anything, the SAM job is better, not the weapon and the WS itself. Truthfully, Caladbolg would boost a DRK's damage more than a Masamune would boost a SAM's damage.

But anyway, the point is not have everyone playing the same job just because a certain job is better. I like GS more than GK that's why I play DRK. And honestly, I have never really had trouble keeping up with SAM, if anything, it is WAR that used to give me trouble pre abyssea. With all the gear options we got (DRK gain more from AF3 than SAM imo), I doublt SAM really is that much better than DRK if at all.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-28 13:13:12  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
The way I figure it, only 1 person can be "The best" in game, and if people like Tigerwoods and Spicyryan are to be believed, everyone else (Including them, because they're nowhere near the top as well) are totally worthless.
Strawman up in this ***.
 Cerberus.Rayik
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2010-12-28 13:14:49  
At this point, I could really care less what job is "the best", since anyone can Abyssea grind a job to 90. Play what you have fun with. I've been hearing "loldrk" comments for years, and I'm still here, swinging my scythe.

I've been curious about going /mnk sometime as well, on paper it sounds good. Has yet to be seen in practice, and like was said above, all the Counter in the world wont matter if you can't get hate from the over-powered mnk. Sure glad I never merited Muted Soul if /mnk works out...
 Lakshmi.Zaps
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zaps
By Lakshmi.Zaps 2010-12-28 13:16:25  
i plan on giving the 2 masa's in my shell a run for their money when i finish caladbolg.

tanking sounds fun tbh, ill have to give it a try eventually.

protip: game isn't hard anymore, start doing things the fun way while still being efficient. Watching a bard do 1200 evis's is both awesome and hilarious at the same time.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-12-28 13:22:44  
Sounds like it would be fun at the very least. As a warrior and monk (before the bandwagon craze), I think it's funny how many warriors and monks I see running around now that would have never given them the time of day before.

I play monk because I enjoy it. You all should play the job that you enjoy as well. Big numbers mean jack ***now. You can duo/dual box most of abyssea. Who you going to show your big numbers off to?
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5