users online
Being a jerk
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Garuda.Pastor
サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Pastor
By Garuda.Pastor 2009-02-24 20:09:24  
I have been playing FFXI from around late summer of 2006 and in that time of course i have seen a few things. I want to know if you have ever been a jerk for what ever reason and later regretted it.

One time i saw a player D/C to the Morion worm NM, i swooped in and killed it and got a drop. Then the player comes back moments after i finished killing it. He then says "drop?" and for some reason i cannot explain i lied and said no the player left and im sure he was annoyed. I felt like a total jerk for A stealing his mob and B failing to tell the truth about the drop. I just kept thinking to myself now what if that was me ?

so yeah do tell us all your tales, i like to think of myself as a nice player but that was a moment when i was a jerk.
 Bahamut.Memimi
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Memimi
By Bahamut.Memimi 2009-02-24 20:14:37  
One time I got invited to a level 52 party on bard and I was 60. My search comment said 55+ only. They asked why I wouldn't come and instead of saying something like "/seacom Please check it." or "Aht Urghan only." or "Skill ups." I said "I'm a douchebard. I don't have to party with you if I don't want to, and in all honesty, your name is silly."
 Garuda.Pastor
By Garuda.Pastor 2009-02-24 20:17:01  
Memimi said:
One time I got invited to a level 52 party on bard and I was 60. My search comment said 55+ only. They asked why I wouldn't come and instead of saying something like "/seacom Please check it." or "Aht Urghan only." or "Skill ups." I said "I'm a douchebard. I don't have to party with you if I don't want to, and in all honesty, your name is silly."

did you regret saying that? or was it one of those days where you being /tell raped ?
 Bahamut.Cyr
user: Cyr
By Bahamut.Cyr 2009-02-24 20:17:34  
Memimi said:

Will you marry me? ;;
 Shiva.Phioness
サーバ: Shiva
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2009-02-24 20:17:52  
I killed the PH for Noble Mold because I was pissed off at Japanese Elitism (and drunk) and a JP was camping it.
 Garuda.Pastor
By Garuda.Pastor 2009-02-24 20:21:58  
Phioness said:
I killed the PH for Noble Mold because I was pissed off at Japanese Elitism (and drunk) and a JP was camping it.

LOL i wonder how many times someone who is already pissed off themselves pisses off another person while drunk ?
 Siren.Khellendros
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Khellendros 2009-02-24 20:30:27  
Someone once asked me for his opinion on his gear as a RDM (I don't even recall what it was, all I know was it sucked) so I told him as such. They were around lvl 70 or so and wearing something that gave no bonuses to mage related stats, so I gave suggestions on what they could wear. They went off on me about how I was another end game ***. Later on I was seeking on RNG and only 7 people were seeking. Since I was doing something while seeking instead of making a party (a horribly lazy habit of mine), I was the only one left out of the party because the guy I picked apart was the one who invited everyone. I'm not too bitter about it since the others told me it was a waste of time though...
 Garuda.Pastor
By Garuda.Pastor 2009-02-24 20:34:35  
Khellendros said:
Someone once asked me for his opinion on his gear as a RDM (I don't even recall what it was, all I know was it sucked) so I told him as such. They were around lvl 70 or so and wearing something that gave no bonuses to mage related stats, so I gave suggestions on what they could wear. They went off on me about how I was another end game ***. Later on I was seeking on RNG and only 7 people were seeking. Since I was doing something while seeking instead of making a party (a horribly lazy habit of mine), I was the only one left out of the party because the guy I picked apart was the one who invited everyone. I'm not too bitter about it since the others told me it was a waste of time though...

well based on what you said if it was truthful then the other player sounds like the jerk in this story you cannot ask for someones opinion and then QQ when you don't like the answer.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-24 20:34:39  
Khellendros said:

This goes back to a post from the what grinds your gears thread, but kinda in reverse. People said they hated how people tell them they suck or their gear sucks, but won't tell them why. If you ask someone for a suggestion on your gear, it shows that you care about your job and are humble that *shock* someone else might actually know better. To then get shitty when someone tells you your DEX rings are pointless on rdm just makes you a noob.

Edit: damnit Pastor, beat me to it by 4 seconds!
 Garuda.Pastor
By Garuda.Pastor 2009-02-24 20:35:48  
Blazza said:
Khellendros said:

This goes back to a post from the what grinds your gears thread, but kinda in reverse. People said they hated how people tell them they suck or their gear sucks, but won't tell them why. If you ask someone for a suggestion on your gear, it shows that you care about your job and are humble that *shock* someone else might actually know better. To then get shitty when someone tells you your DEX rings are pointless on rdm just makes you a noob.

lol so true
 Siren.Khellendros
By Siren.Khellendros 2009-02-24 20:38:54  
Well if you really want a story about when I was a ***, then it's totally gotta do with Leaping Lizzy. I was exping on my lvl 10 PUP and killed LL using Overdrive. Toooootally pissed off about 10 people /rng.
 Garuda.Pastor
By Garuda.Pastor 2009-02-24 20:40:45  
Khellendros said:
Well if you really want a story about when I was a ***, then it's totally gotta do with Leaping Lizzy. I was exping on my lvl 10 PUP and killed LL using Overdrive. Toooootally pissed off about 10 people /rng.

one time when i as on DRK/THF camping LL i was checking spawn areas knowing a pop of new lizards was due i just happen to flee to LL and kill it it so pissed off a BST/RNG QQing at me but it was fine i did nothing wrong and i got no drop but it must of looked dodgy :/
 Bahamut.Memimi
By Bahamut.Memimi 2009-02-24 20:45:36  
Cyr said:
Memimi said:

Will you marry me? ;;

We already talked about this. :/
 Ifrit.Haseyo
サーバ: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-02-24 20:48:59
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

NMs bring out everyone's inner ***. >.>;
Friend of mine got fustrated with the O.kote NM, so got 5 people to outclaim this other lower level'd Mnk. (he didn't seem like an elite player)
 Odin.Liela
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-02-24 21:00:12  
I was awful once during a campaign battle. It was back in the day when people would sub bard and stand there singing to themselves, we had lost control of rolenberry fields, so we were attacking fortifications. Some army, I don't even remember which one, came to defend and I was running back to the dude to trade in my tags for a new set. I had no idea that the NM from the fight was chasing me until I was all the way to the dude, he killed me and about 20-25 people who were standing there subbing bard. Everyone else on my linkshell thought it was hilarious, but I felt so bad!
 Bahamut.Memimi
By Bahamut.Memimi 2009-02-24 21:01:57  
Pastor said:
Memimi said:

did you regret saying that? or was it one of those days where you being /tell raped ?

Eh, I just hate people that can't read search comments. They are there for a reason... :/ And they didn't just ask me to party, but they asked why I wouldn't as well. D:
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-24 21:02:55  
Liela said:
I was awful once during a campaign battle. It was back in the day when people would sub bard and stand there singing to themselves, we had lost control of rolenberry fields, so we were attacking fortifications. Some army, I don't even remember which one, came to defend and I was running back to the dude to trade in my tags for a new set. I had no idea that the NM from the fight was chasing me until I was all the way to the dude, he killed me and about 20-25 people who were standing there subbing bard. Everyone else on my linkshell thought it was hilarious, but I felt so bad!

Lol, I used to drag the nastiest NM's to the brd idiots on purpose, good times :D
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-24 21:03:08

Liela said:
Some army, I don't even remember which one, came to defend and I was running back to the dude to trade in my tags for a new set. I had no idea that the NM from the fight was chasing me until I was all the way to the dude, he killed me and about 20-25 people who were standing there subbing bard. Everyone else on my linkshell thought it was hilarious, but I felt so bad!

Felt bad?! My God you're a hero!
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 21:17:55  
Phioness said:
Japanese Elitism

I do hope you know that people like you are one of the leading causes for the so-called elitism. I'm Japanese, but I live in the US now so I don't discriminate, but Americans tend to suck at everything FFXI-related and the JPs don't like to deal with it.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
サーバ: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-02-24 21:23:11

Enternius said:
Phioness said:
Japanese Elitism

I do hope you know that people like you are one of the leading causes for the so-called elitism. I'm Japanese, but I live in the US now so I don't discriminate, but Americans tend to suck at everything FFXI-related and the JPs don't like to deal with it.

Pfft, just like an elitist jp. D:<
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 21:24:53  
Lol.

I wouldn't be on an American site if I was like that, don't you think?
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-24 21:26:05  
Enternius said:
Phioness said:
Japanese Elitism

I'd have to disagree with that. As much as I hate to generalise and group every single JP player together, there is a LOT of JP elitism on Odin. I understand it to a degree, but it goes way beyond a simple language barrier to the point where a lot of JP are just *** rude.

Having said that, a lot of English players are a lot worse. You know who you are!

/points

Although, as an Aussie player, and someone who always tries to do the right thing, I found it funny when someone told me the other day (knowing full well that I was Aussie) that all NA are the same, and went on to say that NA = all English players, and that we're all selfish. This was after he failed to mention that if he got the 25 piece that dropped from the salvage boss he would have completed Usukane feet, and bitched to me about it in /tell for 2 hours. For the record, 2 of the same piece dropped, the 1st one went to the leader (because it completed a set, not because he's the leader) and the second was free-lot because no-one had the 35 piece of the same set.

</rant>

Edit: Really killed my happy buzz after killing our first boss and completing our first piece of gear in one go -_-
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 21:28:05  
Enternius said:
I do hope you know that people like you are one of the leading causes for the so-called elitism.

Enternius said:
but Americans tend to suck at everything FFXI-related

Didn't you just do the exact same thing? <.<

That point aside however, there's a few times I've felt regretful of my actions in this game. I think everyone has these moments. None of them particularly sit out as "Oh my gosh, what have I done" type situations, though I haven't really felt too remorseful recently.
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2009-02-24 21:30:01  
There was a rdm soloing Steamcleaner and my linkshell was hanging around watching...I guess to get it if he died. Well, it went white and I stole it (because I thought that's why we were waiting around and that I was supposed to). Well, I got chewed out by our leader and felt bad because I am really not that type of person. So there's my confession. Jerkiest thing I've ever done and regretted it. I have to say, though, that I think it's just as bad to watch a person die, then take the NM.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 21:30:56  
Wooooodum said:

Didn't you just do the exact same thing? <.<

I was justifying the logic. I don't actually think that.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 21:32:33  
Phyrefly said:
I have to say, though, that I think it's just as bad to watch a person die, then take the NM.

I agree. Unfortunately, though, it's looked down upon to cure somebody too. Some people go so far as to put blockaid on, even if you're only trying to be nice and help them out. The problem is there is no difference in animation, sound or potency of a helpful cure and a cure designed to pull hate in an attempt to reclaim.

Since I try not to step on people's toes too much, I usually don't cure people. I don't hang around waiting to see if they will die, since I both have better things to do and hate it when people do it to me. I will offer my cure and I have sometimes offered to team up with people on fights. If they turn down my offer to help them and then die, well then, it serves them right at that point, as far as I'm concerned.
 Bahamut.Cyr
user: Cyr
By Bahamut.Cyr 2009-02-24 21:33:11  
Memimi said:
Cyr said:
Memimi said:

Will you marry me? ;;

We already talked about this. :/

So, yes?
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-24 21:33:47

Belittling others with condescending attitudes of elitism isn't exclusive to one country over the entire world. Human behavior in all aspects apply to everyone around the world. JP *** are just as guilty as NA ***.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-24 21:33:52  
Phyrefly said:
There was a rdm soloing Steamcleaner and my linkshell was hanging around watching...I guess to get it if he died. Well, it went white and I stole it (because I thought that's why we were waiting around and that I was supposed to). Well, I got chewed out by our leader and felt bad because I am really not that type of person. So there's my confession. Jerkiest thing I've ever done and regretted it. I have to say, though, that I think it's just as bad to watch a person die, then take the NM.

Not really, as long as you don't interfere, most people that solo NM's know damn well that if they die it's fair game. Any rdm that dies to a sky NM and has someone take it is not gonna get angry (well maybe at themselves for failing), and if they do they're not worth worrying about imo.
What you did was wrong imo, and you deserved to get chewed out over it, but considering your LS probably killed it in about 10 seconds, you could have fixed the issue by giving the rdm the pop item.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-24 21:36:58  
Wooooodum said:
Phyrefly said:
I have to say, though, that I think it's just as bad to watch a person die, then take the NM.

I agree. Unfortunately, though, it's looked down upon to cure somebody too. Some people go so far as to put blockaid on, even if you're only trying to be nice and help them out. The problem is there is no difference in animation, sound or potency of a helpful cure and a cure designed to pull hate in an attempt to reclaim.

Since I try not to step on people's toes too much, I usually don't cure people. I don't hang around waiting to see if they will die, since I both have better things to do and hate it when people do it to me. I will offer my cure and I have sometimes offered to team up with people on fights. If they turn down my offer to help them and then die, well then, it serves them right at that point, as far as I'm concerned.

Blazza said:
Phyrefly said:

Not really, as long as you don't interfere, most people that solo NM's know damn well that if they die it's fair game. Any rdm that dies to a sky NM and has someone take it is not gonna get angry (well maybe at themselves for failing), and if they do they're not worth worrying about imo.
What you did was wrong imo, and you deserved to get chewed out over it, but considering your LS probably killed it in about 10 seconds, you could have fixed the issue by giving the rdm the pop item.

yay self quote

Having said that, if we find someone solo-ing a mob we don't hang about waiting for them to die... Unless they look unsteady and we reeeally need that one pop item. We still won't steal though.
First Page 2 3 4 5