フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Armageddon Vs. Gandiva
Armageddon Vs. Gandiva
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Shiva.Vladmir
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Vladmir
By Shiva.Vladmir 2011-10-27 13:59:03  
Ok so for the career RNG out there, I read through all the posts and didnt see this on up there. Which in your opinion is better for a RNG. I'm looking to lvl RNG soon and just wondering which of the 2 Empys is better. Armageddon is the easier of the two to get IMO. Gandiva tier 1 is easy but Buhkis is a pain. Let me know guys. and Thanks
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-10-27 14:03:38  
I'd say Armageddon. A ws with reduced enmity is just that great.
[+]
By BorealisV2 2011-10-27 14:05:57  
Gandiva.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-10-27 14:07:50  
If you're a career ranger, just do both.

I know that's a cheap answer and you were probably looking for definitive numbers about which puts out more damage or which is overall better.

But the bottom line is that Armageddon is so easy to do that doing both isn't really that big a hurdle if you actually consider yourself a career Ranger and each has different benefits.

Personally I have Armageddon because I consider myself a career Corsair. I did Harrier+2 for Jishnu's (or, as I call it, Hobo's Radiance), and have other "career" jobs I'm more focused on, but both are really worth having, especially if you do, in fact, consider Ranger to be among your main pursuits.

I believe Gandiva will provide you with better pure damage in most situations.

Also consider that Yoichinoyumi or Annihilator are also more attainable than they've ever been, if that's a path you're interested in traveling. I may personally begin working on a Yoichi for my Samurai in the near future.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-10-27 14:09:03  
get Armageddon!
brews with it are fantastic
 Cerberus.Tikal
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-10-27 14:09:49  
Gandiva is probably easier than Armageddon, considering Fistule can be solo'd pretty effectively. Only took me 3 days of casually farming to get my stage 1.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-10-27 14:10:00  
I'd do Arma/Yoichi. Gandiva is very cool, but also looks like a suicide tool.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-10-27 14:10:43  
Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn said: »
get Armageddon! brews with it are fantastic

Among the reasons to do both. Again, if you consider yourself a career Ranger.

But again, if you consider yourself career, I'd also consider one of Yoichi/Annihilator.
[+]
 Odin.Skeero
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Skeero 2011-10-27 14:17:18  
Gandiva will put out more dmg, but will also get you killed faster. Luckily you can use the emnity down med for VW so thats not a big issue anymore. And who cares about brewing abyssea is over. Wildfire is great and all, but cor uses it a lot better than a rng can.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-10-27 14:20:46  
Quote:
but cor uses it a lot better than a rng can.

Fact.

It's still a decent weapon, however.

Quote:
And who cares about brewing abyssea is over.

Abyssea has been pretty thoroughly played through, it's true, but being able to brew certain things certainly makes life easier. Not really needed, but much quicker. Farming Azdaja comes to mind.

Again, hardly necessary. But vastly easier.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-10-27 14:25:48  
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Abyssea has been pretty thoroughly played through, it's true, but being able to brew certain things certainly makes life easier. Not really needed, but much quicker. Farming Azdaja comes to mind.

Again, hardly necessary. But vastly easier.

gotta remember that voidwatch can stack up your cruor quick

if you spam voidwatch enough youll have brew's available! :D
 Carbuncle.Huttburt
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: huttburt
By Carbuncle.Huttburt 2011-10-27 14:28:56  
Odin.Skeero said: »
Gandiva will put out more dmg, but will also get you killed faster. Luckily you can use the emnity down med for VW so thats not a big issue anymore. And who cares about brewing abyssea is over. Wildfire is great and all, but cor uses it a lot better than a rng can.

abyssea is over? Last I checked the majority of gear still came from there.
[+]
 Siren.Gunshy
サーバ: Siren
user: Siryn
By Siren.Gunshy 2011-10-27 14:41:24  
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
I'd say Armageddon. A ws with reduced enmity is just that great.

Is it though? I only have experience with arma on cor so perhaps thats why but I've found myself pulling hate when I start epeening (and hate reset mobs are all over the place these days)

I dont know anybody with an anni but arma doesnt seem at all comparable to the idea you can go all out and never grab attention like anni. So i'm kinda curious if Armageddon's reduced emnity is really that effective or more of a placebo especially now with trickshot for rng.
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-10-27 14:55:18  
Armageddon is much better than Gandiva outside abyssea, simply because you won't pull hate if you know what you're doing. Gnostic's drink is nice, but you're still stuck at the -50 enmity cap. If you're not pulling hate even with gnostic's drink on, then

A. You suck

B. You're holding back so as not to pull hate

In either scenario, you're still going to fall behind an armageddon RNG that does not need to hold back, or does not suck. It seems blatantly clear to me that this is the case, but people still prefer the bow for whatever reason. I don't have either, but I do have an annihilator, and I can say that the lack of hate generation completely changes the way you can play RNG.

Note: Gandiva is great for abyssea (if you're going RNG for some reason).

Response to above post: There's nothing you can really do about mobs that have hate reset, but it does allow the tank to regain hate fairly easily. Also, corsair does not have decoy shot obviously so that changes things a lot.
 Leviathan.Iddy
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Idril
By Leviathan.Iddy 2011-10-27 14:56:35  
All depends on how you like to play and what you are going to be fighting. I have Arma(also working on Gandiva) and i really do love it. The low enmity on Wildfire really is amazing and if you are set up right can put really good numbers. In aby Gandiva will probably out dmg Armageddon overall but it also depends what you are fighting. In alot of the new Void watch the other rngs with bow hit 400ish jinshu's while I'm hitting 1400-1600 wildfires, and again with the low enmity of wildfire the gandiva rng will pull hate before me even tho their numbers are lower. If you really are set in being a carrer ranger go for both that way when your fighting something magic damage resistant you can use bow and something physically resistant you can use gun. So in reality neither is better than the other, they both have their strengths and weaknesses and where one falls short the other can pick up the slack.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-10-27 14:59:43  
That's why I suggested Yoichi over Gandiva as for bow: Namas also has low enmity generation and is still a powerful ws. Also relics are very easy to do now(actually much easier then an empyrean).
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-10-27 15:01:25  
Leviathan.Iddy said: »
All depends on how you like to play and what you are going to be fighting. I have Arma(also working on Gandiva) and i really do love it. The low enmity on Wildfire really is amazing and if you are set up right can put really good numbers. In aby Gandiva will probably out dmg Armageddon overall but it also depends what you are fighting. In alot of the new Void watch the other rngs with bow hit 400ish jinshu's while I'm hitting 1400-1600 wildfires, and again with the low enmity of wildfire the gandiva rng will pull hate before me even tho their numbers are lower. If you really are set in being a carrer ranger go for both that way when your fighting something magic damage resistant you can use bow and something physically resistant you can use gun. So in reality neither is better than the other, they both have their strengths and weaknesses and where one falls short the other can pick up the slack.

I would agree with this. I forgot to mention in my post that obviously armageddon is screwed on mobs that resist fire damage. You could still use slug shot I suppose.

400 jishnu's seems extremely low. Is that accurate? I'm guessing they forgot to eat accuracy food or something.
 Carbuncle.Haseo
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Harusame
By Carbuncle.Haseo 2011-10-27 15:02:03  
I did VW with a ranger who has a 95 Yoichinoyumi and comparatively his WS was only doing slightly less than WF was but he was getting more DPS for sure.

For Arma tho I think the enmity generated varies based on how much tp you use the WS at. Overall though Wildfire is kinda like a cheaper magical version of Coronach. Currently working on Gandiva and from what I've seen from other RNGs who already have the weapon or the WoE version they just manage hate like they used to with Sidewinder/Slugshot.

Armageddon is nice for rng but you'll see a consistent base on cor since cor has more access to MAB rolls and MAC gear.

Does anyone know if the aftermath affects barrage? Haven't used Arma on rng much so I don't know if it does or not.
 Leviathan.Iddy
By Leviathan.Iddy 2011-10-27 15:04:17  
Thats the number they told me, in the 400ish range. I'm not sure if they ate acc food or not and it was against Pil which doesn't seem all too friendly towards physical dmg.
 Leviathan.Dodu
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-27 15:09:07  
Bismarck.Helel said: »
Armageddon is much better than Gandiva outside abyssea, simply because you won't pull hate if you know what you're doing. Gnostic's drink is nice, but you're still stuck at the -50 enmity cap. If you're not pulling hate even with gnostic's drink on, then

A. You suck

B. You're holding back so as not to pull hate

In either scenario, you're still going to fall behind an armageddon RNG that does not need to hold back, or does not suck. It seems blatantly clear to me that this is the case, but people still prefer the bow for whatever reason. I don't have either, but I do have an annihilator, and I can say that the lack of hate generation completely changes the way you can play RNG.

Note: Gandiva is great for abyssea (if you're going RNG for some reason).

Response to above post: There's nothing you can really do about mobs that have hate reset, but it does allow the tank to regain hate fairly easily. Also, corsair does not have decoy shot obviously so that changes things a lot.

You seem to be under the incredibly mistaken conclusion that Armageddon is anything like Annihilator. The CE return on Wildfire is substantially higher than both Coronach and Namas.
[+]
 Leviathan.Iddy
By Leviathan.Iddy 2011-10-27 15:12:26  
Carbuncle.Haseo said: »

Armageddon is nice for rng but you'll see a consistent base on cor since cor has more access to MAB rolls and MAC gear.

That is assuming the Cor is being used as a dd or not. If a cor is @ an event normally its there for buffing up the other DD (unless in blm pt obviously) the cors dmg is just extra in the big picture. Miser's and Tacticians is what most DD pt's need kept up and makes it impossible to have the cor w/ wizards up full time simply b/c of phantom roll recast. A Cor w/ out wizards roll up really doesn't always do more dmg then a ranger with the Armageddon. Also as another piece to add into this is RNG has way more AGI both naturally and available in gear which is a 60% mod for wildfire. Also on anything bigger then an aby mob cor generally has kind of crap racc so you also lose dmg overall from the lack of connected ranged attacks. So Cor will do more damage with it assuming the cors main focus is its own damage and not the buffs of the group.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-10-27 15:14:27  
Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Gandiva is probably easier than Armageddon, considering Fistule can be solo'd pretty effectively. Only took me 3 days of casually farming to get my stage 1.
Stages 2 and 3 are substantially more annoying for Gandiva. Bukhis is still one of the most annoying NMs in Abyssea; alternatively, investing enough cruor into the weapon to brew through both stages involves a fairly high opportunity cost.

Bismarck.Helel said: »
Armageddon is much better than Gandiva outside abyssea, simply because you won't pull hate if you know what you're doing.
Not even close to true. Wildfire's enmity reduction is a percentage modifier, not a static value like Namas/Coronach. Yoichinoyumi and Annihilator remain the gold standard for any RNG who is truly concerned about their hate generation.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dodu
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-27 15:18:54  
There's also the issue of fully upgrading either Armageddon or Gandiva(if you're even capable of doing so) taking significantly longer than a relic weapon start to finish at this point.
 Bahamut.Echojin
サーバ: Bahamut
user: echojin
By Bahamut.Echojin 2011-10-27 15:31:29  
They are both good for situational things.....

Not really a "should I get this, or this?" kind of question.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2011-10-27 15:34:50  
do both. they both have there uses. Also, unless they add some huge MAB or other bonus with the level 99 upgrade, you can stop upgrading Armageddon once you get the 85, unless you really want the extra AGI for the WS mod.
 Siren.Gunshy
By Siren.Gunshy 2011-10-27 15:41:17  
Leviathan.Iddy said: »
A Cor w/ out wizards roll up really doesn't always do more dmg then a ranger with the Armageddon. Also as another piece to add into this is RNG has way more AGI both naturally and available in gear which is a 60% mod for wildfire.

While rng easily beats cor in overall damge I'd imagine a cor's wildfire always has the edge over ranger. They can fireshot beforehand to add another %20 damage plus the ability to /rdm and bring their MAB to a point where they can stack Agi effectively utilizing both mods are things rng just cant do.
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2011-10-27 15:47:13  
I'd do Arma/Yoichi. Gandiva is very cool, but also looks like a suicide tool.

this.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-10-27 15:49:16  
What exactly are people thinking when they say that cor has more mab gear for WF? Honestly the only thing cor has is empy boots and -depending on situation- mab roll. Rest is pretty much the same exact gear.
 Siren.Gunshy
By Siren.Gunshy 2011-10-27 15:54:41  
What exactly are people thinking when they say that cor has more mab gear for WF? Honestly the only thing cor has is empy boots and -depending on situation- mab roll. Rest is pretty much the same exact gear.

This is true. I think its more to do with the idea that cor can afford to replace some of its Mab pieces for AGI gear even if the advantages are miniscule.
 Leviathan.Alkalinejoe
By Leviathan.Alkalinejoe 2011-10-27 16:01:16  
Well, I haven't done a lot of voidwatch, but been using Gandiva in it and I rarely pull hate with the hate tools we have now. Right now I've decided to build an Annhilator so I would go with build a Gandiva and an Annhilator.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5