[Dev] DRK - Magic Usage
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-12-08 16:18:10  
Leviathan.Phenomena said: »
Both dark holy and unholy sound HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. dark/darkness/herpes all sound better. because i dont want dark banish1-5 or unbanish.... xD

How does unholy sound HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, it's the oposite of holy :P
 Bismarck.Zuidar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2011-12-08 16:21:53  
What about Dark Abyss or something like that?

Edit: I kinda thought about the spell "Scourge" but that name is used for the relic GS weaponskill. just throwing it out there
By Dourid 2011-12-08 16:38:17  
At first thought, I'm surprised they're still playing this "drk needs to cast more!" card. Then again, not so much considering occult acumen is not even close to noticeable and aspir alone supplied more mp than you ever might have needed. I will admit; absorb-attri made casting more 'fun'.. but as far as benefit goes, it depends completely on the mob.
So many attempts to encourage people to cast more, it's honestly almost making me think dark knight is supposed to be more of a mage job. I admit; it's a shame giving drk all these neat-on-paper spells only to see no one using them, but it's their own damn fault for making them only fun to use rather than being actually useful.
If it is to implemented, I'm so inb4'ing it now: Accidentally making Darkness/II overpowered then nerfing it to hell where it will find a crowded home among the never-used spells.

I do, however, really like the mp souleater idea, it's just rather disappointing to hear that drk would be considered op for having something like that. It's understandable, but the idea is far from outrageous.

Anyway, an off the top of my head suggestion would be a spell that enhances the next attack/ws performed. Now that, I could see getting some use. Otherwise, I really don't know what else they could add to improve spell casting from drks.

I'm not saying i'm disappointed at all with what drk already has at its disposal, but all in all, I don't give a damn what they add, as long as it's useful.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Shadobi
サーバ: Ifrit
user: shadobi
By Ifrit.Shadobi 2011-12-08 17:15:30  
Dark Knight should get a sword summoning (aka Sword Familiar) weapon like Alucard(Castlevania)that can weapon skill and cast magic on its own. Its in the game already with Arcana type "Evil Weapons"
 Leviathan.Phenomena
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2011-12-08 17:22:41  
it would make sense if they gave drk temper... like srsly rdm? fail..

or even a spell that gives 10% quad att... lol that would be nice. 5 second casting with a 3 min recast lasts 1min..
 Carbuncle.Hysoka
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Hyso
By Carbuncle.Hysoka 2011-12-08 17:28:12  
All we'll get is Aspir 3, since they want us to have more and more mp ! (god knows why tho)
 Bismarck.Stani
By Bismarck.Stani 2011-12-08 17:37:06  
The already existing answers to this problem are to either make some casts instant (Spontaneity style) or take less time (Elemental Celerity for Dark Magic). Neither are very fun or imaginative fixes if you ask me, that's jut giving jobs what they want for free.

In the vein of radical changes to how the game works, how about Enchanted Weapons (Cursed Weapon for DRK, Blessed Shield for PLD). By doing something you already do with your weapon, such as successive hits/shield blocks, your spell casting gets augmented. Land/block 5 swings with Enchanted Weapon active, and your next cast is faster/instant. WS with Enchanted Weapon active, and your next spell gets an accuracy and/or potency boost. Cast a spell with Enchanted Weapon active, and it has less/no recast. Use a JA while Enchanted Weapon is up, and get access to more spells similar to SCH Addendums. 2HR with Enchanted Weapon, and it comes to life, which is nearly the case already with Invincible calling on your shield to defend you, and Blood Weapon drawing strength and life from the weapon.

If any job would have a magical relationship with their weaponry, it'd be DRK and PLD. Evolutionarily speaking, I find it easier to believe that PLD and DRK would rise because of their elegant use of magic in combination with weapons, not because they happened to learn a couple spells along the way. They're just melee that use Scythe/GS/Sword/Shield and have a few spells that are rarely worth casting now, they aren't masters of combining the art of melee with the science of magic.
 Titan.Bomber
サーバ: Titan
user: Bomber
By Titan.Bomber 2011-12-08 22:38:52  
holy and holy2 kinds of spells for DRK would be nice lol something i would like SE adjusting would be weapon bash...aegis has a crazy shield bash why cant DRK have a 500-1k dmg weapon bash and the bash giving mobs bad breath like debuffs ..that would be sick souleater for mp sounds awesome too :)
By veddertehtaco 2011-12-09 03:59:44  
things that would draw me back to ffxi<<

-dark celerity in the form of basically cutting all our dark magic cast times by 50% (screw gear swapping for this)and recast by 50%(note some spells would need tweaking around this so as not to OP them)
-dark magic potency and accuracy increased, I wanna be able to land my stuff w/o too much gear swapping ( I remember waaaaay back when hogg was "Teh shizz" an not many shells could kill it that landing any aborbs was not gonna happen an if SE wants drk casting we better be able to land)
-THE FREAKING ABSORB LINE FIXED! no decay! add darkness damage so these can be our mini nukes and add another reason to cast them! UNNERF ABS-TP! seriously make it nerfed only for /drk! even then who cares! i dont see many jobs rockin /drk do you?
-add more spells in line with the >FIXED< absorb line like absorb speed/attack/defense/mDef/MAB;add a drain-regen type spell(hell sch and blm can have it too for all i care)
-get rid of these stupid attack penalties on the new ws's.... seriously....wtf

I dont wanna become some magic casting melee-er, I want the ***i do have to work the way it always should have, we should be able to stand toe to toe with the master DDs jobs BY USING OUR MAGIC TO INFLUENCE OUR OUTPUT, endark and abs-atr and some of our other spells are like just a nudge from where this could happen but like i believe nighfyre (or byrth?) have said, its the games fundamental design that screws drk.

BTW why do people get so caught up in the scythe vs gsd thing? one has far more versatility then the other (considering apoc <cata/entropy> vs cala <torc/reso>) and the other can put out pretty high damage. both are great im sure other DDs wish they had the ability to "whine" about their main weapons (SAM is a good example, war too hell most jobs)
By volkom 2011-12-09 04:06:12  
veddertehtaco said: »
things that would draw me back to ffxi<<

-dark celerity in the form of basically cutting all our dark magic cast times by 50% (screw gear swapping for this)and recast by 50%(note some spells would need tweaking around this so as not to OP them)
-dark magic potency and accuracy increased, I wanna be able to land my stuff w/o too much gear swapping ( I remember waaaaay back when hogg was "Teh shizz" an not many shells could kill it that landing any aborbs was not gonna happen an if SE wants drk casting we better be able to land)
-THE FREAKING ABSORB LINE FIXED! no decay! add darkness damage so these can be our mini nukes and add another reason to cast them! UNNERF ABS-TP! seriously make it nerfed only for /drk! even then who cares! i dont see many jobs rockin /drk do you?
-add more spells in line with the >FIXED< absorb line like absorb speed/attack/defense/mDef/MAB;add a drain-regen type spell(hell sch and blm can have it too for all i care)
-get rid of these stupid attack penalties on the new ws's.... seriously....wtf

I dont wanna become some magic casting melee-er, I want the ***i do have to work the way it always should have, we should be able to stand toe to toe with the master DDs jobs BY USING OUR MAGIC TO INFLUENCE OUR OUTPUT, endark and abs-atr and some of our other spells are like just a nudge from where this could happen but like i believe nighfyre (or byrth?) have said, its the games fundamental design that screws drk.

BTW why do people get so caught up in the scythe vs gsd thing? one has far more versatility then the other (considering apoc <cata/entropy> vs cala <torc/reso>) and the other can put out pretty high damage. both are great im sure other DDs wish they had the ability to "whine" about their main weapons (SAM is a good example, war too hell most jobs)

I want in all in 1 weapon, that has great utility and does really good damage. and I would like to cast magic that has utility and is beneficial to myself or party members when I cast it.
By veddertehtaco 2011-12-09 04:13:47  
yea well "abs-attk/def" definately would be beneficial to all, most absorbs are if your using them right (in theory lolabsorbs as they currently stand)as for the weapon thing i kinda like the fact its in two dif weapons, makes us less cookie cutter in a way (just my opinion) hell I have a cala 90 but i want an apoc too and you bet i'd be using both at dif times for dif things. if we stack one weapon too much vs another, and we're the only job that really uses scythe/gsd, then much like raelia(sp sorry rae) has said the "non-stacked one" would go the way of the dodo bird cus why use something completely inferior to another for all situations?

edited spelling and grammar
By Sakuhra 2011-12-09 04:50:14  
I like the idea of "dark holy" or w/e and we should get more usefull abs spells like some already said abs-att/def/haste?(would be good for soloing or if lazy mages dont haste you + slow on the mob) etc
Endark is cool but Endrain would be awesome (yes SE might say that would be op but I dont think that endrain would be op since we could sub dnc and use drain samba?)
 Odin.Eikechi
サーバ: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2011-12-09 05:01:19  
drain samba is a pretty weak drain when compared to one's damage... and um.. your 2 hour does that already >_<
By Sakuhra 2011-12-09 05:07:16  
I know what the 2hour does but heal hp every 2hour isnt that usefull anymore.
Dont get me wrong blood weapon + souleater is awesome but a decent but not overpowered endrain would still be nice
 Fenrir.Leoheart
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2011-12-09 05:55:42  
Apocalypse
 Phoenix.Urteil
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2011-12-09 06:06:55  
You're welcome.
By Sakuhra 2011-12-09 06:10:35  
Fenrir.Leoheart said: »
Apocalypse
Yes, Apocalypse + Endrain spell would be interesting lol
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-12-09 07:37:49  
I came back to re-read through this this morning. I can't tell who's srs and who's patronizing anymore T.T
 Fenrir.Leoheart
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2011-12-09 07:42:38  
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
I came back to re-read through this this morning. I can't tell who's srs and who's patronizing anymore T.T

I was being sort of serious :P
----------------------------------------
But yeah, an endrain spell would make Blood weapon near redundant. That being unless the Endrain spell in question had a much more insignificant effect compared to blood weapon.
 Asura.Wyrd
サーバ: Asura
user: kylericks
By Asura.Wyrd 2011-12-09 08:30:04  
So I don't play Drk and never will...however these are some ideas I've kicked around for a while...I also lack my token at work and don't really post on the SE Boards. Perhaps Kalilla would pass these on if they are interesting.

1) Add a trait to drk that increases MACC with Dark Magic based on the the skill posessed with equipped main weapon. This could be limited to Scythe (which I think is thematically more appropriate) and gives a reason to focus on Scythe as a Drk.

2) Curse. Give this spell to Drk. Allow them to place a curse effect on the enemy. The idea would be to give an HP penalty the mob would have to heal up when it wears off as well as a gravity effect. Specifically allow this to have a good MACC trait so Drk can legitimately use this.

3) Contagion. Allow the Drk to cast a dark spell that gives the Plague effect. No HP curing, and slowly drain TP. I see this as a use for Endgame fights so give it a high MACC bonus.

4) Doom. At 99, give straight Doom. Make NMs of level 90+ (arbitrary number) immune. Give low MACC so the Drk will have to go out and collect a set of gear just for this. Allow this to finally be a legitimate source of Doom which works (only one imo). Give it a 5 minute timer. I can see this being something used in Dynamis or similar long-time events to allow the drk a quick way to deal with one link or to drop an extra kill.

All three of these should be drk only. Let drk have its own spells. I play BLM and SCH and while I would like some of them, I would rather see the jobs get reinforcements in their identity.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-12-09 08:43:28  
The only way to "improve" DRK's usage of spells is to make it so that spell-casting either *improves* melee DPS, or *at least* doesn't gimp melee DPS. Otherwise, the argument that melee'ing continuously without stopping to cast = the best damage output will always hold true.

Some ideas:

1. Casting elemental magic spells adds an "afterspell/aftermath" potent temporary Enspell effect, or,

2. Casting enfeebling magic spells adds a "afterspell/aftermath" potent "additional effect: enfeeble" effect. Examples: En-Petrify, En-Plague, En-Paralyze, En-Feint, En-Silence, En-Stun, En-Amnesia, etc, or

3. *Significant* TP gain procs from casting nukes and Absorb-spells, or

4. Haste (magical type) boost when under the effect of an Absorb-spell, or

5. Job Ability, similar to Scholar's Ebullience, with a low cooldown timer, that significantly boosts Magic Damage on the next cast. Introducing new DRK JSE that increases the effect of the new JA would possibly make this even more attractive.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-12-09 08:59:58  
Bismarck.Elanabelle said: »
The only way to "improve" DRK's usage of spells is to make it so that spell-casting either *improves* melee DPS, or *at least* doesn't gimp melee DPS. Otherwise, the argument that melee'ing continuously without stopping to cast = the best damage output will always hold true. Some ideas: 1. Casting elemental magic spells adds an "afterspell/aftermath" potent temporary Enspell effect, or, 2. Casting enfeebling magic spells adds a "afterspell/aftermath" potent "additional effect: enfeeble" effect. Examples: En-Petrify, En-Plague, En-Paralyze, En-Feint, En-Silence, En-Stun, En-Amnesia, etc, or 3. *Significant* TP gain procs from casting nukes and Absorb-spells, or 4. Haste (magical type) boost when under the effect of an Absorb-spell, or 5. Job Ability, similar to Scholar's Ebullience, with a low cooldown timer, that significantly boosts Magic Damage on the next cast. Introducing new DRK JSE that increases the effect of the new JA would possibly make this even more attractive.

I think these are all pretty solid suggestions. I think each one could be easily tested and balanced to make sure it doesn't overpower too. You should try suggesting these to SE.

*edit* knowing SE it would be equip or job abil haste (shakes fist)
[+]
 Sylph.Alcadias
サーバ: Sylph
user: Equinoxx
By Sylph.Alcadias 2011-12-09 09:28:14  
Asura.Wyrd said: »
So I don't play Drk and never will...however these are some ideas I've kicked around for a while...I also lack my token at work and don't really post on the SE Boards. Perhaps Kalilla would pass these on if they are interesting. 1) Add a trait to drk that increases MACC with Dark Magic based on the the skill posessed with equipped main weapon. This could be limited to Scythe (which I think is thematically more appropriate) and gives a reason to focus on Scythe as a Drk. 2) Curse. Give this spell to Drk. Allow them to place a curse effect on the enemy. The idea would be to give an HP penalty the mob would have to heal up when it wears off as well as a gravity effect. Specifically allow this to have a good MACC trait so Drk can legitimately use this. 3) Contagion. Allow the Drk to cast a dark spell that gives the Plague effect. No HP curing, and slowly drain TP. I see this as a use for Endgame fights so give it a high MACC bonus. 4) Doom. At 99, give straight Doom. Make NMs of level 90+ (arbitrary number) immune. Give low MACC so the Drk will have to go out and collect a set of gear just for this. Allow this to finally be a legitimate source of Doom which works (only one imo). Give it a 5 minute timer. I can see this being something used in Dynamis or similar long-time events to allow the drk a quick way to deal with one link or to drop an extra kill. All three of these should be drk only. Let drk have its own spells. I play BLM and SCH and while I would like some of them, I would rather see the jobs get reinforcements in their identity.
i really like the contagion and doom idea those sound pretty good and i can agree on having to have a MACC/dark magic skill set for these
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-12-09 09:34:02  
Sylph.Alcadias said: »
Asura.Wyrd said: »
So I don't play Drk and never will...however these are some ideas I've kicked around for a while...I also lack my token at work and don't really post on the SE Boards. Perhaps Kalilla would pass these on if they are interesting. 1) Add a trait to drk that increases MACC with Dark Magic based on the the skill posessed with equipped main weapon. This could be limited to Scythe (which I think is thematically more appropriate) and gives a reason to focus on Scythe as a Drk. 2) Curse. Give this spell to Drk. Allow them to place a curse effect on the enemy. The idea would be to give an HP penalty the mob would have to heal up when it wears off as well as a gravity effect. Specifically allow this to have a good MACC trait so Drk can legitimately use this. 3) Contagion. Allow the Drk to cast a dark spell that gives the Plague effect. No HP curing, and slowly drain TP. I see this as a use for Endgame fights so give it a high MACC bonus. 4) Doom. At 99, give straight Doom. Make NMs of level 90+ (arbitrary number) immune. Give low MACC so the Drk will have to go out and collect a set of gear just for this. Allow this to finally be a legitimate source of Doom which works (only one imo). Give it a 5 minute timer. I can see this being something used in Dynamis or similar long-time events to allow the drk a quick way to deal with one link or to drop an extra kill. All three of these should be drk only. Let drk have its own spells. I play BLM and SCH and while I would like some of them, I would rather see the jobs get reinforcements in their identity.
i really like the contagion and doom idea those sound pretty good and i can agree on having to have a MACC/dark magic skill set for these

Some jobs already get plague (blu and sam's blade bash iirc) so its not far fetched to give to drk. The problem with doom not working on NMs is that then you would only cast as a novelty. That doesn't really "help" drk use mp because it would be like elemental spells are now.
 Carbuncle.Khane
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Khane
By Carbuncle.Khane 2011-12-09 09:46:04  
What they really need to do is tweek Blood Weapon to reduce weapon delay for 2H weapons by 50% or somethin, i only use scythes on drk and every time i'm forced to 2hr it takes about 10 seconds before I even take 1 swing and i'm lucky to get 3 hits in before it wears off :\
I always thought elemental magic was wasted on DRKs too, Drain/Aspir/Stun/Absorb spells are all most drks ever use anyway >.>
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-12-09 09:52:08  
Carbuncle.Khane said: »
What they really need to do is tweek Blood Weapon to reduce weapon delay for 2H weapons by 50% or somethin, i only use scythes on drk and every time i'm forced to 2hr it takes about 10 seconds before I even take 1 swing and i'm lucky to get 3 hits in before it wears off :\
I always thought elemental magic was wasted on DRKs too, Drain/Aspir/Stun/Absorb spells are all most drks ever use anyway >.>

Desperate blows is capping your JA haste, so you can scratch that!
+ it would be overpowered as fork with any more lol
 Diabolos.Raelia
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-12-09 10:05:28  
I mistyped 'Endark' as 'Endrain' for a week or two. The latter would be neat but not enough of a mp sink to be relevant to the thread.
 Fenrir.Kaomii
user: Kaomii
By Fenrir.Kaomii 2011-12-09 10:36:36  
We all know the reason casting/recast time is doubled while under Hasso/Seigan is because it would have made Sam/Nin near invincible (this applying to, like, years ago).

I think a good step in the right direction would be to adjust Hasso/Seigan to either not affect magic casting/recast at all, or limit the penalty to Ninjutsu only. This alone would probably be enough to coerce Drks that never cast spells to at least start.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-12-09 10:50:25  
I disagree. It's not just hasso that discourages casting during tp. It's the delay in your DOT. You need to either do enough spike from the cast to equate to (or beat) the damage you would have put out by swinging alone, or be casting something worthwhile enough to trump damage dealing. They made dancer not be raped by job ability delay... they could do something at least similar for drk but I think it's a lost cause. Unless they modify drks manner for casting elemental, or augment it to somehow give you more to your tp phase, it will forever be something you just do for the novelty (or trying to proc red out of boredom in VW).
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8